• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Change in pricing for people over 9 ordering from kids menus

They could just eliminate kids menus altogether and just offer everything "a la carte" and you order based on size.

You want a chicken tenders meal? Then you have the option of 2 for $4.99, 4 for $6.99 or 6 for $8.99. Do you want to add fries? A small order is another $3.99 and a large is $5.99.

At the steakhouse, you can order a 6oz portion for $XX.99, 8oz for $XX.99+ $3 or a 12oz for $XX.99 + $5. Add on your sides....$4.99 for a small, $6.99 for a large....

You get the idea....Everyone orders based on the size of the portions they want. If you want to share, order larger portions and share. If you're not too hungry, order smaller portions. Kids can order smaller portions of "adult" food...Adults can order smaller portions of "kids" food.

The biggest hurdle would be getting Disney's IT to be able to handle the multitude of customizations and pricing structures.

They could just eliminate kids menus altogether and just offer everything "a la carte" and you order based on size.

You want a chicken tenders meal? Then you have the option of 2 for $4.99, 4 for $6.99 or 6 for $8.99. Do you want to add fries? A small order is another $3.99 and a large is $5.99.

At the steakhouse, you can order a 6oz portion for $XX.99, 8oz for $XX.99+ $3 or a 12oz for $XX.99 + $5. Add on your sides....$4.99 for a small, $6.99 for a large....

You get the idea....Everyone orders based on the size of the portions they want. If you want to share, order larger portions and share. If you're not too hungry, order smaller portions. Kids can order smaller portions of "adult" food...Adults can order smaller portions of "kids" food.

The biggest hurdle would be getting Disney's IT to be able to handle the multitude of customizations and pricing structures.
While this makes sense in a normal environment, I doubt they would ever do this as their per seat revenue would decline . Disney makes more money if you order 6 for $8.99 and throw 4 away vs ordering 2 and paying $4.99. I'd guess a chicken tender costs Disney next to nothing. Demand per seat is pretty constant. If they offered a 2 for $4.99 it's not like 3x the people would buy it. They only have so many seats per day. Using your example, if they ever did this they would skew pricing to make the most expensive look like the "best deal". I think they'd price a menu like this as 2 for $6.99, 4 for $7.99 or 6 for $8.99.

I was always of the impression that being able to order a kids meal at a Disney TS was a convenience, not a expectation. Once it does, it sets a entitlement with some people.

Order a kids meal for a over 9 year old if you wish, but don't be so surprised if they then charge you more. They are under no obligation to let you pay the kids price.

While this makes sense in a normal environment, I doubt they would ever do this as their per seat revenue would decline . Disney makes more money if you order 6 for $8.99 and throw 4 away vs ordering 2 and paying $4.99. I'd guess a chicken tender costs Disney next to nothing. Demand per seat is pretty constant. If they offered a 2 for $4.99 it's not like 3x the people would buy it. They only have so many seats per day. Using your example, if they ever did this they would skew pricing to make the most expensive look like the "best deal". I think they'd price a menu like this as 2 for $6.99, 4 for $7.99 or 6 for $8.99.
Agreed. It would never be directly proportional by size (for example steak ounces).

A 6 oz filet at a random fast casual Outback is $24.49 (so $4.09 an ounce) and 9 oz is $29.49 ($3.27 and ounce). At a nicer steakhouse the petit filet will be slightly less expensive. Every restaurant has an idea how much each seat should generate.

Most restaurants do not let someone older than their kid's meal age order from the kid's meal.
Most restaurants allow it, unless the entire party is doing it. You get some exceptions in very high end places, but 99% of Disney restaurants do not fall into that category.

Most of you seem to be missing the point. Regardless of what any individual deems "fair", the reality is they never batted an eye at anyone over 9 ordering a kids meal in the past. And this company is literally posting record revenue and profits in the theme parks. So there is no pressing need to make a change like this.

Most restaurants allow it, unless the entire party is doing it. You get some exceptions in very high end places, but 99% of Disney restaurants do not fall into that category.
I was not talking about Disney restaurants in that comment. I was stating that if you weren't on Disney property then it is not something that commonly happens. Folks are holding Disney to a different industry standard and honestly if Disney wants go with the industry, I don't see the outrage.

I understand why some want to do it, I have an adult child who is disabled and food can be an issue at times, I myself am often not that hungry ... but I have no issue with Disney if the decide to move away from the practice. It is up to us to find a TS that will work for our needs.

If only! Sounds wonderful, but sadly I don't see it happening...

Here's a thought to ponder - if the ala carte/Sr. or smaller menu idea was implemented, would tables turn more quickly? After all, less food to eat, shorter meal time, quicker table turn; so would the revenue stream remain largely the same?

Or maybe offer that menu option during non-peak times of the day to smooth out the cycle? So many options. I just get tired of people bi#$#$# about fat people and the cost of the obesity epidemic, but then trying to justify such large portions, or charging a premium for a smaller portion.

Disney can settle this issue by making all their TS locations prix fixe. Some will be buffet, some family style and some you pick your 3 course items. I don't think it will hurt them especially if they keep a decent price point.

For those that think it's too much food or too expensive, QS is still a good option.

Many restaurants charge a "plate" charge when guests do that. Not usually casual restaurants but it is not unheard of.

And some do not allow sharing at all.

Not sure how many TS restaurants at Disney offer to go, especially in the parks. BUT the fact that you are not tying up a table while ordering minimal food is not an issue in this case. What they could do not offer kid's meals to go.

I don't think food brought in makes any kind of dent in their profits.
The prix fixe style stinks for folks with kids. Having to pay 40 bucks (or whatever charge) for my 3 year old to eat a handful of strawberries is great for Disneys profits but not for much else.

Most of you seem to be missing the point. Regardless of what any individual deems "fair", the reality is they never batted an eye at anyone over 9 ordering a kids meal in the past. And this company is literally posting record revenue and profits in the theme parks. So there is no pressing need to make a change like this.
Consistency might be nice. Sometimes it's allowed, sometimes it's not. Sometimes they adjust the price and bring more of the "kids" food, sometimes not. Exceptions may be pixie dust given by the cast member, but like most things, over time, people assume pixie dust means they're entitled to it. It would be a better experience if they would stick to something. As we can see from the replies in this thread, it can create a bad taste (no pun intended... ok maybe pun intended) in guests mouths. The reality is they HAVE batted an eye at folks ordering off the kids menu (TS), denied, or adjusted price seemingly randomly. I've experienced it, as have many others here.

Consistency might be nice. Sometimes it's allowed, sometimes it's not. Sometimes they adjust the price and bring more of the "kids" food, sometimes not. Exceptions may be pixie dust given by the cast member, but like most things, over time, people assume pixie dust means they're entitled to it. It would be a better experience if they would stick to something. As we can see from the replies in this thread, it can create a bad taste (no pun intended... ok maybe pun intended) in guests mouths. The reality is they HAVE batted an eye at folks ordering off the kids menu (TS), denied, or adjusted price seemingly randomly. I've experienced it, as have many others here.
Some of it is that not all restaurants at WDW, even in the parks, are actually run by Disney and may have their own policies.

I was not talking about Disney restaurants in that comment. I was stating that if you weren't on Disney property then it is not something that commonly happens. Folks are holding Disney to a different industry standard and honestly if Disney wants go with the industry, I don't see the outrage.

I understand why some want to do it, I have an adult child who is disabled and food can be an issue at times, I myself am often not that hungry ... but I have no issue with Disney if the decide to move away from the practice. It is up to us to find a TS that will work for our needs.
Absolutely not true. I was speaking not only of Disney restaurants. Most restaurants outside of Disney will allow someone over their child age to order a child's meal. I happen to eat with some light eaters at times and I have seen this done countless times and never has it been an issue. As I said, in some high end places I would expect this to possibly be different, but we have never had an issue. Or if everyone in the party were ordering child's meals, then maybe. But one or two in party? As a practical matter the industry standard is to not hassle customers over this.

As somebody else pointed out, hopefully you are differentiating between Disney and non-Disney. And in the original poster's case, park and non-park.

But even then, we have eaten hundreds of meals in WDW and DLR and the vast majority included one or two of our party member's ordering off the 9 and under menu and not one single time has an eye been batted. But maybe in this one area we have been lucky beyond winning Lotto odds.

Or, if the entire party or most of the party is doing it, maybe that's the issue, which I would fully understand.

Buffets are of course an exception, but then we have never even asked to get the kids price for anyone over 9. They have charged us a kids price for a child over 9 on their own, but never have we asked.

Absolutely not true. I was speaking not only of Disney restaurants. Most restaurants outside of Disney will allow someone over their child age to order a child's meal. I happen to eat with some light eaters at times and I have seen this done countless times and never has it been an issue. As I said, in some high end places I would expect this to possibly be different, but we have never had an issue. Or if everyone in the party were ordering child's meals, then maybe. But one or two in party? As a practical matter the industry standard is to not hassle customers over this.
Not in our area and def not in our second home area. It is usually 9 and under, a random will go to 12. If you don't want a full meal they offer appetizers and sides. I know because I have an adult son who is disabled and would much rather have the kid's meals. We have had them do the kids food as an adult platter at an adult price.

That is great that you have been allowed to order off the kid's meals, but there is no reason for a restaurant to allow it. Restaurants have numbers to hit and they figure their prices out based on estimates of how many kids/adults will take up seats. The bottom line if adults keep ordering kid's meals or splitting meals .... the prices will go up. Disney is at that point obviously since they a la carte charged the OP. Where it goes who knows but their prices will have a breaking point and the reason they are going up is this situation - just like BOG went to prix fixe because guests were not ordering enough food to meet the numbers.

Not in our area and def not in our second home area. It is usually 9 and under, a random will go to 12. If you don't want a full meal they offer appetizers and sides. I know because I have an adult son who is disabled and would much rather have the kid's meals. We have had them do the kids food as an adult platter at an adult price.

That is great that you have been allowed to order off the kid's meals, but there is no reason for a restaurant to allow it. Restaurants have numbers to hit and they figure their prices out based on estimates of how many kids/adults will take up seats. The bottom line if adults keep ordering kid's meals or splitting meals .... the prices will go up. Disney is at that point obviously since they a la carte charged the OP. Where it goes who knows but their prices will have a breaking point and the reason they are going up is this situation - just like BOG went to prix fixe because guests were not ordering enough food to meet the numbers.
Maybe its all in how you go about it.

And you don't need to make up financial excuses for Disney. They have been allowing this for decades and their park profits are going nowhere but up. Nothing has changed recently other than Disney setting revenue and profit records for the parks. No breaking point has been reached.

I was always of the impression that being able to order a kids meal at a Disney TS was a convenience, not a expectation. Once it does, it sets a entitlement with some people.

Order a kids meal for a over 9 year old if you wish, but don't be so surprised if they then charge you more. They are under no obligation to let you pay the kids price.

Problem is every single Disney travel blog out there tells people to do this exact thing to save money.

Maybe its all in how you go about it.
You have your experience and I have mine, and really no need to make assumptions. I'm not making any assumptions about how you present yourself to get a kid's meal. :confused3

And you don't need to make up financial excuses for Disney. They have been allowing this for decades and their park profits are going nowhere but up.
Excuses are ... folks giving reasons why they shouldn't have to pay for an adult meal.

We parked for free at hotels for decades, no more.
We got FP free for decades, no more.
Stuff changes.
Chapek is monetizing everything.

Nothing has changed recently other than Disney setting revenue and profit records for the parks. No breaking point has been reached.
LOTS HAS CHANGED! This is Chapek's Disney and he doesn't plan on leaving money on the table or letting guests wiggle out of paying for stuff. We have no idea what their breaking point is, but I can certainly see this being one. We are talking here because guests are experiencing changes.

Dining at TS restaurants is optional. Don't eat in them. Hotels are not optional. I don't want to pay the same as a family of four in a hotel room for DS and I. We use less water, less towels, less seats on the bus ... I can't get a discount.

It's not something I want to continue to banter. This is all your opinion, my opinion and neither matter only what Disney is trying to do. Plenty of places to get some food, we all find those that work for us.

The prix fixe style stinks for folks with kids. Having to pay 40 bucks (or whatever charge) for my 3 year old to eat a handful of strawberries is great for Disneys profits but not for much else.
But if guests continue to take up tables and try to reduce their bill by eating children's meals or sharing meals then Chapek Disney at some point may make changes. I was just suggesting some ways they might do it on top of what OP experienced.

Look at BOG. Guests abused the system so it got changed to prix fixe. Still a busy restaurant and that is all they need to see. It didn't hurt them.

Problem is every single Disney travel blog out there tells people to do this exact thing to save money.
Remember when every blog told you to order just a bun for 50 cents at quick serve with double burgers? Yup, Disney caught on and stopped it. Was great for 50 cents you got another burger and with the fixins' bars a sweet meal. Folks even made FREE salads from the fixins' bars. I doubt they will be back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter