Cayman - shipwreck and snorkel (G15) or Captain Marvin?

CisforCookie991

Mouseketeer
Welp, well after our excursion booking window opened, my kids did a complete 180 on what they were interested in. Now I have two options booked and looking for some feedback. I've read some great reviews of the DCL shipwreck and snorkeling (G15), and I also have Captain Marvin's stingray, starfish, and snorkel. Prices are comparable so that's not an issue. Any thoughts on which would be better? Kids have never snorkeled, and adults haven't snorkeled in so long we may as well be brand new. Everyone is an ok swimmer, but no one is a strong swimmer (enough so that after I read the thread about snorkeling on Castaway, we decided that would not be for us).

Also: we're booked in 2 rooms, me + kid 1 and husband + kid 2, and reservations are linked. I thought I would be able to book all 4 of us at once but couldn't? When the excursion only had 3 slots, I was able to do me and both kids together. But today it looked like they opened up new slots for the G15 but I couldn't do all 4 of us at once. I was able to do me + kid 1, then husband + kid 2, and now it's showing up in my account with all 4 of us under the same excursion at the same time. Is that supposed to happen? I've previously only booked adult stuff or stuff where they didn't have 4 slots anyway.

My concern is that snorkeling at Castaway Cay is a no-go for you. Are you talking about the snorkeling from the Family Beach, with no boat involved?

If that were the case, I would question doing a snorkeling trip in open water from a boat. Maybe consider a shallow water stingray excursion, perhaps combined With beach time.
Yes the family beach. My primary concern is that a lot of people said you need to swim out pretty far to see anything. Then swim back.

I found a very detailed YouTube video about G15 and it seemed that they were just staying in the immediate vicinity of the boat.

I have done Captain Marvin's 3 times. Never had little, little kids but did have a swimmer this last time (September 2022) who was def not a good swimmer -if at all. They were so nice and he actually wore a life vest thing around his waist. I also had my niece who can swim but never snorkeled. They both had a blast for a first timers. Also had my elderly dad one time and he just watched-never got in the water. I have also had my kids who are great swimmers and were at one time, first time snorkelers-no problems whatsoever. Snorkeling is easy really-differing opinions but I think it's easy.
I have done the 2 stops and the full day with lunch, starfish (which was awesome). It is honestly the best operation. (they even took me to the ATM on the way to where the boat takes off ;-)) You can easily walk to their hub if you are at the right dock-which I believe DCL always is. The boat ride is awesome, snorkeling is fantastic and no one has to do it if they don't want to and finally the sting rays. Absolutely fantastic and Captain Marvin's is the best boat out there-never overloaded and crazy like some of the other boats. The stingrays are plentiful and just out of this world. They have a photographer of course and they handle all that experience like pros. That was my experience of course and everyone if different. I have never done the DCL excursions in GC-so cannot opine on that.
Note on the family beach snorkel-yes you do have to go out quite a ways to see all the "stuff". Kids seems to be able to do it way better than parents and there are life guards and it's not incredibly deep-sometime you can stand in certain parts but that all depends on the tide. Please note-I am a good swimmer and I float well. :-)

I have done Captain Marvin's 3 times. Never had little, little kids but did have a swimmer this last time (September 2022) who was def not a good swimmer -if at all. They were so nice and he actually wore a life vest thing around his waist. I also had my niece who can swim but never snorkeled. They both had a blast for a first timers. Also had my elderly dad one time and he just watched-never got in the water. I have also had my kids who are great swimmers and were at one time, first time snorkelers-no problems whatsoever. Snorkeling is easy really-differing opinions but I think it's easy.
I have done the 2 stops and the full day with lunch, starfish (which was awesome). It is honestly the best operation. (they even took me to the ATM on the way to where the boat takes off ;-)) You can easily walk to their hub if you are at the right dock-which I believe DCL always is. The boat ride is awesome, snorkeling is fantastic and no one has to do it if they don't want to and finally the sting rays. Absolutely fantastic and Captain Marvin's is the best boat out there-never overloaded and crazy like some of the other boats. The stingrays are plentiful and just out of this world. They have a photographer of course and they handle all that experience like pros. That was my experience of course and everyone if different. I have never done the DCL excursions in GC-so cannot opine on that.
Note on the family beach snorkel-yes you do have to go out quite a ways to see all the "stuff". Kids seems to be able to do it way better than parents and there are life guards and it's not incredibly deep-sometime you can stand in certain parts but that all depends on the tide. Please note-I am a good swimmer and I float well. :-)
Thanks! Based on my YouTube research, it looks like the DCL excursion goes to the Cali wreck and cheeseburger reef. Have you ever gone to those? If so, how do they compare to the reef sites that Captain Marvin's goes to?

I did the shipwreck and snorkel excursion in 2019, we really enjoyed ourselves and saw quite a few fish. At times I struggled a bit with how much I was pulled around by the water while also trying to look down and see the fish and everything, my husband didn’t have the same issue. I didn’t see you mention any ages but there were a few kids that also struggled with being pulled around by the water, so much so that at the second stop they refused to leave the boat. Something to think about. I do remember that they were extra careful with making sure all the kids things fit correctly and kept a close eye on everyone while we were in the water.

The swim out at castaway is kind of far but the water is calmer.

I did the shipwreck and snorkel excursion in 2019, we really enjoyed ourselves and saw quite a few fish. At times I struggled a bit with how much I was pulled around by the water while also trying to look down and see the fish and everything, my husband didn’t have the same issue. I didn’t see you mention any ages but there were a few kids that also struggled with being pulled around by the water, so much so that at the second stop they refused to leave the boat. Something to think about. I do remember that they were extra careful with making sure all the kids things fit correctly and kept a close eye on everyone while we were in the water.

The swim out at castaway is kind of far but the water is calmer.
This information is perfect. Thank you! My kids are 8 and 11, but both of them, and I, are all on the smaller side. I'm guessing that it might also depend on the current that day etc., but I'd feel much better at a place where we can stand up if the water is choppy. Maybe we'll do this one the next time around.

Thanks! Based on my YouTube research, it looks like the DCL excursion goes to the Cali wreck and cheeseburger reef. Have you ever gone to those? If so, how do they compare to the reef sites that Captain Marvin's goes to?
I’m pretty sure I haven’t been to those exact spots because Disney, in my experience goes to to same places on their excursions. Captain Marvin’s - they are more free form and I believe they - just on experience - try to hit little reefs they think might be good that day on the way to “Stingray City”. You def cannot stand at the snorkel stops. So if that is an issue- you would not enjoy that piece. You can stand at Stingray City. Maybe with 8,11 you would really need to judge how comfortable they are just jumping into 20, 25 feet water. They can wear a vest of course and float but some kids - no way would they do that. My kids would as they were avid swimmers. That’s a family decision for sure but honestly once you jump in- it’s really cool. The boat is stationary of course and the water does what it does- can be extremely calm or just a bit choppy. I’m a mom that might push my kids a little but honestly if that is scary- no go. Of course I don’t mean to say that is easy if one has panic brewing when they do it! I have just found that kids sometimes can really catch on to things adults can’t imagine. Lol. I got certified as a scuba open water at 54 and the kids in my class- prob 11,12 did circles around me- they had no fear. Captain Marvin’s overall is a great operation - we went in 2013 and 2022- and in between but same overall opinion. Sorry for my long winded post! Have a wonderful trip!! PS- Castaway Cay has a DCL snorkel excursion where you boat out to some open water. It’s a bit shallower (can’t stand though) but it feels easier for beginner snorkelers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter