Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope we can look back on this in 6 months and be glad we "overreacted" in the end.
We will never know. If these measures, and more that are coming down the pipeline, work, and the spread is slowed and the effect not so bad, people will say we overreacted when really it could have been the measures that succeeded. If these measures don't work, and we feel the brunt of this virus, people will say we didn't do enough soon enough, though it may never have mattered.

This is a darned if you do, darned if you don't situation. And we may never know if we did too little, too much, too soon, too late. If we panicked too much, or weren't serious enough. That's why I'm frustrated not with the media coverage or the actions of places like Disney or the government, but with the attitudes of people.

We used to have a concept of shared sacrifice in this country. We will see if we are able to summon up that concept again or if we will let our individual wants and desires continue to run rampant. The shared sacrifice may be important, or it may not, but having the societal willpower to enact it is important in times of crisis. We will see how America, and the world, does.

We will never know. If these measures, and more that are coming down the pipeline, work, and the spread is slowed and the effect not so bad, people will say we overreacted when really it could have been the measures that succeeded. If these measures don't work, and we feel the brunt of this virus, people will say we didn't do enough soon enough, though it may never have mattered.

This is a darned if you do, darned if you don't situation. And we may never know if we did too little, too much, too soon, too late. If we panicked too much, or weren't serious enough. That's why I'm frustrated not with the media coverage or the actions of places like Disney or the government, but with the attitudes of people.

We used to have a concept of shared sacrifice in this country. We will see if we are able to summon up that concept again or if we will let our individual wants and desires continue to run rampant. The shared sacrifice may be important, or it may not, but having the societal willpower to enact it is important in times of crisis. We will see how America, and the world, does.

Very well said.

ETA: He just promised financial help for Canadian families.

This is the kind of thing that would help head off the panic in the US if our government could come together to make it happen. It will help convince people who are afraid of losing a paycheck to stay home if they are sick instead of going in.
Some kind of moratorium on attendance based terminations during the next month or so would help too.

Add six flags discorty kingdom and six flags over texas to the list. Except the rest of the six flags parks to follow soon.

See the moron who got on the plane knowing he was positive for the virus), s
Test results were returned while he was on the plane. It's the fault of CDC for not expediting tests. The test itself takes a few hours; all the time is wasted getting the specimen to the lab and communicating the results.

I was just up at the parks...UO (who I love and mean no disrespect to - everyone's doing their best) had a bunch of purell stations throughout parks, but they were ALWAYS out of sanitizer...not a single one had any - so not sure if they've been checking regularly or just can't keep up. But I brought my own and honestly everyone shouldn't rely on that anyway.

But there was one thing that was very troublesome: when the ticket sensor was having trouble reading my passholder fingerprint on file the first few times, a couple of team members kept trying to get me to wipe my finger (which had just touched the dirty sensor thousands of others had touched) behind my ear and on my arm, so I could try again. o_O I smiled and just nicely said I don't think that's wise given the recent outbreaks. lol Of course this was a week or so ago...so maybe the awareness has improved. But I can see this spreading faster than it has to because of issues like that.

One of my kids mentioned the wiping behind the ear part too! Never heard of that and thought it was odd too!

What jknezek posted really brought back memories. When I was 12 Chicago had a historic snow fall, there was 23 inches on 1/26 and between 1/26 and 2/5 a total of 36.5 inches fell. But what I remember most was how incredible everyone was in helping each other. People came together as I have never seen since. When we walked to the grocery store, my dad made sure we took only one of what we needed-no hoarding, he reminded us there were others in need. I can only hope that the best of people comes out in this time of crisis.

And so many people on these boards wanted a recession so the prices would come down. Never thought we would get there this way.

We don’t need a recession for prices to drop. We have power in numbers! Disney needs us, not the other way around. Their spending is out of control and the pay scale at the top is ridiculous. When they realize there’s less people going to the parks bc they squeeze every penny out of hard working people for a vacation, they will have no choice but to bring prices back down to reality or face further losses.

We don’t need a recession for prices to drop. We have power in numbers! Disney needs us, not the other way around. Their spending is out of control and the pay scale at the top is ridiculous. When they realize there’s less people going to the parks bc they squeeze every penny out of hard working people for a vacation, they will have no choice but to bring prices back down to reality or face further losses.
Prices won't DROP (at least DIRECTLY) -- they will just offer more incentives (like free dining) .. or just more "discounts" from their current prices.

Prices won't DROP (at least DIRECTLY) -- they will just offer more incentives (like free dining) .. or just more "discounts" from their current prices.
I checked a few different seven nights stays in the spring, summer and fall, so far all the same prices and discounts apply. They haven't changed any as of about an hour ago. They have bigger things to deal with right now.

So we've heard of closures from disney, universal, and cedar fair.

Still not heard from is six flags, sea world, and herchend.

Obviously the difference here is the first category has other revenue streams they can fall back on for a bit but the latter really don't. However especially with even trump finally calling a national emergency (which he was very resistent to) I think that latter category will likely have to announce closures today.

Been a crazy and weird few days.
Seeing how teenagers and young adults without underlying health issues are relatively unaffected. Could sea world parks stay open with vulvernuble staff given paid leave.
The public aren't going to stay indoors for 3 months. With clever marketing/cheap pricing they would be packed. Can you imagine how busy they would be for iron gwazi and ice breaker openings with no other theme parks open.
Would be controversial but not as controversial as they were for black fish. Free advertising with the amount of press coverage/bloggers talking about it.

So we've heard of closures from disney, universal, and cedar fair.

Still not heard from is six flags, sea world, and herchend.

Fun Spot has stated they intend to remain open for now. SeaWorld, Six Flags and Cedar Fair closed nationwide. Dollywood opened today and intends to operate as scheduled. As does Legoland Florida.

I checked a few different seven nights stays in the spring, summer and fall, so far all the same prices and discounts apply. They haven't changed any as of about an hour ago. They have bigger things to deal with right now.

They are not going to make any decisions on that right now. Only after the parks open back up and they see what crowd levels look like will they start any kind of discounts or perks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter