DCL Contact for help with hardship

It's the current cruise on the Fantasy that is having engine issues. She was supposed to go to Castaway Cay today (9/8), but instead is skipping that and slowly going right back to Port Canaveral. They are being offered the discount (plus OBC) as compensation. AFAIK there are no changes to the Fantasy sailing that departs tomorrow (9/9).

I do agree with your take that since the discount offered was compensation for the inconvenience, DCL is unlikely to offer that discount to someone who didn't experience that inconvenience because they weren't on the ship.
The 9/9 cruise was changed to a western Caribbean and they were offered 20% off future cruise.

The 9/9 cruise was changed to a western Caribbean and they were offered 20% off future cruise.
Oh, right. That's the one that was supposed to go to Bermuda and now is a Western Caribbean due to Lee.

Some were speculating there might be a delayed departure for the Fantasy tomorrow because it'll take her longer to get back to PC. I was referring more to that (and had forgotten that sailing had already been altered), but I wasn't clear.

Slightly related, is that three Fantasy cruises in a row that have been affected? 8/26 sailing switched from Western to Eastern itinerary , 8/2 sailing has engine issues and Castaway Cay missed, and 9/9 sailing switched from Bermuda to Western itinerary.

The current cruise with the mechanical issues was given a 25% discount off a future cruise. The letter has been posted on reddit.
Yes, sorry I mixed up weeks since we are not actually there... I got a note from people on the cruise and lost track of reality.

OP, before requesting to have your OBB reinstated, I would first check to see if the week you're interested in booking over Spring break is actually a blackout date for using an OBB. It would only pour salt on your wounds to plead for the OBB, then realize you can't even use it.

I hope it all works out for you and wishing your daughter a speedy recovery.

OP, before requesting to have your OBB reinstated, I would first check to see if the week you're interested in booking over Spring break is actually a blackout date for using an OBB. It would only pour salt on your wounds to plead for the OBB, then realize you can't even use it.

I hope it all works out for you and wishing your daughter a speedy recovery.
Yes agree. Based upon the helpful feedback from most of you, I adjusted our letter. I simply focused more on the hardship and devastation we faced for the past 2.5 weeks in the Pediatric ICU. And we ended up back in the ER this past Saturday for another night in the hospital for ripped staples and leakage. All is well now.

In my current draft letter, I did not ask for restoration of any specific credit or discount. I tried to express some of the feelings my daughter shared about missing the cruise. Yes, we lost our discount but I did check and the cruise we are looking at does fall on a blackout date so thanks for the reminder. I don't want to ask for something that is obviously restricted.

In my current draft letter, I did not ask for restoration of any specific credit or discount. I tried to express some of the feelings my daughter shared about missing the cruise. Yes, we lost our discount but I did check and the cruise we are looking at does fall on a blackout date so thanks for the reminder. I don't want to ask for something that is obviously restricted.
I'm curious, if you didn't ask for restoration of any specific credit or discount, then what did you ask for in the letter? (Not trying to be snarky, I'm honestly curious because I thought that was what you wanted to write a letter for).

Hope your daughter continues to get better!

I'm curious, if you didn't ask for restoration of any specific credit or discount, then what did you ask for in the letter? (Not trying to be snarky, I'm honestly curious because I thought that was what you wanted to write a letter for).

Hope your daughter continues to get better!
I let this sit for a while, not sure if I should update this thread. But to your question, my letter suggested that I was looking for help in the form of a discount or some kind of credit. I tried not to get specific so I did not box us into one specific ask. I was hoping for sympathy to our situation and leaving it partially open to what they could/would do for us. But the point that we really wanted to get back onboard was clear.

For those of you that have followed this discussion, I will report that my letter to senior executives at DCL was read and heard. I had a response in less than 24 hours. I was shocked with such a fast response. I will say this, they offered right away to refund our penalty. I think that is pretty incredible. The second time I was contacted was by someone from some "executive" Team. He read our entire letter and understood that our family dreamed of being able to sail again soon, after recovery etc. We are working on some options but I will say that DCL really impressed us with this personal connection. Our daughter was just cleared for school full time and is doing great so good news all around. Thank you all for the kind words too.

First and foremost I am glad your daughter is doing well.
I am glad Disney is helping you out with your situation.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter