Cruise secrets that DCL doesn't tell you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the passport card (for Canada and Mexico) work?? Meaning, if we leave our passport with guest services and take our "card" on shore and, if we get into a pickle and need to present a passport, does the card work?

Thanks!!

No. As you say it is for Canada and Mexico. You cannot use it if you get stuck anyplace else

No. As you say it is for Canada and Mexico. You cannot use it if you get stuck anyplace else

I have friends who are getting a Passport Card for cruise travel as an alternative to a full passport. This is from the passport website:

"The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air."

Hope this helps.

Not a tip per se but an observation about this thread,

Post 93 was made august 30 2007 and post 94 was made august 30 2010. Personnally I think that is cool :woohoo:

I love this thread, what a great history lesson.

I am now on page 8. :surfweb:

Thanks!! As the OP of this thread, I am so excited that it has been a popular thread for this long. We have gone on many more cruises since our 25 day adventure in 2007 and look forward to hearing about Dream cruise secrets as we sail in August.

This is from the passport website:

"The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air."

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for posting! We opted to purchase both the book and card for convenience and it sounds like we are right!! We'll be able to leave our books with guest services and hope for some "stamps" from customs, and still feel "safe" leaving the ship with the easy-to-carry passport card.

The problem with the US Passport cards is they are for ground and sea travel only. If it is your only passport that you have with you and you need to fly home due to being left in port or for a medical emergency you CANNOT use the card only the book form of the passport can be used for international air travel. :(

***When we went on our cruise last October, I stopped by Target and got some plates for the characters to sign. Put them in a bag with our stateroom number along with some sharpies. ***

Wow, I love this idea! And I love that plate! We don't have a Target in town; a quick look online doesn't show this design; anybody know who else might have them?

The problem with the US Passport cards is they are for ground and sea travel only. If it is your only passport that you have with you and you need to fly home due to being left in port or for a medical emergency you CANNOT use the card only the book form of the passport can be used for international air travel. :(

oh great, now I'm nervous.

***When we went on our cruise last October, I stopped by Target and got some plates for the characters to sign. Put them in a bag with our stateroom number along with some sharpies. ***

Wow, I love this idea! And I love that plate! We don't have a Target in town; a quick look online doesn't show this design; anybody know who else might have them?

I didn't find this particular plate, but google Mickey Mouse plastic plate or Mickey Mouse white glove plastic plate. I saw a very cute Mickey Mouse white glove plastic plate.

I did find the exact plates! And some other good stufff at LaughingPlaceStore. You will have to add the .com :-) Search for plates.

oh great, now I'm nervous.

To your credit, that is actually good, because it means you (unlike many) now understand the calculated risk that is involved in using a passport card. Many think it just a less expensive, geographically restricted version of an otherwise fully featured passport. It is not and some people are going to unfortunately learn that the hard way.

My husband and I did that same two BTB cruises last year and we loved every minute of it. There was not time time to do everything we wanted to do. Get involved with Disbaoard activities! We met a lot of nice people from the Disboards and it was great to walk into a lounge or on deck and see someone that you know.
Besides pillowcases to sign we brought picture frame mats . We got them at Walmart and they are especially designed for the characters to sign around the opening. Then when you get home you put in a photo of your choice and then put it into a frame. When I bring something down to Guest Services to sigh I always bring some candy for the crew. - such as a large package or two of Hershey kisses. They appreciate them because they have to pay for any snacks.

We bring one of those wine boxes on board and love to order the free cheese and cracker plate from ROom service to go with our glass of wine.

Wish we were going with you - Have a great time.

ok I have read the entire thread (great info :)) but I still don't know whAT a fish extender is. We are booking our first cruise and I have heard the term come up a lot on here but I still don't know what it is ?

ok I have read the entire thread (great info :)) but I still don't know whAT a fish extender is. We are booking our first cruise and I have heard the term come up a lot on here but I still don't know what it is ?

look in the FAQ sticky, lots of info on Fish Extenders, at the top of the forum. :thumbsup2

I didn't find this particular plate, but google Mickey Mouse plastic plate or Mickey Mouse white glove plastic plate. I saw a very cute Mickey Mouse white glove plastic plate.

I did find the exact plates! And some other good stufff at LaughingPlaceStore. You will have to add the .com :-) Search for plates.

Got it; thanks!!

My husband would absolutely love this. Where do we sign up? We're celebrating his birthday onboard and this would be the best present ever for him.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but we just got off the Magic on the 19th and was told that due to new TSA/September 11th rules they can't do Bridge tours anymore. They did do virtual ship tours that they showed on the funnelvision though..pretty cool

On the Wonder and Magic, outside your stateroom door, there is a message clip in the shape of a fish. If the crew needs to leave something for you, this is where they leave it. (On the Dream they are seahorse shaped.) DIS cruisers have developed a game of leaving small presents for each other, but the fish clip is not conducive to this type of thing, so a fish extender was developed. The fish extender is a fabric hanging pocket system personalized with specific Disney favorites or cruisers' names. Picture a wooden dowel with ribbon for hanging the dowel, from the fish or seahorse clip, parallel to the floor. From the dowel extends a piece of fabric (with interfacing to make it sturdier) onto which pockets are fused/sewn. DISers leave the small gifts in the pockets. How many gifts and how often they're left are things folks in each FE group decide together. Sometimes it is just left up to your own discretion. We've been in groups where the gifts centered on things from your home town, homemade items, silly bandz, pirate items, candy, tissues, Shout wipes, emergency kits, koozies, embroidered items, Disney gifts, etc... It is a lot of fun to participate!

Sooo wonderful!! I just enjoyed :surfweb:reading the entire thread and took lots of notes.

I agree with those who mentioned becoming active on your particular cruise thread and participating with the activities they may decide to do as a group. On our last cruise, we had 100 people for an excursion and about 60 on another. Such fun and wonderful memories with folks we hope to cruise with again. Even had a meet for dinner and a drink at the port the night before. We had 3 groups for FE since there were so many of us. Several of us were in all 3 groups so as not to miss ALL the fun.

Don't forget to check out Cove Cafe late afternoon when wine is available. DH and I met up with another Dis couple and shared a glass of wine along with the free offerings of cheese, olives and crackers. Great way to relax before getting ready for our late dinner seating.

A little while ago someone posted on this thread that you can make coke floats.

Great idea! :thumbsup2

I also like them with root beer.

Tip: If you are going to try one and have never made one before, put the coke or root beer in first and then the vanilla ice cream.

If you put ice cream in a glass and then add the soda, you might end up with froth all over yourself. :scared1:

Can anyone tell me more about the "hidden mickey challenge?" I would really like to know!! We love searching for hidden mickeys and this sounds just perfect! ...Even though I have no clue what it is!:confused3:cool1::rotfl2::yay:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter