CDC Notifies States, Large Cities To Prepare For Vaccine Distribution As Soon As Late October

Status
Not open for further replies.
In FL, K-12 teachers are eligible but university instructors are not. I've heard from quite a few sources that there is a local vaccine site that is vaccinating college and university instructors if you have proof. I'm hesitant to go. I'm middle-aged and a bit overweight, but not really in any high-risk group and I'd feel a little guilty. Honestly, my husband has to be in direct contact with a lot more people than I do in his profession but he isn't eligible. My university is actually doing a great job of enforcing masks and distancing and I've never yet felt unsafe. I'm kind of torn.

True but in our state, being overweight or being a smoker or ever have smoked means you are now eligible and has added a whole lot of those between 16 to 65. In our state this covers a huge number of residents.
A lot of phases do that though. In KS we have 5 phases. Phase 2 was about 30-33% of the population or about 1 million. That's not even on medical conditions yet(which are Phase 3 and 4 for KS).

When you say 16+ you're really talking general population which is the last step for all states. That would mean suddenly my husband was eligible which is way way different than adding in medical conditions.

It's hard to compare states because we all have different populations and are doing thing differently. If I look at PA for example they are Phase 1A and are doing vaccines for those that are included in KS's phase 3 and 4 BUT they are not doing people that are covered in KS phase 2. Different populations are getting the vaccine in those states and they are basically the reverse. In KS your first responders,police,grocery store, domestic violence shelters other shelters, independent living places and more are getting the vaccine right now. In PA that isn't until Phase 1B (according to their health department). Conversely those with medical conditions under 65 aren't getting vaccinated (save for some outlier situations) in KS until the next Phase (3) but they are in PA.

Gov Kelly advised Phase 3 will likely start at the beginning of April for us dependent on vaccine supply from the Federal government.

Good news about J&J appearantly no hesitation about the vaccine, the 23,400 doses we received were gone lightning quick.

But it's the good thing about this thread seeing what others are doing.

In FL, K-12 teachers are eligible but university instructors are not. I've heard from quite a few sources that there is a local vaccine site that is vaccinating college and university instructors if you have proof. I'm hesitant to go. I'm middle-aged and a bit overweight, but not really in any high-risk group and I'd feel a little guilty. Honestly, my husband has to be in direct contact with a lot more people than I do in his profession but he isn't eligible. My university is actually doing a great job of enforcing masks and distancing and I've never yet felt unsafe. I'm kind of torn.
If you’re eligible, get it. Don’t think twice about it.

Think of it as you helping your community gain protection :flower3:

Think of it as you helping your community gain protection :flower3:

I agree with this. I’m a substitute teacher and we’ve been in distance learning all year so there’s been no work for me, so I’m low risk obviously that way (but overweight so higher risk that way instead). I still got mine when education came up, it felt like cheating a little but it’s really not - subs were specifically listed. Everyone should get it when they’re eligible, the faster more get vaccinated, the better.

An opportunity to participate in J&Js 2 dose regimen trial just fell into my lap. I left a message with the trial center and should hear back tomorrow. It pays $2000 and guarantees you will get at least 1 dose of vaccine. They are starting immediately. Hope they want me!

An opportunity to participate in J&Js 2 dose regimen trial just fell into my lap. I left a message with the trial center and should hear back tomorrow. It pays $2000 and guarantees you will get at least 1 dose of vaccine. They are starting immediately. Hope they want me!

Do they need more people? I’d sign my husband up lol.

Awesome! Fingers crossed. Keep hoping for a miracle here 😉

I am not sure. I was referred by one of the study doctors, indirectly. She is a parent of one of my sisters students and she asked my sister to refer trustworthy people. If I end up getting an appointment, I will ask if they want more people. It is in Long Beach.

Is this for the ENSEMBLE 2 study?

If so, trial participants will have a 50/50 chance of getting either the real 2-dose vaccine regimen or placebo. Given that the 2nd dose is two months after the first (and you still need to be monitored in the study after getting the 2nd shot), I’d think it may benefit certain higher priority group people not to participate—if you really want a vaccine ASAP— because the supply of vaccines in the US is expected to be more than demand within that timeframe.

Is this for the ENSEMBLE 2 study?

If so, trial participants will have a 50/50 chance of getting either the real 2-dose vaccine regimen or placebo. Given that the 2nd dose is two months after the first (and you still need to be monitored in the study after getting the 2nd shot), I’d think it may benefit certain higher priority group people not to participate—if you really want a vaccine ASAP— because the supply of vaccines in the US is expected to be more than demand within that timeframe.

Not totally sure what the name of the study is. However, the doctor told my sister they are in the process of getting approval to change the study so that they don't have a strictly placebo group. Everyone will get 2 shots. Half will get a real vaccine and one placebo. The other half will get 2 real vaccines. Since they need to compare the 1 dose vs 2 dose regimen there won't be a group that only gets placebo. I do know the 2 shots will be 57 days apart and they will continue following participants for 2 years. A total of 10 clinic visits is required over the 2 years. I do know that they are specifically looking for minority (non white) participants at this time. Since I'm Hispanic, I meet the criteria.

Since I am basically in the least important tier (42, healthy, no risk factors) and live in a county in CA where I likely won't get vaccinated before June at the rate we are going here, I lose nothing by participating in this trial.

Not totally sure what the name of the study is. However, the doctor told my sister they are in the process of getting approval to change the study so that they don't have a strictly placebo group. Everyone will get 2 shots. Half will get a real vaccine and one placebo. The other half will get 2 real vaccines. Since they need to compare the 1 dose vs 2 dose regimen there won't be a group that only gets placebo. I do know the 2 shots will be 57 days apart and they will continue following participants for 2 years. A total of 10 clinic visits is required over the 2 years. I do know that they are specifically looking for minority (non white) participants at this time. Since I'm Hispanic, I meet the criteria.

Since I am basically in the least important tier (42, healthy, no risk factors) and live in a county in CA where I likely won't get vaccinated before June at the rate we are going here, I lose nothing by participating in this trial.

Still sticking to June? And why are you up??????? :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter