Class of 2023 Parents

We don’t have homecoming for another 4 weeks, but asking is a huge deal. Posters, silly videos and such. I am a little freaked out, but the girlfriend is sweet and has been around since the beginning of summer.

It's pretty big around here too, but my son isn't into stuff like that. I don't think he's 'dating' the girl he asked, per se, but she was over to our house with a group of 4 or 5 others last weekend, so at least it wasn't the first time we've heard the name. :p

Homecoming is next week here. My daughter is most likely going with a guy friend of hers, so I don't know if the whole asking drama will occur. No drama with her dress either - we ordered a few possibilities from a website with free shipping and returns, and one of them fit her perfectly and does not reveal much. Win! Her classes are going well - she needs to bring her grade up in her AP World History class, but she's working hard and doing what she needs to do. She loves her travel soccer this year, and school soccer can start training with the ball in a few weeks, so she's ready for that!

Homecoming is in 3 weeks, my daughter broke up with her boyfriend a few weeks ago and has been waffling about homecoming. She thinks she's just going with friends but we haven't done any dress shopping yet at all. School's going ok, this is her first year in advanced classes and she is slightly overwhelmed with the pressure, but other than Spanish she's doing pretty good. She has the same spanish teacher that her brother had last year and we couldn't stand the teacher last year, should have asked for a switch when we saw she got the same one.

Color guard is her life and she loves every second of it, I think her main solid friend group (which is completely different than from middle school) almost all comes from color guard. Lots of changes for her so far, but I think she's holding up.

My girls have no clue if their school does a homecoming.

DD1 has decided after all she talked about forever was basketball and being on the school team, she no longer wants to be on the school team. I'm not sure what happened. She says nothing but I'm not sure.
Both my girls are on a travel soccer team. DD2 ( one who just had finger surgery) is planning on trying out for the team. She doesn't want her sister to try out since she doesn't want the added competition.

They both have a lot more work than they are used to. Usually when DH travels for work they want to go out to eat. This time nope, they always say they have too much work.

Just thought of something that happened a few weeks ago that folks on this board should appreciate. DS had a small anxiety attack before his 1st JV football start. He said that all he could think about is how he would rather be at Walt Disney World. That is my baby. It is my happy place, too. His father wasn’t impressed. He enjoys Disney enough and has his favorites, but he mostly goes because we like it.

My girls are working on their soccer coach to have the team go to a tournament at ESPN at WDW.

The school year seems to be off to a good start here. It's been homecoming week - lots of parade float meetings and making posters for the pep rally. The parade and football game are tonight. For some odd reason, the dance is next week. It's low-key here, no dates needed or dressing up or anything. DD is also in the fall musical so that has kept her busy as well.

Bumping this up for updates...

Homecoming went pretty well this weekend, albeit with some teenaged drama, of course. Our son had asked a girl to go, but apparently changed his mind after he realized that she wanted to go to a different pre-dance party than he wanted to go to. Apparently, he suggested that they go to the pre-parties separate, then meet at the dance. Imagine my surprise that she didn't take that very well. :rotfl2: :confused3 Lesson learned, I guess? So he did end up going without a date, but had a blast at the pre-party and after-party at another person's house.

Soccer probably wraps up this week - tonight, they're in the playoffs and they will likely lose. He's getting a lot of varsity time lately, and may even start tonight. Certainly, he should get a varsity letter, which I think was his goal from the start.

Now, he's asking if he can go to another school's homecoming, this time with some friend of a girl he's become pretty good friends with (and I think he has a crush on). The only logistical issue was that we were set to go to our older son's family weekend at his college. So if he wants to stay behind, we'll need my MIL to help out - and I'm not sure she's willing to drive him around for this.

My girls school homecoming is the first weekend in November. I don't think my girls are going. They have a 2:30 soccer game at a field an hour away that day. They also have another game the next morning at 10am that is 45 minutes away. Of course now that I put it out that they are not going they will want to go.

One of my girls is going on a Florida DECA Emerging Leaders Summit trip soon. She realized the pants she were going to wear are too casual for Professional Business Dress

First quarter over - now just waiting for that first report card. He struggled a little bit at the end of the quarter with his spanish class, but said he got some extra credit that should bump his grade up to a B+ or A- (their school has a ridiculously tough grading scale - 95% is an A, 94 is an A-, etc).

Homecoming #2 was fun, I guess. Sounds like he really likes the girl he went with - not sure if this is officially a 'girlfriend' at this point, or just a good friend, but he went to see one of her soccer games the other night and I know he hates watching other people play soccer, so he must really like the girl. :rotfl2:

Both have soccer games tonight, Dd has another on Friday, and then states start. The boys varsity team did a horrible job bleaching their hair this year, pretty orange all around. I’ll go to dd’s game tonight since it’s at home, even though she plays 20 minutes top while ds plays striker for the full game. Winter track will start soon which is where Dd shines. Checking the portal, Dd has straight A’s, ds has some B’s but he insists he will only have a B in AP calculus, we will see. Kids get drivers licenses at 17 here, so the season has begun. Between school, soccer and friends, I rarely see them!

ETA Dd and her friend had a great visit with dd18 at the #3 party school in the US, first frat party! She is flying to NC to meet up with my sister and niece who are flying from Chicago to check out a few colleges next month.

Homecoming is in 3 weeks, my daughter broke up with her boyfriend a few weeks ago and has been waffling about homecoming. She thinks she's just going with friends but we haven't done any dress shopping yet at all. School's going ok, this is her first year in advanced classes and she is slightly overwhelmed with the pressure, but other than Spanish she's doing pretty good. She has the same spanish teacher that her brother had last year and we couldn't stand the teacher last year, should have asked for a switch when we saw she got the same one.

Color guard is her life and she loves every second of it, I think her main solid friend group (which is completely different than from middle school) almost all comes from color guard. Lots of changes for her so far, but I think she's holding up.

I feel like I just read about my down daughter. Broke up with boyfriend. Colorguard. Honors Spanish is challenging. Friend group has changed slightly. Most friends are in CG.

CG is life and I haven't really seen her since June. Winter guard auditions are coming up.

Things going pretty good, except we have a band trip coming up. She was very excited about going until she realized that none of the other freshmen were going. So she's in a room with all upperclassmen and she's freaked out that they don't like her and that she's not going to have any fun. We've already paid for the trip, so it's kind of a done deal but I'm having a pretty hard time convincing her that she'll be fine. (on a side note - I'm goign as a chaperone lol - so I know she'll be fine)

On a different note - found out she has a new boyfriend when she showed up in a new hoodie - was really hoping she would take a longer break.

I feel like I just read about my down daughter. Broke up with boyfriend. Colorguard. Honors Spanish is challenging. Friend group has changed slightly. Most friends are in CG.

CG is life and I haven't really seen her since June. Winter guard auditions are coming up.

For sure CG is life - but here its an actual class during the day - so once you make the team you're on for the entire year. At least that means we can avoid the drama of winter auditions.

For sure CG is life - but here its an actual class during the day - so once you make the team you're on for the entire year. At least that means we can avoid the drama of winter auditions.

Similar here too. She's enrolled in the class all year, so not sure what would happen if she didn;t do winterguard?

This year is flying buy. My girls are picking which classes they want for next year and planning out what they need for the next 3 years.
One of my girls decided she wanted to do track and made the varsity track team. She is loving track and has so much more energy, only thing she is having a hard time with is getting in the weekend on her own practices since she has soccer games. This weekend she has 3 soccer games. As of now her plan for Friday is to go to track practice and then walk over to the soccer pre game warmup. I'm trying to think what I can bring her to snack on right before the game, especially since the coach doesn't want them to eat more than an hour before hand.

Yep, pretty busy here too - winter/spring soccer (club) here is in full force - we'll be on the road a lot the next couple months. Our son has been talking with one of next year's captains as well and he's pretty certain he'll be a starter on varsity next season. :)

Just starting to plan out classes for next year as well - looks like he's going to drop Spanish and pick up Italian for his language. He'll also be taking AP Computer Science, honors Chem and honors Trig. I think he's decided against AP US History, not wanting to overwhelm himself. :)

DD was named co-captain for the JV Winterguard team. They were given paperwork to pick out their classes for next year. She had planned to take Honors World History/Geography but missed the eligibility criteria. Cried about it, but that's life. Still plans to continue with Honors Orchestra. I think she's done with Spanish as she took honors in 8th and 9th grades. The rest of her schedule is unknown.

DS has 3.925 gpa for 1st semester. i must admit not quite sure how that number, but that is what guidance counselor told him today. Semester ended 1/15, but report cards still aren’t posted yet...schedule planning is ramping up with us as well.

Football weight training started back Monday. The end of season banquet was 3 weeks ago. Crazy. He loves being called a “sophomore.”

He also had his first appointment with a therapist yesterday. It took a while to get him to agree, but his anxiety is off the charts. His depression isn’t quite as severe, but he deserves to be happy. I often wonder how much different my life would be if my own issues had been addressed in high school. I hate that he has seen me struggle and thinks that is just the way life is. We have tried since 1st grade to take away the toxicity and fear of medical terms (cancer and depression especially) to keep his life as normal as possible. We just let this part go a little too long. Sorry. Probably over sharing, but this stay at home mom of an only child spends a lot of time thinking about said child.

The high school band, orchestra, and colorguard departed for the long drive to Universal Studios last night. They perform this morning. DD had hoped to march through the park with the rest of the colorguard, but unfortunately orchestra performs at the same times as the band/guard march. She has requested that when they travel to WDW in 2 years that if orchestra performs at the same time as they march in MK, that she march instead. The girl has dreams of marching down Main Street.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter