DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

You should remove your reasons why you need it.

I agree with the rest of your post.
Gotcha. I know people can have pretty strong feelings about who should and shouldn't qualify for the pass. I feel so frustrated for folks with physical disabilities who need it as well, who are now fully excluded and basically told to get a scooter/wheelchair.

I feel like a lot of that is around indoor vs outdoor queues--some folks can handle one but not the other. An improvement for Disney would definitely be to go through the attractions and flag them as indoor vs outdoor queues and be able to apply DAS accordingly.

It’s going to take time to see this transition stabilize. There’s really no way around that. Disney found changes were necessary. It stinks being in limbo but there’s noway to make changes where WDW can share 100% of every detail beforehand because they know some answers depend on how things actually play out. Only time will tell what sticks and what gets altered. Just like when VQ was first introduced with RotR, some things could not be 100% accurately predicted and they ended up making adjustments early on.

WDW has the data. They know what the majority of guests were accomplishing via standby, G+/ILL and DAS. They have statistics on how many headliners, high capacity, low capacity each group does. The fact that some of any group was unable to do much or chose not to do headliners is less important than differences when comparing what was actually happening in the majority of each group. They have that data, we don’t. If they are going ahead with changing the system it’s likely they have solid reasons to show why it was necessary.

My impression is they are trying to recalibrate expectations around DAS.

All I know is getting denied, which I wrote about here, has turned our upcoming trip into a disaster. My son had a meltdown immediately after the chat. I'm going to call this afternoon and see if I can have the cancellation penalty waived due to his being denied DAS.

I'm so sorry to hear this happened. Instead of cancelling immediately I suggest taking a few days or a week, let the dust settle while you re-evaluate your request. I have heard of folks getting DAS on a 2nd call. One thing I think is key is that "autism" alone will not qualify and the explanation of need must be specific to waiting in a standard queue environment. Mention of school needs, mild vs severe, etc. won't check the boxes. It's highly possible some folks getting denied this week have been a little slack on their request in the past because detail wasn't required. I'm not saying this was you and please don't repeat what was said on the call, but as a general note they are looking for specifics more than in the past.

And, I honestly think they will give more credence to complaints that tried to get resolution -- either by way of a 2nd video chat or in-person in the parks -- especially if the individual can then show specific examples of when/where/why/how the alternative doesn't work.

I was not making any statement about your needs.

In fact I was trying to point out its better to talk more generally about the system than discuss other's individual stories because it can be hurtful and its impossible to know the merits of whatever anyone presents about themselves online anyway, one way or another.
As I said to the other poster, my reaction wasn't personal though I do acknowledge how it comes across that way with how I wrote it. That wasn't my intent. I'm not personally offended. I'm just exhausted and done. I've dealt with people questioning DD's needs in public. I've dealt with people telling me I shouldn't do XYZ to accommodate her (while she's right there next to me listening) because if I do then she'll never learn. I'm exhausted and done with the not at all uncommon view in society that disabled people are exaggerating their needs. My reaction was in relation to the larger societal piece at play, not you specifically.

I'm so sorry to hear this happened. Instead of cancelling immediately I suggest taking a few days or a week, let the dust settle while you re-evaluate your request. I have heard of folks getting DAS on a 2nd call. One thing I think is key is that "autism" alone will not qualify and the explanation of need must be specific to waiting in a standard queue environment. Mention of school needs, mild vs severe, etc. won't check the boxes. It's highly possible some folks getting denied this week have been a little slack on their request in the past because detail wasn't required.

And, I honestly think they will give more credence to complaints that either tried to get resolution -- either by way of a 2nd video chat or in-person in the parks -- especially if the individual can then show specific examples of when/where/why/how the alternative doesn't work.
Already got a full refund and booked another vacation elsewhere.

Thanks for the info. I plan on writing up a lengthy letter and sending it to them. My son has been to Disney well over 10 times and never had issues getting a disability pass. It's made our trips easier, and probably made the trips of other guests more pleasant since there is less chance of a meltdown. This has all been disappointing and heart-breaking at the same time, since he has loved all things Disney since he was small. Apparently they don't want our business any longer, which sucks for them because we are a deluxe resort family. 😥
Suggestion on the letter.

Be succinct. Be specific.

They will respond if you give them points of dispute and opportunity for recovery for your family and their process improvement.

Write it. Sit on it for a moment and then revise and send.

Hope that you give Disney another chance, and safe travels on that new vacation plan.

As I said to the other poster, my reaction wasn't personal though I do acknowledge how it comes across that way with how I wrote it. That wasn't my intent. I'm not personally offended. I'm just exhausted and done. I've dealt with people questioning DD's needs in public. I've dealt with people telling me I shouldn't do XYZ to accommodate her (while she's right there next to me listening) because if I do then she'll never learn. I'm exhausted and done with the not at all uncommon view in society that disabled people are exaggerating their needs. My reaction was in relation to the larger societal piece at play, not you specifically.
I just want to say I get it 🫂 DD had ABA in home therapy last year for months and they couldn't make any progress. Finally they threw up their hands and said this is more than just behavioral when she would have screaming tantrums for literal hours over the smallest things. So her therapist put her on a ASD approved mood regulation medication and boom, new kid. Still autistic, still have challenges, but it's 1000% more manageable. Why? Because it's not about behavior modification, it's not about parenting skills, it's about the criss-crossed wiring in their brains.

On any topic about Disney I think there has to be room for the people supportive of the change and the people disappointed by it. DAS is no different to any change at Disney in that there will people with the full range of perspectives.

There are going to be people like me, someone who has a disabled daughter, who feel like Disney is going out of its away to make our park experiences better with these changes and are interested in the details and implementation. As I have said before I find the direction of travel hugely encouraging.

We are all on Disney boards to discuss the operations and changes to the Disney parks and I hope it’s understood that overall support for DAS eligibility changes doesn’t reflect on individuals with differing opinions. I don’t want anyone to be upset.

I didn't include Bob Iger :)
I really appreciate your posting these addresses. I have made a note of them, and will keep them tucked away safely and really hope that I never need to use them for anything other than sending in compliments about things that were outstanding in a trip to Disney.

By the way, is Mr. Iger's email using Robert or Bob as his address?

Gotcha. I know people can have pretty strong feelings about who should and shouldn't qualify for the pass. I feel so frustrated for folks with physical disabilities who need it as well, who are now fully excluded and basically told to get a scooter/wheelchair.
Those whose issues are mobility related and can be addressed with a scooter or wheelchair have NEVER been eligible for DAS, as almost all of the standby queues are wheelchair accessible.

I really appreciate your posting these addresses. I have made a note of them, and will keep them tucked away safely and really hope that I never need to use them for anything other than sending in compliments about things that were outstanding in a trip to Disney.

By the way, is Mr. Iger's email using Robert or Bob as his address?

You're welcome!

Robert.Iger@disney.com is his email. TBH I have never gotten a response to an email I've sent to him in the past, but I have had luck in getting responses when sending emails to other Disney execs such as Josh D'Amaro.

Those whose issues are mobility related and can be addressed with a scooter or wheelchair have NEVER been eligible for DAS, as almost all of the standby queues are wheelchair accessible.
I get where you're coming from. My understanding is that some physical disabilities where a wheelchair/scooter wouldn't help (hypermobility/EDS, photokeratitis, IBS, etc.) were previously given DAS, and now cannot due to the rule differences. (Edited to add that I don't have the condition, but I think it's absolutely WILD that photokeratisis isn't an immediate yes for DAS).

I also pretty strongly believe that if Disney is going to insist that some physical disabilities can be adequately addressed with a wheelchair, then they need to up their stock of courtesy wheelchairs. Many people live a lifestyle where a wheelchair isn't medically necessary (or simply can't get the cost covered through insurance) for day-to-day use, they can get damaged by airport staff during travel, etc.

Last edited:
I get where you're coming from. My understanding is that some physical disabilities where a wheelchair/scooter wouldn't help (hypermobility/EDS, photokeratitis, IBS, etc.) were previously given DAS, and now cannot due to the rule differences.

I also pretty strongly believe that if Disney is going to insist that some physical disabilities can be adequately addressed with a wheelchair, then they need to up their stock of courtesy wheelchairs. Many people live a lifestyle where a wheelchair isn't medically necessary (or simply can't get the cost covered through insurance) for day-to-day use, they can get damaged by airport staff during travel, etc.
Can confirm the first part as someone who previously had DAS for a physical disability that aids don’t help. I’ve seen some reports that lead me to think some physical disabilities are still being approved, although these seem to be the ones where some people are only getting approved when solo.

While that would be nice to see I find it unlikely. That would be going above and beyond what is required by the ADA. They need reasonable access to the parks for wheelchair users but they don't have to provide the wheelchair (or any other medical aid).

You are not answering the question, which is why it seems like you might be making something up. As pp mention the ADA is not an agency, it is a law. It sounds like you called the Department of Justice. If you had just said you called DOJ there would not have been an issue.

A different example would be if you have questions about the affordable care act (ACA), you could contact Health and Human Services (HHS). ACA is the law, HHS is the agency.
Exactly. ADA.gov is just a web address that provides info about the ADA and provides a number to the DoJ…

While that would be nice to see I find it unlikely. That would be going above and beyond what is required by the ADA. They need reasonable access to the parks for wheelchair users but they don't have to provide the wheelchair (or any other medical aid).
You're probably right on that one. The hope is always simply that if they are going to revamp a program, that they do so in a way that increases accessibility as much as possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter