Colonoscopy

Im in my mid 40s and have had Crohn's since my early 20s so Ive had a colonoscopy or ten! LOL A hard no on being able to for sure drive that night. Have you regularly had anesthesia? If so and you know how you react to various ones that will likely be the biggest factor in feeling up to doing something the next day. Ive had anesthesia that's knocked me on my butt for a day and a half and some where I was fine a half hour after waking. As far as having issues from the procedure itself, I wouldnt expect that to bother you a day later. Ive had many samples taken during some of my colonoscopies and other than some mild spotting there has been no issue (like with eating or pain).

I had an IVF cycle with twilight sedation. The nurse had to keep reminding me to breathe deep when I was waking up, but after about 30 minutes I was fine. I wasn’t really worried about the colonoscopy before I posted. Now I’m a little concerned. I assumed it was done under twilight sedation and I’d feel fine after the procedure. I obviously failed to ask some key questions during my intake interview.

Your stomach will never be flatter! I hate it but need to schedule another one at some point. Given modern science I don’t understand why they can’t figure out a pill instead of that horrible liquid. My first one I had to fly home the night before from a business trip so I did eat during the day a little and couldn’t start drinking that crap until 930 pm. Needless to say, I was up all night. And slept in a chair most of the next day after I got home from the procedure.

Your stomach will never be flatter! I hate it but need to schedule another one at some point. Given modern science I don’t understand why they can’t figure out a pill instead of that horrible liquid. My first one I had to fly home the night before from a business trip so I did eat during the day a little and couldn’t start drinking that crap until 930 pm. Needless to say, I was up all night. And slept in a chair most of the next day after I got home from the procedure.
I have my first one coming up on 12/2. I already have the prep since they called it in to the pharmacy when I scheduled the appointment. The prep is pills called Sutab. You take a whole bunch of them with certain amounts of water at certain times. No yuck liquid!

Had my first one at 51....doctor ordered it at my 50th checkup but I dithered. That first one had 8 polyps so I now have them every 2-3 years and have had 75-80 polyps removed. None cancerous but about half the type that could become cancerous.

I HATE the prep but as someone mentioned, have learned to eat soft and light for several days before and because I always have so many cut out, I've learned to eat soft and light for several days after to let things heal.

My kid's will start at age 40 which they (mid-30s) are thrilled about.

I had an IVF cycle with twilight sedation. The nurse had to keep reminding me to breathe deep when I was waking up, but after about 30 minutes I was fine. I wasn’t really worried about the colonoscopy before I posted. Now I’m a little concerned. I assumed it was done under twilight sedation and I’d feel fine after the procedure. I obviously failed to ask some key questions during my intake interview.

Please dont worry extra, it really isnt that big of a deal. The big take away is that everyone can have different experiences, even the same person can have different experiences. Ive had no sedation, twilight and heavier sedations hence my range of experiences. Ive been in a flare for the last 3 years so having them about every 6 months. Right now the sedation of choice here seems to be propofol.

The best prep I ever did was ex lax, miralax and water. I hate Gatorade which is what my current doctor has me mix the miralax with. I do cheat and water down the gatorade to half strength. And I have to chug a bottle of mag citrate.

I have my first one coming up on 12/2. I already have the prep since they called it in to the pharmacy when I scheduled the appointment. The prep is pills called Sutab. You take a whole bunch of them with certain amounts of water at certain times. No yuck liquid!

Intriguing!

I'm scheduled for a Colonoscopy the end of January. The lady scheduling me ask if I wanted pills or liquid prep. Had no clue on the pills but am going that way. I would appreciate anyone's opinions on that kind of prep. :)

I'm scheduled for a Colonoscopy the end of January. The lady scheduling me ask if I wanted pills or liquid prep. Had no clue on the pills but am going that way. I would appreciate anyone's opinions on that kind of prep. :)
I was given Plenvu (didn't realize there was a choice...none was mentioned to me), and not to be overly dramatic, but I will not survive that type of prep again. The initial flavour of the drink (16 oz. once in the evening and once in the morning for an afternoon appointment) was INTENSE SALTY. Once you had gulped that swig down though, the aftertaste was CLOYING SWEETNESS from aspartame. Trust me when I say it is many sips to the bottom of each dose and this is not something you could chug even if you wanted to. (I briefly tried and can usually power through stuff like this.) I got through the evening dose, but faced with doing the same thing the next morning, my body was rebelling. It took every ounce of my being to keep that stuff down long enough for it to work, in fact, my new "induce vomit response" thought is the taste of that intense salt/sweet combo.

But that wasn't the worst of it for me...THE CHILLS...OH MY GOODNESS THE CHILLS...that started within about 5 or 10 minutes of starting to drink it and didn't fully subside until midway the day after the procedure. I had SO MANY blankets on my side of the bed, just to keep warm. When I got to the hospital and hopped into the bed, the nurse brought over a blanket from the warmer and I told her that it was the first time I had been warm since starting the prep. When they woke me up right after the procedure, I was shaking uncontrollably. The same nurse said, "Are you cold?" but never went and got me another warm blanket, because at that point, they are just looking to get you out the door.

That was for my first procedure. You had better believe that I will be asking for something different when I go back next time, and if pills are an option, I'm getting on board that train. It would be hard-pressed to be worse than what I had the first time.

I was given Plenvu (didn't realize there was a choice...none was mentioned to me), and not to be overly dramatic, but I will not survive that type of prep again. The initial flavour of the drink (16 oz. once in the evening and once in the morning for an afternoon appointment) was INTENSE SALTY. Once you had gulped that swig down though, the aftertaste was CLOYING SWEETNESS from aspartame. Trust me when I say it is many sips to the bottom of each dose and this is not something you could chug even if you wanted to. (I briefly tried and can usually power through stuff like this.) I got through the evening dose, but faced with doing the same thing the next morning, my body was rebelling. It took every ounce of my being to keep that stuff down long enough for it to work, in fact, my new "induce vomit response" thought is the taste of that intense salt/sweet combo.

But that wasn't the worst of it for me...THE CHILLS...OH MY GOODNESS THE CHILLS...that started within about 5 or 10 minutes of starting to drink it and didn't fully subside until midway the day after the procedure. I had SO MANY blankets on my side of the bed, just to keep warm. When I got to the hospital and hopped into the bed, the nurse brought over a blanket from the warmer and I told her that it was the first time I had been warm since starting the prep. When they woke me up right after the procedure, I was shaking uncontrollably. The same nurse said, "Are you cold?" but never went and got me another warm blanket, because at that point, they are just looking to get you out the door.

That was for my first procedure. You had better believe that I will be asking for something different when I go back next time, and if pills are an option, I'm getting on board that train. It would be hard-pressed to be worse than what I had the first time.

I did liquid prep years and years ago but didn't have what you experienced. Wow! I feel for you, especially getting chilled like that. That would have been horrid!

I'll let you know how the pills go!

I had my first colonoscopy 5 years ago using the liquid prep and then just 2 months ago for my 2nd (I was on the 5 year callback plan). They gave me the option for the pills, but since the liquid prep did its job and it didn't bother me much, I decided to do the liquid. I knew it worked and my (probably irrational) fear was that if the pills didn't work as well for me, I'd have to reschedule or something. I just chug the prep holding my nose and it's not terrible to me.

I do have a friend who has had pre-cancerous polyps and actually had surgery to address (Dr said due to location he couldn't get all of it via colonoscopy) and she's on a 18-24 month frequency. We recently compared notes and she MUCH prefers the pill prep. Since she's "very experienced" I certainly trust her opinion.

I had my first colonoscopy 5 years ago using the liquid prep and then just 2 months ago for my 2nd (I was on the 5 year callback plan). They gave me the option for the pills, but since the liquid prep did its job and it didn't bother me much, I decided to do the liquid. I knew it worked and my (probably irrational) fear was that if the pills didn't work as well for me, I'd have to reschedule or something. I just chug the prep holding my nose and it's not terrible to me.

I do have a friend who has had pre-cancerous polyps and actually had surgery to address (Dr said due to location he couldn't get all of it via colonoscopy) and she's on a 18-24 month frequency. We recently compared notes and she MUCH prefers the pill prep. Since she's "very experienced" I certainly trust her opinion.

Thank you for your reply. :thumbsup2

Did you have the liquid very cold? They usually tell you to do that because it helps close off the taste some. I actually put mine in the freezer until it just starts to slushie up. Thanks for that reminder to the OP to make sure her home is warm and to have many blankets around.

You can get a prescription for an anti nausea medicine, Zofran I think. Its better to get ahead with the anti nausea meds then to get sick or on the brink and then take it. So if someone is prone to being sick, especially with that salty sweet mix you describe, they may want to ask for and fill a RX for Zofran if they must do a liquid prep.

Did you have the liquid very cold? They usually tell you to do that because it helps close off the taste some. I actually put mine in the freezer until it just starts to slushie up. Thanks for that reminder to the OP to make sure her home is warm and to have many blankets around.

You can get a prescription for an anti nausea medicine, Zofran I think. Its better to get ahead with the anti nausea meds then to get sick or on the brink and then take it. So if someone is prone to being sick, especially with that salty sweet mix you describe, they may want to ask for and fill a RX for Zofran if they must do a liquid prep.
I would say my mix was fairly cold...not to slushy consistency, but not tepid from the tap either. I am not sure what I reacted to that gave me the chills. When I mentioned it to the nurse at the time, she said, "Yeah, I have heard others mention they get chills too," so while it may not be everyone, I know it wasn't just me. I had fleece pajamas on and was under a flannel sheet, a winter down duvet, a weighted blanket, and a Sherpa velour/fleece blanket and I felt like I was barely keeping warm.

My stomach/reactions are not usually that intense to something, as far as taste goes. If liquid was the only option for me the next time, I would definitely ask for something for nausea. It was the worst trying to keep it down and not bring it up. I can only imagine how much more horrible that stuff would be coming back up, plus I didn't want to go through all of the prep for nothing if I couldn't finish it off. Ginger ale did help somewhat with that. I would suggest people have a bit on hand just in case.

I would say my mix was fairly cold...not to slushy consistency, but not tepid from the tap either. I am not sure what I reacted to that gave me the chills. When I mentioned it to the nurse at the time, she said, "Yeah, I have heard others mention they get chills too," so while it may not be everyone, I know it wasn't just me. I had fleece pajamas on and was under a flannel sheet, a winter down duvet, a weighted blanket, and a Sherpa velour/fleece blanket and I felt like I was barely keeping warm.

If you are doing the prep per instructions you are putting a lot of cold liquids into your body at once so it makes sense most people will get cold from that. While it makes sense if you stop and think about it, that's something they almost never warn you about so thanks for the reminder.

If you are doing the prep per instructions you are putting a lot of cold liquids into your body at once so it makes sense most people will get cold from that. While it makes sense if you stop and think about it, that's something they almost never warn you about so thanks for the reminder.
While that is true (and something I had considered), I typically drink lots of cold fluids (approx. four or five 32oz. bottles of ice water) all day long, with no ill effects. The fact that the chills began within five to ten minutes of me starting to drink the prep and continued well past when the actual procedure was completed (at least 24 hours after), including my extreme visible shaking/shivering immediately after waking when in recovery, tells me it was likely due to something else. While this likely doesn't happen to everyone, it is something to note as a potential uncomfortable side effect of the liquid that I was given, and for that reason, I would be willing to give pills a try if those are an option the next time.

i had plenvu too - the doc said he felt it was better tolerated than some of the others - even for him personally, that's the prep he chose. He was honest from the start that my insurance didn't cover that particular one like the others.

I paid a LOT for that prep. It was still horrible. Terrible to get the darn stuff down. Yet my spouse - who also chose plenvu - was "pleasantly surprised" and didn't think it was that bad at all. So there ya go.

I read a bunch of reviews on diff brand preps before buying and it's all over the map...some call one a nightmare, while others say that same one's pretty decent. Maybe it varies by individual - their personal taste, system, tolerance level?

I had made sure to ask my doc for an anti-nausea RX along with the prep RX and took it just prior to starting the prep, so that probably helped keep it down.

The colonoscopy itself was a breeze! Next time, I won't spring the extra $$$ for this prep though - wasn't worth it.

Last edited:
Is there anybody out there who is, "Yay!!! I'm finally old enough to schedule my first colonoscopy!!! I've waited half my life for this moment!" :rotfl2:
yeah...not exactly like finally hitting the birthday that lets you get your driver's license. Although I guess that's no longer a major milestone for today's generation, from what I hear.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter