Celebrating birthdays 3 months later?

Anyone who says they don't wear a button for attention is kidding themselves. Why else would you wear one and announce your birthday to complete strangers?

People have already explained it. I'm not "kidding myself" just because you don't feel the same way.

Your family knows the trip is in honor of your birthday, no need to remind them. I'd assume it's not because you want little holes in your shirt. I also don't think it's because you want all your vacation pictures to include a silly looking pin. I don't know about anyone else, but Disney is my happy place so I don't need to look down at a piece of metal to remind myself to have a great time.

Actually, I do like having the pin in my pictures. It distinguishes this trip from others, as this is the only one that we have celebrated my birthday at Disney.

Disney is my happy place as well. No one said anything about "needing to look down at a piece of metal to remind myself to have a good time."

Why else do you want to wear one when it's not your birthday???

Because I was celebrating my birthday a few *days* early, on a day that I could celebrate *with my husband*, as that was not possible on my actual birthday.

Seriously. Has no one else ever celebrated their birthday on a day that wasn't their actual day? Your birthday has *never* been on a Tuesday and you waited until Friday or Saturday to go out to celebrate because it wasn't convenient during the week? You *never* had a party as a child that wasn't on the actual day? You've never *hosted* a party for your child on a day that wasn't on their actual birthday? If wearing a pin for oneself and not expecting anything is attention seeking, then what is sending out invitations requesting people's presence to a party where gifts are generally given to the child on a day that's not their *actual* birthday?

Has no one ever celebrated holidays with family that weren't on the actual holiday? I don't know about anyone else, but we don't live near DD's grandparents at all, and the 2 sets of grandparents live in completely opposite directions. We can't physically spend the actual day with both families. So we end up celebrating with one set of grandparents on a day that's not the actual holiday. You *never* posted pictures on FB of a holiday celebration that didn't happen on the holiday?

The amount of judgment going around for people who dare to put on a birthday button a few *days* away from their birthday is absolutely astounding to me.

Because it's fun.
Because it's free.
Because you are, in fact, CELEBRATING your birthday on that day or days (b/c that's the ONLY thing Disney cares about....that you are *celebrating* it, not that it is the exact moment you showed up on the planet).
Because you were given it and what else should you do with it?
Because in those pictures it's a great way to remind yourself when you're 85 that you were there one of of the other birthday-celebrating moments in your life.

There is NO guarantee that a single other person will notice it. There is therefore NO guarantee that you will get even a smidgen of attention. An attention-seeker won't take that gamble. So it's not always attention-seeking to wear something that Disney will give you, for free, if you are celebrating your birthday.

Because it's fun.
Because it's free.
Because you are, in fact, CELEBRATING your birthday on that day or days (b/c that's the ONLY thing Disney cares about....that you are *celebrating* it, not that it is the exact moment you showed up on the planet).
Because you were given it and what else should you do with it?
Because in those pictures it's a great way to remind yourself when you're 85 that you were there one of of the other birthday-celebrating moments in your life.

There is NO guarantee that a single other person will notice it. There is therefore NO guarantee that you will get even a smidgen of attention. An attention-seeker won't take that gamble. So it's not always attention-seeking to wear something that Disney will give you, for free, if you are celebrating your birthday.

Thank you! :thumbsup2

Anyone who says they don't wear a button for attention is kidding themselves. Why else would you wear one and announce your birthday to complete strangers?

Your family knows the trip is in honor of your birthday, no need to remind them. I'd assume it's not because you want little holes in your shirt. I also don't think it's because you want all your vacation pictures to include a silly looking pin. I don't know about anyone else, but Disney is my happy place so I don't need to look down at a piece of metal to remind myself to have a great time.

Yep. Totally agree with this. I think there are a few folks missing the point here. Nobody cares when you choose to celebrate. Day of, month of, doesn't matter. It's the public display of that celebration that many find odd. Ironically, I had a discussion with a coworker this morning about this very topic. I mentioned that we were going to WDW in February and she said I should put my son's birthday on the reservation. I told her his birthday is not until July, but she said, "just tell them you're celebrating it now...we always do that and we get free desserts every time". I realize a few have mentioned that they do no expect any attention/free goodies whatsoever, but I think the majority of the folks do. Just read the trip reports and dining reviews and you will find quite a few people upset that their "special" occasion was not properly recognized.

I wonder if Disney started charging money for the buttons, how many people would still feel the need to wear them. Let's say they cost $7.00. I'm willing to bet you would see less people wearing them. I think the "free" aspect has a lot to do with the mass consumption.

One final note...we are giving this trip to my son for Christmas, however when we arrive in February, we will not be wearing "merry Christmas" buttons.

And just another note because I want to stay engaged in the topic, but my daughters birthday is today and we had her party on 11/1, on 11/27 (our first day there) we are taking her to eat at CRT for her birthday lunch and she will be wearing a birthday button.

My birthday is on 12/5 and on 12/4 my wife and I are going to Victoria & Alberts to celebrate my birthday and guess what I am going to wear.......no, not a button; a sport-coat. But the only reason I won't wear a button is because it won't match my sport-coat.

Love this! Have a fabulous dinner. :)

How about this... To anyone who likes the idea of wearing a It's My Birthday button when it isn't really... Would you go in to work and advertise it's your birthday 3 or 6 months after the fact? Have your workmates who know you ask "um isn't your birthday 8 months away?" and you say "yeah, it's not for 8 months but I'm celebrating it today". I'm guessing none of you who have done this at Disney World actually did this in the real world outside Disney.

Why? Simple. At Disney, no one knows you. You can celebrate anything you want, and no one will be the wiser. And at Disney, you get all sorts of special attention that if you did this in the real world people would be like "yeah ok whatever have fun with that!" No one would be mad, judge you, or even care. They would just think "yeah it's not your birthday, not even close what are you doing".

It's the public display of that celebration that many find odd.

Wearing the pin is no more public than going out to dinner for your birthday (a few days late or early) and having a birthday cake at the table, or waiters singing happy birthday to you. It's no more public than a husband sending his wife flowers at work for her birthday.

I realize a few have mentioned that they do no expect any attention/free goodies whatsoever, but I think the majority of the folks do.

And I, and others, have said that we absolutely acknowledge that other people do expect those things. I never said I agreed with them having that expectation, in fact in my first post in this thread I specifically said that *no one* should expect anything for wearing a button. So clearly I don't agree with that motivation.

I just don't appreciate being told that I *must* have the same motivations as they do. I don't.

How about this... To anyone who likes the idea of wearing a It's My Birthday button when it isn't really... Would you go in to work and advertise it's your birthday 3 or 6 months after the fact? Have your workmates who know you ask "um isn't your birthday 8 months away?" and you say "yeah, it's not for 8 months but I'm celebrating it today". I'm guessing none of you who have done this at Disney World actually did this in the real world outside Disney.

Most of the recent discussion has been people having a problem with celebrating the birthday even days away from the actual day.

As I said before - I've never worn a birthday button at Disney before this trip. I wouldn't wear a birthday button when I was months away from my birthday. I did with an anniversary button *once* because of extenuating circumstances that prevented DH and I from being together for months, a time period that happened to include our 1st anniversary. And yes, when people asked why were going away, we responded that we were celebrating our anniversary, since DH was gone over the actual day. It's odd, but you know, no one had a problem with it. Everyone was just glad he was back and that we could have some time together finally. We've missed anniversaries since, and have not done anything similar, because it *wasn't* done for a need for attention.

I don't take issue with the OP of this thread choosing to wear a birthday button because of their *specific* situation. They were supposed to be at WDW on the actual day, and circumstances outside their control took that away from them. I don't have any issue with someone in that circumstance celebrating when they're finally able to take the trip.

I love having the pictures with the silly buttons!! I almost mentioned that as a post.

Which buttons? The birthday buttons? ;)

Even more impressive, Mom. :thumbsup2

It doesn't say TODAY is my birthday any longer.

Old button:

TodayBirthday_zps195dc573.jpg

The new ones look like this:

Birthday-Button-225x300.jpg

Obviously Disney belatedly discovered what I had suspected all along: the majority of button wearers are "liars."

I'm sure they got rid of the "today" part because too many people were lying about it. I think it would be great if they still had both, but only gave the TODAY version to people who could prove that their actual birthday is that day.

Nah, too much trouble to have two different buttons. The generic "Happy Birthday" one covers both the true birthday people and the "guilty" ones.

I don't really care what other people do. In WDW, though, if all I see is a button, then I probably won't comment on it because I will assume it isn't actually your birthday.

That sums up my attitude about it too. Then again, I wouldn't comment even if it truly WAS someone's birthday.

I'm loving the continued convoluted justifications from a handful of posters who are protesting most vehemently. It's obvious that at some level, (perhaps from the hole in their dark black hearts, or whatever the phrase was), they realize what they're doing is "wrong."

But keep it coming.....it's been a blast.

Lots of differing opinions here so here's my two cents. If your birthday is within a week or two of your trip and you want to celebrate by wearing a button, go for it. If it is beyond that, ask yourself if you would still wear the button if it included your actual birth date. Would you wear a button in November that says "Celebrating my May 10 birthday"? How do you think people would react then? Would you wear mouse bridal ears years after you actually got married? There's certainly nothing wrong with doing what you want to do, but wearing a button is an open invitation to getting attention from others. You want the attention, go for it. By the way, what do you say if someone asks you when your birthday (or anniversary, etc.) actually is? Do you 'fess up?

I've actually done something similar, but a couple years ago my husband was deployed and I had the WORST birthday ever. I was alone in an apartment and for various reasons friends and family couldn't get together, then I got a surprise knock on the door, which when your husbands in Afghanistan makes you think he's dead on your birthday. So when he got back, we redid my birthday at a bar on my half birthday. The bartender called me out on it and then when we explained she didn't care. I would expect no one at Disney to judge once explained either.

I'm loving the continued convoluted justifications from a handful of posters who are protesting most vehemently. It's obvious that at some level, (perhaps from the hole in their dark black hearts, or whatever the phrase was), they realize what they're doing is "wrong."

Nope, I just don't like being called a liar for celebrating something a few days early that I was not able to celebrate with my husband on the actual day. I find it very difficult to believe that none of the "anti button" people have *never in their life* celebrated something in public (whether it be going out to a restaurant and waiters singing to you or having a birthday cake for dessert, or having a party thrown for you, or throwing a party for oneself or one's child, etc etc) on a day that wasn't their actual birthday.

But yes, the continued judgments on the character of those one doesn't know at all are certainly revealing.

Wearing the pin is no more public than going out to dinner for your birthday (a few days late or early) and having a birthday cake at the table, or waiters singing happy birthday to you. It's no more public than a husband sending his wife flowers at work for her birthday.

And I, and others, have said that we absolutely acknowledge that other people do expect those things. I never said I agreed with them having that expectation, in fact in my first post in this thread I specifically said that *no one* should expect anything for wearing a button. So clearly I don't agree with that motivation.

I just don't appreciate being told that I *must* have the same motivations as they do. I don't.

These are both very sweet examples of people going out of their way to recognize a customer/loved one for their birthday. That person had no control over the singing or sending of the flowers. That's very different than waking up in the morning and actively putting a button on your shirt to announce your special day. It does not affect my life in any way if people choose to do this, I just can't particularly relate to this behavior...

I'm not telling you that you have the same motivations as others. In fact, I've learned something new today. In the past, when I saw people (mainly adults) in the parks wearing birthday buttons, I assumed they were after a free dessert. Now I realize that folks like you wear them just because...totally fine with that.

We go out for birthday dinners all the time, rarely on the person's birthday. We had waiters bring out a cake and sing one time and that was on DD's actual birthday. Why do you want to make a spectacle of yourself if it's not your birthday? Flowers sent to work on your birthday is a wonderful gesture, but I've never seen anyone receive birthday flowers on a day that isn't their birthday.

I don't care how anyone chooses to celebrate, but any public celebration is done to call attention to yourself.

Nah, too much trouble to have two different buttons. The generic "Happy Birthday" one covers both the true birthday people and the "guilty" ones.
We put the date of my DD's birthday on the button and she only wore it that one day.
Nope, I just don't like being called a liar for celebrating something a few days early that I was not able to celebrate with my husband on the actual day. I find it very difficult to believe that none of the "anti button" people have *never in their life* celebrated something in public (whether it be going out to a restaurant and waiters singing to you or having a birthday cake for dessert, or having a party thrown for you, or throwing a party for oneself or one's child, etc etc) on a day that wasn't their actual birthday.
FWIW, I have no issue with you celebrating your birthday a few days early, or even a few weeks on either side of it. I also don't have a single problem with the OP celebrating her son's birthday 3 months later because of family emergency made them postpone the trip. My DH's birthday is in early December and we'll be at WDW 2 1/2 weeks later and it would never occur to us to "celebrate" when we're there. I honestly don't understand why people "celebrate" months and months later and the explanations just seem to be rationalizations for, as someone mentioned upthread, something they would never do IRL. I guess it will be one of those things I will never understand.

But yes, the continued judgments on the character of those one doesn't know at all are certainly revealing.
I don't like when people use the words "liar" and "cheat" and make moral judgments on others that act within Disney's rules. I'm sorry that other people are saying that about you :headache:.

We go out for birthday dinners all the time, rarely on the person's birthday. We had waiters bring out a cake and sing one time and that was on DD's actual birthday. Why do you want to make a spectacle of yourself if it's not your birthday? Flowers sent to work on your birthday is a wonderful gesture, but I've never seen anyone receive birthday flowers on a day that isn't their birthday.

I don't care how anyone chooses to celebrate, but any public celebration is done to call attention to yourself.

:thumbsup2 those are precisely examples of attention getting celebrations outside of Disney, the exact opposite of the point poster was trying to make. Not trying to be noticed? You wouldn't tell the waiter at a restaurant where they come out and sing to you. Not looking to be seen? (Or have your spouse be seen) bring flowers home, don't have them delivered to the office. Fun, wonderful, attention-getting gestures! Some people are saying attention-seeking is a negative thing; for your birthday, I'm neutral on it, I just can't get the vehement denials that public displays are in fact for the purpose of public notice.

I'm not telling you that you have the same motivations as others. In fact, I've learned something new today. In the past, when I saw people (mainly adults) in the parks wearing birthday buttons, I assumed they were after a free dessert. Now I realize that folks like you wear them just because...totally fine with that.

I appreciate that :)

Pins are a spectacle? Honestly, I just don't get that. I don't pay attention to what others are wearing in the parks, whether its clothes, accessories (which pins are) or mickey ears. It just isn't on my radar, and because of that I don't expect that anyone else is paying attention to mine either. :confused3.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter