Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been saying this since the closure began. Whenever WDW reopens, they'll probably use a FlexPass-like system for APs at least to make reservations before entering the parks. Resort Guests and APs only at the start maybe.

It would work to limit the crowds and having to deny people at the gates. Yes, people would show up claiming they didnt know about the reservation system, whether thats true or not, but it would help control how many people get in for the day. They would Probably have to give resort guests “first dibs” unless they count all of them towards the capacity left and make the reservation system for non On-Property guests and locals. I would think that they’d want to make sure their resort guests have the ability to visit the parks as telling them that they’re spending hundreds, if not thousands on hotels that they have to get up early in the morning hoping that theyre lucky enough to reserve a spot to go to the parks might not go over well.

It's still in effect through June 10...what's changed is that there will no longer be an essential/non essential marker for businesses on May 15 (all can open under current guidelines)...but all gathering numbers and "safer at home" stay...

Well yes, but thats the case for every state that opens up. None of the states reopening are encouraging people to flood non essential stores, or beaches, or parks, theyre still telling people to make sure they proceed with caution and safety. But a lot of mandatory stay at home, and business reopening dates are being pushed up. There are some states still holding firm, or pushing the dates back.

It would work to limit the crowds and having to deny people at the gates. Yes, people would show up claiming they didnt know about the reservation system, whether thats true or not, but it would help control how many people get in for the day. They would Probably have to give resort guests “first dibs” unless they count all of them towards the capacity left and make the reservation system for non On-Property guests and locals. I would think that they’d want to make sure their resort guests have the ability to visit the parks as telling them that they’re spending hundreds, if not thousands on hotels that they have to get up early in the morning hoping that theyre lucky enough to reserve a spot to go to the parks might not go over well.
I would think the reservation system would only be able to apply to pass holders. There is no way the could apply to people who purchased tickets for specific dates.

People are thinking there will be news at the disney shareholder earning call tomorrow. I'm expecting more vague information with no specifics.

I’m expecting they’ll focus on Disney+. What I don’t know is how badly ESPN will be hit by this virus given the subscribers for Netflix. I think this virus is accelerating cord cutting.

I’m expecting they’ll focus on Disney+. What I don’t know how badly ESPN will be hit by this virus given the subscribers for Netflix. I think this virus is accelerating cord cutting.
I read something this morning saying ABC and ESPN have outperformed their competitors since COVID hit.

Some news
WDW does several CM only events throughout the year, all events had been canceled and nothing was on the schedule until now.
There's dates for mobile mammograms around property for June
And a couple of other events scheduled for July
ETA the mobile mammograms are usually scheduled year long, but the events in July have definitely been added as new

I have a reservation starting June 18 with 3 nights at Poly Bungalows and 4 nights at Riviera. Was really looking forward to this trip. Booked well before parks shut down but hoped the June 1 opening would stick.

Was feeling pretty optimistic about that until today as new projections coming out suggest the total death toll in the US is going to much higher than reported in recent weeks. Who knows whether these new projections are accurate but it doesn’t bode well for opening theme parks in a few weeks.

So this is interesting, iaapa (international association of amusement parks and attractions) has put out a set of guidelines. This group has no ability to enforce anything so this are simply guidelines and reccomendations but they do in places have very specific formulas for things like taking the square footage of an facility and determine what your capacity number should be.

They do reccomend guests wear masks (nothing about mandatory but reccomended)
They don't reccomend temp screenings. They say point blank "assume everybody is positive and build procceddurs like sanitation, social distancing and other measures to control spread"

Interestingly disney isn't listed as helping make these guidelines, but all the other major payers (cedar fair, six flags, seaworld, universal) are so this should give us an idea of what thigns may look like.

https://www.iaapa.org/sites/default/files/2020-05/IAAPA_COVID-19_ReopeningGuidance_rev1_final.pdf

I would think the reservation system would only be able to apply to pass holders. There is no way the could apply to people who purchased tickets for specific dates.
We have our 10 day PH tickets purchased for an end of May trip starting May 26, will likely get the cancelled message this week. Have a backup for July 14 booked. Would not be happy since we paid for PH for 4 adults, not to be able to PH. I would definitely expect a refund for that part of my tix.
I understand Disney doing what is safest for everyone and we would probably go and deal with the reservations but it would not be fair for those of us who paid for PH to pay more to get into the parks then those who didn't KWIM?

Last edited:
Right. We have our 10 day PH tickets purchased for an end of May trip starting May 26, will likely get the cancelled message this week. Have a backup for July 14 booked. Would not be happy since we paid for PH for 4 adults, not to be able to PH. I would definitely expect a refund for that part of my tix.
I understand Disney doing what is safest for everyone and we would probably go and deal with the reservations but it would not be fair for those of us who paid for PH to pay more to get into the parks then those who didn't KWIM?
That is where we are. We booked with Park Hoppers for July 5-17 to get the free dining promo from back in January. If they don't allow PH-ing, as long as they refund the amount the PH cost, we are fine with that.

I have a reservation for June 13-19. It is the first Disney World trip for my kids and we booked it back in early December before we knew anything about the virus. I will not be mad at Disney if it is closed but I did rent DVC points through Davids so I'm looking at potentially losing that money or hopefully rebooking via their weird voucher. If I had a Disney booking, I think we would have already rebooked. I do know, I won't rent points in the future but that is another story.

Same. We were booked in April originally. At first Davids only offered to rebook if the owner was willing, so I moved it to July. (Also I had rented points from a friend as well and Disney told her she had to use her points by October or lose them). In March I thought for sure July would be fine, now I want nothing more then to cancel it. I have travel insurance but come to find out even if WDW is still closed in July my insurance will not reimburse me for the amount out of pocket paid for lodging which is insane. Covid 19 is not “covered” by my policy regardless if they are closed. Which is insane. So no, I won’t be mad if Disney is closed. (Honestly, I don’t even feel safe going in July). However, because when I rebooked they were not yet closed in April (only in March), I was charged to upgrade my tickets. I also was only given my party ticket prices back on a gift card because again, it hadn’t been canceled yet, so I have a $700 Disney gift card now. I am not mad, it is my fault for not just waiting for Disney to cancel it, but at the time I knew we wouldn’t be going April 3 from WA state. I feel like others will be in my situation and it is really hard on people to know what to do with their trips. I feel badly for Disney having to make these tough chooses but there a lot of other third party factors for people and having to wait for them to cancel (which in a lot of cases you have to) in order to get money back or vouchers makes it really difficult on those visiting too. Party tickets, rental cars, airfare etc. Not everyone is driving distance. So I think some transparency would be really appreciated.

I have a reservation starting June 18 with 3 nights at Poly Bungalows and 4 nights at Riviera. Was really looking forward to this trip. Booked well before parks shut down but hoped the June 1 opening would stick.

Was feeling pretty optimistic about that until today as new projections coming out suggest the total death toll in the US is going to much higher than reported in recent weeks. Who knows whether these new projections are accurate but it doesn’t bode well for opening theme parks in a few weeks.

I heard about the NYT article today. I haven’t read it yet. This virus should resume its exponential growth once we reopen.

Concerning WDW I still think in order for them to open, they will need to be able to have 100% occupancy in their restaurants and retail stores.

Flex Pass works for Disneyland because the majority of their AP holders are local and don’t have to stay in hotels when they visit.

Disney World is different in that a lot of AP live out of state or have a pretty far drive to get to Orlando. I live in Indiana and have a trip planned for June. I also have an AP. It wouldn’t make sense to say only guests with a dated park ticket would get in without a reservation as I am staying onsite and I paid plenty for my AP.

In March I thought for sure July would be fine, now I want nothing more then to cancel it.

Same here as far as thinking July- even June for me, would be fine. I think some people forget what the general mindset was back in March- it seems like a lifetime ago. But I seriously thought, as did a lot of other people, this would last a few weeks at most. Never ever did I think I'd be worrying about whether a trip in late June would happen or that maybe the changes would be so severe I wouldn't want to go. Keep that in mind when I'm spouting off my "predictions". lol

Flex Pass works for Disneyland because the majority of their AP holders are local and don’t have to stay in hotels when they visit.

Disney World is different in that a lot of AP live out of state or have a pretty far drive to get to Orlando. I live in Indiana and have a trip planned for June. I also have an AP. It wouldn’t make sense to say only guests with a dated park ticket would get in without a reservation as I am staying onsite and I paid plenty for my AP.
Wouldn't it work better for people that live out of state than those taking spur of the moment trips? Just imagine you can book your park days well in advance, around when you book their hotel or dining reservations.

Maybe I'm missing something but if you know you are going why would it be a big deal to make reservations?

For disney though I could see them easily say "if you book a FP for a park on a certain day that also creates a reservation for that park" so having a FP gives you a reservation and if you don't book a FP then there would be a separate option for just a reservation.

I would try to stay optimistic. All the initial projections were wrong. The actual death rates and numbers have been lower than they predicted. Things are opening up, people are realizing that it’s not as dangerous as initially feared. Risks are very low for people under 65.
I hope you get to go on your trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter