Casey Anthony trial- verdict is in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
the Prosecution did not make its case. failed to meet the burden of proof.
:thumbsup2........also.....if they could not prove she was NOT innocent how can all of you be so sure that she wasn't. the admonition to a jury is VERY clear "if you do not think the prosecution proved guilt "beyond a reasonable doubt" then you MUST find the defendant not guilty. in simpler terms (this is me saying this part not a judge) you must be sure they are guilty! i myself would rather see 10 guilty people go free if it means that one innocent person is not railroaded and loses the rest of his or her life and or freedom. it is easy to second guess our system, we must remember that the other choice has been tried...............in Germany and the former Soviet Union...............

Even though I believe that Casey did kill her daughter, I find that I can't be angry about the verdict. If we as a society are going to put someone to death, I want us to be absolutely positive that we have the right person. I like that it needs a ton of evidence to bring in a guilty verdict on Murder 1 charges.

Now, what I'm not sure I understand and maybe someone who saw more of the trial can explain is why the jury was not allowed to consider lesser charges? Murder 2, Manslaughter? Did the prosecutor's office go for broke with Murder 1 and blow a chance to get her on a lesser charge? Same goes for the child abuse charge. Could they have gone for child neglect as well? Perhaps she would have at least been found guilty of that after not reporting her child missing for 31 days.

The bottom line for me at least is that I firmly believe that Miss Casey will have another judgement day and that her next Judge will not need to ask for a forensics expert or a detective for evidence. He's already got all He needs.

Even though I believe that Casey did kill her daughter, I find that I can't be angry about the verdict. If we as a society are going to put someone to death, I want us to be absolutely positive that we have the right person. I like that it needs a ton of evidence to bring in a guilty verdict on Murder 1 charges.

Now, what I'm not sure I understand and maybe someone who saw more of the trial can explain is why the jury was not allowed to consider lesser charges? Murder 2, Manslaughter? Did the prosecutor's office go for broke with Murder 1 and blow a chance to get her on a lesser charge? Same goes for the child abuse charge. Could they have gone for child neglect as well? Perhaps she would have at least been found guilty of that after not reporting her child missing for 31 days.

The bottom line for me at least is that I firmly believe that Miss Casey will have another judgement day and that her next Judge will not need to ask for a forensics expert or a detective for evidence. He's already got all He needs.

They were allowed to consider lesser charges...and they found her not guilty on all of those counts. Second degree murder, 3rd degree felony murder and manslaughter were all on the verdict forms as well.

So well stated!!!

..Simon Cowell???????

They were allowed to consider lesser charges...and they found her not guilty on all of those counts. Second degree murder, 3rd degree felony murder and manslaughter were all on the verdict forms as well.

Thanks. That does kind of mystify me that none of those charges were able to stick. Even if they didn't feel she intended to kill her, how do they explain the 31 days and the multiple lies she told? Why else would she have needed to do that?

Well said.....PERFECT!!

Tell me that not reporting your toddler missing after a VERY short period of time isn't child endangerment, willful neglect or child abuse and I'll say you're not following the letter of the law.

We were in Orlando (at WDW) when the trial started and we were so hooked. We spent our 'nap' times watching the trial. And like many other people, we've been following the trial. Over the weekend during closing arguments and the instructions by the judge, I told my husband that they had to find her not guilty of the first three counts and guilty of the last four. He couldn't believe I said it and he disagreed. But I am glad to see our justice system works and that joke of a trial did not put a woman in jail with that much doubt.

BUT no matter how you personally feel, a verdict was given and she was tried in our justice system (which I am very proud of especially compared to most other countries). I really fear for the Anthony family and all the hatred that people have pent up. Unfortunately, I fear people will take out their hate on the people involved in the case. Casey was found not guilty by a jury of her peers and we all need to deal with it and move on.

I think before the times of CSI and other shows like that the burden of proof wouldn't quite have been so high. Has anyone heard if they will continue an investigation into how this poor child died? I personally completely believe Casey had a hand in it. But according to the courts she didn't do it. So are they just going to let the case drop?

How can a juror make an informed decision without any notes, any review?

How can you say the father was complicit as one alternate did, without one iota of evidence. Not even as much as they had against Casey?

Hate to say this but where was the logical thinking?

Frighteningly this woman may have another child.

I think before the times of CSI and other shows like that the burden of proof wouldn't quite have been so high. Has anyone heard if they will continue an investigation into how this poor child died? I personally completely believe Casey had a hand in it. But according to the courts she didn't do it. So are they just going to let the case drop?

Well, according to the court she was not proven guilty. Not proven guilty doesn't mean innocent. Yes, it's semantics but it's true. Everyone in that room may have known in their hearts that she killed that baby, but without proof she could not be convicted of it.

The case has to drop because jeopardy has attached. She cannot be tried again for the same crime.

Living not to far from Orlando, I have followed this case from the very start. I have watched a majority of the trial (it's been hard to avoid with the 24 hour coverage here). Here are my thoughts:

I believe that our justice system worked in this case. A person who charged with a crime, pleaded not guilty, was tried, and her fate was decided by a jury of her peers.

Having said that, I DO NOT believe there was any justice in this case.

Obviously she lied to police, that was proven.
Obviously the child died, that was proven.
IMO, the state proved that Caylee was killed and did not die in an accidental drowning. Unfortunately, the state did not connect the dots to Casey.

Personally, I think she's nutty as a fruitcake and didn't want to be tied down to a child, so she did the unthinkable. I also think the jury felt she was guilty but could not convict her because they had reasonable doubt. Unfortunately, we will never know unless they decide to talk. Hopefully one day they will.

But the victim in all of this is that sweet, adorable, innocent little Caylee whose life was cut all too short. There is no justice in that.

Just my two cents.

And what about the creepy meter reader guy that tampered with evidence and told his son he was, "going to make a small fortune over this" ? Will he be brought up on charges ?

And what about Casey's Mom, who clearly lied about being home and searching for "chlorophyll" on her desktop when records show she was at work during that time ? Will she face perjury charges ?

This entire thing literally makes me sick to my stomach, and if I were to express any other feelings I harbor over Casey they would be immediately deleted from The Dis. (And rightfully so)

Suffice it to say the entire thing nauseates me to my very core.

One thing I heard on the TV news as the investigation progressed- When Caylee was born, she became the star of the household and Casey was very resentful. Cindy told her daughter that she was going to legally adopt Caylee. I'm sure that made Casey furious and she decided that was never going to happen. I never heard of this being presented at the trial.

I think we can also see what may be an emerging pattern here... if you take people away from their lives against their will, they will get even with the state by making a mockery of the trial and our legal system.

Just so sad such a beautiful little angel could be treated as just a bag of trash to be tossed away...

Please don't bash me, but I am not surprised by the verdict. I few years ago I was sequestered in Wisconsin for a murder trial. The law of "reasonable doubt" is so long and huge that unless someone confesses holding a bloody knife, you can't convict them.

This is such a shame. Such a beautiful little girl lost her life way too early.

I've served on 2 times on a jury and to me part of the problem lies with how people interpret "beyond a reasonable doubt". From my experience, the other jury members took this to mean 'no doubt', even though the judge was clear that beyond a reasonable doubt doesn't mean 'no doubt'.
JMHO, but serving really opened my eyes to how the 'make up' of the jury is a huge deciding factor in how a verdict comes in.

A couple of people have reported some posts saying that Casey will face another judgment day as being religious. As you know we don't allow posts about religion or politics on the boards. There is a bit of a grey area and I think that just stating the above falls in that area and it's ok to post it. It's certainly not starting an argument or pushing a certain religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter