Checked Baggage measurements for southwest

Bnx0406

Earning My Ears
Hi, we are flying southwest in August for the first time, we have not flew in awhile. I was just wondering if the wheels and handles are included in the 62"? My luggage is 64" if you include the wheels and handles. Just wondering if I should return it and get something different.

Are you going to put your luggage into the " checked luggage " and collect at the end of flight ?

If yes I think you will be fine ...... But WATCH the Weight.

OR

Are you taking it on board the plane as Hand Luggage & putting it in the Overhead luggage bins ?

If Yes then it is a NO NO.

That would be a checked bag as even 62" is well beyond the permitted size for a carry-on.

To answer your question, the airlines will included wheels and handles in their measurements so it seems like your bag is technically too large. While it is possible--maybe even likely--that a 64" bag would not be challenged as long as it isn't over 50 pounds (but as the PP notes, it's not hard to get a bag that size over the weight limit), if it does get measured your looking at a $75 oversize bag charge. At that point--unlike an overweight bag where you could shift something to another checked bag--you're pretty much on the hook for the charge.

So to be safe, I would go with another bag and not risk it. If you're willing to gamble on the $75 for one or both ways, then have at it!

Thank you. Yes I know it is checked luggage. I was just wondering if they count the wheels in the measurements. It's not over weight at all (only 40lbs), but I'll just have to return it and get a smaller one to be safe.

I use a 30inch suitcase(its gigantic) for checked and fly southwest a lot. I am sure it has to be over the 64 inch limit. Nobody blinks an eye. They do monitor the weight though. I have to take stuff out if I am a pound overweight.

I use a 30inch suitcase(its gigantic) for checked and fly southwest a lot. I am sure it has to be over the 64 inch limit. Nobody blinks an eye. They do monitor the weight though. I have to take stuff out if I am a pound overweight.
I drive over the speed limit just about every day and have never received a speeding ticket. Many people do, however.

We have not had issues with luggage that is a little over the 62 inch limit either. No one has ever measured it, they usially just weigh it. However, we do know that at any time they could decide to crack down. So far they have not.

Thanks everyone. I just took it back and exchanged it for one that was still 28in but it's over all measurements were smaller.

I imagine they don't pull out a measuring tape to check. They probably eyeball and exclude the major violators. But would suck if your suitcase was the unlucky one. I actually measure them in the store before buying just to be safe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter