Considering Dining Plan but We Don't Eat Dessert. Options?

okduke

Mouseketeer
We are considering adding the Dining Plan for our June trip. Since we do not eat desserts, it seems that it would not be worth it. I noticed, however, that the DDP flyer mentions that substitutions may be available at some locations. I'd appreciate any insight that you might be able to provide as to what that means. Can we order something other than a desert? Maybe an appetizer instead? Thanks!

Typically you cannot substitute for an appetizer, but some places will allow a swap for an extra side.

This is one reason we don't do the dining plan. I don't like being told ahead of time what I can and cannot order.

Since we do not eat desserts, it seems that it would not be worth it. I noticed, however, that the DDP flyer mentions that substitutions may be available at some locations

That "may be" is your clue. This substitution is totally up to each restaurant, and can change day by day, depending on what they have or don't have on hand. The only substitutions we've seen reported are a small salad, a small cup of soup, and someone got a side of green beans.

If you know you won't eat the desserts, I don't see how it can be financially of value to you. Remember, you also get two snacks per night. There are savory snacks, and you could use those for breakfast, but non-sweet snacks are definitely much fewer than the sweet ones.

I will recommend that you don't buy the dining plan. I, too, have considered it, but it doesn't match how we like to order at restaurants (DS mixes and matches from kids and adults menu, I like to order two apps, DH doesn't order dessert). If it doesn't match how you like to eat, it's a waste of money IMHO.

This is one reason we don't do the dining plan. I don't like being told ahead of time what I can and cannot order.

Yep! Aside from the fact that we just don't eat enough to make a dining plan worth it for us, being told what we can and cannot eat, or that we have to pay an upcharge for certain items is not something I enjoy.

We did the dining plan once many years ago and it was a mistake from the get go. My son often didn't like what was on the kid's menus and we weren't going to force him to eat something he didn't want when there were options he DID like on the adult menu. So we ended up paying out of pocket at TS restaurants so he could order something he would like on the "adult" menu. Then we ended up having several CS credits left over because we were often too full from a previous TS restaurant to eat another individual meal so we shared one instead or just got a snack. I remember that we had a ridiculous amount of snack credits left over at the end of the trip because we aren't big snackers.

But I agree with the PP. To me having "rules" around food is strange at any time, especially on vacation when you want to be able to eat whatever you want.

The dining plan is not designed to save money although it's possible. It would be even more difficult to save money by skipping desserts. As others have mentions, just skip buying the plan and pay out of pocket.

I'll volunteer to take one for the team, follow you around and eat all your desserts

I second!!

We are not dessert eaters but we enjoyed it - it is vacation after all! That's a great time to do things you don't normally do......

The substitution mentioned in the DDP brochure is at the discretion of the restaurant. Some TS restaurants may offer a substitute item, but it will be an item of their choosing - most often a small side salad or cup of soup. It will not be an appetizer.

I suppose if you were booking mainly character buffets or other buffets you could choose to fill up on whatever portions you want. So if your itinerary for your TS meals consisted of those only, you should just do the math on it. By no dessert, does that mean at all? Or do you want to box up that cupcake for later? Or take your milkshake in a to go cup?
The only way anyone really knows if its worth it to you is for You to look at menus and restaurants and see what it is you want to do and where you want to eat and take a look at menus to see an idea of what people may order and the costs.
Research is key here and in any plans Disney.

My mom doesn't eat dessert and when we brought her with us a few years ago, many restaurants offered a fresh fruit bowl.

We are considering adding the Dining Plan for our June trip. Since we do not eat desserts, it seems that it would not be worth it. I noticed, however, that the DDP flyer mentions that substitutions may be available at some locations. I'd appreciate any insight that you might be able to provide as to what that means. Can we order something other than a desert? Maybe an appetizer instead? Thanks!
When we went in February, most restaurants allowed us to substitute dessert for a salad or soup. The only one that did not was Via Napoli.

On the whole, I'd say that if you don't want to eat the way the plan is designed for you to eat, then you're better off not using the plan. Economics aside, it doesn't sound convenient or practical, negating the non-monetary advantages of using a dining plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter