Change in pricing for people over 9 ordering from kids menus

They sure are,it’s tolerated at home and then they expect the rest of the world to tolerate it as well.

The autism parents can calm down I’m not talking about you.but using that as a reason why you do this when he’s 10 is fine but do you expect all restaurants to allow this even when he is 50.
...and people with sensory issues, feeding issues, adhd, drug/taste bud interactions, recovering from gastro issues, allergy restrictions, post gastric surgery, etc, etc, etc...

I wonder what would happen if I went in, ordered a meal for myself, and a children's meal for my invisible grandson? Would they give me the children's meal at the regular price, because I bought my own meal, or would they attempt to charge me ala carte for the kids meal?

Maybe I found amp up this request for a children's meal by speaking to my invisible grandson who is sitting in an empty chair? After all, no one wants to get into an argument with a crazy person...

What's so funny Denise W? People are just stating that they can't eat adult menus for whatever reason, and that kids of 10 can't either. Some have medical problems that affect how much they eat too. Can't see what' so funny everytime someone says something like that.
I don't like that the laugh emoji is used a lot as an insult to the poster. Wish they have another one besides that laugh emoji.
Agree. Turns out my friend's chronically underweight "picky eater" actually had an eating disorder that went undiagnosed until she was an adult. She has been getting treatment and has made huge improvement in her diet and her weight.

You never know what's going on in someone's life that leads to the choices they make and I don't understand this need for people to belittle or ridicule others just to, idk, feel superior I guess?

My adult daughter is disabled. She could eat a lot but we try to limit her intake. We usually just order her a salad and appetizer or we share an entree. She sometimes complains about sharing. It’s her choice. Just a salad or sharing. My husband doesn’t eat much and prefers soup and salad. Often the appetizers are a lot more interesting than entrees anyway.

We are at Skippers Canteen and just ordered the child portion steak for my 15 year old. I was told they’ve made a change to pricing and that for anyone over 9 ordering from the kids menu, they will charge you separately for each item of the meal, entree, sides, drink ect. I’m really disappointed with this change because we chose several restaurants knowing my son would prefer the kids menu to the adult menu because he doesn’t have an exotic palate. Disney really is out to wring every dollar they can out of people.
A heads up would have been a nice idea.

We are at Skippers Canteen and just ordered the child portion steak for my 15 year old. I was told they’ve made a change to pricing and that for anyone over 9 ordering from the kids menu, they will charge you separately for each item of the meal, entree, sides, drink ect. I’m really disappointed with this change because we chose several restaurants knowing my son would prefer the kids menu to the adult menu because he doesn’t have an exotic palate. Disney really is out to wring every dollar they can out of people.
Thank you, tinkerbelletreasure, for letting us know.
I hope they do print it on the menu, as someone upthread said, so people know before they order. It is a reasonable thing, better than just denying everyone over 9 from ordering from kid's menu. Just print it on the menu, so people know. And they will still need servers to tell people, because people don't read, and think they already know everything and many of us have decided on orders, etc. before even traveling.
I'm sorry it was an unpleasant unknown for you. I hope your trip was good.

Last edited:
Wonder how they will police the to go orders from TS places?

I think it is just a matter of time before no food and drinks will be allowed in the parks.

Since I didn’t realize that restaurants don’t have as big of a markup on “kid’s” meals (I guarantee Disney is not losing money on them but acknowledge that their profit margin is smaller), I suppose I can’t argue on the concept of charging “what they would charge if this was an adult entree” , making it still a good value because they are much smaller portion sizes. I would imagine it affects 2 general groups of people: those older kids and adults that are super picky or require very bland choices and those who like small portion sizes and are happy with the kids meal options. I’d imagine that most people who just want a small portion size might gravitate to the appetizer section (I’ve done that before) because the options are so much better. Quick service is a little different and a lot of times the kids version is just a smaller version of the adult entree. I don’t imagine they will ever prohibit adults from buying kids meals at quick service locations because they could never police it.

Me and my husband will split a meal most of the time at sit down places. Wonder when they will forbid that?

My guess (so take it for the 2 cents it is worth) is that at worst they will institute a sharing charge as many restaurants do. In my experience it's usually fairly nominal and isn't charged if one person orders an appetizer or salad for their entree and the other orders an actual entree. I've never been charged a sharing charge if sitting at the bar area in a restaurant no matter what we order, but that's just been my experience outside Disney. It will be interesting at the very least to see if they address this as well as they do seem to be trying to close any "loophole" they see where people may be able to save a few $$$.

My guess (so take it for the 2 cents it is worth) is that at worst they will institute a sharing charge as many restaurants do. In my experience it's usually fairly nominal and isn't charged if one person orders an appetizer or salad for their entree and the other orders an actual entree. I've never been charged a sharing charge if sitting at the bar area in a restaurant no matter what we order, but that's just been my experience outside Disney. It will be interesting at the very least to see if they address this as well as they do seem to be trying to close any "loophole" they see where people may be able to save a few $$$.
This is just absolute greed.

Disney can settle this issue by making all their TS locations prix fixe. Some will be buffet, some family style and some you pick your 3 course items. I don't think it will hurt them especially if they keep a decent price point.

For those that think it's too much food or too expensive, QS is still a good option.

Me and my husband will split a meal most of the time at sit down places. Wonder when they will forbid that?
Many restaurants charge a "plate" charge when guests do that. Not usually casual restaurants but it is not unheard of.

And some do not allow sharing at all.

Wonder how they will police the to go orders from TS places?

I think it is just a matter of time before no food and drinks will be allowed in the parks.
Not sure how many TS restaurants at Disney offer to go, especially in the parks. BUT the fact that you are not tying up a table while ordering minimal food is not an issue in this case. What they could do not offer kid's meals to go.

I don't think food brought in makes any kind of dent in their profits.

Last edited:
Disney can settle this issue by making all their TS locations prix fixe. Some will be buffet, some family style and some you pick your 3 course items. I don't think it will hurt them especially if they keep a decent price point.

For those that think it's too much food or too expensive, QS is still a good option.

Many restaurants charge a "plate" charge when guests do that. Not usually casual restaurants but it is not unheard of.

And some do not allow sharing at all.

Not sure how many TS restaurants at Disney offer to go, especially in the parks. BUT the fact that you are not tying up a table while ordering minimal food is not an issue in this case. What they could do not offer kid's meals to go.

I don't think food brought in makes any kind of dent in their profits.
Look at this guy, trying to get Chapek’s job. It brings a tear to a shareholders eye.

Disney might impose a plate (sharing) fee. Restaurants might go to some kind of price fixed hybrid where everyone at the table is required to order.

Disney might impose a plate (sharing) fee. Restaurants might go to some kind of price fixed hybrid where everyone at the table is required to order.
I have heard of such before. I eat 95% CS meals. Mostly kids meals or me and my husband share an adult meal.

I wonder if they will or could ever target CS meals. 🤔

My husband and I sit on the same side of the table. He orders a full meal. I order a small salad as my 'main' as I'm not a big eater. He does share discretely as to avoid the dreaded 'shared plate ' surcharge. (At Bayou Anaheim the shared plate charge was $15 at one time... No thank you)

Think if you are ordering mobile , Children's plate would be no problem. It's the 'sit down' service surcharges that are so dang irritating.

Our local Harbor now charges an extra 9% 'harbor tax" if you dine waterside on top of state and local taxes. Grrrrr...

My husband and I sit on the same side of the table. He orders a full meal. I order a small salad as my 'main' as I'm not a big eater. He does share discretely as to avoid the dreaded 'shared plate ' surcharge. (At Bayou Anaheim the shared plate charge was $15 at one time... No thank you)

Think if you are ordering mobile , Children's plate would be no problem. It's the 'sit down' service surcharges that are so dang irritating.

Our local Harbor now charges an extra 9% 'harbor tax" if you dine waterside on top of state and local taxes. Grrrrr...
This is why places like CG and BOG went prix fix and more probably will....especially if the economy averts a large scale recession. I could also see them do something like a min spend per seat. We saw this at quite a few places in Chicago during the pandemic...when outdoor ressies were high demand. I don't think they'd ever do this across the board at all TS restaurants. But I could see it at the 2nd tier that are still high demand, but don't quite warrant a prix fix. Honestly I'd personally be fine with that. It would make ressies easier to get.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter