DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

In case anyone’s interested, it’s midday Saturday, Memorial Day Weekend, and wait times - estimated by Lines and posted - are surprisingly low again. I won’t post details because it is a paid service but MK has all but the heaviest hitters with waits in the 5-25 minute range. HS and EP have higher crowd levels and the usual suspects have their not-at-all-surprising 45-60 min waits… but 45-60 is pretty good for those rides on a high crowd day. I am not at all a numbers person, but this is making me want to start a spread sheet and start tracking…

Changing topics and for a little dose of humor - when I had my DAS call a couple weeks ago, the CM ended with asking if I’ve seen the info on quiet spots, etc. My response was that I’ve been going to WDW for 30 years with a child on the ASD spectrum - I think I’ve got that nailed, but send them over because you never know! He did, but also laughed and said I probably know a dozen better spots that aren’t even listed… fun fact: I do. :rotfl:I genuinely can’t imagine tackling WDW as a first-timer these days: my hat is off to all who manage it!
If it's a publicized quiet spot; chances are it's probably not going to be most of the time -- just kind of how it works out that way. It is nice for the parents though and helps getting through the moment when others around simply just know.

In case anyone’s interested, it’s midday Saturday, Memorial Day Weekend, and wait times - estimated by Lines and posted - are surprisingly low again. I won’t post details because it is a paid service but MK has all but the heaviest hitters with waits in the 5-25 minute range. HS and EP have higher crowd levels and the usual suspects have their not-at-all-surprising 45-60 min waits… but 45-60 is pretty good for those rides on a high crowd day. I am not at all a numbers person, but this is making me want to start a spread sheet and start tracking…
Thanks for the report— it will be VERY interesting to see if this trend continues. One issue with widespread access to DAS was that it made it so easy to get a return time even for the high capacity rides where it would rarely be necessary to wait if there weren’t so many people using Genie+ and DAS, easy to see how it could create a snowball problem. Additionally, it made it more attractive for a lot of people to virtually get their entirely party in 90+ minute lines, when nobody (including the able bodied friends and family) think it’s worth waiting 90 minutes for.

Absolutely true. Right person, right time, right place.

My point is if the CM just denied the person -- there will be very little processed at that time.

A script more along the line: beyond the accommodations, Disney has developed some quick tips and tricks that can help make navigating the parks easier and give the link and offer to send brochure via email.

The just denied DAS requestor will have very little headspace to comprehend anything much else and in most likelihood will take any well intended advice poorly.
Understandable but that's not really the fault of the CM (aside from again if they are actually being rude in their tone). If the person who is declined has little headspace to do much else it's not going to matter what is said or how it's said or the exact wording, the end result to that person if they are feeling a certain way is "I've been denied DAS and all Disney has to say is here try some things" and there have been enough people on this thread who have blatantly said along the lines of "does Disney think I haven't been doing anything??" not to mention someone could then say Disney doesn't care about me all they did was send me some links as if to wash their hands of me (which has crept into some of the comments I've been reading).

They are seemingly trying to do their best to put forth as much information, helpful information with respects to their particular park, as they can and make it for all the millions of park guests. It's been mentioned a few times already sometimes people are casting a lot of shade at CMs because in the moment reactions. I get it in the moment you're feeling a way, I get that way too, but people are posting on the internet which can be done after a breather moment. Based on what I've been intaking there's some issue someone points to in virtually everything being reported back if that person is denied and advised a different accommodation or advice or even if they are approved! That's a no-win for Disney right there. It's just really to say that Disney is compiling the information for the masses, it's okay if we already know what we know, but we can't expect everyone to be like that :flower3:

Changing topics and for a little dose of humor - when I had my DAS call a couple weeks ago, the CM ended with asking if I’ve seen the info on quiet spots, etc. My response was that I’ve been going to WDW for 30 years with a child on the ASD spectrum - I think I’ve got that nailed, but send them over because you never know! He did, but also laughed and said I probably know a dozen better spots that aren’t even listed… fun fact: I do. :rotfl:I genuinely can’t imagine tackling WDW as a first-timer these days: my hat is off to all who manage it!
Interesting, I just looked on the app and while 7DMT was 60, everyone else wasn’t too bad, ranging from 5 minutes (Treehouse) to 55 minutes (Space Mountain and Peter Pan), Big Thunder is only 15 minutes, and Jungle Cruise is 30, so not bad at all. Is everyone at a different park, or are the lines truly faster only a couple of days post-new implementation? I know adding back in the railroad must have helped, but I can’t for the life of me remember if MK has had any new non-VQ rides or people-eaters since? I’ve seen some of the characters meet-ups eat up the lines too, Cinderella is a 50 minute wait right now, or so says the WDW app. I’d actually love a thread compiling all of the new times, just to see if there’s actually a dent being made, or if it’s just lucky timing/a lucky week.

I do want to point out in the past Memorial Day wasn't as slammed as one could think. Before it was park reservations driving that in the last few years. I know that our early May 2022 trip was much busier than actual Memorial Day weekend. Photos of empty MK on Memorial Day had me extremely jealous :upsidedow but just to say there's been some big disruptions over the last few years. Also I'm hearing the heat and humidity are in full force in Orlando. My local DISer to Orlando mentioned that Tuesday afternoon he saw FOP on thrill data at 20mins and that pattern-wise they were reflecting lower average wait times than expected and he immediately thought about DAS adjustments too....but I think we need to see it's probably not related to DAS as much as we think...at least at this exact moment.

Interesting, I just looked on the app and while 7DMT was 60, everyone else wasn’t too bad, ranging from 5 minutes (Treehouse) to 55 minutes (Space Mountain and Peter Pan), Big Thunder is only 15 minutes, and Jungle Cruise is 30, so not bad at all. Is everyone at a different park, or are the lines truly faster only a couple of days post-new implementation. I know adding back in the railroad must have helped, but I can’t for the life of me remember if MK has had any new non-VQ rides or people-eaters since? I’ve seen some of the characters meet-ups eat up the lines too, Cinderella is a 50 minute wait right now, or so says the WDW app.
Over at EPCOT test track is 40 and frozen after ever is under and hour (barely) 🤯— and that’s while Remy is down! A bunch of the people eater rides (spaceship earth, the Land) are also 10m or less.

Just a fun thought...has anyone had the ability to have their doctor with them on the DAS call?

It made me chuckle last night just imagining it. My kiddo's doctor shares her diagnosis (albeit without some of the complications) and was the one who told us about DAS, with the stern instructions that "you should not and cannot safely visit a theme park without accommodations."

Her current DAS (old rules) expires about a week before our late June trip, and we have a doctors appointment that same time.

The doctor is VERY fiesty, and just picturing that call with their "medical professionals" gives me joy. I know it's highly unlikely, but fun to imagine.
Thousands of T1D visitors come to the park every day and don’t need DAS level accommodations. A conservative estimate for adults with T1D is 5% of the population. Disney has no way of granting all those visitors (+3) and all the other disabilities out there DAS level accommodations. The law is on Disney's side. They are providing accommodations (ability to eat/drink in line, check levels either in line or in a facility like First Aid, ability to use a wheelchair/ECV so as to not over exert yourself). Disney is not keeping it a secret that it is located in a humid, sub-tropic environment. Everyone knows the temperature expectation when they book the trip and should only do so if they feel like they can tolerate it. I've used this example before, but should a ski resort be expected to prevent cold intolerant individuals from feeling the chill? It seems like you're vehemently opposed to every single option that would salvage your trips.

Understandable but that's not really the fault of the CM (aside from again if they are actually being rude in their tone). If the person who is declined has little headspace to do much else it's not going to matter what is said or how it's said or the exact wording, the end result to that person if they are feeling a certain way is "I've been denied DAS and all Disney has to say is here try some things" and there have been enough people on this thread who have blatantly said along the lines of "does Disney think I haven't been doing anything??" not to mention someone could then say Disney doesn't care about me all they did was send me some links as if to wash their hands of me (which has crept into some of the comments I've been reading).

They are seemingly trying to do their best to put forth as much information, helpful information with respects to their particular park, as they can and make it for all the millions of park guests. It's been mentioned a few times already sometimes people are casting a lot of shade at CMs because in the moment reactions. I get it in the moment you're feeling a way, I get that way too, but people are posting on the internet which can be done after a breather moment. Based on what I've been intaking there's some issue someone points to in virtually everything being reported back if that person is denied and advised a different accommodation or advice or even if they are approved! That's a no-win for Disney right there. It's just really to say that Disney is compiling the information for the masses, it's okay if we already know what we know, but we can't expect everyone to be like that :flower3:
Yes, service recovery is hard.

As pointed out, there's a fair amount of 'new' requesters going on along with the veteran DAS up for renewal. They come with from much different expectations and experiences too.

Regardless, many folk if denied something, really aren't processing well at that moment. We write things down for our clients for this very reason. Most don't remember more than 3 salient points after the visit.

Having links, and specific reference points, even a follow up email after point of contact helps.

Everyone knows the temperature expectation when they book the trip and should only do so if they feel like they can tolerate it.
Unrelated and not meant to be related to the poster you're quoting but I just saw this on the FB page for the cruise company we've sailed with and your comment made me think about it (it just shows some of this isn't at all related to DAS/Disney theme parks. Tad background is there is some valid complaints regarding the descriptor of easy, moderate, and hard for excursion levels but then there's also some expectation issues.

On the cruise FB page a person said yesterday "Our only suggestion is that the level of difficulty in some of the excursions needs more specific details. Walking on cobblestones and stairs with no railings can be a challenge. The term Moderate is not very descriptive."

For context they were in Hamburg, Germany where I just was on vacation there last week (our second vacation in Europe), Hamburg was actually one of the better places but it did have a lot of cyclists and dedicated paths for them with pedestrians needing to keep aware and yes filled with cobblestones and sometimes no sidewalks well what we would consider sidewalks. A lot of Europe especially older places are cobblestones and railings are not going to be common in a lot of places. It was a bit of a moment where you are like what they had an issue with would need to be listed for essentially all of Europe. The descriptions are meant to help people understand if they have the stamina basically like you might be doing a hike or a more leisurely stroll in Old Towne (or a bus tour with only a few stops to get out).

Back to FL the heat and humidity can take people by surprise and you're probably exposed more than you would be at home where you may be in a/c so it's understandable for all guests (not just those with conditions) may be surprised at its impact but beyond generic advice about seeking places within a/c there's not much else to give out (from Disney I mean) if you're talking about its climate.

Yes, service recovery is hard.

As pointed out, there's a fair amount of 'new' requesters going on along with the veteran DAS up for renewal. They come with from much different expectations and experiences too.

Regardless, many folk if denied something, really aren't processing well at that moment. We write things down for our clients for this very reason. Most don't remember more than 3 salient points after the visit.

Having links, and specific reference points, even a follow up email after point of contact helps.
Well they are sending links to people, they are making people aware of where they can go to look for some information. Posters have reported back that they are asked if they have seen/aware of xyz, posters have reported back that they are sent links. I'm going to take an educated guess and say not every call is getting every single thing the same but the CMs are trying (well I believe in thinking that). Your first comment was "Giving advice to others on ways to remedy probably should be off limits". If we're (general we) finding an issue with everything Disney is doing on these calls... I have read things that I was a bit like "ooohhh yeah that's no good" but it's only a few that I've seen with the rest not reading into it more.

A follow up e-mail may not be feasible here given the amounts of calls not to mention it would have to be personalized and not form filled otherwise you risk insult. The labor involved in sending follow up e-mails to every person is likely unrealistic. I'm not sure how many people really feel like a follow up e-mail is reasonable but I agree it can be nice to get those, shocking even when it happens.

I hear ya in what you're saying! But I do think sometimes it's creating a more negative space to people either having just been denied or needing to apply for DAS soon for it to be found all the things that Disney could be doing something different. I don't think every suggestion is that way but collectively. Anyways I wanted to end it with saying I do get what you're meaning and where you're coming from, don't disagree on the basis as a whole of hoping the message that gets heard is one that doesn't ruffle feathers as best as possible :)

Thousands of T1D visitors come to the park every day and don’t need DAS level accommodations. A conservative estimate for adults with T1D is 5% of the population. Disney has no way of granting all those visitors (+3) and all the other disabilities out there DAS level accommodations. The law is on Disney's side. They are providing accommodations (ability to eat/drink in line, check levels either in line or in a facility like First Aid, ability to use a wheelchair/ECV so as to not over exert yourself). Disney is not keeping it a secret that it is located in a humid, sub-tropic environment. Everyone knows the temperature expectation when they book the trip and should only do so if they feel like they can tolerate it. I've used this example before, but should a ski resort be expected to prevent cold intolerant individuals from feeling the chill? It seems like you're vehemently opposed to every single option that would salvage your trips.
I wonder if the DAS is a placebo for some people.

It is often not a relevant or appropriate accommodation for a specific disability at all, but because its official and pleasant to use people feel like it means Disney cares about their issues and makes them feel better.

I just wish that everyone could see that over use of DAS by people who have alternatives it is making the LL lines much too long for the people that have no other options.

Our plan is to get to a park before rope drop, have lunch at the parks and go back to the resort. We'll then go back to whichever park in the evening. My condition is not affected by the heat, I just don't like it. We wanted to wait until Fall for our trip but one of our grandsons is moving out of state, so we had no choice but to take our trip next week. I check the weather everyday praying for rain!

Back to FL the heat and humidity can take people by surprise and you're probably exposed more than you would be at home where you may be in a/c so it's understandable for all guests (not just those with conditions) may be surprised at its impact but beyond generic advice about seeking places within a/c there's not much else to give out (from Disney I mean) if you're talking about its climate.
I know that everyone in my travel party carries a UV umbrella and we only go to the parks in the morning and evening.

I just wish that everyone could see that over use of DAS by people who have alternatives it is making the LL lines much too long for the people that have no other options.
Pretty much every person here knows the system was overused and needed fixing. And more light was shed on the extent of over use as reports are coming out Disney had been approving people for reasons they should not have (being deaf or using an ECV) as these people are complaining they no longer qualify and others are like “what? That issue alone never qualified for DAS in the first place…”

But as with many things, once it’s swung so far in one extreme, trying to fix it has resulted in an over correction.

Well they are sending links to people, they are making people aware of where they can go to look for some information. Posters have reported back that they are asked if they have seen/aware of xyz, posters have reported back that they are sent links. I'm going to take an educated guess and say not every call is getting every single thing the same but the CMs are trying (well I believe in thinking that). Your first comment was "Giving advice to others on ways to remedy probably should be off limits". If we're (general we) finding an issue with everything Disney is doing on these calls... I have read things that I was a bit like "ooohhh yeah that's no good" but it's only a few that I've seen with the rest not reading into it more.

A follow up e-mail may not be feasible here given the amounts of calls not to mention it would have to be personalized and not form filled otherwise you risk insult. The labor involved in sending follow up e-mails to every person is likely unrealistic. I'm not sure how many people really feel like a follow up e-mail is reasonable but I agree it can be nice to get those, shocking even when it happens.

I hear ya in what you're saying! But I do think sometimes it's creating a more negative space to people either having just been denied or needing to apply for DAS soon for it to be found all the things that Disney could be doing something different. I don't think every suggestion is that way but collectively. Anyways I wanted to end it with saying I do get what you're meaning and where you're coming from, don't disagree on the basis as a whole of hoping the message that gets heard is one that doesn't ruffle feathers as best as possible :)
We agree on the principle for sure. These CMs arguably have the hardest job right now IMHO. The how in managing expectations, giving information effectively, and service recovery for those denied --- all even harder. How much energy/cost for individual vs templated is very difficult. -- perhaps like everything else solved these days -- AI will do it all for us.

Our plan is to get to a park before rope drop, have lunch at the parks and go back to the resort. We'll then go back to whichever park in the evening. My condition is not affected by the heat, I just don't like it. We wanted to wait until Fall for our trip but one of our grandsons is moving out of state, so we had no choice but to take our trip next week. I check the weather everyday praying for rain!
If you're thinking fall I wouldn't suggest September. For some they may not consider that fall but just in case you plan a future trip. Our 2011 and 2017 trips were in September, it's still a very hot time to visit Orlando.

If you're thinking fall I wouldn't suggest September. For some they may not consider that fall but just in case you plan a future trip. Our 2011 and 2017 trips were in September, it's still a very hot time to visit Orlando.
Fall is out now but I appreciate the info. We live in south Louisiana, aka, steam room, USA. You'd think I'd be used to the heat and humidity but I stay inside as much as possible except when walking to the car or getting out at a store, restaurant, etc.

Just a fun thought...has anyone had the ability to have their doctor with them on the DAS call?

It made me chuckle last night just imagining it. My kiddo's doctor shares her diagnosis (albeit without some of the complications) and was the one who told us about DAS, with the stern instructions that "you should not and cannot safely visit a theme park without accommodations."

Her current DAS (old rules) expires about a week before our late June trip, and we have a doctors appointment that same time.

The doctor is VERY fiesty, and just picturing that call with their "medical professionals" gives me joy. I know it's highly unlikely, but fun to imagine.
This post pretty much sums up why Disney does not accept even a doctor's letter - if a doctor is willing to overstep like in the above "dream" scenario, then all that would do is have a bunch of doctors calling Disney to demand access for their patients.

Can you explain that a bit more.....say you have a genie+ for buzz. 6 - 7 pm. at 6:40, you know you aren't going to make it. Do you have to look for another slot say 6:45 -7:45 or 7:30 -8:30 or it there a way just to push it out a bit?

Sure (apologies, I meant to post this earlier but forgot to click reply), so this depends on Lightning Lane availability with Genie+ so for a ride like Slinky Dog Dash, it would not easily work since all availability is usually gone quite early.

But a ride like Buzz, which is a good example since the lightning lane times do not get all used up.

In your example, you have 6pm-7pm. At 6:40pm you realize you cannot make it. So you click into that Lightning Lane and press Modify. It will then show the next available Lightning Lane time for Buzz and all other rides where there is availability. Lets say the next time available is 7pm - 8pm. You can then pick that - and if you think that time won't work, you can refresh it every once in awhile and wait until lets say 8pm - 9pm is available. It isn't perfect, it is more work to do than DAS where it will never expire - but it is possible on some rides to keep nudging the time forward.

Not sure where you're getting your data; and pretty sure I've NOT shared my kiddos specific issues in their entirely.

However there IS a difference between T1 and T2; and according to Google, webMD, and several other sources, less than 1/2 of 1% of Americans are T1. So you are wildly incorrect.

Furthermore, we've been to Disney enough to know what works and what doesn't. And we've learned the hard way. I have no issue with Disney making changes to prevent fraud. I DO think it's super unethical to sell a product under one set of parameters and then change the rules. And there are lots of place we don't go and things we can't do. Until a few weeks ago, Disney was NOT one of those places, we invested in that reality, and it changed.

I've also mentioned that we've had 2 trips since the changes were announced, and we've tried many of the "fixes" that are being proposed and they don't work.

Not sure why you feel the need to attack me. This is supposed to be a supportive space. Yes. I'm unhappy and that a normal response. Have a nice day.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter