Charles freaking Boda

Discussion in 'The DIS Unplugged Podcast' started by AnnMichele, Jun 7, 2018.

1. thesteveness

thesteveness Earning My Ears

Well written - great article, Charles!

2. Naughtilus

Naughtilus Earning My Ears

Charlie's piece almost reads more like a thesis than an article. I'd love to read a continuation on the topic.

As an unlikely Disney fan, this was a welcome change from the usual Dole Whip debate or magical pixie dust articles that have been recycled for decades.

There is certainly an element of escapism that keeps me interested in Disney but it has nothing to do with the characters or the company's modern marketing practices. Instead, for me, it is the immersion, architecture, themed environments and technology
    (I freelance in a related industry and am moving more toward the technology end of things).

I've read biographies on Walt and enjoyed the book Disney War along with Designing Disney. It's fantastic that Charles brings a more intellectual approach to what most people consider folly. His inclusion of raw emotion added authenticity. Good stuff Charles.

PS - I realize there is a high demand for Dole Whip articles and pixie dust. I have no issue with that or with people who love it. Every Disney group offers that though(some better than others and the DIS does it well). But three must be others who are enthusiastic about Disney but not for the classic reasons. I think. Charles has something to offer us.

PPS - I haven't posted in this forum in years. Y'all owe Charles a Dole Whip for bringing me back. It can be a WDW Dole Whip I guess but everyone knows the Aulani ones are the best. Not a lemon one, not a swirl one, not an orange one and not a Butterbeer. Those. Are. Not. Dole. Whipsss.

adelaster, resablue and wisteria1019 like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Liam91

Liam91 Earning My Ears

His writing is so good! Big fan of his articles.

5. 386chad

386chad Earning My Ears

I must admit it brought a tear to my eye as my own childhood memories played like an old VHS tape in my mind.

My own mother was not intoxicated on alcohol, but on a devious cocktail of religion mixed with mental illness. Perhaps the latter bred by the former? It’s good that you and your brother were able to feel safe in that bathroom, as my younger brother and I rarely felt safe, even with the doors locked. We never knew when a rampage would begin, but it would always begin with a thrum thrumming of footsteps down the hallway as our hearts got caught in our throat. We could always hear the storm as it approached.

We took solace in comic books more as an independent study. The melodic sounds of our Sega Genesis, and the amazing adventures it afforded us, was our refuge when we were together.

You have put into words my own thoughts so eloquently and I’m sure this article will resonate with many.

You are doing the lord’s work, my good man. And being as that I’m an atheist, that is high praise indeed.

I’ll never forget the first time I entered Epcot Center, with the gate area music playing, the perfectly manicured landscapes, staring up at that incredible larger than life icon and the feeling for the first time, that I was safe and all was well.

Thanks for writing and sharing a bit of yourself with everyone. You are impacting people in ways you can not comprehend. It’s great that there are such great micro-communities within the Disney fanbase, and that we can support one another when necessary.

P.S. I posted this here so Charles would hopefully see it, even though it's got some personal things in it. Hope no one is offended. I tried to email him directly, but they have his email listed incorrectly (complete with a misspelling of his last name) on the contact page, as well as no one else answers their email either based on what's on that page, so maybe all the addresses are wrong. I am referencing the contact page here. I tried both Corey and Steve as well with no response, under the disunplugged team section.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  6. JerseyJanice

JerseyJanice A Disboards original...

I am allowed to say in the #Metoo age that not only is he an insightful writer, I find him very easy on the eyes too. :love:

Charles has one of the best looking pair of forearms I’ve ever seen on a man. Looking at him, I wish I were 20 years younger and living in Florida. I’d volunteer to work at the Bob Marley studio. LOL!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    ml sumner and SorcererHeidi like this.
  7. KingLlama

KingLlama My car finished 3rd on Radiator Springs Racers.

Pull it together, Janice.

8. wdwfansara

wdwfansara Earning My Ears

I also found this article exceptional. Thank you, Charles.

9. CynthiaC925

CynthiaC925 <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ

Amazing article Charles! Thank you!

MaryKatesMom likes this.
  10. NatalieCat

NatalieCat Earning My Ears

I LOVED THIS! Charles' articles have been phenomenal. I love his colorful use of language and details!! I wasn't sure about him when he first joined disUnplugged, (i think he may have had a bit of camera-nervousness that is gone now) but he has quickly grown on me and is such a fun addition! Love LOVe LOVE this.

MaryKatesMom likes this.
  11. Batgirl67

Batgirl67 Mouseketeer

Brilliant!

12. hertamaniac

hertamaniac Give me 95 degrees everyday

I don't think you meant Kingston, Jamaica at the Tuff Gong? :rockband:

13. Deanie1

Deanie1 DIS Veteran

Very well written article! I really enjoy Charles’ insights and reviews. :)

14. MaryKatesMom

MaryKatesMom DIS Veteran

Really loved the article.

15. resablue

resablue Earning My Ears

I already loved Charles, reading this article only makes me love him more. I can relate to the rampaging mother. Had one of those. I completely agree with the escapism aspect of Disney. Exactly how I feel.

16. schaefercal

schaefercal Just Take The Bare Necessities

Charles,
    Thank you for this article and thanks to the DIS for giving you this platform. I didn't expect to read such a emotion provoking piece here but I loved it.
    In the closing para you say:
    "Our decisions are affected by our perspective."
    Yes! The direction we all chose to look at the world is different and what could be better. These different perspectives gave us Walt and other like him.

Please keep writing and posting!

SorcererHeidi likes this.
  17. SoCalTrojanSkip

SoCalTrojanSkip Tropic Rivers Of Adventure

Does anyone else read Charles' articles in his voice/inflection...?

Just me...?

I'll show myself out.

18. Seven Seas Lagoon

Seven Seas Lagoon Earning My Ears

This article says it all! Keep up the great writing buddy! We appreciate you!!

Stacy

19. adelaster

adelaster DIS Veteran

Great article! I thoroughly concur. People often mock or question a choice to visit the parks if you're someone who isn't a fan of crowds, no kids etc. - but there really isn't another experience quite like it. I love the detail, the immersion, the imagineering, and the stories. It isn't as much about the rides as the tales they tell, and the fact that the existence of all of it was driven by a midwest kid with a vision who appreciated the value of escapism. I would love even more imaginary societies and worlds to visit as our own becomes more difficult to cope with. Creative architecture, tiny aesthetic delights, careful florals, and everywhere stories.

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy."

SorcererHeidi likes this.
  20. michelleiada

michelleiada DIS Veteran

Agree. Great article. Great job Charles.