Contemporary vs Wilderness Cabins -- which would you do?

adamsloco

Mouseketeer
I am trying to decide which way to go on this. I have the Contemporary Resort (Magic Kingdom view) for 7 nights. Through a twist of fate, I also have a Wilderness Cabin booked, for 8 nights. (and about $600 less). The family consists of me, my dear wife (DW), my Dear Son of 9 (DS 9), my Dear Daughter 5 (DD 5) and my Dear Daughter 1 (DD 1).

I can't decide which would be the better trip for my family. I have always wanted to stay at the Contemporary, what with the monorail, and the closeness to Magic Kingdom. Wilderness Cabins, on the other hand, will definitely be quieter, and in some ways, less stressful, since we won't have to contain the rambunctious behaviour of our over-excited kids as much. (No neighbours below, or above.)

DS 9 would prefer the CR, because of the monorail. DD 5 would prefer the Cabins, because of the proximity to animals. DW is staying neutral (drat her!).

Transportation is also an issue -- but we are driving down from Canada, so we can avoid the buses either way. Napping was a thought, but the parks aren't open that late when we are going (Last week of November, First week of December) so I am not sure it will really be necessary.

Any suggestions?

Since you are driving down, you will be fine at the cabins. When I stayed there, I found it very time consuming to get around by Disney transport, and we found that we used our car a lot.

The cabins are very secluded and quiet. You'll also get a nice kitchen, so that will save you some money on food if you go even just have breakfast in most days.

The Contemporary is a great resort as well, and it's nice to be able to walk to the Magic Kingdom, and hop the monorail over to Epcot.

Oh, that's a really tough decision. A definite plus with the cabins, is that you have the separate bedroom. If the little ones are in bed early, you can still be up in the living room, watching TV or fixing a snack in your own kitchen. Gaining a full day and spending less money, is also a big bonus in my book. On the other hand, you can't beat the view and location of the CR. Personally, I think what would sway my decision is having that full extra day.

If you are going to spend a lot of time at the parks, it won't really matter either way. CR feels more like it's in the center of the action and FW feels more laid back and secluded. Since they tore down the playground outside the north wing of the CR and I haven't heard of another one put in elsewhere yet, there might be more opportunities for burning off the extra energy at FW. CR would give you super easy access to MK, but if you plan to divide your park time up, FW is fine there too. At FW, you will have a full kitchen, so you can fix the kids snacks whenever you want, and even save money on meals.

I would base it strictly on whether you want a hotel feel or more of a home feel. I like them both, at different times, and for different reasons. You can't make a bad choice really.

And FW has the pony rides and the Chip and Dale Campfire program!!!

Although you'll have your own car, it won't be nearly as convenient to get to MK from FW. You'll either have to drive over and park at the TTC or use the bus/boat transportation provided at FW. From the CR you can either walk or use the monorail. I stayed at CR when my kids were 3 & 6 & loved the ability to "sneak" back to the room at mid-day for quick break - just walked - no need to wake sleeping kids & fold up stroller to put on a bus or in car seat. Although the trip is longer, same holds true for going to/from Epcot on monorail.

Although I have to say a Park View room at the CR is probably my favorite place in the world I might be tempted to go with the cabins if I was you... with young children having a room to put them to bed and still be able to stay up and talk, etc is really nice, not to mention the kitchen. Since you have a car transportation will not be a problem. Also if codes or discounts come out for the dates of your stay (which is pretty likely during your dates) you would be a lot more likely to get a discount at Ft Wilderness. (so with any luck that $600 difference might turn out to be $900+!!) Swimming probably won't be a huge deal at that time of year either.

The kids will love being able to run and play at Ft Wilderness...and you can ride the monorail anytime you like...just take the boat over to the CR and ride away!!

Renting a golf cart at Ft Wilderness provides almost as much entertainment as a day in the parks!! It is a LOT of fun driving around over there!

Another bennefit at FW is the ability to park right in front of your cabin, so no driving around looking for a space. If you drive to the parks, it is much easier to bring a sleeping kid home in your car to the cabin than it would be to get them back into a hotel room.

We've done the cabins and loved it. Great having that separate bedroom, the calmness and feeling like you're "getting away from it all" when you leave the parks.

That said...we've booked the Contemporary for our upcoming trip. I've always wanted to stay there. We're in a garden room to save $, but I probably would jump on the MK view if it wasn't so gosh darn expensive!

When we stayed at Wilderness Cabins, we thought that a golf cart was an absolute necessity for getting around within the resort. They are about $50 per day, I believe, so if you rent one that's an additional $400. We've stayed at both the cabins and the CR (garden wing room). We weren't crazy about the cabins and loved the CR. The cabins are a long ways from the animals, the Trail's End cafeteria, the pizza takeout place, etc. You either have to take a bus or your golf cart to get to those places. With CR, you can hop on the monorail or, even better, walk to MK! With little ones, I'd pick CR for the sheer convenience. The rooms are quite large and comfortable and you have a balcony (or patio in the garden wings first floor). While the cabins provide more privacy, we thought they were no more convenient, frankly, than staying off-site. By contrast, CR is right in the middle of the MK action, which is where you'll likely spend most of your time.

I am going to second what ElizabethB wrote. For the sheer convenience, you want the Contemporary. And even though the parks won't be open late, you will still want the little one to take a nap.

Have a great trip!:yay:

Thank you to everyone who posted, your opinions were appreciated. While I still haven't fully decided (read: haven't cancelled anything), I am leaning very strongly toward the cabins. I can't help feeling that an extra day tops the other considerations, but not by much. The extra spending cash helps, of course.

But I really wanted to stay at the Contemporary!

We've not stayed at the cabins but I would definitely consider it for the space and the location - very quiet and peaceful; room for the kids to run around; and some nature to offset all the Disney "magic." Plus, mom and dad get some space - sorry, but I would rather have space than cram 3 kids plus mom and dad into one room at CR. A friend of mine stayed there recently and they loved it - the campfire, etc. Plus, you can see the boat parade from the beach and as others have said, take the boat to CR to ride the monorail. The worst part about FW is the bus transportation but if you have a car and don't mind driving to the parks other than MK, you'll be fine. But, renting a golf cart is a good idea (and the kids will love it) so it will cut into your savings a bit. Bring some groceries or stop on the way - I love being able to eat b'fast in my own place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter