Celebrating 20 years at WDW - Bonus features, A few posts from May, Updated 9/11

Mystery over. They added the song back to the movie in 2002. After a special release at Imax. All DVDs after that had it. Mine is def post 2002.

(I don’t quite get this part) because he said he started sketching the dog’s paws, but how do you sketch in the shower?)
Well, our kids have crayons that are made for drawing on the walls in the bathtub... then just spray and wipe and it is gone.

That's really a fascinating presentation to get to see. I'm glad you were able to take advantage of it. That is such a great movie and it is interesting seeing some of the background that went into bringing it into fruition and getting some insights from the ones who created it.

What a wonderful presentation! thanks so much for taking all those pics and sharing it with us!

Yes we have been! And then you came to town and we were busy.....having fun!

Good! Glad you had fun! :)

I still have it on that non existent bucket list.

::yes::

This last week makes me laugh even more now.

:laughing: Wait until you hear about our last day. OMG.

And we didn't have the time, we barely made it through the few days.

Sorry for wearing you out!
The pedicure was the final straw, wasn't it.

I think we worked this one out equitably!

::yes:: Yes we did! I must admit, that when I originally wrote that, I had non idea that it would actually happen! :laughing:

And you got a similar one!

I did! :goodvibes

Well they don't play "the song"

I wouldn't know. I am quite happy to report that I never even saw the exterior of the building.

Actually you did better than us, I think you got the Pus........errrr cat.

:lmao: Why yes I did! I wish I could get it more often.

Unfortunately it was already changed. Don't really remember what we got.

I don't either, but I remember being quite pleased when he didn't include pepperoni in the list of toppings.

Unfortunately we never got that far, too much savory, no sweet.

Too full!

Sorry you ate too much.....

I'm not. Just another reason to go back. :)

You can also go to "Hot Dog on a Stick" and try one. Not sure if they have them in malls in Canada, but then again that means you have to go to a ma.

I haven't seen hot dog on a stick around here outside of a fair, but even those... I've never seen the cheese ones.

They even have their own website.

Really! Huh!

Going back to read.
Apologies, but I'm not going to quote at length.
Or maybe you're saying to yourself "Thank God."

a 25th anniversary event for the Animated Feature Beauty and the Beast.

How is this possible?!?!?!????? 25 years????

It was yesterday when it came out. At least it feels like that. Where did the time go?
(Would explain why my almost 20yr old daughter is not crawling around the floor and about the size of a backpack.)

Present were Don Hahn, Glen Keane and Andreas Deja, and a special performance from Paige O'Hara.

Producer, animator, animator (that one especially, Kay would love), voice actress for Belle.

Thanks Google!

When they had some good solid drawings Hahn took the concepts back to Jeffrey Katzenberg in the states and he hated every bit of it.

Whoops.

When he got back to London, good news or bad news. Deja asked for the bad news, obviously it was that they hated it. The good news was they were in London with nothing to do. So they took a plane to Tours, France and spent some time in the Loire Valley drinking lots of wine and getting a fresh perspective on the reboot of the animation.

So....... what's the bad news?

:rolleyes1

Andreas brought Ariel to life.

Bless this man!

Don Hahn even purchased a year long subscription to Muscle and Fitness for Deja so that he had plenty of material for Gaston.

I found that really interesting when you told me that. Never would've thought of that, but it makes total sense.

One of the big “chuckle moments” only took up about a second of screen time, but evidently a lot of time during production. There is a line in the song “Gaston” where he claims that his body is covered with hair. At one point all the animators wanted to put in their 5 cents about just what that hair should look like. Then they showed us the song from the movie where you see the hairy chest. And it is literally less than 2 seconds long, but the amount of thought and time that went into it sounded like a lot!

Top right. That's the winner.

Don Hahn invited Andreas to take a seat at an animation desk that had been set up on the stage. He began to draw Gaston.

Cool!!

Evidently she had seven different auditions and each one had more and more high ranking Disney executives.

Whoa. Tough process!

The thing that threw her off was at the last audition no one would make eye contact with her. Don Hahn explained that it wasn't that they were disrespecting her, but they were trying to keep Belle in their heads and and see if her voice matched their expectations of the character.

And I totally get it. As soon as you see the singer, that's gonna be Belle in your mind.

Page talked about the song and how Ashman helped to coach her over the phone from his hospital bed while they were recording. She was having trouble with one particular lyric “and it's quite alarming…” and gave her one word, “Streisand” and that worked, she sang it for us several times, (before she told us the coached word in a manner that didn't quite click) and then afterwards she sang the verse with the proper inflection. Not being a singer myself, I forget that diction really can make or break a performance, especially if the singer executes it so poorly that the audience notices it.

Huh. I've never thought about that. I just thought "Okay. Here's the words. Here's the tune... go!"

There was a lot of small talk where she commented that she was much like Belle, and she would fall in love with the Beast if he gave her a library too. But you had to be there.

:laughing: No. I totally get that.

Glen Keane said that that buffalo head was above his fireplace in his cabin up at Lake Arrowhead.

Waste not want not.

And.... not a boar fan, huh?

Originally Keane had asked to be in the cage with the gorilla, but everyone else thought better of that and he was not allowed inside the cage.

I should hope not!!

Then without warning, the gorilla shot to the font of the cage in an instant and began shaking the bars. It was at that point, Keane realized he was glad NOT to be in the cage.

See?

The gorilla went back to the corner, and Keane kept sketching. Again with no warning whatsoever, the gorilla flung to the front of the cage. Keane kept sketching. So the gorilla meandered about halfway back through the cage, reached down and picked up a handful of poop, and swung his arm back. Keane grabbed his sketchpad and everything else and ran!

:lmao: No shi.... uh.... no kidding!

After that story, he went to the Animator’s desk and picked up a pencil.

Cool X 2!!

Love the candelabra.

He started on this whole spiel about how the Animators really don't have any talent, it's all in the pencil. He held up the pencil in his hand and said, this is a Beast pencil, Andreas used a Gaston pencil.

:sad2: Modesty. But it did set up the joke perfectly.

Then he looked up and said, “Darn, I grabbed the wrong one! This is an Ariel pencil!”

Can I have that pencil?

As he was finishing up he added that he gave him “cow ears” because “who doesn't love cow ears?”

Well, sure!

The last thing he drew was the eyes and he said that when the transformation took place the one thing that remained the same was the eyes, as they were the window to the soul. They showed all the pain that the Beast felt being held captive in that body.

Huh. Just re-watched it fairly recently. That's pretty much right on target.

His Beagle came to him at that moment and he looked at the paws (I don’t quite get this part) because he said he started sketching the dog’s paws, but how do you sketch in the shower?)

Ever see those pads where you "write" on them with a pencil shaped plastic nub and to erase you simply pull up the plastic? Or he could've had something similar to an iPad and sketched on that (provided it was in a waterproof case or something.
My thoughts, could be wrong.

Immediately a little girl came running to the Beast, grabbed the Beast by the legs, threw herself at him, and cried, “I love you Beast!” The fact that he had created something, and that thing he created had come to life in the real world and that this little girl believed in and loved this character made his day.

Great story. That would make your day.

And......... so much for not multi quoting. :rolleyes:

What a great evening! So many interesting facts. Thanks for sharing. I love the details Disney goes to just to create one second of filming. The way the animators live in different cultures to get ideas and imspiration.

There were a lot of great stories shared that evening. I hope we get to do more things like that.

What is strange is that song human again had always been in the movie I have seen. Do we have a differernt version here? Inlove that song.

This had me really perplexed. I'm glad you figured it out.

Mystery over. They added the song back to the movie in 2002. After a special release at Imax. All DVDs after that had it. Mine is def post 2002.

So is that song fully animated? I'm curious how far along they got when they dropped it for the original movie. The musical came out sometime before 1996, so it makes sense that if they had the animation already completed it would be easy to add it back in.

Well, our kids have crayons that are made for drawing on the walls in the bathtub... then just spray and wipe and it is gone.

Well that's an interesting concept!

That's really a fascinating presentation to get to see. I'm glad you were able to take advantage of it. That is such a great movie and it is interesting seeing some of the background that went into bringing it into fruition and getting some insights from the ones who created it.

It was really neat to hear them talk about it. And I'm sure glad that I wrote it all down the day or two after. I never would have remembered half that stuff they said!

What a wonderful presentation! thanks so much for taking all those pics and sharing it with us!

You're welcome! It was a really neat presentation to go to!

Great post! I would love to have been able to see that presentation. Thanks for sharing and for the pictures too. Sounded like a fun time.

Good! Glad you had fun! :)

::yes:: Sure did!

:laughing: Wait until you hear about our last day. OMG.

I can't even imagine after what you told me on Friday!

Sorry for wearing you out!
The pedicure was the final straw, wasn't it.

I blame Disney for wearing me out. The pedicure was the best part of the trip. I enjoyed watching you squirm. :p

::yes:: Yes we did! I must admit, that when I originally wrote that, I had non idea that it would actually happen! :laughing:

I must admit I did not think it was going to work out that way either, but it was perfect!

I wouldn't know. I am quite happy to report that I never even saw the exterior of the building.

:lmao: It won't infect you unless you go on the ride.

:lmao: Why yes I did! I wish I could get it more often.

I have so many retorts to this comment, and every. single. one. would get me banned from the DIS! :laughing:

I don't either, but I remember being quite pleased when he didn't include pepperoni in the list of toppings.

I just remember cauliflower which meant "no".

I'm not. Just another reason to go back. :)

I'll be happy to be your tour guide. :flower3:

I haven't seen hot dog on a stick around here outside of a fair, but even those... I've never seen the cheese ones.

Hot Dog on a Stick is a chain that started on Venice Beach in the 50s or 60s. The girls wear these funny outfits and they squish lemonade while not serving customers. They're in malls all over the place.

Really! Huh!

http://disneylandcats.com

Going back to read.
Apologies, but I'm not going to quote at length.
Or maybe you're saying to yourself "Thank God."

I enjoy your quotes and ponder every word. :laughing:

It took place over MLK weekend and was a 25th anniversary event for the Animated Feature Beauty and the Beast.

Now I am officially envious. Beauty and the Beast is one of my all time favourite movies. What an interesting evening this was.

Corinna

I can't even imagine after what you told me on Friday!

You'll be sooooo annoyed with me.

I blame Disney for wearing me out.

Yeah! It's Disney's fault! Let's never go back!

Um... well..... maybe once... .or twice... or...

The pedicure was the best part of the trip. I enjoyed watching you squirm. :p

:lmao:

:lmao: It won't infect you unless you go on the ride.

But why risk it?

I have so many retorts to this comment, and every. single. one. would get me banned from the DIS! :laughing:

Buahahahaha!

I just remember cauliflower which meant "no".

There was? I don't think I had more than one bite. Didn't taste it though.

I'll be happy to be your tour guide. :flower3:

Awwww.... :goodvibes

Hot Dog on a Stick is a chain that started on Venice Beach in the 50s or 60s. The girls wear these funny outfits and they squish lemonade while not serving customers. They're in malls all over the place.

Oh! Didn't know it was a chain. Just thought you meant the generic term.

I love hearing about the events you go to, all that fun history. A wonderful event!!!

How is this possible?!?!?!????? 25 years????

It was yesterday when it came out. At least it feels like that. Where did the time go?
(Would explain why my almost 20yr old daughter is not crawling around the floor and about the size of a backpack.)

Well for you 25 years ago may feel like yesterday, but for me it was an entirely other lifetime!

Producer, animator, animator (that one especially, Kay would love), voice actress for Belle.

Thanks Google!

There you go!

So....... what's the bad news?

:rolleyes1

I know right? :confused3 Perhaps that their ideas were totally rejected could have been construed as bad news.

Bless this man!

Actually I got it backwards (fixed the post as soon as I read this). Obviously Glen Keane did Ariel since when they drew their characters he had the "Ariel pencil".

I found that really interesting when you told me that. Never would've thought of that, but it makes total sense.

These guys go really above and beyond to make their characters as realistic as possible. Just having come home from "The Science of Pixar" exhibit that fact was even more solidly hammered home.

Top right. That's the winner.

I think from the couple seconds we saw of it the bottom one won out more than the others.

And I totally get it. As soon as you see the singer, that's gonna be Belle in your mind.

They already knew what Belle looked like so they had to make sure that the voice jived with her voice.

Huh. I've never thought about that. I just thought "Okay. Here's the words. Here's the tune... go!"

You would think, but it's really not the case. A vocalist really needs to plan every syllable of what they sing.

:laughing: No. I totally get that.

I'm not sure a library would do it for me.

Waste not want not.

And.... not a boar fan, huh?

Maybe that was over the bed in his Master bedroom. :rolleyes1

I should hope not!!

See?

Yeah, better to be on the other side of the bars when gorillas are involved!

:lmao: No shi.... uh.... no kidding!

:lmao: :rotfl: :rotfl2:

:sad2: Modesty. But it did set up the joke perfectly.

I'm guessing he's used that one before.....

Can I have that pencil?

Figures you'd want it. Did you hear about the woman found naked in Fresno, CA wandering near a lake, she had webbed toes and claimed she was a mermaid. I just googled and there are no updates since the story broke 5-6 days ago. I thought of you.

Huh. Just re-watched it fairly recently. That's pretty much right on target.

Well of course the man is not going to lie in front of an audience!

Ever see those pads where you "write" on them with a pencil shaped plastic nub and to erase you simply pull up the plastic? Or he could've had something similar to an iPad and sketched on that (provided it was in a waterproof case or something.
My thoughts, could be wrong.

No I have not. That would make sense as well. Did they have them 25 years ago?

And......... so much for not multi quoting. :rolleyes:

Yup! :laughing:

Great post! I would love to have been able to see that presentation. Thanks for sharing and for the pictures too. Sounded like a fun time.

I'm glad you enjoyed the post. I love being able to see these kinds of things!

Now I am officially envious. Beauty and the Beast is one of my all time favourite movies. What an interesting evening this was.

Corinna

And I am officially envious of you as well. I saw that you hit single digits for your Trans Pacific Cruise today!

You'll be sooooo annoyed with me.

Wow! So I can't even imagine what happened! :eek:

Yeah! It's Disney's fault! Let's never go back!

Um... well..... maybe once... .or twice... or...

Too late, I've already been back two, three, maybe four times....You're welcome to come back again as well....

But why risk it?

:lmao:

There was? I don't think I had more than one bite. Didn't taste it though.

I know I picked my piece of that one carefully, made sure it wasn't poisoned with Cauliflower.

Oh! Didn't know it was a chain. Just thought you meant the generic term.

Naw, it's a goofy chain in California malls, but awesome corn dogs and cheese dogs cooked on the spot.

I think that's an excellent idea!!! :cool1:

I have your dates, I'll send your some emails soon.

I love hearing about the events you go to, all that fun history. A wonderful event!!!

It was a neat event. I wish they had them more often, but then again, our wallets are happy they don't happen as often!

February was a rather uneventful month for us (at least the beginning). Podsnel came to visit Disneyland with her friends at the beginning of the month and we met her for dinner a couple times, but alas we only took pictures of our food and not evidence of the meet. They’re also really blurry so I’m going to skip those.

Later in the month Fran wanted to get some LE pins that were released so we decided to have lunch at the newly rethemed Riverbelle Terrace. It’s now a TS where you should have a reservation. We had one for 12:30PM, we checked in at the podium and were given an outside table in the shade. The park was not very crowded on this day.

We were given menus and pondered our orders.

I got the Beef Brisket sandwich with Tater tots and baked beans. It was very good!

Fran got the Fried Chicken sandwich with potato salad and baked beans. We both really liked this one too!

After lunch we headed over to the AP area. It seems that they have these locations throughout the park where AP holders can buy merchandise, get free buttons and have photo ops. I suppose it is an enticement to get passholders out to the park. We got our free button and I took advantage of the photo op.

After this we headed home. Another quick jaunt to the park!

This was our last trip to Disneyland for a while as nine days after this day we were on a plane to Orlando. If you're not already in on the fun, here is the link to that trip. So far we're only starting our first day at sea.

New Trip Report

I'll be back here with updates from the DCA Food & Wine Festival.

Well for you 25 years ago may feel like yesterday, but for me it was an entirely other lifetime!

Hmmm.... yes, I suppose it would be.

I think from the couple seconds we saw of it the bottom one won out more than the others.

Nah. I'm right.

:rolleyes:

They already knew what Belle looked like so they had to make sure that the voice jived with her voice.

Makes sense.

You would think, but it's really not the case. A vocalist really needs to plan every syllable of what they sing.

I'm starting to get that now.

I'm not sure a library would do it for me.

But it couldn't hurt!

Maybe that was over the bed in his Master bedroom. :rolleyes1

You must lead an interesting life.

;)

Figures you'd want it. Did you hear about the woman found naked in Fresno, CA wandering near a lake, she had webbed toes and claimed she was a mermaid. I just googled and there are no updates since the story broke 5-6 days ago. I thought of you.

I swear I have an alibi.

Well of course the man is not going to lie in front of an audience!

:laughing: I suppose not.

No I have not. That would make sense as well. Did they have them 25 years ago?

Hmmm... I don't think so... but.... it's Disney, so.

But definitely the other one. Sure.

Too late, I've already been back two, three, maybe four times....You're welcome to come back again as well....

I think I might take you up on that.
Seriously enjoyed your company Alison.
(Fran's too!)

Naw, it's a goofy chain in California malls, but awesome corn dogs and cheese dogs cooked on the spot.

Gotcha.

Podsnel came to visit Disneyland with her friends at the beginning of the month and we met her for dinner a couple times, but alas we only took pictures of our food and not evidence of the meet.

Don't believe you. Never happened.

Where is everyone? This was not my experience.

What is that in your sandwhich? Deep fried onion shreds?

We got our free button and I took advantage of the photo op.

@Steppesister is gonna be jealous!

I saw that you hit single digits for your Trans Pacific Cruise today!

I am getting to the point now where this cannot come round soon enough. We are both so ready for a vacation.

It’s now a TS where you should have a reservation.

I had not realised this. Looks like the menu is pretty similar though.

I got the Beef Brisket sandwich with Tater tots and baked beans. It was very good!

That looks amazing.

Corinna

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter