cancelling dvc within 10 days..... why did you decide to?

monica9

DIS Veteran
Contemplating cancelling our DVC. Why did you choose to or if you thought about it and decided not to, why?

Is there a particular reason you are not proceeding (you should ask yourself if it's financial, don't understand DVC, or don't travel every year/other year?)

Yes, it is a financial commitment. The money you pay upfront plus the yearly maintenance fees. The airfare, travel expenses, park tickets, food will add up.

No, we did not cancel. We've been owners for over 10 years and are very happy with DVC. That's not to say DVC is for everyone.

We also got cold feet..... But we did not cancel. For me it was wondering if the financial aspect was a fit for us, based in our vacation history. I'm glad we didn't cancel. We would never be able to vacation the way we do if not for DVC. Only you can decide what's best, so good luck in your choice. If you keep it, I'm sure you'll love it as much as we do!

If it is a direct contract there seem to be a couple of consistent reasons why people cancel.

1 - They got caught up in the pixie dust of the moment and now realize that it's a large financial commitment as well as an ongoing commitment to visiting Disney every year or every other year that they may not want to have.

2 - They got home, did some research, and discovered they could save thousands of dollars on resale.

We got cold feet in the day or 2 after we signed our contract, but did not cancel. I'm so glad we didn't... we love our DVC. :lovestruc

We are still with in our ten 10 window but don't anticipate canceling. This may be because we are pulling the money from a retirement account that we haven't done much with and hasn't grown much beyond the price of buying outright. I'll certainly call fidelity or the timeshare group with the ad on this site and see what they can do for us. However we will probably still buy direct because buying resale isn't with out problems too. Many resale contacts I see don't have full point availability for up to two years because the seller had just used banked and borrowed points. Add to that the drama that can ensure by sellers backing out. I don't want to spend months getting rejections. We just got off the Disney dream and already have begun planing to go back on dvc points for the Halloween party. I'd hate to make ressies only to have the headaches of buying resale.

That being said, I'm confident we'll be adding point via resale.

The recision period is Florida law to protect consumers in any real estate transaction. With ANY transaction of this size, ANY product, ANY seller, my advice to anyone who has even the slightest doubt would be to rescind.

If you rescind, you can take your time, do more research, think it over, etc, etc. until you feel sure of what you are doing -- one way or the other. If you decide timeshares are for you, and DVC meets your needs, you'll be much more comfortable and you can re-purchase. If not, you'll know you made the right choice.

If you hesitate, you may find yourself locked into a 30-50 year financial committment for a product you don't really understand, and which may not be the best vacation alternative for your family.

And if you choose to sell it sooner rather than later (plus if you finance), you are not going to get the price you paid for it. Plus you'll pay the real estate company their 10% fee to sell it for you. So, not only did you have to sell it, you had to pay to sell it.

About 6-7 or so years ago, we had a contract in our hand. At the time, Disney had more business than they could handle and didn't have to chase sales. Our "thank you" for taking the tour was an ice cream cone. No kidding. Our guide didn't even have paperwork ready even though I'd requested the tour and knew all about DVC. I had to call several times once we got home to get the contract sent to us. It took them about 2 months to send it.

Right when we got the contract in the mail (finally) and signed it, a real estate agent called to say that a house we saw 6 months earlier and loved was still available (a shocker at the time) and they'd dropped it by 40k and needed out since they'd moved already. It was more than we planned to spend, but it kept us near my MIL, who is widowed and doesn't drive. So we took the dvc money and put toward the extra down payment.

As a side, I was a bit suspicious at the time (though not enough to not sign) that something akin to a resale market existed. We really wanted Boardwalk, not SSR, and they kept saying it couldn't be had. When I asked what happened to the properties that got sold back, they said they kept them. Seemed odd.

Long story long . . . we found the resale market and saved up enough through the years to buy a cheap one.

I didn't technically cancel, and the sales person never called to follow up anyway. They were rolling in sales.

We went the direct route, bought and have note really looked back.

5 years ago, we moved to Bangkok, Thailand, so don't get to use it as often as we would like. However, we use the points through RCI and other Disney Resorts or sell or rent them.

I know this does not really talk to your original thought, but the point is you can use the points in very many ways. However, and this came directly from our slaesman at DVC, if you are more of a Red Roof Inn type of vacationer and don't got to the Disney alot, it is not worth it.

Hope this helps.

We were setup for 160 points at Bay Lake, financed at our local bank since the rate was less. We ended up cancelling it before the 10 days was over due to the overall cost of financing as it would have been thousands more than we paid.

We were not aware of resale at the time, a year goes by and I started looking online and discovered resale.

We are now in the final days of closing on 240 points at SSR. We are extemely happy with the fact that we cancelled the original purchase because now we have more points per year, and it cost us half the price.

We're not interested in cruises or adventures and will be happy to be able to visit WDW every year in a deluxe resort.

xbrentx said:
We were setup for 160 points at Bay Lake, financed at our local bank since the rate was less. We ended up cancelling it before the 10 days was over due to the overall cost of financing as it would have been thousands more than we paid.

We were not aware of resale at the time, a year goes by and I started looking online and discovered resale.

We are now in the final days of closing on 240 points at SSR. We are extemely happy with the fact that we cancelled the original purchase because now we have more points per year, and it cost us half the price.

We're not interested in cruises or adventures and will be happy to be able to visit WDW every year in a deluxe resort.

Great! We own at SSR and love it. We stay there most years. I hope you enjoy the DVC as much as we do!

Though a bit nervous, I followed through on mine and have never regretted it. In fact I had reduced my original points and later, after we were comfortable with our decision, added on.

Drew

I went on a Disney Cruise in Oct 2011, didn't buy DVC. Bought Animal Kingdom on my Apr 2012 Disney Cruise for around $90 p/pt. Came home and cancelled. Then I targeted Animal Kingdom and Saratoga resales. Negotiated a 365pt SSR for $47 that came with 365 banked as well :), it was about my 5th offer on Fidelity before a buyer accepted. I'm happily an owner now that lives in CA. I have booked 2 nights in SSR for Dec, plus 1 night at Vero Beach, they are sandwiching a Florida Cruise in about a week. Then have a week at Aulani for first week of April, our Spring Break. 2 nights at Grand California during the Anaheim dental convention in April. Then we're heading back to WDW for 2 nights @Key West, 2 @Animal Kingdowm and 3 @Bay Lake for the 4th of July week. In a few weeks, I'll be booking my Thanksgiving week at SSR. Then in 3months, I'll see if we may split / change our stay at other DVC Resorts during that Turkey week.

So my point is, so far, getting more points at less cost has been wonderful for my plans. I'm very happy with my DVC decision.

Funny story.

Sept 2009 we were staying at POFQ w/free dining. Our DD and her DH were going to the preview center to actually buy a contract. They had done the tour the year before and were finally ready to sign papers. We went along for the ride and expressly told the guide we (DH and I) were not interested so don't try to sell us.

Long story short, we walked out of there with 210 points at BLT. :rotfl:
The kids did too. :)

After we got home and arranged our own financing I called our guide and he laughed and told me that he was sure we would go home and rethink our decision. He was shocked we went through with it. Have since added on twice, once direct from him and once resale.

Don't regret the decision one bit. Best money we have ever spent on ourselves.

Contemplating cancelling our DVC. Why did you choose to or if you thought about it and decided not to, why?

We went through the DVC tour basically for the ice cream and Disney gift cards. Then, we went home and sat on the idea for an entire year.

At the point of the transaction, we had cash for our desired amount of direct points (280 AKL).

No regrets at all. We do not splurge much on the adults in our family and we did not consider this something we were doing for the kids. It was a promise to ourselves that we would 'force' ourselves to take great vacations. It has worked out wonderfully because now we do take vacations and have a higher standard than what we had before.

However, we had no idea that there was a resale market. I not sure, even now though, I would buy resale because I don't like having restrictions. We like to use our points in different ways and have found it to be a good way for us to use our timeshare.

I will only 'regret' buying DVC if they change 'essentially' how DVC works now. I like that I can go to any DVC resort as long as I can make a reservation at the 7 month mark. It will severely lessen my love if this ever happens.

If its a financial thing I would just rent out your points to cover the costs of the maintence fees. Thats what I plan on doing IF I end up with more points than I need. I can pay the MFs but if I can rent out points to pay for some of it then Im fine with that too

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!