D23 Expo September 9-11, 2022 Superthread **Updates in Posts 2 & 3**

I didn't get the text or email, so thanks Lucky for the info.
Most of us didn't. I think they only sent it to people who had contacted them and not even all of them. The info was posted on some other D23 social media sites that are not run by D23.

I did get a reply email from D23:

Thank you for reaching out to us regarding your D23 Expo badges.

We apologize for the difficulties activating your Expo Badge(s). To better assist you, would you please provide the confirmation number and email address for your D23 Expo 2022 ticket purchase? We will reach back out once it has been fixed.

Great news! You that you will still be able to make advanced reservations without activating your badge(s). Please visit D23Expo.com as well as https://d23.com/d23-expo-2022/things-to-know/ for the latest information.

We are looking forward to celebrating all things Disney with you at the D23 Expo 2022!

I sent them my confirmation number and email address.

I did get a reply email from D23:

Thank you for reaching out to us regarding your D23 Expo badges.

We apologize for the difficulties activating your Expo Badge(s). To better assist you, would you please provide the confirmation number and email address for your D23 Expo 2022 ticket purchase? We will reach back out once it has been fixed.

Great news! You that you will still be able to make advanced reservations without activating your badge(s). Please visit D23Expo.com as well as https://d23.com/d23-expo-2022/things-to-know/ for the latest information.

We are looking forward to celebrating all things Disney with you at the D23 Expo 2022!

I sent them my confirmation number and email address.

It's good to know that the badges don't have to be activated to make panel reservations. But it's typical D23 stuff for these events:sad2:

Sorry to be so dense, but I need someone to work through what this means with me and my husband's eyes tend to gloss over at stuff like this:

"Badge holders have the opportunity to utilize a random selection process to make reservations for themselves and one other D23 Expo Guest for select panels and experiences throughout the weekend. Guests will be able to submit preferences for reservations during a designated time period closer to the event. Reservations will be randomly distributed based on preferences and availability, and then communicated via email. For Guests who do not get reservations for their preferences, standby queues will be available for most panels and experiences. More information on the selection and distribution timeframe, as well as standby queues, will be shared closer to the event.
All badges should be transferred to individuals in your party before the reservation time period. An individual can only submit one reservation entry per badge type. Example: if you purchased two Friday badges, you can only request a reservation for one badge and the other must be transferred to another person for them to request a reservation. Badge transfers will not be allowed after the reservation process has begun."

So does this mean for us, since we are two, I could try for a reservation with my husband as my guest AND he could also try for the same reservation with me as the guest? As long as I 'transfer' the badge to him?
I may be getting ahead of myself, but the mention of getting an email later informing you of what you got makes me really think this may ACTUALLY be fair. It sounds like the same system that we used for getting tickets to the Olympics in Vancouver BC back in 2010, and while we didn't get the one really big event we wanted (men's gold hockey final), we had lovely options to purchase some other events we wanted and it was super easy to do. We had a great time and most importantly, NO STRESS.

Last edited:
Sorry to be so dense, but I need someone to work through what this means with me and my husband's eyes tend to gloss over at stuff like this:

"Badge holders have the opportunity to utilize a random selection process to make reservations for themselves and one other D23 Expo Guest for select panels and experiences throughout the weekend. Guests will be able to submit preferences for reservations during a designated time period closer to the event. Reservations will be randomly distributed based on preferences and availability, and then communicated via email. For Guests who do not get reservations for their preferences, standby queues will be available for most panels and experiences. More information on the selection and distribution timeframe, as well as standby queues, will be shared closer to the event.
All badges should be transferred to individuals in your party before the reservation time period. An individual can only submit one reservation entry per badge type. Example: if you purchased two Friday badges, you can only request a reservation for one badge and the other must be transferred to another person for them to request a reservation. Badge transfers will not be allowed after the reservation process has begun."

So does this mean for us, since we are two, I could try for a reservation with my husband as my guest AND he could also try for the same reservation with me as the guest? As long as I 'transfer' it to him?
I may be getting ahead of myself, but the mention of getting an email later informing you of what you got makes me really think this may ACTUALLY be fair. It sounds like the same system that we used for getting tickets to the Olympics in Vancouver BC back in 2010, and while we didn't get the one really big event we wanted (men's gold hockey final), we had lovely options to purchase some other events we wanted and it was super easy to do. We had a great time and most importantly, NO STRESS.
I think a lot of this is still unclear. My guess is that it's similar to how they did Star Wars Celebration, but I am just guessing. My advice though is to transfer tickets as soon as possible, so that you don't get caught out. It could be that they don't want people trading/selling panel reservations through tickets. The question is does is mean that you can't transfer once reservations are made for a specific badge or you can't transfer once the date for the process arrives. I have read it interpreted both ways.

I think a lot of this is still unclear. My guess is that it's similar to how they did Star Wars Celebration, but I am just guessing. My advice though is to transfer tickets as soon as possible, so that you don't get caught out. It could be that they don't want people trading/selling panel reservations through tickets. The question is does is mean that you can't transfer once reservations are made for a specific badge or you can't transfer once the date for the process arrives. I have read it interpreted both ways.
Ah yes, clear as mud, that is a good question. Surely they know plans can change so there should be an avenue to change the name on a badge closer to the event... but I guess we'll see. That part at least I don't need to worry about - I wouldn't make the drive without him and he wouldn't be going at all if I wasn't eager to go.

How did SW Celebration work..?

So does this mean for us, since we are two, I could try for a reservation with my husband as my guest AND he could also try for the same reservation with me as the guest? As long as I 'transfer' the badge to him?
If it’s like last time yes, I was allowed a guest to everything I booked in 2019 and I was a solo purchaser.

Ah yes, clear as mud, that is a good question. Surely they know plans can change so there should be an avenue to change the name on a badge closer to the event... but I guess we'll see. That part at least I don't need to worry about - I wouldn't make the drive without him and he wouldn't be going at all if I wasn't eager to go.

How did SW Celebration work..?
I believe they had a lottery system. They did it this year and last time, I think. You would put in your panel preferences for the big panels and then be randomly selected. It seemed to work better this year, or maybe people were just used to it. I think they also had standby for every panel. I know that some people lost out on all panels they picked in the previous Celebration; I don't know if they had standby that year though. Last D23, they kept saying that they wouldn't have standby for the big panels or that you might wait but there may not be any extra room for standbys. They didn't even let people wait in line at first for some panels. They eventually conceded, and usually some people from standby, if not a lot, got in.

Just be prepared for it to be a poop show and pack your patience. Whatever they say the rules are, they will change on the fly at the event. They don't always manage the lines well. Sometimes people with reservations for a panel didn't get in due to confusion about where they should line up, especially for the smaller/midsize panels, not Hall D23 panels. Guests will also not follow the rules, as well as the workers. It's not all bad. I actually had a great time my first time, even though we didn't reservations for any of the big panels and ended up waiting. We waited in the basement after 30 minutes of sleep one night for the parks panel. We tried to sleep on the concrete, but it was pretty hard with the bright lights and loud TVs. It was really about the time spent hanging with my friends and other people. If you think you will be waiting in lines like that, bring a seat cushion, one of the flat, thick high density foam ones, like Blue Bayou gives for the Fantasmic dining package. I have a zip tie through the hole at the top so that I can attach it to things with a carabiner. I had one and they never confiscated it. It's great to sit on, use as a pillow, or put underneath boney points to sleep. Hoodies are a necessity; it gets cold and hot, sometimes simultaneously :rotfl2:, in the convention hall. Plus, a hoodie can be used as a pillow and to help block light and sound. I also had an eye mask and ear plugs; I use them to sleep on early flights anyway. I was also able to bring in one of those compact blankets; it compacts into like a small pillow. You can use it as a pillow, blanket, ground cover, or lumbar support on a long flight. Bring snacks, because sometimes there isn't food in the basement lines or the lines can be long. That way you don't crash before you can get real food. I didn't have any problems bringing in trail mix and almond butter packets. I had heard of meals, like pizza, etc, being confiscated though. And know that YMMV. For everyone that gets to bring in something that's supposedly now allowed, someone else gets theirs confiscated. No rhyme or reason.

I’ve looked around, but I can’t seem to find an answer so I thought I’d ask here. I was about to make a Disneyland Hotel reservation this morning for two nights through the D23 hotel link. Does anyone know if I’ll be able to link that reservation to my Disneyland account? I tired using the acknowledgment number I received with the booking, but it didn’t work. Any insight would be appreciated! TIA!

I’ve looked around, but I can’t seem to find an answer so I thought I’d ask here. I was about to make a Disneyland Hotel reservation this morning for two nights through the D23 hotel link. Does anyone know if I’ll be able to link that reservation to my Disneyland account? I tired using the acknowledgment number I received with the booking, but it didn’t work. Any insight would be appreciated! TIA!
So if it's like traditional conference systems (and I think it is), the hotels block off x rooms, give them to the conference system, and you book through the third party conference service. Closer to the Expo (sometimes 1-2 weeks, sometimes days), the conference system will transfer all their specific reservations to the hotel - then they'll have a record of your stay and a typical Disneyland reservation number attached.

That's why they say not to contact Disneyland Hotel if you booked using their system - DLH won't have a record of it yet (again, probably), and won't be able to help.

I've always booked via the D23 conference system, and never had any issues. Hoping the pre-stay benefits that were recently announced (booking dining, etc.) won't be impacted because 60-day dates are coming up soon anyway, and there's no new news on that. Looking forward to staying there again this year!

So if it's like traditional conference systems (and I think it is), the hotels block off x rooms, give them to the conference system, and you book through the third party conference service. Closer to the Expo (sometimes 1-2 weeks, sometimes days), the conference system will transfer all their specific reservations to the hotel - then they'll have a record of your stay and a typical Disneyland reservation number attached.

That's why they say not to contact Disneyland Hotel if you booked using their system - DLH won't have a record of it yet (again, probably), and won't be able to help.

I've always booked via the D23 conference system, and never had any issues. Hoping the pre-stay benefits that were recently announced (booking dining, etc.) won't be impacted because 60-day dates are coming up soon anyway, and there's no new news on that. Looking forward to staying there again this year!
FYI I've actually called Orchid, the company operating the conference system, and asked when they will release the bookings to the respective hotels. I was told August 29th or 30th, so the week before the Expo. I've got a reminder set because I want to call to pay with a GC but can't until the Disneyland Hotel has the reservation.

I don't know how we'd be able to use the onsite benefits until the reservation is transferred. Sad... I wanted to make ADRs

FYI I've actually called Orchid, the company operating the conference system, and asked when they will release the bookings to the respective hotels. I was told August 29th or 30th, so the week before the Expo. I've got a reminder set because I want to call to pay with a GC but can't until the Disneyland Hotel has the reservation.

I don't know how we'd be able to use the onsite benefits until the reservation is transferred. Sad... I wanted to make ADRs
Good to know, thanks!

Looks like ADR benefits are still "coming soon" according to the website, so most likely after my daily window opens later this week. Maybe they're held closer to the date of your trip so guests have an easier time booking last minute? Hard to know since there are no details yet.

Odd questions here.. be patient pls LOL

I’m suffering sort of FOMO here, never been to an expo and the 100th anniversary and other things in the agenda are calling me.. I’ve looked up and there are tickets available (general admission) in resale sites… so I’m strongly considering it… however …

- if I got the tickets this week… have I already missed the windows to reserve activities? If so, then what the tickets would be good for? Only walking around the hallways?
- how the expo - experience looks like? What are you looking fwd to?

Thanks!

Odd questions here.. be patient pls LOL

I’m suffering sort of FOMO here, never been to an expo and the 100th anniversary and other things in the agenda are calling me.. I’ve looked up and there are tickets available (general admission) in resale sites… so I’m strongly considering it… however …

- if I got the tickets this week… have I already missed the windows to reserve activities? If so, then what the tickets would be good for? Only walking around the hallways?
- how the expo - experience looks like? What are you looking fwd to?

Thanks!
Activity reservations have not gone live yet. There will likely be an email in a few weeks with information.

So I have 2 vip passes. My sister was supposed to go but now has changed her mind. What happens if I transfer it to a different family member, but then they decide not to go. Could I transfer the badge again? Or once a badge is transferred your sol? Also anyone know when badge activation will begin again, I did get the email that it's on pause, but I got a cruise coming up and would hate to miss out on registering for stuff.

About early morning queues (3am sort of)… is it for real that queues start that early?
If so, is there one single line for all activities or should i look for one specific for hall23?
Is it safe? Restrooms?
Have you done it?
Thanks!

Well, I used to go the overnight lines around midnight myself. And there were plenty arlready there. They put us in the basement, after going thru security and scanning tickets. So inside it was chilly but well lit, rest rooms available and some snacks coffee. By 6-7 am they made lines wait outside, or sometimes in other various rooms inside. I did not like waiting outside, some years it was hot even in the morning. Inside they did have seperate lines for the floor( this includes merch/shopping) and the Hall D23 panel, or another smaller panel that was scheduled early. The benefit was we were prescanned and thru security. so at 8:45 or so, they just had us file upstairs for floor. The Hall D23 people remained until time to load their room upstairs.

We have NO IDEA what they will do this year. While I did the overnight lines, obviously most people did not. It was a choice. The people headed to shop for LE items were of course there, I don't care about that stuff. I liked getting on the uncrowded floor early, or was waiting for the HallD23 panel.

With Covid19, I just do not know what will happen. Because they started the inside overnight lines to get people off the street outside. Perhaps the pre-registration will help, maybe they sold less tickets (HA!)

About early morning queues (3am sort of)… is it for real that queues start that early?
If so, is there one single line for all activities or should i look for one specific for hall23?
Is it safe? Restrooms?
Have you done it?
Thanks!
Hedging because things do change every year, so until we get the rules & rundown for this year (and heck, more accurately - until we see how the first night/day goes), we won't know for sure. That said:
  • In the past, there have been overnight lines in the basement of the convention center. Previously they had separate lines for that day's Hall 23 panel and the show floor (merch/smaller panels), and they've also done separate lines for Gold Members for Hall 23. Again, not sure what it looks like this year
  • Lines are safe, there are restrooms, it's just really, really cold with a hard floor, so folks come prepared to wait it out/sleep. Some years they even have TVs near the lines playing Disney movies
  • Last time I went overnight was 2017 - I got in line for the show floor around 9 PM on Thursday night (entered the basement, went through security, and was able to bring my pillow back to the room around 7 AM on Friday before they took us upstairs). In 2019 I had a sorcerer badge & didn't need to do overnights, but saw a few folks lined up outside as early as Wednesday afternoon (typically scalpers, other merch seekers). Their small unofficial line was forced outside the CC grounds, so they moved it to the sidewalk. I don't know what happened when the CC opened for overnight lineups, but I assume they were near the front.
  • At some point, they cut off the basement and start security lines outside the CC. People in this thread and on FB will usually give real time updates. And typically by the afternoon there won't be long lines to get in - just lines for merch, panels, and experiences inside
I'm not sure if they're going to want throngs of people in the basement overnight. That's possibly why they'll do pre-reservations and use the Disneyland app for store queuing. TBH, I'm considering updating my phone to ensure it's super fast before Expo weekend so I don't miss out on any of the store queues. I've been really lucky in WDW, but didn't get a Guardians VQ for the first time a few weeks ago and it's made me nervous.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter