DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Morning, Gents! had a great day yesterday at work. Had 95 patients and a great co-worker, so the day went by quickly. Was listening to the weather at work yesterday, it's about the only channel that the TV gets in the waiting room, and according to the weather people, we're due for a big storm for this weekend. Depending on who you listen to, and how the storm tracks, we could get anywhere from 1 to 3 feet of snow. Plus winds. They're looking at wind gusts of 60 - 70 mph, so we're probably looking at power outages. I have a generator, and one of the circuits it runs is the heat, but it doesn't run all night and it's due to get brutally cold at night, so worried about pipes. I guess I'll just have to drip the faucets all night. Too early to do anything about it now, but at least I'm thinking of something in case it does happen. Well that's it, have to run and get ready for work. Have a good day, gents.

TTFN

Good morning. I had an email this morning about the upcoming Disney Company annual meeting. I went ahead and filled out my proxy vote online. It felt great to click the "against" option next to Chapek's name. Just wish I had enough shares to make a difference. :rotfl2:

Sometimes all it takes is to let people know you disagree with them.

Update on DS basketball team. We finally hit the wall last night. We've been hearing about the coach yelling at practice. We'd heard certain inappropriate words had been used. Apparently it got back to the school administration and he had to apologize to the team. After that though, things started getting better. More kids were playing. We weren't hearing anything negative about practices. And they actually played very competitively last week, particularly Thursday. I guess because they did so well on Thursday the coach cancelled practice on Friday. But that meant no practice before their next game on Monday. Which turned out to be... ugly.

Yesterday was DS birthday... we heard him crying in his room after he went to bed last night. We checked on him and he was upset and said that it was the worst birthday ever. Finally got it out of him that the coach was yelling at them in practice and basketball isn't fun anymore. He said he doesn't want to play anymore.

Man, that's tough, sorry to hear that. I think what you said in the post below will help out a lot.

It's a tough one. He even said he still likes basketball and wants to be able to play, but he doesn't have fun and doesn't want to play.

There's a girl who graduated from our HS a few years ago who set like every school record as a point guard and went on to play D2 where she also had a ton of success. She has come back to the area and is starting to offer lessons on ball handling fundamentals (which is one thing this coach doesn't spend much time on) so we're going to have her start working with him and DD. Hopefully some time with her will help him improve his skills and change his attitude. I try working with him, but he never wants to listen to me. You know how it is, parents don't know what they're talking about.

Getting this young lady to help out with ball handling will go a long ways, I'm sure.

It's a tough situation... it is a school team so this is the team. There are other parents who are very upset and literally waiting for him to slip with profanities again or cross some line again and go straight to the school board. However, while he's ticked a lot of people off and yelled at and talked down to kids, he has been very good about walking that fine line to where probably nothing that will happen to him. And the fact that he does play favorites with his kid and a couple of others who are close friends... well let's just say there are about 4 - 5 families out of the 13 boys on the team that sit right behind the bench with smiles on their faces and would fully support him. One of which has close ties to the principal.

And there's the problem, hate when that happens.

It's a tough one. He even said he still likes basketball and wants to be able to play, but he doesn't have fun and doesn't want to play.

There's a girl who graduated from our HS a few years ago who set like every school record as a point guard and went on to play D2 where she also had a ton of success. She has come back to the area and is starting to offer lessons on ball handling fundamentals (which is one thing this coach doesn't spend much time on) so we're going to have her start working with him and DD. Hopefully some time with her will help him improve his skills and change his attitude. I try working with him, but he never wants to listen to me. You know how it is, parents don't know what they're talking about.
Like the rest of us, I hate it for your young'en. Not how things "should" go, but I think your idea of trying to let him work with folks that are purely in it for the sake of game and learning is a good direction.

It's a tough situation... it is a school team so this is the team. There are other parents who are very upset and literally waiting for him to slip with profanities again or cross some line again and go straight to the school board. However, while he's ticked a lot of people off and yelled at and talked down to kids, he has been very good about walking that fine line to where probably nothing that will happen to him. And the fact that he does play favorites with his kid and a couple of others who are close friends... well let's just say there are about 4 - 5 families out of the 13 boys on the team that sit right behind the bench with smiles on their faces and would fully support him. One of which has close ties to the principal.
Yeah, that does tend to be how things work.
That ain't right either, but those who see an advantage, will tend toward protecting that advantage.

Depending on who you listen to, and how the storm tracks, we could get anywhere from 1 to 3 feet of snow. Plus winds. They're looking at wind gusts of 60 - 70 mph, so we're probably looking at power outages.
Could be quite the mess. Good that y'all have better facilities for dealing with it.
The local forecasters are in a tizzy about it hitting here on its way up the coast, but I don't think we'll see much if anything beyond cold rain.
A very cold rain.

Morning Gents, it's a bit on the cool side today. It's about -20F right now so I'm glad to be inside. Although I may have to make sure I have sweatpants on for today's Zoom calls.

Have a good one all.

Morning, Gents! had a great day yesterday at work. Had 95 patients and a great co-worker, so the day went by quickly. Was listening to the weather at work yesterday, it's about the only channel that the TV gets in the waiting room, and according to the weather people, we're due for a big storm for this weekend. Depending on who you listen to, and how the storm tracks, we could get anywhere from 1 to 3 feet of snow. Plus winds. They're looking at wind gusts of 60 - 70 mph, so we're probably looking at power outages. I have a generator, and one of the circuits it runs is the heat, but it doesn't run all night and it's due to get brutally cold at night, so worried about pipes. I guess I'll just have to drip the faucets all night. Too early to do anything about it now, but at least I'm thinking of something in case it does happen. Well that's it, have to run and get ready for work. Have a good day, gents.

That's tracking here as well. We are forecast to get a foot on Saturday, more to the south of us I believe.

48 hours away and we still have no idea how much snow we're going to get from the storm. Could be 1-3 inches, could be over a foot, and I'll leave it to the rest of you to apply the appropriate hashtags for that.

Morning, Fellas! Well, we are now in the calm before the storm. Just watched the weather and it looks like they're predicting the storm to be a "Bomb Cyclone," which I had to look up. Apparently its where a storm intensifies really quickly in a 24 hour period, if I understood it correctly. As for how much snow? I live right at line of upper-Cape and mid-Cape, so it depends on where the storm tracks, or, again, who you listen to, but we're due to get close to 2' of snow, possibly more, depending how it tracks. As for the winds? They're predicting wind gusts of up to 70+ mph, possibly reaching 80 mph here on parts of the Cape, so basically reaching hurricane force. I think it's safe to say that we're going to lose power. My DD is having a sleepover at Nana's tonight, and possibly tomorrow night considering the storm...I'll ask the Mrs. how she wants to proceed with this one. I went to the store yesterday after work and got what I need, so provision wise we're fine. Outside that, I'm heading to the local production of Godspell to take pictures during the show. I have a good telephoto lens and I'll set myself up in the back of the theater and have fun. Otherwise the week's going well. Have a good day, Gents.

TTFN

Could be quite the mess. Good that y'all have better facilities for dealing with it.
The local forecasters are in a tizzy about it hitting here on its way up the coast, but I don't think we'll see much if anything beyond cold rain.
A very cold rain.

Just about every other pickup truck has a plow attachment added to it. My neighbor use to have one for his tuck, but we went like 2 winters without a lot of snow, and you're required to carry a million in insurance, so it wasn't worth it for him, so he sold it. The local power company will have extra trucks/crews on for this weekend as well. They'll be coming from off Cape and parking in various spots around the Cape, so if we do lose power, hopefully it won't be for too long. The longest we've gone without power has been 4 days. The power company's done a great job in the last few years cutting tree limbs back from the powerlines, so hopefully if we do lose power it won't be for too long.

Morning Gents, it's a bit on the cool side today. It's about -20F right now so I'm glad to be inside. Although I may have to make sure I have sweatpants on for today's Zoom calls.

Have a good one all.

That's cold. Brrr

That's tracking here as well. We are forecast to get a foot on Saturday, more to the south of us I believe.

Hopefully it won't be too bad for you.

48 hours away and we still have no idea how much snow we're going to get from the storm. Could be 1-3 inches, could be over a foot, and I'll leave it to the rest of you to apply the appropriate hashtags for that.

They've been predicting big snow falls for us since Wednesday, so I'm surprised they don't know for you yet.

Well, we are now in the calm before the storm. Just watched the weather and it looks like they're predicting the storm to be a "Bomb Cyclone," which I had to look up. Apparently its where a storm intensifies really quickly in a 24 hour period, if I understood it correctly. As for how much snow? I live right at line of upper-Cape and mid-Cape, so it depends on where the storm tracks, or, again, who you listen to, but we're due to get close to 2' of snow, possibly more, depending how it tracks. As for the winds? They're predicting wind gusts of up to 70+ mph, possibly reaching 80 mph here on parts of the Cape, so basically reaching hurricane force.
:scared:
Stay safe

I'm hearing the word "Bombogenesis" being thrown around. Sounds dire and now looking out my window and in going outside I can believe it! Photos don't even do justice to this! I can't even see my neighbor's yard across the way. My birdies outside are frantically eating whatever I put on my windowsill before it becomes covered in snow. I've got so many Juncos, which I have never seen before in the backyard, as well as sparrows and mourning doves, all converging on my seed and suet supply!

Well we didn't have Rob's luck, probably a foot or more came down yesterday and lots of high winds. Thankfully it was all nice and light.

Morning All, another week is upon us.

Sunny and bright here today but moving back to the cold side if the scale. More reason to stay inside.

Have a good one all.

The snow didn't hit us as hard as it could have. We got about 6 inches total. It was enough to give us an excuse to stay in all weekend and watch football, though.

Morning All, another week is upon us.
Wait. When did the last one end???
The snow didn't hit us as hard as it could have. We got about 6 inches total.
That's still a fair amount. Suspect that will keep you busy for a bit.
It was enough to give us an excuse to stay in all weekend and watch football, though.
:thumbsup2
I was working (I know... you're shocked) so missed both games, but did get to see a fair amount of the 4th quarter of the Bengals/Chiefs game. Nice that both were close games.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter