Canceling direct purchase

They will usually keep you with the same guide. Before you do that, I would ask him to confirm the RIV documents you sign will include what he told you and be honest. Tell him you know of other RIV owners who have told you the documents don’t say it.

If he seems to stall or not give you a yes, then I’d call back and say yoy want someone new because you are no longer confident.

So you don’t think it would be okay if I reached out to a prior guide I worked with?

So you don’t think it would be okay if I reached out to a prior guide I worked with?

I misread. Yes, if you have worked with them before, then go for it! My guide has not yet responded and I remembered that last year, Monday was his day off.

Research tactics of a car salesman. 😂
These are timeshare sellers. Nice & Friendy ones but still with one mission. Sell
I know it’s sales but I just feel like it tarnishes the Disney brand if their guides lied to make sales. I feel like this is something they might get in trouble for?

I know it’s sales but I just feel like it tarnishes the Disney brand if their guides lied to make sales. I feel like this is something they might get in trouble for?
In my opinion you weren’t being lied to. The words spoken might have given more of a false hope. I do believe they should be straight forward and only stick to the facts. Again the word “could” is not the same as “will”. The price, the resort, all you will get for buying direct, is great. Hope you have a positive outcome on whatever purchase you decide on.

our guide mentioned that RIV resale owners could stay at the new resorts.

To give him the benefit of the doubt, I could say you heard it wrong, but this is a timeshare seller. There's no indication this is true at all. If you are going to buy, I would not do it based on this. READ THE CONTRACT, I'm pretty sure it will say resale can only be used at RIV.

RIV Resale
(I see that you confirmed this, but I already typed it out, so here it is)

I just purchased RIV. The contract says they reserve the right to limit access to other resorts for non-direct purchases (paraphrasing). They also reserve the right to build new DVC resorts with different reservation rules & restrictions. I was curious about the exact wording in the POS. It says:

"Club Members who purchase an Ownership Interest at Riviera Resort from a third party other than directly from DVD or other seller approved by DVD, are not permitted to convert their Riviera Resort Home Resort Vacation Points related to that Ownership Interest to DVC Vacation Points for the purpose of reserving Vacation Homes at any other DVC Resort, including any future DVC Resorts, through the DVC Reservation Component. Purchasers should refer to the DVC Resort Agreement for details."

Maybe they'll revise the POS at some point, or as others have mentioned, set up a pay for play system in future resort POS's

Direct RIV vs Other Home Resort Resale
I agree that there will be an influx of resale listings at the end of the year when maintenance fees come due. I was originally going to buy resale and at first decided to wait it out to see what happens then. It's a tough decision! If you buy AK resale, will you regret not being able to stay at RIV? If you buy RIV, will you end up staying at AK more often anyway? In an ideal world, you could buy direct RIV and add on resale AK too :rotfl2:

Just want to share my thought process. It's long, so my TL;DR is: Went from never DVC, to never direct - certainly NEVER Riviera, to buying RIV direct (with the incentives that just ended)

After finally deciding DVC is for me, I was researching everything and I couldn't decide on a home resort. I was thinking of just buying resale SSR or OKW for sleep around points. As I researched, I learned that for me, buying where I really want to stay & home resort advantage were key. Especially since I realized having two showers in a studio was extremely important to me and location was a VERY close second.

Of the "2 showers in a studio" resorts, I didn't want to buy Poly since I may occasionally stay in 1 or 2 bedrooms. I decided on resale, either Grand Floridian (2 showers & location) or Beach Club (location, even with 2042 expiration). I wasn't even considering buying direct and definitely not Riviera. Then I watched videos and room tours of Riv and I fell in love. The deluxe studios with 2 showers and a Murphy bed are beautiful and roomy. I love the resort as a whole, the pool(s), the dining options and Skyliner access.

Even though I love it, I still wasn't going to buy Riviera. Then I read the incentives thread, and realized direct RIV would be very close in price to VGF resale. Then I read the Fixed Week thread and it all came together for me. I bought direct at RIV - a Fixed Week plus a second small contract to reach the incentive level.

Being able to use my direct points at future resorts and other blue card benefits are great, but didn't influence my decision. The resale restrictions bother me a little, but I didn't buy to sell.

Last edited:

We never signed anything but have to back out of our direct contract for now - hoping to jump back in later- I just sent an email - do you think I would have to mail a letter still?

An email is enough, and in your case it is more than enough if I understand your situation correctly, in that you did a preliminary oral agreement to purchase but have not yet actually signed the purchase agreement, In that situation, your 10-day period for cancelling never began to run because it begins after you sign the purchase agreement. Until then you can cancel even orally, but sending at least an email is better to get the process of returning any down payment started.

RIV Resale
(I see that you confirmed this, but I already typed it out, so here it is)

I just purchased RIV. The contract says they reserve the right to limit access to other resorts for non-direct purchases (paraphrasing). They also reserve the right to build new DVC resorts with different reservation rules & restrictions. I was curious about the exact wording in the POS. It says:

"Club Members who purchase an Ownership Interest at Riviera Resort from a third party other than directly from DVD or other seller approved by DVD, are not permitted to convert their Riviera Resort Home Resort Vacation Points related to that Ownership Interest to DVC Vacation Points for the purpose of reserving Vacation Homes at any other DVC Resort, including any future DVC Resorts, through the DVC Reservation Component. Purchasers should refer to the DVC Resort Agreement for details."

Maybe they'll revise the POS at some point, or as others have mentioned, set up a pay for play system in future resort POS's

Direct RIV vs Other Home Resort Resale
I agree that there will be an influx of resale listings at the end of the year when maintenance fees come due. I was originally going to buy resale and decided to wait it out to see what happens then. It's a tough decision! If you buy AK resale, will you regret not being able to stay at RIV? If you buy RIV, will you end up staying at AK more often anyway? In an ideal world, you could buy direct RIV and add on resale AK too :rotfl2:

Just want to share my thought process. It's long, so my TL;DR is: Went from never DVC, to never direct - certainly NEVER Riviera, to buying RIV direct (with the incentives that just ended)

After finally deciding DVC is for me, I was researching everything and I couldn't decide on a home resort. I was thinking of just buying resale SSR or OKW for sleep around points. As I researched, I learned that for me, buying where I really want to stay & home resort advantage were key. Especially since I realized having two showers in a studio was extremely important to me and location was a VERY close second.

Of the "2 showers in a studio" resorts, I didn't want to buy Poly since I may occasionally stay in 1 or 2 bedrooms. I decided on resale, either Grand Floridian (2 showers & location) or Beach Club (location, even with 2042 expiration). I wasn't even considering buying direct and definitely not Riviera. Then I watched videos and room tours of Riv and I fell in love. The deluxe studios with 2 showers and a Murphy bed are beautiful and roomy. I love the resort as a whole, the pool, the dining options and Skyliner access.

Even though I love it, I still wasn't going to buy Riviera. Then I read the incentives thread, and realized direct RIV would be very close in price to VGF resale. Then I read the Fixed Week thread and it all came together for me. I bought direct at RIV - a Fixed Week plus a second small contract to reach the incentive level.

Being able to use my direct points at future resorts and other blue card benefits are great, but didn't influence my decision. The resale restrictions bother me a little, but I didn't buy to sell.

I’m planning on buying today so this was awesome to read! What fixed week did you do? Did you get 2019 points buying a fixed week? I can’t get the math to work out on the fixed week I want point wise. I want more points than the week costs.

I’m planning on buying today so this was awesome to read! What fixed week did you do? Did you get 2019 points buying a fixed week? I can’t get the math to work out on the fixed week I want point wise. I want more points than the week costs.

I bought Fixed Week 44 - the first week in Nov. It's Jersey Week combined with the Wine & Dine half-marathon. Week 44 at RIV is 130 pts for standard view studio, but I needed 150 to hit the incentive. From reading the Fixed Week thread, I knew I could add on points in a separate contract to reach the incentive. It's usually a 50pt minimum at RIV, but they allowed me to get a 25pt contract to reach 155pts. My guide had to get it approved by the higher-ups.

I wanted an Oct UY, so I did get 2019 points - he had to get approval for that too. I have them banked already. This was all last week and I heard they are no longer selling Oct & Dec Use Years right now (probably so they don't have to give out 2019 points). I would ask your guide about it since you started talking to him about this before they made that decision.

Here's the link to the Fixed Week thread - great info there!
https://www.disboards.com/threads/all-about-fixed-weeks-riv-ccv-aul-vgf-poly-charts.3806985/

Last edited:
Definitely read the FW thread! There's a lot of great information there. FW's do have an upfront premium, but if you are picking popular times to travel, chances are over time you'll come out ahead as point charts are reallocated. Also, if you're looking for a studio, fixed weeks can save you the headache of trying to get one in a busy time.

We actually bought two FWs at CCV - week 47 and 48 - because we realized that as our kids grew, we'd want to spend that time down in Disney. We just love the holiday period, and my SIL and family are down in Florida. We also figured we could leave a week each to our two kids (though they'll have to fight over who gets Thanksgiving) and this way we never have to deal with Fall Frenzy should we use them. And we get the points if we decide not to use them to use for other trips. We're already coming out ahead - the weeks cost us 118 points, and FW-47 is 123 points in 2021, so we effectively get 5 points for free if we use it! Week 48 is 110 points in 2021, so our premium from 11 points to 8 points.

We also added on at RIV for the extra incentives, and I'm regretting a little that we didn't pick up a FW there (we were debating FW 44 for the closeness to Halloween, F&W, and RunDisney) or Week 49 to extend our Christmas Holidays. In the end, we opted just to grab two small contracts so that we could pass them along to our boys as well and because we were already spending more than we intended and would need to spend even more to grab a FW; I hope I don't end up regretting not getting a FW, though!

Definitely read the FW thread! There's a lot of great information there. FW's do have an upfront premium, but if you are picking popular times to travel, chances are over time you'll come out ahead as point charts are reallocated. Also, if you're looking for a studio, fixed weeks can save you the headache of trying to get one in a busy time.

We actually bought two FWs at CCV - week 47 and 48 - because we realized that as our kids grew, we'd want to spend that time down in Disney. We just love the holiday period, and my SIL and family are down in Florida. We also figured we could leave a week each to our two kids (though they'll have to fight over who gets Thanksgiving) and this way we never have to deal with Fall Frenzy should we use them. And we get the points if we decide not to use them to use for other trips. We're already coming out ahead - the weeks cost us 118 points, and FW-47 is 123 points in 2021, so we effectively get 5 points for free if we use it! Week 48 is 110 points in 2021, so our premium from 11 points to 8 points.

We also added on at RIV for the extra incentives, and I'm regretting a little that we didn't pick up a FW there (we were debating FW 44 for the closeness to Halloween, F&W, and RunDisney) or Week 49 to extend our Christmas Holidays. In the end, we opted just to grab two small contracts so that we could pass them along to our boys as well and because we were already spending more than we intended and would need to spend even more to grab a FW; I hope I don't end up regretting not getting a FW, though!

Is it easy to cancel the fixed week? Do you just bank any extra points that aren’t part of your FW for the next year? I know a FW is the smart thing but there’s so much to figure out I feel like it’s not worth my headache trying to sort through it. Deciding what/where to buy was bad enough lol

Is it easy to cancel the fixed week? Do you just bank any extra points that aren’t part of your FW for the next year? I know a FW is the smart thing but there’s so much to figure out I feel like it’s not worth my headache trying to sort through it. Deciding what/where to buy was bad enough lol
If you use your FW, it always costs the full amount of the FW's points. So, for my CCV contract, if in 2021 we decide to go over Thanksgiving, it will cost us 118 points. Whereas if we were to book that week ourselves, it would be 123 points (hence the reason I said we get 5 "free" points.) If we also go for week 48, it will also cost us 118 points, even though anyone else booking it will only pay 110 points. But, that week will be auto-booked for me, and I don't have to walk a reservation or get up at to try to book at exactly 8am 11 months out to secure a studio at CCV during one of the most popular times of year, so I consider it an 8 points well spent! :)

If you don't want to use the FW, you either use the points before your FW is booked to make another reservation (if the points aren't available, they won't book the FW for you) OR you call MS after it is booked and cancel it. At the moment, you cannot cancel or modify a FW online. (Though I'm hoping with the recent enhancements allow you to use Transferred and OTUP points online, that soon managing FWs may become available!). You also cannot modify a FW to have a different arrival/departure day - it is Sunday to Sunday (unless you have a RunDisney Fixed Week; you can select your arrival and departure dates around the runDisney event). You can of course always book additional days and link them, or do a split stay elsewhere.

I think it's wonderful because I always have Thanksgiving and that first Christmas Holiday week if I want them, and I can easily call to cancel them if I decide to use the points for something else. As much as I obsess over planning and don't mind making reservations, I rather like knowing that I just have those weeks without the worry that I might not get them, or have to stalk waitlists. It doesn't work for everyone, and the cost may not be worth it for everyone, but it works for me!

If you use your FW, it always costs the full amount of the FW's points. So, for my CCV contract, if in 2021 we decide to go over Thanksgiving, it will cost us 118 points. Whereas if we were to book that week ourselves, it would be 123 points (hence the reason I said we get 5 "free" points.) If we also go for week 48, it will also cost us 118 points, even though anyone else booking it will only pay 110 points. But, that week will be auto-booked for me, and I don't have to walk a reservation or get up at to try to book at exactly 8am 11 months out to secure a studio at CCV during one of the most popular times of year, so I consider it an 8 points well spent! :)

If you don't want to use the FW, you either use the points before your FW is booked to make another reservation (if the points aren't available, they won't book the FW for you) OR you call MS after it is booked and cancel it. At the moment, you cannot cancel or modify a FW online. (Though I'm hoping with the recent enhancements allow you to use Transferred and OTUP points online, that soon managing FWs may become available!). You also cannot modify a FW to have a different arrival/departure day - it is Sunday to Sunday (unless you have a RunDisney Fixed Week; you can select your arrival and departure dates around the runDisney event). You can of course always book additional days and link them, or do a split stay elsewhere.

I think it's wonderful because I always have Thanksgiving and that first Christmas Holiday week if I want them, and I can easily call to cancel them if I decide to use the points for something else. As much as I obsess over planning and don't mind making reservations, I rather like knowing that I just have those weeks without the worry that I might not get them, or have to stalk waitlists. It doesn't work for everyone, and the cost may not be worth it for everyone, but it works for me!

At what point in time does the system automatically make the reservation? It seems like a pain to have to call in each year! Is it not bad?

At what point in time does the system automatically make the reservation? It seems like a pain to have to call in each year! Is it not bad?
Usually around 11 to 12 months out. You do not need to call in to have the reservation made; only if you want to cancel it and you don't use the points before the reservation is made.

Usually around 11 to 12 months out. You do not need to call in to have the reservation made; only if you want to cancel it and you don't use the points before the reservation is made.
11-12 months prior to your FW? Boy my head is spinning but I went ahead and bought a FW based on the recommendations on this site so I sure hope I can figure it out haha!

Lorana summed it up really well! I'll give you my experience as as an example.

Bought Fixed Week 44 with Oct UY and contacted Member Services to straighten out and bank my points:

2019 (Getting 2019 points because still in that UY)
"Cancelled" 2019 FW because it's in the past
Banked 2019 points to use as normal = 155 (130 from FW + my second 25pt contract)

Cancelled 2020 FW because it's in a few weeks
Will receive 2020 points to use as normal on 10/01/2020 = 155 (130 from FW + 25)

Total current points = 310

FW 44 starts 10/31/2021
Reservation will be made automatically at 11 months or prior.
I'll decide if I want to keep the reservation or call to cancel and get the 130 points instead. (I may end up keeping it because in addition to it being Jersey Week, Food & Wine and the Wine & Dine half-marathon, it's also the 50th anniversary)

Keep FW reservation - I lose the 12 point premium (FW is 130 pts vs 118 for regular reservation)
Get 25 pts as normal from second contract

I like the guarantee of the Fixed Week, the flexibility to use as regular points if you cancel, and the hedge against future point increases for that week. But you could be just as happy with a standard contract!

11-12 months prior to your FW? Boy my head is spinning but I went ahead and bought a FW based on the recommendations on this site so I sure hope I can figure it out haha!

Whoops didn't see your last post! Congrats!!

What FW & UY did you get? Come back next year and we'll help you figure it all out!

Whoops didn't see your last post! Congrats!!

What FW & UY did you get? Come back next year and we'll help you figure it all out!
Thanks so much! I’m really excited although them not being willing to give me the 2019 points/ oct or dec UY is kind of putting a damper on things. Hehe I will certainly be coming back for help next year!

I got FW 41. It’s our school districts fall break. My son is 1 so I’m just trying to plan ahead. It is October. I got a Sep UY. I just really didn’t want an April UY which is what he was trying to give me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter