Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disney Stock Gets Downgraded By Longtime Bull On Eve Of Q2 Earnings Report

Disney’s parks should reopen by July 1, Nathanson estimates, though that’s an optimistic timeline given the uncertainty about public spaces and still-evolving health protocols. Even once the gates swing open, though, there is likely to be a hangover from the months of closure as well as the broader economic meltdown, which has quickly forced tens of millions in the U.S. into unemployment.
Given this news, I believe they almost have to give some kind of a window as to when they hope to open( sooner/later). I'm sure the shareholders of the company anxiously wanting some return on investment.

I could see WDW doing something like this to start...annual passholders and those staying on-site with ticket packages, for example. It would be the easiest way to control crowds. But I don't know if big crowds will be an issue anyway, with the combination of people being scared to go anywhere combined with those who economically can't go.

Didnt Disneyland do advanced park reservations with one of their new Annual passes last year where you had reserve when you wanted to go visit the park?

Didnt Disneyland do advanced park reservations with one of their new Annual passes last year where you had reserve when you wanted to go visit the park?

I seem to remember something like that, but I can't say for certain, perhaps someone else knows for certain.

They would have a hard time doing that for WDW just because of sheer logistics and numbers, along with the fact that there are 4 parks. The best way for WDW to control crowds early on will be allow access to AP, those staying on site at WDW resorts, and then after those numbers are calculated, make everything else first-come, first-serve to the general public until capacity is reached. Almost like how a sports team handles season tickets and then single-game tickets....season ticketholders get first dibs on seats, and then they sell the others on a game-by-game basis. Perhaps WDW will have a set amount of park tickets to sell on a daily basis based on population of the resorts, a number they will have on hand at all times, and that number will change daily.

Yes, the Flex Passport allows you to reserve dates for visits in advance. From what I've heard from friends who have purchased it, the system is pretty straightforward, easy to use and reliable.

The Disneyland Flex Passport is what I was talking about

• Reservation-required dates and blockout dates apply (including holidays and other peak days) and vary by theme park. An advance reservation is required for admission to a park on a reservation-required date. Reservations are subject to availability.

I think this could be a possible way they go about reopening, to start at least. Maybe not for everyone. Maybe resort guests are “guaranteed” entry into at least one of the parks and everyone else has to reserve a spot

People keep calling me out on this statement. I should have simply replied the first time with "that statement was depressing, not an ounce of hope in it" I know it's nothing new, but so far Disney has said pretty much nothing at the meetings, and I was hoping that the first time they did it would be a little more positive than this statement. As I just told my husband "this is a 'manage your expectations' time period", I just really long for a more positive statement (something, anything).

I think we all do botth from disney and other places and so far most news isn't good. After losing STar Wars Half marathon, my July 4th race got cancelled last week. I'd love to know when I can go do a race again but right now not sure when that will be. While I'm not running it I hope the rescheduled Boston Marathon happens because I think that would help give hope to people.

Some restaurants near me open up this weekend and I did go to one I often go to (even though I knew I likely shouldn't) and all the changes they had made with so few tables, every other booth with the seats upside down, a huge thing of tables with no chairs down the middle of the restaurant as a divider was actually a bit depressing. Does make one wonder what Disney in June would look like. I appreciate them taking all appropriate percautions which they should have but after you do so if it makes the place depressing was it worth it? I'm not sure.

For what it's worth, VA just announced Phase one with gyms, restaurants, and salons allowed to reopen w/ limited capacity. Set to begin next Friday as of now. VA has been on the more draconian side of shelter in place thus far.

originally their stay at home order was until June 8th. Showing that the situation is very fluid and it might not be longer timelines, but also shorter

I wonder if people would have a problem with the reserve park days in advance option. We always buy a park hopper so we can evaluate/make park choices on the fly for certain days. So personally this would cause me to re-evaluate dropping the money to go. Maybe more so than the dreaded m word
More and more everyday I’m a little less interested in when they are going to open and more interested in what the limitations will be as I can see us putting off our summer trip until things hopefully settle down a bit and maybe normalize more. If that’s after a vaccine so be it...

Yes, it is the Flex pass. You make reservations for the weekends basically and can’t hold more than 2 in a rolling 30 day period. Works out pretty well!

News

It seems Six Flags will be requiring reservations to go to their parks upon reopening. This is found on the park hours section of their site for each park:
View attachment 492692
The Disneyland Flex Passport is what I was talking about

• Reservation-required dates and blockout dates apply (including holidays and other peak days) and vary by theme park. An advance reservation is required for admission to a park on a reservation-required date. Reservations are subject to availability.

I think this could be a possible way they go about reopening, to start at least. Maybe not for everyone. Maybe resort guests are “guaranteed” entry into at least one of the parks and everyone else has to reserve a spot
I've been saying this since the closure began. Whenever WDW reopens, they'll probably use a FlexPass-like system for APs at least to make reservations before entering the parks. Resort Guests and APs only at the start maybe.

I think we all do botth from disney and other places and so far most news isn't good. After losing STar Wars Half marathon, my July 4th race got cancelled last week. I'd love to know when I can go do a race again but right now not sure when that will be. While I'm not running it I hope the rescheduled Boston Marathon happens because I think that would help give hope to people.

Some restaurants near me open up this weekend and I did go to one I often go to (even though I knew I likely shouldn't) and all the changes they had made with so few tables, every other booth with the seats upside down, a huge thing of tables with no chairs down the middle of the restaurant as a divider was actually a bit depressing. Does make one wonder what Disney in June would look like. I appreciate them taking all appropriate percautions which they should have but after you do so if it makes the place depressing was it worth it? I'm not sure.
I personally would love to have less people sat near me, have always hated going to certain Disney retaurants and having a table sat so close I could hit them with my elbow when I cut my meat (I'm looking at you Coral Reef and Le Cellier). We don't eat out much, but I'm not sure I would find it all that depressing. I think it's more depressing seeing my friends and family in the Orlando area lose their jobs and not receiving their unemployment. Obviously it's more ideal to continue to keep more strict measures in place for a while, it's just not possible, we just all have to do the best we can and adjust to what things are like for the time being.

I still think that free dining offer should have gone until at least the end of the year. They kind of forced peoples hands with it. If you wanted the special offer they were giving they were basically saying you had to deal with possible COVID-19 issues, Florida summer, hurricane season, or (hopefully!) the beginning of the school year.

Again, not saying it gives people a right to riot on June 1 if they don’t get to go, but it would have been nice to give that option.
But that was the whole point- to “force” people back to the parks after they open. If they need to add incentives later, they will. The free offer wasn’t because they felt bad for cancelled guests. They want a guaranteed number in the parks.

I wonder if people would have a problem with the reserve park days in advance option. We always buy a park hopper so we can evaluate/make park choices on the fly for certain days. So personally this would cause me to re-evaluate dropping the money to go. Maybe more so than the dreaded m word
More and more everyday I’m a little less interested in when they are going to open and more interested in what the limitations will be as I can see us putting off our summer trip until things hopefully settle down a bit and maybe normalize more. If that’s after a vaccine so be it...
I really wouldn’t mind b/c lately we haven’t been bothering with park hoppers. And it would be nice if the point of the reservation would be to limit capacity. But, it seems like there would also be no point in selling park hoppers.

originally their stay at home order was until June 8th. Showing that the situation is very fluid and it might not be longer timelines, but also shorter

It's still in effect through June 10...what's changed is that there will no longer be an essential/non essential marker for businesses on May 15 (all can open under current guidelines)...but all gathering numbers and "safer at home" stay...

Last edited:
I really wouldn’t mind b/c lately we haven’t been bothering with park hoppers. And it would be nice if the point of the reservation would be to limit capacity. But, it seems like there would also be no point in selling park hoppers.
Yes I guess you are right. Would all be personal preference I suppose. Only issue I see is people would be juggling park res based on fp snagging so would be in constant flux. Maybe that’s why a few days ago somebody posted a rumor there would be no FP. I really think there are 4 camps here 1) those that will go when they open, no questions asked. 2) those that won’t for a long time 3) those that want to see what the deal is and what the restrictions are before deciding 4) those that hope they stay closed so they don’t have to decide!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter