Car slams into parade in WI

I think it's too early to assume motive or anything. I've heard this guy was a drug dealer, a rapper, was running from a knife fight, etc (and just heard about the child trafficking thing through this thread). I think we need to wait for the official word before just drawing conclusions.

Bail in that case was originally set at $10,000, lowered to $7,500 then lowered again to $500.
Then it sounds like it was an income based hardship if it was dropped so steeply such that the courts were supposed to take that into consideration. I don't know if the State's Constitution allows for prior skipping of bail to be in consideration of this but that from a standpoint of the likelihood of showing up for your court date seems to be very reasonable to take into consideration. From what I read the intent (when it's actually utilized) for the WI law is to not discriminatorily make such high bonds that the poor stay in jail til the court date while those wealthier can post the bail and live outside the jail until their court date. The article was a few years old and I know there was a proposal that was supposed to be talked about soon after that article about including public safety so it's entirely possible that part was changed.

This whole tragedy is too RAW for me, so I'm OUT....
Social media is a double-edged sword, it can be tremendously beneficial but has the potential to be just as damaging instead. Sometimes there are tragedies that are so painful that just tuning it out is for the best for one's mental health.

I think it's too early to assume motive or anything. I've heard this guy was a drug dealer, a rapper, was running from a knife fight, etc (and just heard about the child trafficking thing through this thread). I think we need to wait for the official word before just drawing conclusions.
His rap sheet is available from the State of Wisconsin. It’s very long. I looked through it briefly and didn’t see that he had hit another woman with his car before (as @robinb has posted from an article above), but I did see that he was charged with strangling one, among many other crimes. Not sure what his motive for this was, but he’s definitely not an upstanding member of the community, by any means.

It's hard for good people to understand, but criminals like this truly do not care who or how many they kill. That's a fundamental truth about a very small percentage of the population that many just can't accept.
I agree, Antisocial Personality Disorder is a real diagnosis that flies in the face of certain belief systems that hold the idea that all humans are born good. It doesn't need to be a conflict though, all babies are born good but biology can have a fault line so if we can allow for nature having a say in how a human's personality will develop then things realign. There are estimates that antisocial personality disorder occurs in 2-4% of the males and half that in females, that is a lot of people for whom conscience may not be a guiding force. Thankfully, they don't all inflict massive harm but missing a conscience from the dashboard is a very dangerous thing.

No idea if this particular monster is antisocial but things would appear to be pointing in this direction.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4500180/

His rap sheet is available from the State of Wisconsin. It’s very long. I looked through it briefly and didn’t see that he had hit another woman with his car before (as @robinb has posted from an article above), but I did see that he was charged with strangling one, among many other crimes. Not sure what his motive for this was, but he’s definitely not an upstanding member of the community, by any means.
Here's a news report with links to official court records on the two charges he was wanted for.

Further in the report is more detail on his criminal record going back to 1999. This is just Wisconsin criminal history. There are notations about extradition demands and out-of-state felony convictions. He appears to have been either in prison or living in another state from 2012 to 2020. https://www.wisconsinrightnow.com/2021/11/22/darrell-brooks-criminal-record/

Then it sounds like it was an income based hardship if it was dropped so steeply such that the courts were supposed to take that into consideration. I don't know if the State's Constitution allows for prior skipping of bail to be in consideration of this but that from a standpoint of the likelihood of showing up for your court date seems to be very reasonable to take into consideration. From what I read the intent (when it's actually utilized) for the WI law is to not discriminatorily make such high bonds that the poor stay in jail til the court date while those wealthier can post the bail and live outside the jail until their court date. The article was a few years old and I know there was a proposal that was supposed to be talked about soon after that article about including public safety so it's entirely possible that part was changed.
The Milwaukee County DA put out a statement about an hour ago saying that the bail was reduced to $500 because the court already had another jury trial in process so couldn't meet it's speedy trial obligations. The running over the girlfriend accusation was the battery with domestic abuse modifier that he was arraigned on 11/5, the Milwaukee County DA's office only asked for $1,000 bail at that time, which was posted on 11/11.
Further in the report is more detail on his criminal record going back to 1999. This is just Wisconsin criminal history. There are notations about extradition demands and out-of-state felony convictions. He appears to have been either in prison or living in another state from 2012 to 2020. https://www.wisconsinrightnow.com/2021/11/22/darrell-brooks-criminal-record/
He was in NV, convicted of a statutory rape charge and then didn't abide by the conditions of his probation.

10 children in Children's Wisconsin Hospital's Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, 6 in critical condition.

I am watching some of this disgusting man's twitter videos.

He is quite proud of his human trafficking escapades. He only admits to not knowing it was a child that he was selling to others.

The numbers are 2000 to 2016, over that time period an average of around 700,000 people are detained in a city or county jail at any given moment awaiting trial with an expected length of stay of 25 days.

https://bjs.ojp.gov/content/pub/pdf/ji16_sum.pdf

I meant stats that show hundreds of thousands of innocent people.

I'm a big fan of the philosophy that if you don't have enough money to post bail then how about you don't do anything that gets you thrown in one.

I meant stats that show hundreds of thousands of innocent people.

I'm a big fan of the philosophy that if you don't have enough money to post bail then how about you don't do anything that gets you thrown in one.
That's not the way the courts work in our society. Very minor offenses (like a tiny amount of weed as an example) could put you in jail longer than your actual sentence could be just because you couldn't afford the bail.

John Oliver has done several specials of this, the news has talked about this too. We often think people do really bad things and so they should pay for them but in reality so often the things we think are there to be punitive are punitive to the wrong people and sometimes can increase the likelihood of repeat offenses if kept in jail before a court hearing due to inability to pay. This particular person of interest is sorta not the best poster person for this but more speaking towards the larger picture.

And above all else it should be readily apparent in our society that morally money talks is not usually the way we actually want our courts to work but is so often the case.

It's more of a catch 22 here and rarely is a black and white "just don't do anything to get into trouble and you'll be fine"

I actually looked into this because I've seen enough coverage over our bond systems and usually how the poor are quite disproportionately affected by it so I wondered what rules could be in play here. According to an article a few years ago for WI "The Wisconsin Constitution states that cash bail can be used only as a means of making sure the accused appears for the next court hearing — meaning judges are not supposed to consider public safety when making decisions about bail."

On the one hand you're absolutely not wrong nor others that clearly this person had a history such that the public had cause for immediate concern regarding his potential actions, on the other hand there's a long history of how prejudicial and discriminations bails have been used both in terms of racial and income based situations. I do not know the ins and outs of the person of interest's life just giving the information as I read about it and relating it to why that might make sense to do it that way.

He had already skipped out on bail previously so that judge didn't even have to consider public safety. He just needed to look at the past account of that.
I'm not going to comment or debate about bail in general, this person deserved to have a high bail set.

That's not the way the courts work in our society. Very minor offenses (like a tiny amount of weed as an example) could put you in jail longer than your actual sentence could be just because you couldn't afford the bail.

John Oliver has done several specials of this, the news has talked about this too. We often think people do really bad things and so they should pay for them but in reality so often the things we think are there to be punitive are punitive to the wrong people and sometimes can increase the likelihood of repeat offenses if kept in jail before a court hearing due to inability to pay. This particular person of interest is sorta not the best poster person for this but more speaking towards the larger picture.

And above all else it should be readily apparent in our society that morally money talks is not usually the way we actually want our courts to work but is so often the case.

It's more of a catch 22 here and rarely is a black and white "just don't do anything to get into trouble and you'll be fine"

I'm not going to debate the bail system, it will turn political and get the thread shut down.

I'm not going to debate the bail system, it will turn political and get the thread shut down.
With all due respect you opened that conversation with your conversation with the other poster where you were already discussing it AND asking for stats on what they talked about and only a few hours ago.

If you weren't wanting to discuss it then I'm not sure why you would add this in

What is more likely to get a thread shut down is comments such as "I hope this POS rots in jail".

If you'd like to not discuss any further with posters about it it's your prerogative and respect that.

With all due respect you opened that conversation with your conversation with the other poster where you were already discussing it AND asking for stats on what they talked about and only a few hours ago.

If you weren't wanting to discuss it then I'm not sure why you would add this in

What is more likely to get a thread shut down is comments such as "I hope this POS rots in jail".

If you'd like to not discuss any further with posters about it it's your prerogative and respect that.

I asked the poster to provide stats about the hundreds of thousands of innocent people incarcerated a year. That has nothing to do with bail. I was curious where they got those numbers.

I said all I wanted to say about it (my thoughts about bail itself not the system) but since you quoted me I was letting you know I wasn't going to debate it with you. It's a political subject and could get the thread shut down.

And I have no idea what you mean about saying the POS could rot in jail will get it shut down. If the mods feel that POS falls under their no curse words rule they will probably just delete that post not shut the whole thread down over it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!