Celebrating 20 years at WDW - Bonus features, A few posts from May, Updated 9/11

What a fun demo! Great that you got a recipe you liked so much.

That would have my attention too the name little fatty! Thank you for history.

Normally I would have just written off the demo like so many others, but somehow "Little Fatty" caught my eye. It's evidently quite a trendy restaurant, but we don't get out that way.

The food demo looks good. Nice chicken dish but holy moly is he going to serve some chicken with that oil! Sounds like it works though! He is the masterchef!

Sounds like a great event.

Yeah, normally that would be a lot of sesame oil, perhaps if I'd used more chicken it would have been OK.

Any pictures of the LE pins???

Yummy event! I'm impressed you make so many things at home. I wonder if it could be done with fish. Sounds like a tasty recipe.

At this point I don't remember which ones they are. When I get to pirates, I'll show the pins.

I don't think it would work with fish, too flaky. Chicken doesn't fall apart like fish does.

No! This is so unlike you!

:laughing:

I had never heard of Tervis. Had to Google.

I thought I might like it, but the rim of glass is too

No restrictions this time?

Well it could only be used for food, no alcohol, so even more restricted. That's California for you!

Yeah, I can see how that would get old pretty fast.

Yeah kind of like an exuberant talk show host.

How did it turn out at home vs what you had? (I get that you had too much oil)

It was still pretty good. Fran said we should have it again. And that's a pretty good compliment as I already have a few good Asian chicken recipes.

Nice. Otherwise it's tough to follow.

Yeah, they've been doing this for a while, Disney knows how to do it.

Never heard of that.

Until PIO told me to buy it, I hadn't either. I use it in a lot of things now. Especially when I'm making up a sauce on the fly, it gives a nice depth.

That sounds good. I have to remember it and make it when Michael is here this summer. Did you serve any veggies with it? I guess broccoli would go with it very well.

I love reading about all your little adventures! Thanks for posting about them!

I thought I might like it, but the rim of glass is too

The rim is too... what? What?? WHAT??????

OMG! SHE'S FALLEN AND SHE CAN'T GET UP!!!!

Well it could only be used for food, no alcohol, so even more restricted. That's California for you!

oh

Nevermind, then!

It was still pretty good. Fran said we should have it again. And that's a pretty good compliment as I already have a few good Asian chicken recipes.

Looks like I'm gonna have to try it, then. :)

Yeah, they've been doing this for a while, Disney knows how to do it.

That they do.

Until PIO told me to buy it, I hadn't either. I use it in a lot of things now. Especially when I'm making up a sauce on the fly, it gives a nice depth.

Hmm.... must look. We have a good Chinese grocery store if the local place doesn't carry it.

What a fun demo! Great that you got a recipe you liked so much.

I'm glad we went! And nice to get a good recipe.

That sounds good. I have to remember it and make it when Michael is here this summer. Did you serve any veggies with it? I guess broccoli would go with it very well.

I think I served it with a marinated cucumber salad and mixed veggies (zucchini, mushrooms, onions, celery, red peppers, kinda whatever I had on hand.

I love reading about all your little adventures! Thanks for posting about them!

Thank you for reading!

I think I served it with a marinated cucumber salad and mixed veggies (zucchini, mushrooms, onions, celery, red peppers, kinda whatever I had on hand.

Oh cucumbers would be wonderful. Unfortunately cucumbers are the only vegetable Michael won't eat. :confused3

I am actually getting a bit excited about having someone to cook for again! It is just far more fun to make an effort when there is someone to appreciate it than just for me on my own.

It was neat that you were there for almost all the weekends during the F&W and those demonstrations. The DCA F&W Festival this year was way better over last years and glad that there was a better selection from the kiosks, merchandise, entertainment, etc.

Your first demonstration that you attended was interesting. I am looking forward to more of the demonstrations you attended including the Robert Irvine one that we talked about.

Actually it said half a cup! I only used one chicken breast so I used 1/4 cup. Next time I'd use a tablespoon.

1 tablespoon is still a lot of sesame oil to me. It's a very strongly flavoured oil and we tend to use it sparingly, mixed in with other oils. I'll be interested to see how you go wiith a whole tablespoon.

Nice write up on the first demo- may have to give it a bit of a try. I spent some of my summers around Santa Monica- my grandparents lived in the Pacific Palisades for 10 years, although I'm sure it's very different around there from anything I remember.
I don't know sweet soy sauce, but I do buy spicy soy sauce when I'm in a big city and there is a decent Asia grocery. Looking forward to more!

The rim is too... what? What?? WHAT??????

OMG! SHE'S FALLEN AND SHE CAN'T GET UP!!!!

Nah, I just fell asleep mid post.

The rim of the glass was too thick. Feels strange to drink wine out of a glass like that.

Looks like I'm gonna have to try it, then. :)

So....did you?

Hmm.... must look. We have a good Chinese grocery store if the local place doesn't carry it.

Any luck?

Oh cucumbers would be wonderful. Unfortunately cucumbers are the only vegetable Michael won't eat. :confused3

That's too bad. Fran loves them. She has them for a snack before dinner. Takes up room that something less healthy might fill.

I am actually getting a bit excited about having someone to cook for again! It is just far more fun to make an effort when there is someone to appreciate it than just for me on my own.

I know what you mean. For a while when I lived on my own, I had a hard time getting motivated to cook nice meals.

It was neat that you were there for almost all the weekends during the F&W and those demonstrations. The DCA F&W Festival this year was way better over last years and glad that there was a better selection from the kiosks, merchandise, entertainment, etc.

Yes, there was definitely much more fun and interesting things at this year's event.

Your first demonstration that you attended was interesting. I am looking forward to more of the demonstrations you attended including the Robert Irvine one that we talked about.

I'm hoping to find time to work on more updates. Sadly it's going to be mostly from my phone.

1 tablespoon is still a lot of sesame oil to me. It's a very strongly flavoured oil and we tend to use it sparingly, mixed in with other oils. I'll be interested to see how you go wiith a whole tablespoon.

Normally I just put a drop in fried rice, or I make a potsticker dipping sauce with Sambal Olek, soy sauce, white vinegar, and a drop of sesame oil. So yeah this chicken recipe has a strong flavor.

Nice write up on the first demo- may have to give it a bit of a try. I spent some of my summers around Santa Monica- my grandparents lived in the Pacific Palisades for 10 years, although I'm sure it's very different around there from anything I remember.
I don't know sweet soy sauce, but I do buy spicy soy sauce when I'm in a big city and there is a decent Asia grocery. Looking forward to more!

Thanks. I haven’t seen spicy soy sauce. If I remember correct, you're up near Kamloops right? I would imagine you could find almost any Asian products in the greater Vancouver area.

Following our demo we went out to DCA for the Marketplace booths. On our way out of the Festival Center we stopped to check out the signs for the festival to see if we missed anything from the online ads.

The first kiosk that I wanted to hit was Bacon Twist.

I sent Fran to this booth to order one of each food item. I didn't feel like having a bloody mary, so I went to the Olive Us booth for a martini.

As I was picking up my martini, Fran came over to the booth and made this preposterous statement. “They ran out of bacon.”

What??????

Seriously? We were about 4 hours into the Festival and already they underestimated the demand for bacon? They were expecting to have more bacon within about 15 minutes.

While we waited, I sipped my martini, I gave the Olives to Fran.

She decided that she wanted to get the Cioppino so we split this.

When we finished, I decided to get a glass of Riesling to go with our bacon snacks. So we went to the Golden Vine winery which was right there.

By this time they were restocked on bacon, and we ordered one each of the food items. In the front you see the Iceberg wedge, in the back you see bacon mac and cheese and on the right is the maple bacon whoopie pie.

Every one of these items were fantastic! I had more of these over the course of the festival at least once if not more.

After that we were not starving. They had an AP corner where you could get buttons and they had a photo op. Unfortunately my PP pictures from this event never hit my account so I have no record of it. We did go back at a later date and fix that. This place was all the way over near the Paradise Garden Grill and Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta. On our way back we stopped at Sweet and Sourdough.

We got the cheddar cheese soup in the bread bowl, the shrimp louie, the milk chocolate bread pudding, and I got a glass of Conundrum. The soup was my favorite. The shrimp louie was OK. Fran finished most of it and we took the bread bowl home. I didn't care so much for the bread pudding, the “sour” in the sourdough was not the right taste for a base for bread pudding, in my opinion. Fran liked it and finished it all.

It was getting close to the time for our tequila tasting, so we went back to the festival center to line up.

This was our set up, pretty typical, blanco, reposado, and an Anejo.

The presentation wasn't anything overwhelming, but the speaker had some interesting points. I don't remember much, not because they gave us too much tequila, but because it was two month ago and I've been to like 10+ demos since then. I do remember that this was a nice tequila and that it was a boutique sort of distillery.

Following the presentation we headed out and back towards home. We were giving Francisco some cat treats and a PP photographer stopped to talk to us. Fran asked to have her picture taken with one of her favorite characters at the park.

Once we got home, I sliced her bread bowl into pieces and she had toasted sourdough for an evening snack. I was still full from all the kiosks.

“They ran out of bacon.”

What??????

Seriously? We were about 4 hours into the Festival and already they underestimated the demand for bacon?

Inconceivable!

They RAN out of bacon? :faint:

Surely they must know that's an American standard!!!

Every one of these items were fantastic! I had more of these over the course of the festival at least once if not more.

Oooh, yum!

I can see why they ran out. They look amazingly delicious.

the “sour” in the sourdough was not the right taste for a base for bread pudding

I would agree. I've never used sourdough for any sweet based bread pudding.

Fran asked to have her picture taken with one of her favorite characters at the park.

Great pictures of Fran and Francisco.

That was very interesting that Bacon Twist kiosk ran out of bacon when you were there. I thought Disney learned from last years F&W Festival where they need to have enough food so they won't make guests wait. There were times where I saw people waiting for their food which shows that they didn't have enough or running slow on serving.

Nice to see that you were able to do quite a lot of kiosks that day. The Baby Iceberg & Heirloom Tomato Wedge with Peppered Bacon & Point Reyes Blue Cheese Dressing looks good. I did enjoy the Smoked Bacon Mac & Cheese with Barbecue-Seasoned Crispy Onions along with the Maple-Bacon Whoopie Pie was good as well.

The Sweet & Sourdough kiosk which have the White Cheddar Lager Soup served in a Mini Boudin Sourdough Boule was one of my favorites which I can never get tired of the Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup at Epcot's F&W Festival at the Canada Pavilion.

Glad to see that you were able to see Francisco right by GRR that day. It was to see him last month. When I go the next time, I will try to stop by and see if he is there but I might have to bring cat food for him.

Can't believe they ran out of bacon! Fortunately they restocked quickly.

I love the tang of sourdough, but I don't think it makes sense for a sweet dessert.

Not one tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor?

What a sweet pic of Fran with the kitty!:lovestruc

Fran asked to have her picture taken with one of her favorite characters at the park.

Is there a resident cat at DL??? I did not know that? Love the photo!

As I was picking up my martini, Fran came over to the booth and made this preposterous statement. “They ran out of bacon.”

:rotfl2:How can that be so shortly after opening. They must have been swamped!

It does look yummy! CG has a wedge salad like that at brunch which was so good.
The whoopy pie sounds interesting - everything gets more tasty with bacon doesn't it? :)

Fun update! I never understand how they can run out of anything in those kiosks, let alone bacon.... it's not like it suddenly runs out, they can see it going...

Great pictures of Fran with the kitty :)

I like those glasses at the tasting.

So crazy they ran out of bacon in the first 4 hours...

These look yummy though, the bacon looks nice and crispy. I can't stand it when restaurants serve the bacon barely cooked, l usually specify "VERY, very extremely well done, even if you come close to burning it, that's ok" and sometimes it's still floppy and really light in color. I usually give up at that point and my hubby eats it.

That cheese soup in a bread bowl looked good too. Was it like the one in WS Canada

PhotoPass_Visiting_Disney_California_Adventure_Park_399733096018.jpeg

Love this pic with the kitty, I have heard about the DLR cats. my SIL has a barn cat that looks a lot like this one

Nah, I just fell asleep mid post.

:laughing:

The rim of the glass was too thick. Feels strange to drink wine out of a glass like that.

Ah! Yeah, I can see that, actually.

So....did you?

Nope! Totally forgot! Will again too!

Any luck?

Not yet. The market is way downtown and not somewhere I go very often.

we stopped to check out the signs for the festival to see if we missed anything from the online ads.

And had you?

The first kiosk that I wanted to hit was Bacon Twist.

I don't know what they got... but I love it already.

I went to the Olive Us booth for a martini.

Cute name.
Even though I don't care for olives.
Or like martinis.

Used to drink them all the time.
Because I was young and stupid and trying to look cool... but I didn't like them.

What??????

Who does that?
"We think we'll have over 1,000 people."
"Hmmm... better get two pounds of bacon."

Seriously? We were about 4 hours into the Festival and already they underestimated the demand for bacon? They were expecting to have more bacon within about 15 minutes.

:sad2:

Okay, seriously... Love the nail colour.

Looks good! Was it?

So we went to the Golden Vine winery which was right there.

Right there? I looked, but I just saw the dog sleeping by the window.

Every one of these items were fantastic!

well of course. You did say bacon.

I had more of these over the course of the festival at least once if not more.

Not surprised and... they must've been really good!

Unfortunately my PP pictures from this event never hit my account so I have no record of it.

Well, that bites!

pun intended?

On our way back we stopped at Sweet and Sourdough.

Another cute name.
Too bad the food didn't live up to the name.

and I got a glass of Conundrum.

what is that?

I don't remember much, not because they gave us too much tequila, but because it was two month ago and I've been to like 10+ demos since then.

Or maybe it was because they gave you too much tequila.

We were giving Francisco some cat treats and a PP photographer stopped to talk to us. Fran asked to have her picture taken with one of her favorite characters at the park.

I remember seeing Francisco! Or at least we thought we did... Wasn't there two of them? Sleeping?

Did Fran have a little treat for him?
(Nice shot of her, BTW.)

Ran out of bacon at the bacon stand????

Michael would be all over that wedge salad. I think wedge salad is one of his favourite foods overall.

I have to say that I think those portions do look decent size for the prices. I remember that in 2011 at Epcot Katharina and I found portions and prices to not correlate as well as we thought they ought to. I will have a chance to see how it is this year. I am looking forward to another attempt at loving F&W at Epcot.

Ran out of bacon after 4 hours! :rotfl: Boy did they underestimate that! I would have loved all of those bacon dishes. Everything looks so delicious!!! Wish I could go more often!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter