Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude-April 11-19, 2014-Day 9-Part 3 (updtd 6/29)

Day 1 – Part One

I was really looking forward to this trip. I had a second ankle surgery in January, so I was fighting a lingering depression due to the endless discomfort associated with that and the long hard winter didn’t help either. I felt like this was going to be the real coming of Spring for me. I hoped it would lift me out of my doldrums. What could be more healing than a little Disney magic?

Because of my recent surgery, I had to once again rent a scooter and wear the dreaded black walking boot.

We got up 6:30 AM, ate at the Waffle House

I call this place the Awful Waffle. The food is decent, but the atmosphere leaves much to be desired and I always find the bathrooms revolting. But the kids love it, so we always stop on our way out of town.

After breakfast, we stopped by the post office and left town around 8 AM and arrived at our first destination around 3 PM.

We have time share points through RCI and Holiday Inn Vacation Club that we needed to use, so I booked two nights at Orange Lake Resort in a two bedroom villa. This resort is really huge and we stayed in an area known as River Island. It gets its name from the pool area, I think. It has a bunch of small pool areas all connected by a series of lazy river type arteries.

We checked in and they said they would text us with our room number. Once you stay on Disney property and experience the excellent service they provide, it is difficult not to compare that service with other resorts. Check in was very friendly, but not quick. After check-in, they send you to another desk where they try to strong arm you into setting up a time to go to a “meeting”. I let them know that we were owners and that we were here on vacation and that we weren’t wasting any of our time for this kind of thing. I was assured that I did not have to, but they pressed the issue anyway. I finally had to bring out the flying monkeys and really be a witch to this guy and tell him that NO, we were not attending a meeting. He continued to press, so we just left him there just talking. I just don’t understand why they do this to people. It really made me mad.

DS needed some eye drops so we headed across the street to Target to get some. This resort is in an area that has a TON of things like Target and Publix and lots of restaurants. It is very nice. As we were exiting the store, we got the text that our room was ready and the room number. So we headed over to get settled.

Like I mentioned above, we had a two bedroom for the next two nights. Here is a floor plan.

Our room number was

And here are some room photos

Kitchen

Living area

Screened Porch

Master Bedroom

Master Bathroom

Second Bedroom

Bathroom #2

After we got settled, we headed out to dinner. We went to Outback. Another place that the kids love, but I like it as well. We had a good dinner. This is a place that is always consistent for us. Food and Service are always good.

I would love to leave at 8 and be in Orlando by 3 by driving! I would definitely be able to go more often!
The place looks nice. My parents have that issue with "meetings" every time they stay at their Marriott Timeshare. Mom told me while we were down there they kept leaving messages with a time and she had no intentions of going again.
I have heard some people say when they keep pressuring you you should tell them you own DVC and that stops a lot of them because they can't compare.

Oh and I agree with you about Waffle House. It always seems dirty.

I would love to leave at 8 and be in Orlando by 3 by driving! I would definitely be able to go more often!

I am glad we are so close. Or else I am not sure we would ever make it.

The place looks nice. My parents have that issue with "meetings" every time they stay at their Marriott Timeshare. Mom told me while we were down there they kept leaving messages with a time and she had no intentions of going again.

I absolutely detest it. It really makes me mad. This guy at check in was not taking no for an answer. We literally just left him there talking to the air. And then that constant phone calls while you are staying there. It is soooo annoying. Last time we stayed at an RCI resort, they called us every morning before 9 AM. We finally took the phone off the hook and they came to our room to "fix our phone".

I have heard some people say when they keep pressuring you you should tell them you own DVC and that stops a lot of them because they can't compare.

They can't compare. DVC is a step above everyone in the timeshare arena.

Oh and I agree with you about Waffle House. It always seems dirty.

It is gross - seriously. I always want a bath after I leave :lmao:

Oh wow!! You are right up road from us!! We are in Prosperity... About 10 minutes from Chapin one way or 10 minutes from Newberry going opposite direction :) My DH actually works in Lexington right now doing construction! So excited to read more!

Oh wow!! You are right up road from us!! We are in Prosperity... About 10 minutes from Chapin one way or 10 minutes from Newberry going opposite direction :) My DH actually works in Lexington right now doing construction! So excited to read more!

Practically neighbors. I have several friends who live in the Chapin area. Lovely little towns up that way. I work in downtown Columbia.

Disney magic is always the cure for any winter blues!

That pool area looks very cool!

The hotel looks nice! Sorry you had to deal with a pushy worker!

That two bedroom villa was really nice!

Timeshare sales people are the worst. I know they're just doing their jobs, but it's so annoying.

The hotel and pool area definitely look awesome! Looks like a great place to stay aside from the harassment at check in. I don't think I'd have had the patience to stand there as long as you did. I'm always a bit irritable when I get to a hotel to check in anyway. I just want to get to my room and get settled in.

Practically neighbors. I have several friends who live in the Chapin area. Lovely little towns up that way. I work in downtown Columbia.

COOL! I used to work off of Forest Drive at a firm and now I am at a firm off of Bush River... :)

The villa you stayed in looks super nice. I might have to take a look at it. We just had a trip in October but we are going back in June, just for the weekend to meet my sister and nephew as a surprise to our boys! We are booked right now but I keep thinking that we should try to find something off property to save some $ since the trip is so much shorter this time. We will leave Thursday night, drive halfway and spend Friday, Saturday and half of Sunday and then return... When you love Disney, you take what you can get, right? :woohoo:

Disney magic is always the cure for any winter blues!

Winter, summer - doesn't matter what season. It never fails to cheer me up. But then there is the horrible Disney Depression when you get back :sad2:

That pool area looks very cool!

It was super cool. It was sometimes hard to spot the kids though.

The hotel looks nice! Sorry you had to deal with a pushy worker!

It was very nice. I hate those pushy people!!

That two bedroom villa was really nice!

Timeshare sales people are the worst. I know they're just doing their jobs, but it's so annoying.

It was really nice.

I really wish they would just take no for an answer. We never have that problem with DVC.

The hotel and pool area definitely look awesome! Looks like a great place to stay aside from the harassment at check in. I don't think I'd have had the patience to stand there as long as you did. I'm always a bit irritable when I get to a hotel to check in anyway. I just want to get to my room and get settled in.

We didn't put up with it for very long. My DH was getting ready to cave when I showed up. And then I was like oh HALE no. Not doing it, bye.

COOL! I used to work off of Forest Drive at a firm and now I am at a firm off of Bush River... :)

That is closer for you definitely. I wonder if I actually know you. You don't play tennis do you?

The villa you stayed in looks super nice. I might have to take a look at it. We just had a trip in October but we are going back in June, just for the weekend to meet my sister and nephew as a surprise to our boys! We are booked right now but I keep thinking that we should try to find something off property to save some $ since the trip is so much shorter this time. We will leave Thursday night, drive halfway and spend Friday, Saturday and half of Sunday and then return... When you love Disney, you take what you can get, right? :woohoo:

We have taken short trips like that as well. I prefer the longer ones, but yes - you take what you can get for sure!!

That definitely is great to be that close that it is just a 1/2 day drive away ... especially if one goal is to drive away the winter blues!

We also have a time share with RCI and have looked at Orange Lake in the past but have always decided against it - the largest reason being all the reviews I read that mentioned how pressuring they are with going on the sales tours, etc.

It looks like a nice resort - especially the pool areas, but that pressure sales just totally ruins my vacation feel. Fortunately we have been able to find other locations in the area that haven't had the hard sell at all and have worked out fine ... but definitely been anticipating reading your report out on Orange Lake

Joining in! I can't wait to see how you enjoyed Universal and Old Key West. Those are both new to us and we hope to see them both on our next trip!

That definitely is great to be that close that it is just a 1/2 day drive away ... especially if one goal is to drive away the winter blues!

It really is nice. We try to get good use out of an annual pass

We also have a time share with RCI and have looked at Orange Lake in the past but have always decided against it - the largest reason being all the reviews I read that mentioned how pressuring they are with going on the sales tours, etc.

I hate how they pressure you. It is sooo annoying. I think is pushes people away who might otherwise invest.

It looks like a nice resort - especially the pool areas, but that pressure sales just totally ruins my vacation feel. Fortunately we have been able to find other locations in the area that haven't had the hard sell at all and have worked out fine ... but definitely been anticipating reading your report out on Orange Lake

It is a very nice place. We would definitely stay there again.

Joining in! I can't wait to see how you enjoyed Universal and Old Key West. Those are both new to us and we hope to see them both on our next trip!

:welcome: Thanks for stopping by!! We liked Universal. We LOVED Old Key West!!

another trip report? Doesn't seem long since the last one but can't wait to hear about this year at OKW. :)

:welcome: Yes, another. It helps stave off the Disney Depression I always get after a trip.

Oh okay, neat! It's a small world.. After all :)

Yes it is!!

Day 1 – Part Two

When we got back from dinner, DD wanted to swim so we headed down to the pool. I think the water must be kind of chilly – there were lots of shivering kids. The pool was really neat and meandered around everywhere.

DS was being silly when we got back. He said he was monorail boy.

Next up – a trip to the dark side !!

That's a really pretty resort with a nice big villa!

I, too, hate the time share push (even when you own), but knowing what my son goes through to get "leads" at work I understand why the push to the point of annoyance. They either get paid by the lead or they have to maintain a certain quota. It's a crappy system and I could never do a job like that.

Lovely lazy river.

Looking forward to the dark side.

That's a really pretty resort with a nice big villa!

I, too, hate the time share push (even when you own), but knowing what my son goes through to get "leads" at work I understand why the push to the point of annoyance. They either get paid by the lead or they have to maintain a certain quota. It's a crappy system and I could never do a job like that.

Lovely lazy river.

Looking forward to the dark side.

That does sound like a crappy system and I figured that was why that guy kept pushing. It sucks that they do that to them. What a crappy job that would be. Well, I wouldn't like it anyway. I have to genuinely LIKE the person I am buying that kind of thing from and this guy did not give me the warm fuzzies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter