Chunkymonkey and Chubbyhubby eat for free! WE ARE BACK! Photo Teasers pg. 23!!

So I realized I was talking about lenses and perhaps for some of you, it might be a new thing. Bur for others, like trickiwoo or topdog, it is second nature to understand shutter speed, aperture, and iso. I only just fully understood photography about 2 years ago, and before that I was pretty clueless. I didn’t even have a dslr. But now I am collecting lenses like I collect handbags, LOL. Here’s a little primer on lenses that may be helpful, as it certainly would have been for me when I just started out with photography.

Thank you, thank you, thank you SOOO MUCH for explaining this. My fiance has tried to many times and I did not get it but you explaining and then showing examples has really helped me a lot. He was reading along too and showed me things that you mentioned that my camera would do.

I've gotten a lot of questions on my photography so I thought I'd throw this guide together, based on my limited knowledge. Note this is a very basic guide, and I’ll try and keep it as simple as possible. I shoot using the Manual setting on my dslr, so that’s what I am going to explain, and I’m also shooting using no flash. Flash photography changes things up a little, but for now, let’s assume no flash.

There are 3 key things to know when shooting manually: Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO

Aperture: How much light you are letting in through your lens. This basically tells you how wide your lens will open up to let light into your camera. It usually has an F before it, like f2.0 or f5.6. The higher the number, the less light it lets in, therefore the darker the picture. The higher the number is also an indicator of less depth of field. Meaning, that more items in your picture will be in focus. So, if you want your nice blurry backgrounds for portraits, you want to avoid high apertures, and you want to go with as low of an aperture as your lens would let you.

Shutter Speed: How fast light is let into your camera. It’s usually measured in fractions of a second, like 1/8 of a second, 1/1000 of a second, or it could be full seconds, such as 1 second, or 4 seconds. Obviously the longer your shutter stays open, the larger the fraction. If you hold your shutter open for a long time though, you’ll start to get camera shake in your pictures, that’s why some pictures in low lights come out blurry. The shutter is open for a while, exposing your pictures while you hand begins to shake and create blurry pics. So if you don’t’ want blurry pics, you want a fast shutter speed. However fast shutter speeds let in less light, so you will have darker pictures.

ISO: Sensitivity of your digital sensor or in a film camera, it would be the film sensitivity. The higher the number, the more sensitive your film is to light, and therefore will be able to capture images in very low light, however the higher you go, the grainier the picture (more pixalated, less smooth). For example in a film camera, you can select only 1 speed of film for a roll, say ISO400. Digital-wise, it’s very easy to change from ISO100 to ISO800 anytime you want. That is one of the advantages of digital. The rule of thumb for most photographers is to stay with as low of an ISO as possible, therefore you won’t get grainy pictures.

How do they all work together? Well it would really depend on how you want your shot to look like and what lenses you have. Do you want to take portraits, landscapes, group shots or perhaps some close-up details shots? You base your settings roughly on what you want to shoot, and also pick your lens depending on that as well.

The first thing I usually do is set my ISO depending on where I am. If I’m outdoors on a sunny day, I’m usually at the lowest setting which on my dslr is ISO 100. If I’m shooting indoors with some light I’ll probably turn it up a bit maybe to ISO 200 or 400 and above, if I’m shooting a very dimly lit room, or night shots, I’ll probably have to turn it up to 1600 which is the highest my camera will go. Note, I want to use the lowest possible setting because I don’t necessarily want graininess in my pictures, and I don’t normally like using a flash.

Next, I set my aperture depending on how I want my shot to look. This will also depend on your lens. Let’s say I wanted to take a picture of DH in front of Cinderella’s castle. Since I want both of them to be in focus for the picture, I’d choose a wide angle lens. If it’s midday and sunny, I’d probably set my aperture to F9 and above and then go from there. It’s very easy to change aperture on a digital camera.

If on the other hand, I was photographing my lovely mascot, Round Tigger, indoors, and I wanted just him in the shot, I’d probably choose a lens that would allow me to get some of the nice background blur using a low aperture, so I may reach for a prime lens that would let me go to aperture f1.4. This would let me take my picture in low light without flash.

Next, I set my shutter speed. This is where I use the light meter in my camera. It’s that thing that looks like a ruler when you look through the viewfinder. Once I set my ISO and Aperture, I focus on my subject and the light meter tells me whether or not the object I am exposing is too much or too little, and then I adjust my shutter speed from there. You can do cool things with shutter speed, like dragging it to get motion blur shots, and panoramic blurs, but for the most part you want to set your shutter speed so you’re exposing your subject correctly.

From then on I experiment, if I’m not happy with the shot I took, I redo my settings and take the shot again. That’s the beauty of digital these days you can instantly see your results on your camera, soooo awesome! So I would just play around.

There are also some other settings, such as white balance, which is the type of light used in the picture. If you set it auto, you probably don’t’ have to worry about this. If you retouch your images using photoshop or some other editing software, you can adjust the white balance after the fact.

So that’s it for what I know about shooting manually. It’s all trial and error from there. Nowadays dslrs come with a magnitude of settings, like Aperture-Priority, or Shutter Priority, but I find that if I shoot Manual I have full control over everything.

BTW, I always use Auto-focus, and I rarely manually focus my shots.

Here are some examples of settings in some shots that I took:

My sister’s wedding:
mandmwed-136.jpg

24-70mm zoom lens, ISO 400, f4.0, 1/60sec (sunset, indoors, but windowed room let in beautiful outdoor light)

A friend’s wedding:
amywedding21of133.jpg

24-70mm zoom, ISO 100, f2.8, 1/200sec (afternoon outdoor wedding, sunny, shaded by tall trees)

A day-after shoot:
20090919-20090919-IMG_7551.jpg

50mm prime lens, ISO 100, f1.4, 1/1600sec (summer early evening shoot outdoors, still plenty of light)

An engagement shoot:
MoocardsJuly2009-67.jpg

10-22mm zoom wide angle, ISO 200, f4.0, 1/125sec (summer, early evening shoot on city streets, shaded by buildings)

20090912-20090912-IMG_6490.jpg

50mm prime, ISO 1600, f1.4, 1/60 sec (indoor, evening wedding, candlelit, low light, no flash)

Hope this was helpful as well!

BTW, a little tip, when shooting outdoors, the best and most flattering light is found right at sunrise, or before sunset. You don’t necessarily want the sun right overhead, say at noon, because it casts unflattering shadows on your subjects, as well as force people to squint. Photographers actually prefer slightly overcast days because of the nice diffusion of light in the picture.

I felt the same way about the Dessert Party; I debated it for months but didn't book it for our last trip, and I definitely didn't miss it!

GREAT shots, btw!

Your pictures are absolutely amazing!

Thank you for taking the time to type out your photography lessons! They are very helpful for someone trying to learn to get the most out of a DSLR that I don't know how to use!

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a beginner's guide! It's so helpful!

You are SO talented, really. I absolutely love looking at the pictures you've taken :goodvibes

=
Hi Paula!

Thank you so much! I'll be posting another guide to basic photography technique in a bit. I'm working on it right now and finding some good examples to show.

Right now, I don't actually do much photography work-wise. It's more of an interest and hobby. At one point I was pursuing it as a full time job, but that was before I found an actual full-time job, LOL. Photography was too hard to pursue as a career, long and tiring hours, with not much money at all. (I pretty much worked for free for months) But in any case, I do some shoots on weekends but on a limited basis in the NYC area and I can finally start charging a small fee.

I don't bring my good gear with me on vacation, so I wouldn't want to charge anyone anyways. There are some great photographers in the Orlando area who often do shoots in Disney. One of my faves is www.rootweddings.com They do amazing work, and may be able to work within your price range (most photographers I know are pretty flexible with price, depending on what you want and how much experience they have.)

In any case if you do see me in the parks, I'd be happy to snap a few pics of you and your family and say hi of course!

Thanks for the information! I appreciate it... I will definitely look them up!

The first thing I usually do is set my ISO depending on where I am. Next, I set my aperture depending on how I want my shot to look. Next, I set my shutter speed.

Thanks for the additional information! You explain things so clearly... I actually understand these terms now! :goodvibes

I also like that you gave information about what you set first, second, and third when you get into a new environment. I haven't seen that information before and it really helps me visualize "what to do" each time.

You are the BEST! :banana:

Wow, those pictures you posted earlier are amazing!! :thumbsup2 You are really talented!!

Thank you, I appreciate it!!

I agree...very talented!!!

Thank you, again!!

I felt the same way about the Dessert Party; I debated it for months but didn't book it for our last trip, and I definitely didn't miss it!

GREAT shots, btw!

Thanks! I'm actually kind of glad we didn't book it. We have so many more ADRs than we usually do, and I'm actually glad to have some time to just...roam. LOL

Your pictures are absolutely amazing!

Thank you for taking the time to type out your photography lessons! They are very helpful for someone trying to learn to get the most out of a DSLR that I don't know how to use!

Sure thing! I am glad to be able to help. I know how tricky this stuff can be at first so I wanted to make it not intimidating at all. Thanks!

Again, gorgeous pictures. The color is amazing.

Thank you so much!

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a beginner's guide! It's so helpful!

You are SO talented, really. I absolutely love looking at the pictures you've taken :goodvibes

Aww thank you! I'm really glad to help people enjoy photography as much as I do.

Thanks for the information! I appreciate it... I will definitely look them up!

Thanks for the additional information! You explain things so clearly... I actually understand these terms now! :goodvibes

I also like that you gave information about what you set first, second, and third when you get into a new environment. I haven't seen that information before and it really helps me visualize "what to do" each time.

You are the BEST! :banana:

Thanks Paula! I thought giving an example of what I do would be helpful, as no one told me that before either. Another thing I like to do is to also browse books and things that give you inspiration. I really like the Anthropologie catalogues. I love their vintage looks. [COLOR]

I forgot to ask in my last post ... what type of camera do you use?

I use a Canon 40D most of the time. I use my Canon Rebel xSi when travelling because it's a lighter weight. Both cameras are wonderful!

I also use a Panasonic Lumix TS1 as a point and shoot.

Hope this helps!

28-300 is a nice range! Is the lens really long? I'm looking forward to your lensbaby pictures and seeing the different things you can do with it!

Here's a couple photos of me using the lens fully extended (with the lens hood)

70796190.jpg

70741645.jpg

It's pretty hefty, but it's actually not as heavy as my 10-20mm!

Yay! I'm finally all caught up with your PTR! (I had only read your wedding & honeymoon earlier).
I love looking at all your travel pictures! Bora Bora would be my dream vacation spot, but I will just have to live through you! :lmao:

Your bathroom remodel looks great, especially the tile! We lived with my in-laws while our house was being built & one of my favorite things was the home cooked meals every day too!

How have your Sketcher Tone-Ups been working? I bought the Shape-Ups last week. But then I realized they were only for walking & not the gym. I go to the gym & I really just need shoes for that. So, I returned them. I liked the idea of them shaping me up, plus making me taller! :)
I think I'm the queen of buyer's remorse & returning :rolleyes1

Here's a couple photos of me using the lens fully extended (with the lens hood)

It's pretty hefty, but it's actually not as heavy as my 10-20mm!

Sweet! Looks like a really nice lens. It definitely looks much lighter than my 70-200 Canon L lens. Even though I got the f4, and not the f2.8, it's still really really long. Great pics of you in action!

No problem!

Yay! I'm finally all caught up with your PTR! (I had only read your wedding & honeymoon earlier).
I love looking at all your travel pictures! Bora Bora would be my dream vacation spot, but I will just have to live through you! :lmao:

Your bathroom remodel looks great, especially the tile! We lived with my in-laws while our house was being built & one of my favorite things was the home cooked meals every day too!

How have your Sketcher Tone-Ups been working? I bought the Shape-Ups last week. But then I realized they were only for walking & not the gym. I go to the gym & I really just need shoes for that. So, I returned them. I liked the idea of them shaping me up, plus making me taller! :)
I think I'm the queen of buyer's remorse & returning :rolleyes1

Hi Amy! Thanks! The Sketcher Shape-ups are turning out to be one of my most comfortable shoes, even though I don't really like the way they look. I think they definitely give my legs, especially my calves, a bit of a workout as sometimes I do feel a bit of soreness in my legs (but in a good way). I just wish they weren't so clunky looking. I use them maybe 3 times a week if I know I'm not going anywhere after work. If I'm going out after work, I prefer to wear something a little prettier :cutie: But they do provide great arch and heel support which was what I realized I needed. I too am the Queen of returning. It's because I shope online a lot so I don't try on clothes or shoes in stores. So I sometimes can place a whole order for stuff and have to return everything because it doesn't fit!

Thanks for more info about the camera stuff. I will have to see if my camera allows me to change any of the settings you mentioned. I often have shaky pictures because my hands are a little shaky when holding the camera. Hopefully your tips will help me with that. I think I am going to practice a little over the next few weeks to see which settings work best with my camera and the pics I want to take on my trip. Thanks again!

I've been checking the pricing on the GF1 for the past 5 weeks or so. Price has came down at least 10% already. You can get it from Adorama through Amazon for under $730. I suspect it is going to slide even further when Photokina is over.

For now, I am waiting patiently to hold off as long as I can.

Thanks for more info about the camera stuff. I will have to see if my camera allows me to change any of the settings you mentioned. I often have shaky pictures because my hands are a little shaky when holding the camera. Hopefully your tips will help me with that. I think I am going to practice a little over the next few weeks to see which settings work best with my camera and the pics I want to take on my trip. Thanks again!

Of course! Your welcome! Do you have a point and shoot only? Usually with P and S it's a but more difficult to set your own settings, as most of them don't really have a full manual setting. But usually what I do is I turn the flash off, and that seems to help with getting more "natural" pictures.

Also if you find that you have a lot of camera shake, you might want to set your camera on something stable, like a table or a stool and take the shot that way, which acts like an instant tripod, and allows you to take pictures in low light without camera shake.

I've been checking the pricing on the GF1 for the past 5 weeks or so. Price has came down at least 10% already. You can get it from Adorama through Amazon for under $730. I suspect it is going to slide even further when Photokina is over.

For now, I am waiting patiently to hold off as long as I can.

That's great that the prices for the GF1 are coming down. Have you seen the new sony? It's even smaller than the GF1, it looks almost like a p and s! I think I prefer the look of the GF1 though, even though it's slightly bigger. I am not sure whether to go smaller or get myself a full-frame canon (5d mark II). I am shooting a wedding in Cancun next year for a friend, and it would be nice to have a full-frame.

Wow, a photography lesson!

Those photos are ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL SU!!!! :lovestruck:

I hope I haven't missed much on your PTR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter