Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude-April 11-19, 2014-Day 9-Part 3 (updtd 6/29)

Ok, now I have to ask...and maybe (probably) it has been answered, but, here goes...what does ButterBeer taste like? I am not a HP fan (never read the books) so I have no idea how it is even described. Help a girl out. :goodvibes

The more you post about the Dark Side and the more pics I see, the more I really want to go. :) Waiting (patiently) for the next post.

You're right. The theming in Harry Potter is amazing!

I've never been a big fan of Dr. Seuss, but that section looks really cool, too!

As crowded as it was, did you have to wait long for rides?

I'm here finally.

The villa you stayed in looks bigger than my first apartment. We had to climb on the bed to get DS in his crib. The pool looked very nice too not that I ever spend any time at the pool on vacation.

Loved the monorail boy. Isn't amazing that at one minute the are all grown up and the next can be silly again. My grandson is like that. I understand the picture thing. I have more pictures of my grandson's hand or the back of his head.

Universal looks like it was much busier than the day we went. I didn't do many rides the day we were there. Skipped all of the Harry Potter rides. Now I think I am glad I did. I did love the butterbeer but Jim and I shared it so I guess that helped. Wish I had needed the rest room would have loved to experience Moaning Myrtle. I am a bit of a Harry Potter fan. Also love how Nathan is ahead of you in all the pictures.

Be glad you had the scooter there. I tried to tough it out the one day at Universal and I was dragging my leg by the end of the day. It is lot more walking than I expected. My ankle did swell up but I had my Aleve.

I think I am caught up now.

The pool was really neat and meandered around everywhere.
It really looks like a great pool area... :thumbsup2

We just bought tickets for this ONE day and did purchase express passes. Yes, it was expensive for one day. Anyway, we headed into the park.
Probably worth the expense. I've done 1 day trips both with and without express pass. You don't really need it if it isn't crowded, but if there is much of a crowd it is well worthwhile to have it so that you can get through everything you want to do. If it saves you a day, it pays for itself, IMO. :confused3

Now we missed all of the cool stuff in the queue, but I didn’t really mind. I am a fan of Harry Potter, but I am not HUGE fan, so I was OK with not seeing everything.
Oh!!! The queue is the best part!!! :rolleyes1

full disclosure... not a Harry Potter fan. Never seen a single movie or read a book.

Yeah – both of those are a no for me. I have to be in a really adventurous mood to ride these things.
You're missing out. Love, Love, Love the Hulk.

I was under the impression that you could only use your express pass once per ride, but DS was able to use his multiple times. So I am not sure how that all really works.
Well, the on property express pass is supposed to be unlimited use, but the purchased one is supposed to be once per ride. Maybe he just got some Universal "pixie dust?" :confused3

It was a strange beat boxing sort of tune and there were giant frogs which I assumed were not real. It was just kind of weird.
I agree... Maybe if I'd seen the movies I'd get it? :confused3

Ok, now I have to ask...and maybe (probably) it has been answered, but, here goes...what does ButterBeer taste like? I am not a HP fan (never read the books) so I have no idea how it is even described. Help a girl out. :goodvibes

It tastes a little like cream soda

The more you post about the Dark Side and the more pics I see, the more I really want to go. :) Waiting (patiently) for the next post.

More coming up!!

You're right. The theming in Harry Potter is amazing!

Yes, it is. If it had been cold, you would have really felt like you were there.

I've never been a big fan of Dr. Seuss, but that section looks really cool, too!

I thought all of that park was themed well. Nothing as magical as Disney, but still really cool.

As crowded as it was, did you have to wait long for rides?

We had express pass, so we didn't wait for anything.

I'm here finally.

YAY !!!

The villa you stayed in looks bigger than my first apartment. We had to climb on the bed to get DS in his crib. The pool looked very nice too not that I ever spend any time at the pool on vacation.

It was bigger than my patio home that I had before we bought the house we are in now. Definitely over 1200 SF. Very spacious.

Loved the monorail boy. Isn't amazing that at one minute the are all grown up and the next can be silly again. My grandson is like that. I understand the picture thing. I have more pictures of my grandson's hand or the back of his head.

Exactly what we experience when trying to get photos. Or the middle finger. TURD!!

Universal looks like it was much busier than the day we went. I didn't do many rides the day we were there. Skipped all of the Harry Potter rides. Now I think I am glad I did. I did love the butterbeer but Jim and I shared it so I guess that helped. Wish I had needed the rest room would have loved to experience Moaning Myrtle. I am a bit of a Harry Potter fan. Also love how Nathan is ahead of you in all the pictures.

It was crazy busy and the walkways there are narrower than Disney. We were happy to have our express passes for sure.

Be glad you had the scooter there. I tried to tough it out the one day at Universal and I was dragging my leg by the end of the day. It is lot more walking than I expected. My ankle did swell up but I had my Aleve.

Even with the scooter, I needed a pain pill at night. Mine hurt really bad at the end of the day.

I think I am caught up now.

It really looks like a great pool area... :thumbsup2

It was really neat.

Probably worth the expense. I've done 1 day trips both with and without express pass. You don't really need it if it isn't crowded, but if there is much of a crowd it is well worthwhile to have it so that you can get through everything you want to do. If it saves you a day, it pays for itself, IMO. :confused3

We liked the park and had a good day, but I don't know that I would spend that much money to go there again. I might do it and go during a slow time and same the express pass money.

Oh!!! The queue is the best part!!! :rolleyes1

I bet that it is, but not having to wait in line for an hour won that day.

full disclosure... not a Harry Potter fan. Never seen a single movie or read a book.

I have seen the movies. They are really cool.

You're missing out. Love, Love, Love the Hulk.

I have to really be in the right mood to ride thode rides. DS really enjoyed it, though.

Well, the on property express pass is supposed to be unlimited use, but the purchased one is supposed to be once per ride. Maybe he just got some Universal "pixie dust?" :confused3

I dunno. No one said anything to us about only riding once, but I read that in my research. DS rode Hulk and Dragon Challenge several times in a row.

I agree... Maybe if I'd seen the movies I'd get it? :confused3

You definitely would. I suggest an HP marathon ....

Nathan likes that finger to???? Jay has never done it to me but does to his mom all the time.

Nathan likes that finger to???? Jay has never done it to me but does to his mom all the time.

Yes, sometimes I want to break it off. He just does it in jest - never seriously. He knows his limits - for now ...

Yes, sometimes I want to break it off. He just does it in jest - never seriously. He knows his limits - for now ...

Teen age boys. Have to love them. Jay does it in jest also. To be fair he and his mother have a relationship that is unique.

Day 2 – Part Three.

After our mediocre food, we went out to explore the park some more. DS decided not to ride any scary coaster so soon after lunch so we stuck together.

It was pretty crowded and I was tired at this point so I didn’t take many photos, sorry. I “borrowed” a few from the internet.

We headed over to the Superheros section and it was pretty packed.

DH and DS rode the Spiderman ride.

The line was over an hour so the express pass came in handy for this one. They said they really liked the ride.

While they were riding I got DD some dippin dots ice cream.

We wandered around looking for things to do and pretty much all that was left was water rides. I didn’t want to get my walking boot wet and I couldn’t take it off, so I passed on those.

We headed over to the comic section and DD explored Olive’s ship.

The Bilge Rat ride was down, but they were saying that it would be running soon, so we waited. DH and DD got on the first boat and got a little wet.

DS and I waited. This ride is very similar to Kali River Rapids.

On the way out, we got DD a fluffy unicorn.

You know, the one from Despicable Me - it's so fluffy !!!

We had also gotten her a Thing 1 shirt earlier in the day.

After that, we were ready to head back to the resort. This was about 3:30 PM. The park was getting really crowded and DD wanted to swim.

We went back and hung out by the pool and DD swam and swam. The weather was so pretty.

DH and I wanted to go to Bonefish Grill for dinner. The kids didn’t so we agreed to pick them up some Chik-fil-a on the way back.

DH and I got ready and went out to dinner by ourselves for the first time in forever.

I just love the food here. The Bang-Bang shrimp is the best stuff ever!!

I had salmon and DH had grouper, I think and we really had a nice dinner. We got Chik-fil-a for the kids and everyone was happy.

We settled in for sleep. Disney tomorrow-finally !!!

What a fun day!!!
Spiderman is really a great ride, very well done!
We weren't big fans of the frozen butterbeer at all. I wanted to like it, but yeah, it's too sweet. Now the regular version was much better in my opinion, but I know most people like the frozen better.
Claire and Skip rode the Bilge Rat and got soaked to the bone. It was pretty funny! I changed Claire's clothes but I didn't bring along extra underwear so she had to wear wet underwear under her new skirt. LOL.

What a fun day!!!
Spiderman is really a great ride, very well done!

DH and DS really enjoyed it. I am kicking myself - with my good foot - for not trying it.

We weren't big fans of the frozen butterbeer at all. I wanted to like it, but yeah, it's too sweet. Now the regular version was much better in my opinion, but I know most people like the frozen better.

I had read that as well that most people like the frozen so that is why we picked it. It was OK. I was glad we tried it.

Claire and Skip rode the Bilge Rat and got soaked to the bone. It was pretty funny! I changed Claire's clothes but I didn't bring along extra underwear so she had to wear wet underwear under her new skirt. LOL.

This is why I don't ever want to ride those kinds of rides. I hate wet underpants!! Plus, I couldn't get that stupid walking boot wet.

Awesome update, Susan! Those shrimp look fantastic!! :thumbsup2 Are they spicy?

They do have a kick to them. They are sooo good. Bonefish Grill is a national chain - do you not have one near you? If you do have one close by, I highly recommend it!!

DH and DS rode the Spiderman ride.
He didn't want to ride a coaster after lunch, but was ok with this??? :eek: :sick:

Looks like a fun day at the Dark Side. Too bad you didn't get to go over to the other park. I'm sure your DS would have loved the Mummy and Rip Ride Rockit.

He didn't want to ride a coaster after lunch, but was ok with this??? :eek: :sick:

Looks like a fun day at the Dark Side. Too bad you didn't get to go over to the other park. I'm sure your DS would have loved the Mummy and Rip Ride Rockit.

I didn't ride so I didn't know how intense it was. I am assuming it didn't go upside down .... I am sure he would have loved those other coasters!!

I didn't ride so I didn't know how intense it was. I am assuming it didn't go upside down .... I am sure he would have loved those other coasters!!

No, it doesn't go upside down. It is similar to Harry Potter in the sense that you move from room to room through ride scenes watching 3D movie clips, but you're inside a car that rocks and jostles with the action on the screen. I'll take a rollercoaster over something like that on a full stomach, any time! :lmao:

No, it doesn't go upside down. It is similar to Harry Potter in the sense that you move from room to room through ride scenes watching 3D movie clips, but you're inside a car that rocks and jostles with the action on the screen. I'll take a rollercoaster over something like that on a full stomach, any time! :lmao:

I hear ya. I can only ride Star Tours if I take a motion sickness med :sick::sick: So if it were the same thing - yeah - no.

Day 3 – Part One

We slept in – until about 9AM. We called and checked out and thank goodness that was OK. Did not want to get caught in the sales push again. We got packed and arrived at Old Key West around 10:30 AM to check in.

Our room wasn’t ready, so we headed over to Downtown Disney. DD had a gift card burning a hole in her pocket.

She loves Build-a Bear and they had one at T-Rex, but it was Build a Dino. So we went there. Because she needed another stuffed animal to add to the 2,345 she already has. I exaggerate, but you get the idea.

We went in and she got the dino she wanted.

It was really cute and she got two dresses for it as well.

Then we went to the Lego Store.

Where she got a couple of small Lego sets.

And since we spent a certain amount, we got this one free.

I love the girlie lego stuff. My only questions is …why did it take them so long??

Anyway, at this point, DD had pretty much tapped out her spending allowance. Yes, on the first day – in the first couple of hours in fact.

We met back up with the boys and headed over to our usual for lunch. I always say I am going to try something different, but I always go back to our old standby.

Wolfgang Puck’s because I believe it is the best counter service value in Disney. COUNTER SERVICE y’all!!!

You order at the counter and then get a number.

You take it to your table and then a waiter brings your food. They will get you refills as well. We always get the same thing because when we find something that works, we stick with it.

DH and I split the Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf and as always it was delicious.
Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf - mashed potatoes, port wine sauce and crispy onion rings $15

I always take the bacon off my portion because I just prefer it without. The rest is very yummy though. The onion straws are particularly amazing.

The meatloaf is really good and the port wine sauce adds a nice element to the dish. It is much better than gravy, I think. We share this because it is plenty for two people. Plus, if we share a meal each time we eat, we can extend out dining credits and get more out of our plan.

We got the cheesecake for dessert.

Vanilla Bean Cheesecake $5

I love this cheesecake. It has a crème brulee like crust on top and the cheesecake itself is light and very creamy. It isn’t heavy and dense like some cheesecakes are. Not that that is a bad thing …. This one is just really good.

The kids each got a chicken tenders platter

Crispy Chicken Tenders and French Fries $12

These are your basic Disney chicken tenders. Good and crispy and kid friendly. They give them plenty, so no one left hungry.

DD got a brownie for dessert

DS got a sugar cookie which he scarfed down before I could take a photo.

This is a place I highly recommend. They seem to have an excellent breakfast menu as well, but we never seem to make it over there for breakfast.

One of my besties, Pixie Princess here on the Dis sent me a Facebook message asking if I would buy her a pin.

So we stopped at the pin shop there to see if they had it.

They did!!

Pin purchased for bestie.

I admit that I really miss this parade as I am certain she does as well and that is why she wanted the pin. I like the Main Street Electrical parade, but not as much as I liked Spectromagic.

At this point we had received our test that our room was ready – YAY!!

Room photos coming up!!

That dino is too cute!

Yay for OKW! I will be there two weeks from now and can't wait! :thumbsup2 Glad you escaped your first resort before the timeshare pitch!

Lunch looks delish! I've heard that the meatloaf is amazing.

That dino is too cute!

Yay for OKW! I will be there two weeks from now and can't wait! :thumbsup2 Glad you escaped your first resort before the timeshare pitch!

We love it. Booked again for September.

Lunch looks delish! I've heard that the meatloaf is amazing.

It is sooo good. Get you some!!

I do love Chick Fil A, but there's no way I would pick that over Bang-Bang Shrimp at Bonefish Grill! Silly children....but saved you some cash!

DS didn't want to be Thing 2?

I agree that WPE is the best value of any counter service restaurant in Disney. That meatloaf looks delish and the pizza is so good there, too.

The girly lego stuff is really cute. I think my girls would have enjoyed them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter