Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really think my whole point is being missed. Folks on here tend to talk about WDW as simply “open” or “closed,” and what I’m saying is that the more relevant/plausible conversation to be having might be the extent to which WDW fully operates in the coming months. There’s a lot of room between fully open (or even “open” to the extent WDW is now) and fully closed. Disney won’t extend park hours, bring more QSRs and shops online, reopen more resorts and restaurants, and resume more offerings if it isn’t seeing growing demand and revenue. Local APs may bring demand but they’re not bringing revenue.

If a major city rolls back certain reopenings or reverts to a lockdown, does that mean literally every person within a hundred miles of that city is going to cancel their WDW vacation? Of course not. But “average” Guests look for signals that inform their confidence level in travel. The narrative about increasing prevalence of the virus is bound to resonate with more people if they start seeing headlines about cities rolling back restrictions or reverting to a lockdown. Just because it doesn’t deter people like me doesn’t mean it won’t deter some people. This thread or these Boards isn’t representative of the “average” WDW guest. When a hurricane is projected to hit Central Florida, there are folks on this board that will book a trip to WDW because they want to be there during a hurricane.

While the vast majority of “average” Guests aren’t even considering traveling to WDW now, if confidence starts to lower in even a few corners of that already small pool of out of town guests that are showing up, that will absolutely have an effect on the parks. I think about DVC members for example (many of whom are from the NY and Chicago areas). Not all DVC members are super-Disney fans or DISers, and while on here, it’s borderline criminal to admit you’re letting your points just expire, I know a number of couples who’ve done just that since they weren’t really comfortable with a WDW vacation this year. And even if most DVC members still came, them and APs are not enough to sustain four parks (each with hundreds of shops, carts, restaurants, and kiosks), two water parks, DS, and 30 hotels. WDW desperately needs out of town Guests and an erosion of the already-minuscule group they’re currently getting will affect every WDW guest. It’s business model isn’t built to cater just to APs, locals, DVC members, and Disney diehards. There’s just not enough of them.

All in all what I’m saying is that, if you’re planning a visit at some point this winter after the new year, I’d heavily manage my expectations if the current situation continues on this path.

I was there last Saturday and it sure didn't feel like 25%. If it was I surely don't want to be there when they are at 100% or even 50% for that matter. Hour long wait times for It's A Small World is not for me.

So if DHS was at the 35% yesterday I can say it wasn't much of a problem for us, we still felt it wasn't overly crowded with some crowding in choke points. We were able to get on all of the rides we wanted before 2pm and had the rest of the day to re-ride things or check out some shops. We also had BG 13 and were in line for RoTR around 9:00 and off by 9:25 and I didn't want to leave it!

My only disappointment was the lack of Ahsoka Clone Wars sabers but that did save me some $$ technically.

Edit: If I were to have a complaint it would be that the CMs handing out 3D glasses should wear some form of gloves. I know they probably sanitize but we definitely made TSMM one and done after watching the CM touch the lens with their hands. We wiped them after we received them and all but just something that was a little out of our comfort zone.

Last edited:
Dont know what they were at yesterday but they arent capable of safely handling that size crowd right now. Not shocked that $ is winning out over safety.

Dont know what they were at yesterday but they arent capable of safely handling that size crowd right now. Not shocked that $ is winning out over safety.
I was thinking this as well. With lines stretching all out into the parks for all of the rides at 25%, there is no way at all to implement any kind of social distancing at even 50% because there's nowhere to put these lines. Disney, whose m/o was to pack people in like cattle all these years must really be at a loss for what to do right now. Interestingly though, those absolutely HUGE lines like at It's Tough To Be A Bug are finally getting some use. That one and the line for The Little Mermaid always make me think they were expecting massive crowds apparently. We rode The Little Mermaid this past Saturday and even that line was well beyond it's entrance, and that's a LOOONG line. They're going to have to limit the social distancing to 3ft to fit everyone in. For me 3 feet is plenty far enough away, and that seemed to be about as far as most people were when I was there anyway.

Headed to DAK today. Not arriving at Rope Drop. At 7:30 am at the CBR station there was a line of about 30 people at the gate. The POP/AoA line was moving but I didnt see people getting off. So sometime between 7:30am and 8am they start operating to DHS.

I read they've also recently opened up some more restaurants and such (or are in the process of) so that's probably factoring into their calculations of what each park can "handle", even if it doesn't seem that way to some guests.

Florida and Illinois are very different politically. There is near zero chance Florida would lock down.
That near zero chance is increasing substantially daily i believe.

Rates are soaring in almost every state. Even if they aren't right now in your suburb or town but they are in your neighbouring city then they probably will in your area as well pretty soon.

I know I'm very much the minority here, but I just can't understand why people insist on doing the maximum they are allowed to do right now. If we all did a little less than that maybe this latest wave wouldn't be happening or at least it could have been delayed until after Christmas. We're in this mess from people doing what they want rather than only doing what they perhaps should.

Last edited:
I read they've also recently opened up some more restaurants and such (or are in the process of) so that's probably factoring into their calculations of what each park can "handle", even if it doesn't seem that way to some guests.

Its just about where people can go. Math doesnt.factor in human behavior and habit. There is no one in their right mind who can think its "safe" right now. It was my first trip (and probably last trip) down until things normalize. What I realized yesterday is that without entertainment and shows eating up crowds, people just gravitate towards the usual choke points. Someone isnt now all of a sudden hanging out on a random walkway by a closed snack cart or gift shop so they can be socially distant, they want something to do.

Heck, even before the line started forming for the emporium at night, it was extremely uncomfortable in there. Im shocked management hasnt done anything about it for the safety of their staff and guests.

There are basically 2 solutions...drop your crowds, or open up everything non parade/fireworks and eat those costs.

No. The chance that FL shuts down is not increasing substantially daily. FL is going to stay open no matter what lockdowns are implemented in other states. There is virtually no chance FL will choose to lock down again regardless of the covid situation there. Can’t discuss further or it would cross a political line.

No. The chance that FL shuts down is not increasing substantially daily. FL is going to stay open no matter what lockdowns are implemented in other states. There is virtually no chance FL will choose to lock down again regardless of the covid situation there. Can’t discuss further or it would cross a political line.
That's just gonna be a wait and see thing.

That's just gonna be a wait and see thing.

Ooh, now I get to use the snarky laughing emoji reaction on you! Sorry, you’re going to be waiting for a long time (forever) if you think FL will lock down on their own accord.

Anyway, on a different note ... this may have been discussed yesterday but did anyone see that new Minnie Mouse Main Attraction fireworks merch line coming out? I think it’s interesting that they wouldn’t delay that release to coincide with some kind of fireworks coming back. Seems bizarre to bring attention to the fact that there’s no fireworks right now.

Ooh, now I get to use the snarky laughing emoji reaction on you! Sorry, you’re going to be waiting for a long time (forever) if you think FL will lock down on their own accord.

Anyway, on a different note ... this may have been discussed yesterday but did anyone see that new Minnie Mouse Main Attraction fireworks merch line coming out? I think it’s interesting that they wouldn’t delay that release to coincide with some kind of fireworks coming back. Seems bizarre to bring attention to the fact that there’s no fireworks right now.
To be fair the Minnie Mouse Attraction collection came out before covid struck so it's not like it's intentional.

I really think my whole point is being missed. Folks on here tend to talk about WDW as simply “open” or “closed,” and what I’m saying is that the more relevant/plausible conversation to be having might be the extent to which WDW fully operates in the coming months. There’s a lot of room between fully open (or even “open” to the extent WDW is now) and fully closed. Disney won’t extend park hours, bring more QSRs and shops online, reopen more resorts and restaurants, and resume more offerings if it isn’t seeing growing demand and revenue. Local APs may bring demand but they’re not bringing revenue.

If a major city rolls back certain reopenings or reverts to a lockdown, does that mean literally every person within a hundred miles of that city is going to cancel their WDW vacation? Of course not. But “average” Guests look for signals that inform their confidence level in travel. The narrative about increasing prevalence of the virus is bound to resonate with more people if they start seeing headlines about cities rolling back restrictions or reverting to a lockdown. Just because it doesn’t deter people like me doesn’t mean it won’t deter some people. This thread or these Boards isn’t representative of the “average” WDW guest. When a hurricane is projected to hit Central Florida, there are folks on this board that will book a trip to WDW because they want to be there during a hurricane.

While the vast majority of “average” Guests aren’t even considering traveling to WDW now, if confidence starts to lower in even a few corners of that already small pool of out of town guests that are showing up, that will absolutely have an effect on the parks. I think about DVC members for example (many of whom are from the NY and Chicago areas). Not all DVC members are super-Disney fans or DISers, and while on here, it’s borderline criminal to admit you’re letting your points just expire, I know a number of couples who’ve done just that since they weren’t really comfortable with a WDW vacation this year. And even if most DVC members still came, them and APs are not enough to sustain four parks (each with hundreds of shops, carts, restaurants, and kiosks), two water parks, DS, and 30 hotels. WDW desperately needs out of town Guests and an erosion of the already-minuscule group they’re currently getting will affect every WDW guest. It’s business model isn’t built to cater just to APs, locals, DVC members, and Disney diehards. There’s just not enough of them.

All in all what I’m saying is that, if you’re planning a visit at some point this winter after the new year, I’d heavily manage my expectations if the current situation continues on this path.
I appreciate your insight. All I know it's going to be interesting to see what happens in the next few months

Literally just saw that same post and came straight here. That’s wild, a year of no DLR. Wow.
It’ll probably be longer than a year. Unless the California governor relaxes his position, there is no way any major theme park will be able to open in that state.

Rates are soaring in almost every state. Even if they aren't right now in your suburb or town but they are in your neighbouring city then they probably will in your area as well pretty soon.

I know I'm very much the minority here, but I just can't understand why people insist on doing the maximum they are allowed to do right now. If we all did a little less than that maybe this latest wave wouldn't be happening or at least it could have been delayed until after Christmas. We're in this mess from people doing what they want rather than only doing what they perhaps should.
I’d be confident in saying that there is zero chance Florida will shut down based on the attitude of the leadership of the state.

People are doing the most they’re allowed to do because this is a weird prisoners dilemma. Most are looking at it this way: I can stay home and do my part, but most of the rest of the country won’t do it so the length of the pandemic won’t really shorten. So why bother if everyone else won’t cooperate?

Things are bad in the US but it’s far from the only place experiencing a bad wave of COVID. People get complacent over time and it’s a rough ask for people to shut their lives down for another 6-9 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter