Covid vaccine & high risk - hoping to plan our family trip soon.

Getting ready for my second shot and came back to share that the first mRNA did trigger a bit of a flare but that like most of the symptoms people get from the vaccine things last then are gone in 24 hours, thank goodness, however the autoimmune flare was a week after, so that's different.

I'm sharing because while I did hear about the potential flares being a thing there seems to be nothing reliable out there on the experience itself on people like me so at least now other people can find something... I'm just a person but I'll share.
It is probably good for people and their caregivers to know that people with autoimmune issues may have issues up front like everyone else but they also might experience discomfort lagging a bit behind when they think the issues would happen so if a person is slowing down or seems off in week 2 or 3 it might be this so just continue to take it easy & check in with your Dr.

For me: starting on day 8 I experienced individual symptom flares in the form I normally get, almost one by one but unlike normal flares these would pop up in the afternoon or evening and then be gone the next day, which has been a relief. It was like ripples in a pond where you get one thing, it gets a bit stronger (just enough to make sure I notice) but then just sort of subsides.

I'm doing number 2 this weekend, wish me luck!

Two friends at work also have autoimmune issues and were laid low by the first and second shots. One friend has not been able to come back to work yet, as she had what you also described, but so bad that she couldn't get out of bed for a few days. I feel like the vaccine was rushed on us so much, out of necessity of course, that we didn't do the due diligence that usually comes with an injection.

Last Friday, I got my second Moderna - I am now a fully vaccinated MamaBunny!

I also feel like I got drug around by a truck. Ironically, today I read an article on Apple News that said that overall, men are suffering fewer (and less significant) side effects than women. At first, researchers thought it might be that men just weren't as good about self-reporting, but now it seems apparent that women are literally processing the vaccine differently than men, and it results in more (potential) side effects for some women.

I am, apparently, some women.

So, headaches, low-grade fever, chills, body aches, red raised injection site - I got it all. I had a similar reaction to my first Moderna injection, but had foolishly hoped that my body would figure out what was going on with the second one, and so on I blithely went, thinking it would be fine! Nope LOL my body is still cranky about the whole thing!

It's OK, because first of all, my doctor(s) are monitoring me (given my recent surgery) and I am also taking part in the CDC's V-Safe/VAERS system which helps track side effects and reactions to the injections. And most importantly, in just under 2 weeks, I'm going to be as safe as I can be - and so I will feel better about going out and about in the world, although still with a mask, and still with reasonable precautions.

Would I do it again, even knowing how the side effects would be? Yes. In a heartbeat. I want to be as proactive and protected as I can be - for myself, and for everyone around me. Including you, my Disney friends 🙂

I also feel like I got drug around by a truck. Ironically, today I read an article on Apple News that said that overall, men are suffering fewer (and less significant) side effects than women. At first, researchers thought it might be that men just weren't as good about self-reporting, but now it seems apparent that women are literally processing the vaccine differently than men, and it results in more (potential) side effects for some women.

So, headaches, low-grade fever, chills, body aches, red raised injection site - I got it all. I had a similar reaction to my first Moderna injection, but had foolishly hoped that my body would figure out what was going on with the second one, and so on I blithely went, thinking it would be fine! Nope LOL my body is still cranky about the whole thing!

It's OK, because first of all, my doctor(s) are monitoring me (given my recent surgery) and I am also taking part in the CDC's V-Safe/VAERS system which helps track side effects and reactions to the injections. And most importantly, in just under 2 weeks, I'm going to be as safe as I can be - and so I will feel better about going out and about in the world, although still with a mask, and still with reasonable precautions.

Would I do it again, even knowing how the side effects would be? Yes. In a heartbeat. I want to be as proactive and protected as I can be - for myself, and for everyone around me. Including you, my Disney friends 🙂
I get my second of the other one on Thursday

So, headaches, low-grade fever, chills, body aches, red raised injection site - I got it all. I had a similar reaction to my first Moderna injection
I got my 2nd Moderna shot 9 days ago now and had more/longer side effects with #2. Fever and body aches passed after 48 hours and I thought great! Then I started with a low grade fever that came and went and some diarrhea. I also have IBS so my digestive system is sensitive. Finally yesterday no fever and the fatigue subsided. I had issues with headaches for 2-3 weeks after the first shot and not as much this time. No injection shot issues but a sore arm a worse than the flu shot.

Now if someone would like to take me to Disney World I am available! :jumping1: My next trip is for sure in December (for a friend's milestone birthday). Not sure if we will make it this summer.

Got my second Pfizer yesterday, I got the same joint pain & muscle aches as I did day 8 of the first shot but unlike a normal flare this is just a flash in the pan, it's there a bit then just vanishes. For the first shot I was very worried what I was feeling might build and stick around because when someone like me with autoimmune disease hears flare it's alarming but this wasn't that, at all. I think they should call it a transient flare or something else because it's quick and gone so nothing to be worried about IMO. Really hope more info starts coming out about it not being the same thing. I felt the weird stuff I normally do, only more intense land the different symptoms were taking turns but it was there and then it was gone in a few hours. For me it was no more than if I were to walk a bit too long at the mall or life a pan a bit too heavy. Seems to be short lived side effects everyone else gets, but the ones unique to my body. I think being so worried about it caused way more damage than the shot and am now soooo

Rest of the family, my DH had nothing other than arm ache the first time, this time nothing. My 20 something kids got theirs and after the Moderna one went to an all day over 21 party ;) the same day so nothing but a mild arm ache for him (waiting on the second) and the other got a headache yesterday and chills overnight feels sleepy but seems ok - so my family seems to support the male female difference. Also have relatives with fibromyalgia & cancer and all sorts of other ages and situations and noone has had much to say, I think there is one person we know of with no known anything who felt a few hours of flu like something that vanished overnight. Guess it's good to know whatever happens it's only a few hours.

Nothing here that would give me pause for any boosters in the future, I'm completely at ease same goes for everyone I know so far.

I got my 2nd Moderna shot 9 days ago now and had more/longer side effects with #2. Fever and body aches passed after 48 hours and I thought great! Then I started with a low grade fever that came and went and some diarrhea. I also have IBS so my digestive system is sensitive. Finally yesterday no fever and the fatigue subsided. I had issues with headaches for 2-3 weeks after the first shot and not as much this time. No injection shot issues but a sore arm a worse than the flu shot.

Now if someone would like to take me to Disney World I am available! :jumping1: My next trip is for sure in December (for a friend's milestone birthday). Not sure if we will make it this summer.

LOL If I could manage it, you and I would go and the whole time, we would act our shoe size, and *NOT* our ages!!! 😉

Two friends at work also have autoimmune issues and were laid low by the first and second shots. One friend has not been able to come back to work yet, as she had what you also described, but so bad that she couldn't get out of bed for a few days. I feel like the vaccine was rushed on us so much, out of necessity of course, that we didn't do the due diligence that usually comes with an injection.
Are your friends doing any better? Sad to hear they aren't doing so great :( I hope things turn around for them soon.

It's so hard to know what it is that triggers AI issues, today it's raining and I'm pretty much uggh & bits and pieces hurt a bit. I guess it could be the shot, or it could be I wore different slippers yesterday, or it could be the pollen is high here and my body is saying nope, it could be the rain or even that today was the day my body simply decided to kick up some dust. It's not like I'm great 24/7 and this is new, it is what it is - so be it.

Took more time then normal to walk things out to the garbage this morning and then it started to rain as I was making my way, like literally in the middle on the walk back - what are the chances. I sort of thought to myself, OK, I can go with half empty or half full, my choice. Decided to consider the rain on my head a sort of Baptism, washing away the last year (it's been exhausting) and making way for new. I am vaccinated and can maybe rejoin the world so this is how it'll be in my head and so I smiled to myself in a way I haven't for a while :flower1:

I got my second Pfizer shot a couple of days ago and yesterday I felt like crap. I got all of those that you listed. I would go from being freezing, to sweating I was so hot. It also felt like someone tried to rip my arm off. That whole area hurt, even under by my armpit. I could barely move my arm for hours. I slept it off last night and feel better this morning except my arm still hurts a bit and it is warm to the touch. My first shot I kept getting hot flashes for a day. When I got my second shot, the person who gave it to me(at a pharmacy) asked about symptoms from the first shot. I told her about it and she laughed and said that was not from the shot. That is so frustrating that they don't believe you. Why even ask then? I think symptoms don't get reported from woman as often because they just blow us off as if we are making it up.

I got my second Pfizer shot a couple of days ago and yesterday I felt like crap. I got all of those that you listed. I would go from being freezing, to sweating I was so hot. It also felt like someone tried to rip my arm off. That whole area hurt, even under by my armpit. I could barely move my arm for hours. I slept it off last night and feel better this morning except my arm still hurts a bit and it is warm to the touch. My first shot I kept getting hot flashes for a day. When I got my second shot, the person who gave it to me(at a pharmacy) asked about symptoms from the first shot. I told her about it and she laughed and said that was not from the shot. That is so frustrating that they don't believe you. Why even ask then? I think symptoms don't get reported from woman as often because they just blow us off as if we are making it up.

I totally hear you, it's so stressful and scary to be looking for help and discover there isn't any. I've been to the ER where a Dr told me he'd say I was having a panic attack if my BP wasn't so strange, thing is I was on a biologic at the time and the drugs are new and non specialty Dr's just haven't caught up to what that means much less be able to help tweak it. Most people (and a majority of Dr's) just have no idea how diverse and dangerous autoimmune issues can be and they'd rather write it off than admit they are out of their depth, it's both frustrating and dangerous. This is ignorance and being defensive of that lack of knowledge so for this reason I offered to be a "model patient" for my local teaching hospital so residents can ask questions and learn so the next me isn't missed. I can't change anything about who is already out and about but I can contribute to making the next set of Dr's better so I will do that. I feel like it could help

Both friends are doing better now, thank you for asking about them! DD also got hit hard by the second shot, missed two days of work. Scariest symptom was her very stiff neck :scared1:

Great they are ok! I had a stiff neck too but I've had one before so for me it wasn't an alarming thing, I can see how that would be worrying, personally I figured t it was all the lymph nodes going into hyperdrive. It sort of seems like the shots just wake up our immune systems in an abrupt way and since the body isn't quite sure what the offender is it just swarms everything that might be sending a distress signal for a bit and when it doesn't see what it's looking for it goes on to the next thing, on and on until it's satisfied and goes back to sleep. Strikes me as how I behave if I hear a loud bang late at night where I turn on all the lights and search every room to make sure no-one else is in the house, it sort of seems like this is what's going on. Oddly, a few weeks after the first shot but before the second a few things seems to vanish, like my body did a really good cleaning out so in the end it seemed like a good thing. I'm curious if it will seem the same a few weeks after this second shot has cleared my system.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter