DCL Dropped a cart of luggage in the water

maui2k5

DIS Veteran
Thankfully this is not us… we just watched the dock workers drop an entire cart of luggage into the water as they were loading it onto the Dream in Miami.

Yikes! We feel so bad for those who are going to get some bad news. They did fish all of it out.

ED6F2B50-642A-4F8B-AB02-1854AE83779C.jpeg4F914144-39D4-44D6-A040-EF911C4FAC31.jpeg

Last edited:

Noooo oh that's bad 😓 Hopefully this can be a training opportunity... "Stay AWAY from the water when handling luggage!"

Somebody's getting a plate of free rice crispy treats in their stateroom.

JK, I'm sure they'll get financial compensation. That water is likely polluted and will permanently damage or destroy much of the luggage contents, not to mention the disruption to those cruisers' vacations.

Thankfully this is not us… we just watched the dock workers drop an entire cart of luggage into the water as they were loading it onto the Dream in Miami.

Yikes! We feel so bad for those who are going to get some bad news. They did fish all of it out.

View attachment 708602View attachment 708603
What is funny…not really, but a few years ago, I overheard someone say the same thing-that their bag had fallen into the water while loading the ship.
I guess they didn’t learn from their mistake.

Any electronics would be ruined. electrics shavers, curling irons, laptops, phones etc. It could end up costing the cruise line some serious cash.

What is funny…not really, but a few years ago, I overheard someone say the same thing-that their bag had fallen into the water while loading the ship.
I guess they didn’t learn from their mistake.
I guess people still doing this job are still human. Stuff happens. What's important is if anyone was injured. Sure I'd be pissed if it were my bags but if they dry clean/launder all of our clothing, and give us a decent OBC for our troubles, I could accept that.

I would never put a phone or laptop in a checked bag. That would stay in my carry on. I have put meds in ziploc bags into checked bags but on second thought, I think next time I'll just keep them in my carry on.

Any electronics would be ruined. electrics shavers, curling irons, laptops, phones etc. It could end up costing the cruise line some serious cash.
I think it would be the Port of Miami that should pay, no? These are not DCL employees.

I guess people still doing this job are still human. Stuff happens. What's important is if anyone was injured. Sure I'd be pissed if it were my bags but if they dry clean/launder all of our clothing, and give us a decent OBC for our troubles, I could accept that.

I would never put a phone or laptop in a checked bag. That would stay in my carry on. I have put meds in ziploc bags into checked bags but on second thought, I think next time I'll just keep them in my carry on.
I remember a thread several years ago about a cart of luggage that went in the water before a trans-Atlantic cruise on the Magic. I believe that was out of the Port of Miami as well. But the ship was delayed leaving because people had put prescription medication in their checked bags, and they had to scramble to get refills before the ship left. Never put important meds in your checked luggage. Those should always be in your carry-on.

As I remember, DCL laundered or dry cleaned the clothes and otherwise compensated people for damage to their belongings.

This is not the first time this has happened. I really don't get how dock workers can be so incompetent.

Wow! Do you know if the baggage was being loaded or unloaded? I think I could deal with it after the cruise. Before would set a really bad tone for the whole trip.

This is why I take my bags onboard. I might give one bag to the porters if it's large, but all the important stuff stays with me. I hate checking bags I avoid it all costs if I can. The nice thing about DCL is they have self laundry so you can pack light. I'm always amazed at the amount of luggage people on DCL travel with.

Yep, and just remember those are not cruise line employees loading the luggage.
Because cruise employees are perfect robots who would never make a mistake and nothing ever goes wrong for them?
Laptops and phones are valuables which should be in your carry on.
This is not the first time this has happened. I really don't get how dock workers can be so incompetent.
Because they are human and mistakes happen? It happens everywhere, like in a supermarket where it sometimes happens that a full cart of sodas get topped over, in a bakery a full bag of flour dropped to the floor.

It is not that this happens on every cruise. Whatever industry you are in, there are mistakes made when humans are involved. Also by competent people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts