DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

That is one of my other big issues with this process - does anyone else feel as though that 30 days window is to ensure people can't cancel their trips? You can't cancel even DVC reservations inside of 30 days without your points going into holding. The 30 day rule seems like a way to put people in an impossible situation.
So far it appears Disney is processing full refunds for people who request them, but I agree it would be better for everyone (including Disney) if they moved to the 60 day mark (ideally even 75, as not having DAS access will impact our park planning and dining requests)…but short-term I think they should immediately move to 31+ days for people on DVC stays (most other Disney hotels have much shorter cancellation windows).

I’m hoping that after a few weeks they will move to 60 days (at least) and they are just trying to get through the initial crush and drama before expanding out the window of people eligible to call…but hard to predict anything with confidence these days.

That is one of my other big issues with this process - does anyone else feel as though that 30 days window is to ensure people can't cancel their trips? You can't cancel even DVC reservations inside of 30 days without your points going into holding. The 30 day rule seems like a way to put people in an impossible situation.
That may be a complication of DVC.
Resort packages are PIF at 30 days, but as PP above mentions, I've seen at least a couple of reports of cancellation fees being waived.
Resort only reservations do not have penalty until 7 days prior to arrival.

So to answer your question -- no, I don't think that 30 day mark is intended to put people into a tough spot. DAS has been at 30 day approval for about 2.5 years now, and prior to that approval didn't occur until one was onsite.

A few interesting (unrelated) comments from Facebook that give some insight into how this is working:

I think it depends on the cm you speak with. My son was approved because he's one of Disney's listed disabilities, but she specifically said when I was explaining to her why he struggles with lines "well your son qualifies. He checks off three of the requirements" so they're definitely looking at some kind of predetermined list. But what was most sad was the biggest point she made was that his receiving DAS had almost nothing to do with him or his needs needs but how it would affect Disney. (I can't describe better than that without listing their seeming trigger words)

And someone else in regards to the medical professionals that seem to sometimes be joining the calls:

I was on the Zoom with the CM. I could tell she was way in over her head. She asked if she could add the “medical professional” to the line. I had to re explain everything all over. Asked about return to line etc etc. the medical professional, an “RN” because I did ask what made her a professional…. She listened to half of what I had to say and that was that. Back to CM and then said they would grant me return to line.

The same poster said that the CM they spoke to denied that they could see their history of using Genie+.

A few interesting (unrelated) comments from Facebook that give some insight into how this is working:

And someone else in regards to the medical professionals that seem to sometimes be joining the calls:

The same poster said that the CM they spoke to denied that they could see their history of using Genie+.
This concerns me deeply because it sounds like the pure fakers and entitled people who believe they deserve DAS (whether or not they have the specific conditions Disney is trying to accommodate with DAS) are eventually going to piece together what those lists consist of and the abuse will accelerate again.

That's great for the people it helps. Doesn't do anything for people like my dad who took a long, slow road to get to DAS in the first place, over many years, trying not only scooters but everything short of standing on their heads to not need accommodations.

Your dad and I would get along great, please pass along my thank you for the suggestion to stand on my head. Just bought myself another year.

This concerns me deeply because it sounds like the pure fakers and entitled people who believe they deserve DAS (whether or not they have the specific conditions Disney is trying to accommodate with DAS) are eventually going to piece together what those lists consist of and the abuse will accelerate again.
Yeah, I thought similarly but equally don’t really see how else they can do it (beyond requiring medical evidence which itself has its issues). The disability systems I’ve worked with previously (benefits in the UK) are also done on effectively a points based system based on the impact disability has on the individual as opposed to conditions automatically making you eligible (which would go back to people knowing what to say or requiring medical evidence).

Yeah, I thought similarly but equally don’t really see how else they can do it (beyond requiring medical evidence which itself has its issues). The disability systems I’ve worked with previously (benefits in the UK) are also done on effectively a points based system based on the impact disability has on the individual as opposed to conditions automatically making you eligible (which would go back to people knowing what to say or requiring medical evidence).

IF (haven't gone through it yet) it really is resulting in a significant amount of rejections to people who have medical conditions, I would fully support and think it would be a good idea to allow people an option to provide medical evidence.

Disney wouldn't even need to handle it on their own as there are 3rd parties who are capable of collecting, evaluating, and protecting such information.

That may be a complication of DVC.
Resort packages are PIF at 30 days, but as PP above mentions, I've seen at least a couple of reports of cancellation fees being waived.
Resort only reservations do not have penalty until 7 days prior to arrival.

So to answer your question -- no, I don't think that 30 day mark is intended to put people into a tough spot. DAS has been at 30 day approval for about 2.5 years now, and prior to that approval didn't occur until one was onsite.
I do think it’s good that Disney is waiving cancellation fees…there really is no good time to make a change like this, but it’s only right to allow people to back out if they feel they can’t make it work without DAS.

Another comment that I thought was interesting from Facebook (obviously this is limited info and possibly individual interpretation):
We were approved! <3 I was very, very relieved. We waited about 30 minutes for the chat, and then only had to answer the first round of questioning (I'm gathering that if they're not sure if you qualify after the initial question, they progress to the next set).

So far it appears Disney is processing full refunds for people who request them, but I agree it would be better for everyone (including Disney) if they moved to the 60 day mark (ideally even 75, as not having DAS access will impact our park planning and dining requests)…but short-term I think they should immediately move to 31+ days for people on DVC stays (most other Disney hotels have much shorter cancellation windows).

I’m hoping that after a few weeks they will move to 60 days (at least) and they are just trying to get through the initial crush and drama before expanding out the window of people eligible to call…but hard to predict anything with confidence these days.
If you have booked a Disney resort package (which could include tickets and/or dining discounts) I believe the cancel by date is 45 days. If you have booked a room-only, it's 8 days. I also THINK that tickets purchased through Disney as stand alone (not part of a package) can be moved to different dates, (and MAYBE (??) reassagined, if they haven't been used at all, but not sure....) if that helps.

No idea about off site resorts/packages.

Yup, I actually said this way back a few hundred pages ago. It’s punishing those who need it and the fakers will be undeterred. If there is a checklist a script can be made and people can be fooled. People can act out anything they want, some liars are so good they believe their own lies.

Just thought would let you know the response we had from disability services to us who live in UK

We asked - how do we do the live DAS video for people in the UK
They kindly sent a website link to the Disneyworld.co.uk site

We replied - no live video link
Disney sent another link to the .co.uk site

We replied - need the link to the .com site or are we in the UK not allowed to apply for DAS

Disney sent an interesting response - International visitors cannot apply for DAS
They have to go to guest services on First day where they will be given an I Pad to contact DAS for a live video chat .

We told them , have been DVC members for over 20 years and this is biggest shambles we have seen .
We are coming end of may for two weeks and wished we weren't
Just an update on UK applying for DAS
We used a VPN to apply (on the new scheme ) for our grandson who has epilepsy - Refused said we could use rider swap.
My wife who has had DAS passes for last 20 years - so anxious / worried will not even apply.
Doesn't want to visit Guest relations on day 1 and discuss her problems in front of everyone.

After 25 years of visiting -this will be our last , the money saved will easily pay for a holiday elsewhere who welcome the disabled.

Remember Disney - if you treat people badly - don't be surprised when they treat you the same.

If you have booked a Disney resort package (which could include tickets and/or dining discounts) I believe the cancel by date is 45 days. If you have booked a room-only, it's 8 days. I also THINK that tickets purchased through Disney as stand alone (not part of a package) can be moved to different dates, (and MAYBE (??) reassagined, if they haven't been used at all, but not sure....) if that helps.

Mine was a full package at The Contemporary with a theme park view. We were scheduled to arrive June 2nd. The CM on the phone had to speak with a supervisor a couple of times but I got a full refund.

Doesn't want to visit Guest relations on day 1 and discuss her problems in front of everyone.
It is my understanding that if you visit guest relations they will put you on the same video call that you would have at home.

I am not sure if anyone has any information on how private the video call area is yet.

What was weird is I bought my tickets from a vendor besides Disney. Then, I booked our room through Disney. When I first booked the room, we had the DDP but when I found out that there would be DAS changes that might affect our trip, I called and dropped the DDP so that we'd have the 5 day cancellation and had the CM double check to make sure our reservation was room only. Then, when I wanted to add another resort for our first couple of nights, I couldn't because Disney had converted my room only to a package! Had to call again. Checked today and again, it's listed as a package??? Won't affect our trip because it starts in a couple of days but anyone contemplating a cancellation might want to check their reservation.

@diablodancer do you know, was there clarification, that this person was denied DAS and offered RTQ instead?
I’m getting the terminology/nuances of the two similar options a bit confused, they were offered to leave the queue and meet the rest of their party at a merge point I think - they’d specifically asked if the CM meant they had to be separated from their family, the CM had said just for the ‘short’ queue time, they’d gone back to point out that Seven Dwarves can reach 120 minutes and were they meant to spend that amount of time separated to which the CM confirmed their understanding was correct.

I'm so sorry to hear this happened. Instead of cancelling immediately I suggest taking a few days or a week, let the dust settle while you re-evaluate your request. I have heard of folks getting DAS on a 2nd call. One thing I think is key is that "autism" alone will not qualify and the explanation of need must be specific to waiting in a standard queue environment. Mention of school needs, mild vs severe, etc. won't check the boxes. It's highly possible some folks getting denied this week have been a little slack on their request in the past because detail wasn't required. I'm not saying this was you and please don't repeat what was said on the call, but as a general note they are looking for specifics more than in the past.

And, I honestly think they will give more credence to complaints that tried to get resolution -- either by way of a 2nd video chat or in-person in the parks -- especially if the individual can then show specific examples of when/where/why/how the alternative doesn't work.

The one thing I don’t understand is Disney states that DAS is for autism or similar developmental disabilities but then doesn’t want to hear that your child is autistic? My DS28 is nonverbal. I have to speak for him. I understand that just a diagnosis of autism doesn’t qualify you for DAS but it seems that if Disney NAMES autism in the qualifications that you would start with my son is autistic if it applies. Fortunately we just finished our trip and only go once every year or two so I have a long time before we need to apply again. I’m worried he may not qualify just because he is now an adult even though he functions only the level of a two year old (in the body of an adult).

Package cancellation penalty starts at 30 days prior to arrival now, not 45. This changed maybe a year or so ago.

Room-only cancellation is currently at 7 days, though that will shift to 8-days for 2025 bookings.

Correct that tickets can be moved to new dates (paying any additional if needed). Further, fully unused tickets that expire will continue to hold a credit towards future tickets; I suggest making note of ticket number and value because they will disappear from MDE after expiration. This is true regardless of where the tickets were purchased -- direct from WDW or a 3rd party authorized reseller. Also note that some authorized resellers may have a refund policy -- check with the vendor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter