Concerned about theme park pricing

It wasn't "necessary"--some people DO put themselves into massive debt to do Disney. It would be naive to think otherwise.

But no one said everyone does.

Pre-cooking frozen meals and living in a 20 year old camper isn't my idea of a vacation, for example. But does my sharing that personal data point actually add anything to the conversation?

I don't see the value in Disney at their current price points, massive crowd levels, and declining food/service/park upkeep quality. Jusf had a great three day trip to UO, though.

But...Universal is the same stuff in a different package. Same crowds, same heat, same crazy high food prices, long lines, etc. I never get why people have to add this on to a post, it's still just a theme park like Disney is.

But...Universal is the same stuff in a different package. Same crowds, same heat, same crazy high food prices, long lines, etc. I never get why people have to add this on to a post, it's still just a theme park like Disney is.

That costs the same. I understood the argument when UO was cheaper but now it costs the exact same. That is before you start adding express pass.

Well it's February and the crowds were quite calm and the weather was gorgeous. I paid $319/night at one of the on site premiums (club level) within *walking distance* to both parks, and walked onto most rides in 5-10 minutes with the *included* Express pass. Food quality was great and less insanely priced than WDW. (Really, look at some menu pricing.)

I paid $285/pp for seasonal annual passes.

UO is the main competitor and comparisons are relevant. Folks who are sure WDW is superior have no cause for concern. If statements like mine cause some people to check out UO, that just means thinner crowds for you. :)

Well it's February and the crowds were quite calm and the weather was gorgeous. I paid $319/night at one of the on site premiums (club level) within *walking distance* to both parks, and walked onto most rides in 5-10 minutes with the *included* Express pass. Food quality was great and less insanely priced than WDW. (Really, look at some menu pricing.)

I paid $285/pp for seasonal annual passes.

UO is the main competitor and comparisons are relevant. Folks who are sure WDW is superior have no cause for concern. If statements like mine cause some people to check out UO, that just means thinner crowds for you. :)
Perditax has a point. I too purchased a UO annual pass. Mine came in at less than $285 because I was able to price bridge. We got a great rate at the Hard Rock (under 200) with an AP rate. I will use the pass again for two days in January 2018 when we go with friends. Now that my gold pass is up to $595.34 per year and I'm not buying it, I will Uber it over to Universal (first Uber is free) for a day or two. I'll use my AP for food discounts on their already well priced City Walk restaurants. It's not Disney but it will provide an affordable diversion during my no parks trip in October.

Their pricing is changing the way we vacation. My UO Pass became beneficial after four days. That doesn't even account for the discounts on food and lodging.

I used to break even at about seven days with a Disney AP. It's over ten now.

Some people price themselves out of their Disney vacation. I had a co-worker, single Mom, good job but entry level. She would talk to me constantly about taking her daughter to Disney. I am a travel agent and somewhat of an expert on going cheap. I offered numerous times to help her price out her trip so she could budget and know how much she had to save.

She will NEVER make it to Disney. She insists that her daughter will do BBB (why? if she doesn't know about it, she won't know what she is missing), she HAD to do the dining plan since it was a once in a lifetime trip and she wanted to do it right. She wanted to stay in a moderate. Well, she will likely never save enough for the once in a lifetime trip. Meanwhile, since she and I first began talking about it, I have been about seven or more times.

Okay, I have been to the Universal parks. And I enjoyed them, but at the moment they're also too expensive to do as well as Disney. Do enjoy HP Land for me.

$480 doesn't really tell the whole story for your 5 day trip.
It's silly to say that.

MG

It certainly does, I kept a very careful account of expenses as this was a "challenge" trip for us to see how inexpensively we could do it and have a great time. As stated, I didn't include the cost of groceries because we would eat the same if we were home. We spent a week at POP in December, and our total was much higher because we ate all meals at the parks.

On this trip, we bought only two quick service meals at the park, both of which DH and I split.

We are lifelong campers and enjoy camping. We have spent many years tent camping, and our current camper is quite luxurious in comparison. Although, we did little more than sleep and eat there during our Disney trip. I realize not everyone owns a camper, but there were lots of tent campers at the Fort and it was beautiful weather.

But since this conversation was started over ticket prices, those are better than ever as far as options go. We got the weekly annual passes last year for the first time, and it is literally half the price of what we were paying for our passes prior. They have already paid for themselves, and then some, by the time this trip was taken.

It's true that we have the advantage of living just 2.5 hours away from Disney, and get FL resident and passholder discounts. But, may I ask you what you think I left out of the equation?

Ticket prices. Weekday annuals are cheap, but not that cheap. You can't price them just for the month you visit. Even if you went 12 times a year there's also a deposit. You need to absorb that. Also a portion of the camper price, gas to travel, and so forth.

MG

This thread is not toxic by any means. I could find nothing toxic at all. :confused3 And this makes no sense.

Agree. You were pointing out how you, a fairly fixed income family, are still able to enjoy Disney by adjusting how you do Disney via lodging and food. I also was making the point on my post that there are plenty of ways to save money on lodging and food (ie: camping or offsite discounted rental, packing food, eating in lodging) but no one pounced on me. Not sure why you were??? But your post was an important contribution because it offered a counter view (and solution) of the cost of Disney ... and not needing a loan (as OP said their son would need) in order to go.

THIS. Disney is an optional luxury vacation, not a right of passage.

The complaining about the cost is (to me) is like complaining some people drive a Mercedes but you have to drive a Kia, or that some folks have a bedroom for each kid but yours have to share ............. it goes on and on. We all live different in every aspect of our lives, vacations included.

Thank you for the support. I honestly don't understand the anger. The way we chose to do our trip this time is certainly personal choice. Obviously, it is not for everyone. However, judging by the number of tent campers with children there cooking at their sites, other families opt to forego the luxuries to take their family on a debt-free vacation as well.

We haven't always lived in FL, and haven't always been in a position to visit Disney at all. I would gladly turn back the clock 30 years to be in that place again. Disney isn't life. Life is fleeting.

Ticket prices. Weekday annuals are cheap, but not that cheap. You can't price them just for the month you visit. Even if you went 12 times a year there's also a deposit. You need to absorb that. Also a portion of the camper price, gas to travel, and so forth.

MG

I've already addressed the gas cost in an earlier post. With the total cost (including deposit) of of passes, this would have added $5.07 for each of to the trip.

The camper was not purchased for Disney. We camp regularly. I'm certainly not including the cost of it in this trip.

You are completely out of line, demanding what I add as trip expenses..... especially things that are not. Go handle your own finances. I'm doing great handling mine.

I've already addressed the gas cost in an earlier post. With the total cost (including deposit) of of passes, this would have added $5.07 for each of to the trip.

The camper was not purchased for Disney. We camp regularly. I'm certainly not including the cost of it in this trip.

You are completely out of line, demanding what I add as trip expenses..... especially things that are not. Go handle your own finances. I'm doing great handling mine.
Whatever... but telling people they can do a family week at Disney for $400 is, well, bologna

MG

We buy annual passes and on last pass, I visited 22 days so my per day park admission was $34. Times 3 people is $100 per day. I stay at Pop Century and have stayed for as little as $89 per night and as much as $130 per night. I bring my own groceries and my generous estimate is $15 per day for both breakfast and lunch. A pizza from the food court is $18.

If we stick to our strict budget we can do Disney for a family of 3 (1A,2C) for between $222 and $263 per day. When we don't stick to the strict budget, add another $10 for a sodas in the park and maybe another $30 to upgrade our pizza to counter service meals.

Now, when we bring Hubby, the budget is always blown. He lets the kids get extra sodas, snacks and we tend to do more CS meals than pizza.

I tell my clients that a family of four will typically spend $3,000 a week on a Disney vacation in a value resort during slow season (including food) and that they should start their budget from there. I also tell them that they can spend $25,000 for a week if they choose but I have not had anyone take me up on that trip yet.

We buy annual passes and on last pass, I visited 22 days so my per day park admission was $34. Times 3 people is $100 per day. I stay at Pop Century and have stayed for as little as $89 per night and as much as $130 per night. I bring my own groceries and my generous estimate is $15 per day for both breakfast and lunch. A pizza from the food court is $18.

If we stick to our strict budget we can do Disney for a family of 3 (1A,2C) for between $222 and $263 per day. When we don't stick to the strict budget, add another $10 for a sodas in the park and maybe another $30 to upgrade our pizza to counter service meals.

Now, when we bring Hubby, the budget is always blown. He lets the kids get extra sodas, snacks and we tend to do more CS meals than pizza.

I tell my clients that a family of four will typically spend $3,000 a week on a Disney vacation in a value resort during slow season (including food) and that they should start their budget from there. I also tell them that they can spend $25,000 for a week if they choose but I have not had anyone take me up on that trip yet.

Not everyone can visit the parks 22 days per year to bring down their daily cost.

Not everyone can visit the parks 22 days per year to bring down their daily cost.

True Dat. I was just trying to cite an extreme case where it still ends up being over $1,500 for a week even with all of my cost cutting. I bring a 50 pound suitcase with nothing but food (bags fly free on SW!!!), drink ice water in the parks, buy no snacks or souvenirs and I am not even close to keeping it to the $400 claimed by a previous poster. I know that is not the norm and I know that I am blessed to be able to do it.

Of course not everyone can but it is well known the longer you stay and go the less your per person daily rate is. The 10 day tickets are a lot as a whole but bring your per day price down signifcantly. At 1 day you pay at minimum 107 a day at the MK. Go for 2 days and it is magically only 99 a day saving your 14 dollars per a day on theme park tickets. The average family stays for about 4 to 5 days so using those figures their per day price per a park will start at 87.50 or 74 depending on the length. Of course it will cost more as a whole but the per day cost cost down. I can't tell you how many people I have spoke with who wrongfully assume MK would cost them $107 a day if they went for 10 days which is $1070 dollars even though a 10 day ticket actually costs $440 heck if that was the actual 10 cost was 1K I'm pretty sure you could get a coast to coast AP still.

Nor does everyone want to eat food court pizza every night.

I get wanting to save money on vacation, but I personally refuse to do it at the expense of eating terrible food just to save a few dollars. I'd rather go less, and eat better, sleep better, and enjoy quality time over quantity.

It was necessary to defend against the statement that people were "mortgaging their lives" only. And, I don't cook during vacation, I pre-cook and freeze all of our meals prior to leaving home.

I won't respond to any further comments from you, have a great evening. :rainbow:

I honestly hope my post helps others who wish to do Disney on a small budget.
I wasn't offended by your post, and didn't see it as toxic. People have different budgets. If there are ways to cut out some expenses, it may help other people figure out how to do that. Buying drinks at dinner, adds up quickly with a large family. We do dry cereal and fruit in the morning, that we bring. We make almond butter and jelly sandwiches at lunch to bring to the parks. Then we splurge at dinner time, and eat at many of the resorts. Also, what we bring is healthier than the food they have in the parks, so this is a win/win. I know it's a treat to stay onsite, and we always do, but in a budget resort, which in my opinion is just as nice. We stayed at Polynesian last year, as a special treat since we had never stayed anywhere but in a budget resort....it was highly overrated in my opinion...and for the amount of time we spent there, really not worth the extra expense. But...my nephew and his family...whose income is very modest....he found a nice condo a mile from Disney and it will only cost a family of eight $ 900.00 for the week, and it is very nice. That is another way to save and still enjoy everything Disney has to offer. All that being said, I'm sure there are other ideas out there as well. I love Disney, and will continue to figure out ways to afford a fun vacation. I think all of us today, unless you are especially well off, have to figure out how to budget our money.

Looks like somebody (MG) cut a little close to the bone. >:(

MG

Also, most of the nation would not be eligible for the cheap weekday pass. Most of us have to pay regular prices, or close to regular prices, for our tickets and APs. So that would not be a valid price point for most families, even if they could drive there pulling a camper for $20 gas (not likely, but whatever), pre-cook all their meals, and spend absolutely nothing in park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter