CAT 4 vs CAT 5/6

Jennygt

DIS Veteran
I am trying to decide about a cat 4 vs 5/6. Dh is a big guy and we will have our then 4 year old with us. We have never cruised and I have always stayed away because I was afraid of getting sea sick and of feeling closed in a small room, any advice on these room catagories?

I'm a "big guy" by any definition and found the Category 6 perfectly comfortable. It was just DW and I but a four year old could have easily fit in (I had two of them, a long time ago).

I'm still toying around with the 4 vs. 6 myself but not because the 6 was in any way uncomfortable.

I am trying to decide about a cat 4 vs 5/6. Dh is a big guys and we will have our then 4 year old with us. We have never cruised and I have always stayed away because I was afraid of getting sea sick and of feeling closed in in small room, any advice on these room catagories?

Hi Jenny....there is something else to consider.

Category 5 and 6 accommodate 4 people in 268 square feet

Category 4 accommodates up to 5 people in 304 square feet.

There is only 36 square feet difference in size and it's all near the sliding doors to the verandah.

Also...because category 4 is the first category that will accommodate parties of 5, they are more expensive even when only sleeping three people.

John and I are both BIG guys and feel quite comfortabke in a cate 5 or 6.

You will have to decide if 36 extra square feet are worth the increase in price.

Kevin

Thanks for clearing that up for me, I thought that it was just the size difference. Does the deck make a huge difference? When you request a stateroom that has locations on multiple decks can you request a certain deck? I would assume that it is just like a hotel reservation, just a request and they will do what they can but no gaurentees? Sorry for all the questions but I really want to come with you next time and i will need alll the info to convince dh! Thanks!:goodvibes

I would have to let Kevin say how it would actually work on the podcast cruise but typically, on cruises, you actually select the stateroom (by number), assuming it is available. I knew which stateroom I had months in advance.

As to decks, one consideration I had was not being too high on the ship. The dining rooms on on the lower decks and, because there are assigned dining times for large groups of folks, the elevators (which are not terribly big) get cramed full right before and after dinner. I found being in cat 6 on deck 6 most helpful because we could easily take the stairs down and up from dinner. I only used the elevators to go to the upper decks.

I would have to let Kevin say how it would actually work on the podcast cruise but typically, on cruises, you actually select the stateroom (by number), assuming it is available. I knew which stateroom I had months in advance.

As to decks, one consideration I had was not being too high on the ship. The dining rooms on on the lower decks and, because there are assigned dining times for large groups of folks, the elevators (which are not terribly big) get cramed full right before and after dinner. I found being in cat 6 on deck 6 most helpful because we could easily take the stairs down and up from dinner. I only used the elevators to go to the upper decks.

Hi Jack:

We are considering Category 4,5 or 6. Quote request was put in for a Category 4.

Which rooms are typically more desirable?

Front of ship, Mid-ship or towards the back?

Thank you,

Mark

Hi Jack:
We are considering Category 4,5 or 6. Quote request was put in for a Category 4.
Which rooms are typically more desirable?
Front of ship, Mid-ship or towards the back?
Thank you,
Mark

As a first time cruiser, I had similar questions. I had a cat 5, (midship, starboard) and found it very convenient. I liked being mid ship as it was central, however the elevators were always slower than walking the stairs. I visited friends that had both fore and aft rooms. They seemed nice as well.

As a first time cruiser, I had similar questions. I had a cat 5, (midship, starboard) and found it very convenient. I liked being mid ship as it was central, however the elevators were always slower than walking the stairs. I visited friends that had both fore and aft rooms. They seemed nice as well.

Hi jeanigor:

Thank you,

Mark

Mark,

I suggest you start a thread for this simply so you will get other views. Asking what is "more desirable" is very subjective and I would hate to make a recommendation based upon what Ilike only to have you not like it for some other reason.

Here are my considerations - which may or may not be accurate.

If I recall right, the drink fountains (coke, "coffee", hot chocolate) are aft. I don't believe any are forward or mid-ship.

In theory, mid-ship probably feels the waves less than fore and aft, but in December I doubt that matters too much. The weather was pretty calm. I barely noticed any motion staying in mid-ship cat 6 but then I am not really prone to sea sickness. If that affects you, you should ask around to see what affects others.

You get on and off the ship at mid-ship.

Look to see what is above and below you. If you are a light sleeper, being above (or below) a theater or a lounge might not be good.

From this, you would think I prefer mid-ship but on my next cruise (NCL) I am staying forward, for different reasons altogether.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!