D23 Announcements

I definitely expect some Moana theming but I think Disney will be careful to avoid anything that could be seen as cultural appropriation (I’m talking Tiki Room / Poly hotel style theming) since it will be sailing in the part of the world impacted by that. Any cultural nods will be closer to the Aulani “authentic” feel rather than anything too cartoony. Or they may just avoid it altogether (apart from Moana, which is not bordering on that risky territory).
My guess for Moana is that she is on the front of the ship.

Didn’t Josh say October 2023? Good time as that’s going into late spring / summer

I believe Treasure is scheduled for July 2024, similar to how the Wish was scheduled. Looking at the timeline for the Wish and Meyer Werft's website/current projects I think that construction will start on Treasure around Feb/March 2023. The current ship being built in Meyer Werft Hall 6 (the Carnival Jubilee) will float out to make way for the Treasure ready to do her Ems conveyance around April 2023 when the river is high enough. The river is then only again high enough in October time, or the next April, so Treasure will likely float out and go down the Ems sometime around either of those dates.

Curious what others noticed in the artist renderings?

It appears the base for those renders is the same as the Wish - we could find 1923 staying amongst the Triton ships similarly to how Animator's Palette is a constant on the Magic and Dream class. Also depending on where they were in the point of design when the ship launched could have influenced some changes, we won't know until much later. What's clear is that these new ships are truly taking on the "palace on the sea" style.

If we assume the rumour of "Wish/Adventure/Believe" to be true (Wish is the theme of the Wish and Adventure is the theme of the Treasure, is Believe the theme of ship 3?) then I wonder what "Believe" would be called - "imagine"? I have heard rumours that these three ships will all have a unique theme behind them while keeping on the path of castles/palaces. This is certainly true for ship #5 and ship #6. I have also heard that ship #7 will be EPCOT-inspired, as in "the ship of tomorrow" in the same way EPCOT is. I wonder whether this is true, and which princess/palace it may be inspired from. All speculation of course!

I don't think that Disney will do justice to any ethnic foods not because they can't, but because sadly, the majority of Americans are just too scared to eat truly authentic ethnic foods. I like what they did on the Wish with the different themed quick service locations. They can easily expand on that with more ethnic foods and keep the main dining rooms "safe". I would like all of the ships to have a shawarma place like the Magic has. They can call it the "International food hall". Have some Butter chicken, gyro, pierogi, bao buns, etc.

I respectfully disagree. If they went authentic, people would love it. Who doesn't like quality authentic Mexican food? I think most Americans and Canadians (a huge portion of DCL guests) are more adventurous than DCL gives them credit for. At WDW, some of the more "adventurous" restaurants are the hardest reservations to get. The average city in both countries has lots of international options now, and the people I know love to try new things. I don't think the average American just eats hamburgers and Taco Bell these days. I think the idea that we have simple pallets is outdated. The first thing an American or Canadian wants to do in a foreign country is try the local cuisine.

Even if they went American style, there are plenty of options that don't involve boat loads of cheese, unless you are doing it like those 1990's style places that are falling out of style. There is an upscale Mexican place near us that does plenty of Americanized versions of dishes that aren't loaded with cheese in a style that would fit the MDR's perfectly. Really flavorful stuff, plated well, but appealing to the average person. You can't even get into the place because it's so popular, and I live in a pretty homogenized American city.

Even if they use cheese in many dishes, they could have options without it. But the majority of people can handle cheese, even if a handful need to take some a pill first. People love cheese. Done right, the American versions can be pretty good. But the quality varies a lot.

I think a Mexican restaurant is exactly what DCL needs to liven things up. It's truly one of the best cuisines in the world and is glaringly missing form the ships.
The problem with getting authentic, delicious Mexican food on DCL is they can't get the guacamole right. And it's an expensive ingredient so I'm afraid they wouldn't really try....

I think we were expecting cruises that went somewhere, too.
What is that supposed to mean. It wasn’t an argumentative question. I know Australia has been a destination cc members have been asking for.

What is that supposed to mean. It wasn’t an argumentative question. I know Australia has been a destination cc members have been asking for.
I think they are commenting in regards that it appears the cruises over there are the Staycation ones they did in England a couple of years ago where you do not have any port stops. Just on the ship.

I think they are commenting in regards that it appears the cruises over there are the Staycation ones they did in England a couple of years ago where you do not have any port stops. Just on the ship.
According to Disney cruiseline blog they just haven’t announced the itineraries yet. It would be more tempting if they would have thrown in a 10 nighter or two. I would expect some people to be excited about the transpacifics. Maybe 2024/ 2025 they’ll have some longer cruises. It does seem like they are testing the market. The majority of the cruises will undoubtly be Australian or Asian. That is a long expensive flight from the US.

According to Disney cruiseline blog they just haven’t announced the itineraries yet. It would be more tempting if they would have thrown in a 10 nighter or two. I would expect some people to be excited about the transpacifics. Maybe 2024/ 2025 they’ll have some longer cruises. It does seem like they are testing the market. The majority of the cruises will undoubtly be Australian or Asian. That is a long expensive flight from the US.
I think the DCL Blog is optimistic that further itinerary details are coming, but all signs point to the cruises being cruises to nowhere. That might be tempting if I was a local, but of course I'm not going to fly all the way to Australia to spend 2-5 nights on the Wonder. I can do that for a lot less money on a cruise from San Diego or something. So, the new AUS/NZ cruises aren't very exciting.

The pacific transit cruises are somewhat more interesting, but... Well, that's a lot of days at sea and then the return flight is 21+ hours. It'd have to be part of a longer Australian trip to make it worthwhile.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter