Club Wyndham and the timeshare spiel

TomorrowlandKD

Nowwwww approaching...
Hi guys,

I'm getting really excited for my trip in a few weeks to Club Wyndham. We got a 2-bedroom room for all the extra space. My wife and I can't wait! First time staying at the resort....

However, I've been reading a lot of people mentioning that you forced to listen to a timeshare dialogue upon check in and then given attitude when you don't show any interest in it? That's really disheartening. Is there a way to avoid front desk check in? Any advice to avoid that awfulness? I'd hate to start the trip out on a bad note.

Thanks in advance!

Hi guys,

I'm getting really excited for my trip in a few weeks to Club Wyndham. We got a 2-bedroom room for all the extra space. My wife and I can't wait! First time staying at the resort....

However, I've been reading a lot of people mentioning that you forced to listen to a timeshare dialogue upon check in and then given attitude when you don't show any interest in it? That's really disheartening. Is there a way to avoid front desk check in? Any advice to avoid that awfulness? I'd hate to start the trip out on a bad note.

Thanks in advance!

How did you book? Not everyone is required to do it. Look at your paperwork conditions.

I booked it through hotels.com

Through a third party I don't think you are required to participate. I have stayed many times booking through a third party. You have to go to the desk to check-in, then they would send you to another desk for your parking pass. It is those folks who will ask you if you would like to have a tour. YOU SAY NO. I found one way to stop them in their tracks is if DH is with me I have him stay in the car. They always ask if I am married, I say yes but my DH is not on the trip with me, just my son (who I'll take inside). They immediately stop because by "law" they can not do a timeshare presentation to only one of a married couple. Honestly I've never had a bad experience because I am clear up front I am not interested, end of conversation. When I get to the room I unplug the phone in case they call. Desk has my cell if they need it.

You don't have to go to a presentation and I don't recommend going.
They will invite you and offer you some incentives, but you can just say no. The incentives are not worth your time.
You may have to say no a couple of times -- they don't give up immediately -- but that's all.
These people get paid to sit there all day and try to get someone to say yes. They are used to rejection. It's not a big deal. After you get past the rejection part, I've found these people are quite nice. They have given balloons to my kids several times.
I have been going to timeshare resorts for decades, so I have a lot of experience saying no. People don't get pitched in person very much anymore, so I think it makes them a bit uneasy. It's also easy to build this up like it's some ordeal. It doesn't have to be.
Just be thankful you know in advance to say no. Many people end up stuck in a 3-hour presentation and end up making a costly mistake.

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance!
If you are staying at Bonnett Creek you will love the room and resort. I own Wyndham and DVC. The rooms are actually nicer at Bonnett Creek but you don't get the Disney Transportation. On the otherhand if you have an annual pass you get free parking at the parks so it doesn't matter. Driving to Epcot, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom is easy. But Magic Kingdom is a pain. I would suggest Uber or Lyft for that and if possible book an early breakfast at the Contemporary and walk to MK.

As for the sales pitch, Bonnet Creek is not aggressive and lets the resort sell itself. It is actually a much better deal than DVC, and if I hadn't purchased DVC before Wyndham, I would not have purchased DVC.

I've been reading a lot of people mentioning that you forced to listen to a timeshare dialogue upon check in and then given attitude when you don't show any interest in it? That's really disheartening. Is there a way to avoid front desk check in? Any advice to avoid that awfulness? I'd hate to start the trip out on a bad note.

Just say no over and over when asked to sign up for a presentation. Choose one or more: nope, not interested, I don't have time, I'm meeting my friend every morning at 6 a.m. to get started on our park day, I filed for bankruptcy last week, this is our last vacation before we file for divorce next week, we let our last timeshare go into foreclosure.

If you can do it with a straight face, just borrow what my husband always says while standing next to me: so you're saying my wife needs to attend? That's not possible because this isn't my wife, this is my hot girlfriend! 😜

Whenever someone asks me if I'd like to do the tour or a timeshare presentation, I just in a very friendly voice say, No thanks. I'd rather have a root canal." That gives them the message and a laugh and they don't ask me again or try to convince me.

Just say no over and over when asked to sign up for a presentation. Choose one or more: nope, not interested, I don't have time, I'm meeting my friend every morning at 6 a.m. to get started on our park day, I filed for bankruptcy last week, this is our last vacation before we file for divorce next week, we let our last timeshare go into foreclosure.

If you can do it with a straight face, just borrow what my husband always says while standing next to me: so you're saying my wife needs to attend? That's not possible because this isn't my wife, this is my hot girlfriend! 😜
-Or-
That's not possible. My wife/husband thinks I'm at a work conference. :laughing:

In particular, at Wyndham Bonnet Creek, the "events/concierge" desk is where they try to get you to sign up for a timeshare tour. You will be forced to stop there for your wristbands that are supposed to be needed for the pool. Get your wristbands and be in a hurry ;) They'll try to ask a few unassuming questions to gather info on your travelling party, for us they were trying to determine if we had all of our decision makers available (I was travelling without my husband). Just be polite and don't give them more info then they need to issue wristbands.

Whenever someone asks me if I'd like to do the tour or a timeshare presentation, I just in a very friendly voice say, No thanks. I'd rather have a root canal." That gives them the message and a laugh and they don't ask me again or try to convince me.
We went in March of this year. My exact response was "you expect me to have the money to buy a timeshare in THIS economy" - he shut up real fast!

The people at the desk have always been nice and accepted no from me. Yeah, while they are doing the wristbands they try a few angles but nothing too pushy. They are quite a bit more pushy when they call, so don't answer you phone ;). I've only ever had them call once per trip, usually when I've skipped the desk.

Also, the best way to avoid the hard sell is just say No without reason (or tell them your spouse isn't there). If you ever give someone a reason why you are saying no, it lets them try to spin it.

No you dont have to attend a presentation If booked thru hotels.com. But you will be offered an incentive to attend one. Don't get roped in. Just say "no thanks" and go enjoy your vacation. Have a FANTASTIC time!!!-

Bumping this thread… I booked through Koala from an owner. Do I have to attend a presentation? Does anyone booking here have to?

Bumping this thread… I booked through Koala from an owner. Do I have to attend a presentation? Does anyone booking here have to?
No. They will ask you and offer you some incentives to attend but just tell them no thanks. If you want to learn about timeshares, Tugbbs is a great resource.

Generally, I have found these people to be quite pleasant and nice after they give up on getting you to sign up. When my kids were little, they would give them balloons.

Some guests have never encountered a salesperson before and the experience can be stressful for them. Just keep smiling and saying "no thanks" a couple of times and you will be on your way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter