DCL Summer 2017 Megathread - Itineraries are out!

Wow, those are great prices!

Can I tell you, yesterday I was looking to switch my Oct 2016 Magic booking out of NYC to the Vista leaving a few weeks later also out of NY. Magic is 7 nts (Port Canaveral and CC) and I think we're paying about 4K (2A/1C) for a 9A OV.

The Vista is an 11 night 'Journeys' cruise (they are longer cruises, do some special events, etc), with 5 port days, 5 sea days. It would be ~$3500 for the 3 of us in an interior Harbor something or another room which has access to a 'family' Concierge lounge and a few other perks.

I'm still debating it (made a pros/cons list - ha!) and I'm not 100% convinced that we won't switch. The timing isn't great tho, we'd get back the week before T'giving, and that's our holiday to host; I usually take that week off to cook and clean. We'd also be gone for my son's b'day, which would probably irritate certain extended family members...so maybe we should go? :P

We booked an Oceanview today (09C- 2116) for our first Alaskan Cruise. It ran $3,548.86 for 2A on the May 22 sailing and we will apply OBB for an additional $350 off, so we decided to book it. We were planning for about 3k. I was hoping to get a better stateroom but this will have to do. Any opinions?

Can I tell you, yesterday I was looking to switch my Oct 2016 Magic booking out of NYC to the Vista leaving a few weeks later also out of NY. Magic is 7 nts (Port Canaveral and CC) and I think we're paying about 4K (2A/1C) for a 9A OV.

The Vista is an 11 night 'Journeys' cruise (they are longer cruises, do some special events, etc), with 5 port days, 5 sea days. It would be ~$3500 for the 3 of us in an interior Harbor something or another room which has access to a 'family' Concierge lounge and a few other perks.

I'm still debating it (made a pros/cons list - ha!) and I'm not 100% convinced that we won't switch. The timing isn't great tho, we'd get back the week before T'giving, and that's our holiday to host; I usually take that week off to cook and clean. We'd also be gone for my son's b'day, which would probably irritate certain extended family members...so maybe we should go? :P
We are booked on the Vista out of Athens Oct 11 10 days in an Harbor ocean view for 1,973. I'm not sure I want to go to Europe twice in a 4 month period so I'm also looking at the 11 night Nov 16. It's around 3k for an ocean view. The prices on the New York cruises have gone up quite a bit. They were actually a lot less than that. The one thing about Carnival you can get price protection with certain rates. If the price drops after the PIF date you get OBC.

We are booked on the Vista out of Athens Oct 11 10 days in an Harbor ocean view for 1,973. I'm not sure I want to go to Europe twice in a 4 month period so I'm also looking at the 11 night Nov 16. It's around 3k for an ocean view. The prices on the New York cruises have gone up quite a bit. They were actually a lot less than that. The one thing about Carnival you can get price protection with certain rates. If the price drops after the PIF date you get OBC.
We got the price protection on our Mediterranean cruise, it started at $4400 and dropped to $4000. It's pretty funny when reading the carnival boards how mad they get when their prices don't drop when they book it 9 months before sailing date. So totally the opposite of DCL, when we get so excited that we book it 18 months early and it goes up $x,000.

We got the price protection on our Mediterranean cruise, it started at $4400 and dropped to $4000. It's pretty funny when reading the carnival boards how mad they get when their prices don't drop when they book it 9 months before sailing date. So totally the opposite of DCL, when we get so excited that we book it 18 months early and it goes up $x,000.
Prices do drop on DCL after PIF date. Except you have to cancel, pay a penalty, and then rebook if it saves you any money. Not to mention you lose the room you booked. It's why I'm reluctant to book a DCL cruise before the PIF date. It seems the more they raise prices the more they discount after PIF.

Ridiculous pricing. We were quoted $15,000 for 2 cat. 11's on the June 28 Norway sailing. When you include excursions, tips, and souvenirs, you are looking at least $20,000. That's almost a year's salary for a a kid who just got out of college!

We are platinum CC members, but just booked Royal Caribbean 12 day Baltic that has 5 countries (instead of DCL 3 countries) oceanview rooms and it is $7,000 less.

It's not the money, it's the principle of it. I was speaking to my travel agent and they have a lot of DCL veterans who are switching to other cruise lines because they can't see the point in paying double or almost triple the price.

We booked an Oceanview today (09C- 2116) for our first Alaskan Cruise. It ran $3,548.86 for 2A on the May 22 sailing and we will apply OBB for an additional $350 off, so we decided to book it. We were planning for about 3k. I was hoping to get a better stateroom but this will have to do. Any opinions?

We had booked a 9C for our 2015 Alaska cruise. We got to the port early - cab dropped us off at 10:00am. There were no lines then and we checked-in quickly and then walked down to the manager's desk to inquire about an upgrade. We got lucky and were able to move to a verandah for about $600 for our family of 4. It would have cost us another $2K to book the verandah upfront, which I wasn't willing to pay. But I was more than happy to pay $600. You might want to check at the port and see how much an upgrade will cost you. Since they price it by the room (and not per person) it was very economical for our family of 4 - might not be as much of a "bargain" for just 2 of you. But its worth checking. I know I'm getting obnoxiously repetitive, but that verandah made an enormous difference in our cruise experience. We loved having it!

It's not the money, it's the principle of it. I was speaking to my travel agent and they have a lot of DCL veterans who are switching to other cruise lines because they can't see the point in paying double or almost triple the price.

We've done 8 Disney cruises (going on 9), and I just booked our FIRST cruise on another line - 2017 Norwegian Fjords on Holland America's new ship. Super excited - 4 of us in a verandah for $5,300 (7 nights). For us, its not the principle . . . its the money - lol. Well ok, and we're ready for something different anyway. Honestly, those fjords are so gorgeous, I think I'd sail them in a row boat!!

We had booked a 9C for our 2015 Alaska cruise. We got to the port early - cab dropped us off at 10:00am. There were no lines then and we checked-in quickly and then walked down to the manager's desk to inquire about an upgrade. We got lucky and were able to move to a verandah for about $600 for our family of 4. It would have cost us another $2K to book the verandah upfront, which I wasn't willing to pay. But I was more than happy to pay $600. You might want to check at the port and see how much an upgrade will cost you. Since they price it by the room (and not per person) it was very economical for our family of 4 - might not be as much of a "bargain" for just 2 of you. But its worth checking. I know I'm getting obnoxiously repetitive, but that verandah made an enormous difference in our cruise experience. We loved having it!

Thank you for this! We will try and do that. If ended up being $3233ish after the 10%- which I'm pretty happy with. If we can upgrade for $600 (it's running about $1300 more on the site right now) id probably do it! :)

We've done 8 Disney cruises (going on 9), and I just booked our FIRST cruise on another line - 2017 Norwegian Fjords on Holland America's new ship. Super excited - 4 of us in a verandah for $5,300 (7 nights). For us, its not the principle . . . its the money - lol. Well ok, and we're ready for something different anyway. Honestly, those fjords are so gorgeous, I think I'd sail them in a row boat!!

Just so you know you're not alone: For us it's also not the principle but the actual MONEY, too lol! (Well a little bit principle . . . )

We are sailing our second DCL in December 2016 and then we will be done. It will be wonderful and will be a checked off item on our bucket list with our children. After that, we won't be able to sail in the off season any more and DCL just won't be affordable for us any longer. That's OK, though - because our children will be older there will be new and different adventures to anticipate in the future!

Thank you for this! We will try and do that. If ended up being $3233ish after the 10%- which I'm pretty happy with. If we can upgrade for $600 (it's running about $1300 more on the site right now) id probably do it! :)

Had to go back to my TR to double check (terrible memory here!) - Exact cost was $615, which was for a 5B on deck 6 (originally a 9C on deck 2). Good luck to you!

I remember reading your TR last year and also remember that fabulous $600 upgrade!! We will definitely head to the port early for our Alaskan cruise next year (it helps that we live in the same city lol)

I remember reading your TR last year and also remember that fabulous $600 upgrade!! We will definitely head to the port early for our Alaskan cruise next year (it helps that we live in the same city lol)

For some reason, I was thinking you were going THIS summer? Maybe the exchange rate will get better before you have to make final payment! We truly loved BC. I think about Tofino just about every day and my heart aches! You are so lucky to live in such a beautiful place.

DCL requires 20% down to book a cruise. Does anyone know what RCCL's booking requirement is?
RCI's deposit requirements vary by the length of the cruise, as well as any current promotions - like 50% off. My 7-night cruises are typically $250 pp for the first 2 people, and longer cruises have been $450 pp.

**I just checked several cruises on RCI. The normal deposit is $100 pp for 3-5 nights, $250 pp for 6-9 nights, and $450 pp for 10+ nights.The deposit applies to everyone in the cabin.

Last edited:
For some reason, I was thinking you were going THIS summer? Maybe the exchange rate will get better before you have to make final payment! We truly loved BC. I think about Tofino just about every day and my heart aches! You are so lucky to live in such a beautiful place.

Originally we were booked on the last August cruise for 2016, but we changed it due to the falling CDN $ for a Bahama's cruise. Somehow I managed to talk my husband into doing Alaska in 2017 for the 5 day cruise lol :banana:

Have a question about booking cruises through Dreams Unlimited - are there any negatives to booking through them? Seems you pay the same as through the DCL website and get a larger on-board credit.

When it seems too good to be true I figure there has to be a downside. Anyone?

It depends on if you want an honest opinion or a Disney devotee opinion ;)

If this is a 7-night cruise, then I think it's overpriced for a 2A. As an example, the May sailings on HAL for an oceanview are averaging between $949 and $1040 per person. And they go to Glacier Bay. If you have an OBC it gives you one incentive, but the pricing (IMO) is too high for all of what Disney is offering anymore. But if you only want to experience Alaska with Disney, and we know no one does it like Disney, then you have made a good choice.

In June we will be sailing on the Vista 10 night Med Itinerary from Barcelona to Athens. With price drops we ended up getting our two adjoining verandah cabins for our family of 5 at around $6400. Our cruise is cheaper than our airfare.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter