Chicken pox?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're absolutely right. I should have quoted the person to whom I was speaking. My comments were not directed to the OP, but rather several people who had replied to this thread.

As respectfully as I can...

The statement you made was not given as an opinion. You stated that you were concerned about what an unvaccinated child might expose you to. That is uneducated. I hope that this conversation opens up an opportunity for you (and many others) to become more educated on the subject.

Absolutely, it is a parent's right to make this decision for their child. But to say that an unvaccinated child puts a vaccinated child at risk is not an opinion, it is misinformation.

Not sure who is misinformed or ignorant on this issue - maybe the CDC??

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-a-offit-md/dont-risk-going-unvaccina_b_160018.html?page=3

I am the mother of a child who, on our first cruise 3 years ago, was immunosupressed due to her cancer treatment. That trip was her Wish trip through The Children's Wish Foundation. Had I known of this board back then, and if someone had posted the same thing this OP has, I would still have said "pack your bags and head for your vacation". There are SO many things we are all exposed to every day, but exposure doesn't mean infection.
My youngest (now 5) HAS had the CP vaccine, but only because his sister was diagnosed with cancer. Here in Ontario (not sure about other provinces), the CP vaccine is not madatory, but only a few years ago became part of the vaccination routine for young children. My 11 year old son, has been exposed numerous times to CP (intentionally exposed), but has NEVER been infected.
So OP, plan for this fabulous vacation and IF, CP prevents you from being able to board the ship, that will be very sad, but I know you'll deal with it!
Sending some pixie dust :wizard:

Unvaccinated children can still expose deadly diseases to infants and children who are not old enough to be fully vaccinated, right? And also to immunosuppressed people?? Or am I not correct? Hmm....

No, you are right.
Vaccines are not 100% effective, so some small percentage of vaccinated people are still susceptible to the disease. But, since most people are vaccinated, the chance is small that either the child whose parents decided not to vaccinate or those other vulnerable groups of people will be exposed to the disease. This likelihood will only remain small so long as most people are vaccinating their children. This is referred to as 'herd immunity.'
The only reason some people can safely not vaccinate their child, is because other people are vaccinating their children!
If everyone collectively stopped vaccinating their children, then the diseases will make a comeback. The unvaccinated child would most likely get the potentially life threatening illnesses. So basically, the unvaccinated are are getting a free ride off the vaccinated. Let's save that for people who truly can't get immunity from vaccines.
Don't believe me? Then go to a country without a vaccine program and look around. Just don't take your unvaxed kid with you.
Personally, I think your unvaxed child is a bigger hazard than the kid who was exposed to chicken pox.

I think everyone needs to get a cocktail and chill on this one.

Ha! Wise words.

I am surprised no one has even mentioned what could possibly be swimming in the Mickey Pool on Deck 9. I can't tell you how many times that pool was drained and cleaned due to some vaccinated or unvaccinated child having a blowout while swimming while on our cruise last week!! Who knows how much urine, snot, etc. was in the Goofy pool. It was always cloudy. Just sayin'.

Oh, and the "ignorant" remark.....harsh. I thought Dis'ers were nicer. I guess only when talking about Mickey.

I just have to say....every time we go on a cruise at least one person in our family comes down with a terrible cold. Is it anyone's fault, of course not. Between being on the plane and being on the ship you get exposed to all sorts of things. You can't help it. Kids are exposed everyday to all kinds of illnesses.

To the OP....pack your bags, come to the US and enjoy your vacation!!!!

To the Worry Wort who had to stick her nose were it doesn't belong and contact DCL - You need to get a life!!!!! If you are that worried....stay home. Do you really think the OP's kid is going to be the ONLY kid on board that was exposed to CP or some other ailment. Absolutely Not!!!!

I just have to say....every time we go on a cruise at least one person in our family comes down with a terrible cold. Is it anyone's fault, of course not. Between being on the plane and being on the ship you get exposed to all sorts of things. You can't help it. Kids are exposed everyday to all kinds of illnesses.

To the OP....pack your bags, come to the US and enjoy your vacation!!!!

To the Worry Wort who had to stick her nose were it doesn't belong and contact DCL - You need to get a life!!!!! If you are that worried....stay home. Do you really think the OP's kid is going to be the ONLY kid on board that was exposed to CP or some other ailment. Absolutely Not!!!!

:thumbsup2

I believe that this thread has gotten VERY out of hand. Time for closure on this:thumbsup2

OP: I do hope that nobody contracts the CP in your family, and everything goes as planned for you. You seem like a very considerate parent. :goodvibes

At times like this we have to keep the DIS guidelines fresh in our heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter