Can you use a Fire Stick at resorts

Salf777

Mouseketeer
can you use an Amazon fire stick at the resorts? Particularly Grand Floridan Villas?
if anyone has can you please explain how. I mean I know how to do it at home my question is is it difficult connecting to the resort WiFi

We use a Firestick and have found that, for the most part, the TVs are compatible and there is an outlet behind the television close enough to the HDMI port on the TV to make it work. The exception so far has been Boulder Ridge. We have only used it at DVC locations, so YMMV with regards to whether there is an accessible outlet that the stick’s cord will reach. We do love having it on vacation, though!

We use a Firestick and have found that, for the most part, the TVs are compatible and there is an outlet behind the television close enough to the HDMI port on the TV to make it work. The exception so far has been Boulder Ridge. We have only used it at DVC locations, so YMMV with regards to whether there is an accessible outlet that the stick’s cord will reach. We do love having it on vacation, though!
Most TVs have USB ports for this reason, just plug the end into the tv instead of the wall adapter.

Some newer TVs can power the newer sticks directly through the HDMI ports as well.

Just don't forget to take your stick with you, I have heard of people coming in and finding someone left their stick and depending on your settings they could run up quite a bill.

Most TVs have USB ports for this reason, just plug the end into the tv instead of the wall adapter.

Some newer TVs can power the newer sticks directly through the HDMI ports as well.

Just don't forget to take your stick with you, I have heard of people coming in and finding someone left their stick and depending on your settings they could run up quite a bill.
One end goes in the HDMI port and the adapter goes in the outlet, but with some televisions the outlet is too far away for the cord to reach when the stick is plugged into the HDMI port, is what I meant to say in case my post wasn’t clear :).

One end goes in the HDMI port and the adapter goes in the outlet, but with some televisions the outlet is too far away for the cord to reach when the stick is plugged into the HDMI port, is what I meant to say in case my post wasn’t clear :).
I knew what you meant, but you can plug into the USB port on the tv or get a longer USB cord

Some of the TVs port configuration make it hard to plug the stick into the back. I bring an extension HDMI cable that I plug into the back and then the fire stick plugs into that. It makes it more visible so I don’t forget to pack it back up and gives more room for the power plug to reach the outlets. Works great on the in room Wi-Fi

I just want to say I didn't put two and two together and was thinking why would anyone try to start a fire at a resort?

I'll see myself out.

Obviously because they're using the DVC resort only amenity of the barbecues! 😉

Not sure about GFV, but one potential issue is the quality of the wifi. We tried to do this at Copper Creek (stayed there this past August), and the wifi in our room was just too crappy. We could hook up and get connected, but the connection was too slow for anything to even load, let alone stream smoothly. I was even going to try to use my phone as a hotspot to try to put something on for the kids, but my cell signal wasn't strong enough in our room. So crappy internet all around. We were one of the last rooms out on the wing, so I don't know if that's the case in all CCV rooms.

I'm actually a little worried about that for our upcoming in just over 3 weeks - staying at Copper Creek again. Since our kids are hybrid schooling, in school 2 days a week, 30-60 minute Zoom call on Wednesday, then online loaded assignments the other two days, we were going to try to have them keep up on their work and maybe do their Zoom calls as well. If the internet's bad, no way Zoom would work, but a lot of their online work includes instructional videos to watch that explain the assignment. I'm worried the internet won't even be good enough for that to work.

Not sure about GFV, but one potential issue is the quality of the wifi. We tried to do this at Copper Creek (stayed there this past August), and the wifi in our room was just too crappy. We could hook up and get connected, but the connection was too slow for anything to even load, let alone stream smoothly. I was even going to try to use my phone as a hotspot to try to put something on for the kids, but my cell signal wasn't strong enough in our room. So crappy internet all around. We were one of the last rooms out on the wing, so I don't know if that's the case in all CCV rooms.

I'm actually a little worried about that for our upcoming in just over 3 weeks - staying at Copper Creek again. Since our kids are hybrid schooling, in school 2 days a week, 30-60 minute Zoom call on Wednesday, then online loaded assignments the other two days, we were going to try to have them keep up on their work and maybe do their Zoom calls as well. If the internet's bad, no way Zoom would work, but a lot of their online work includes instructional videos to watch that explain the assignment. I'm worried the internet won't even be good enough for that to work.
I would assume your in a studio right? The one bedroom side of the lock offs have the WiFi router behind the TV, so in the studios the WiFi can be worse (some WiFi routers are good and some are bad in their collection it seems). We had the same issue in one room and besides fixing it after we complained they said they will be redoing the WiFi in the near future.

I was not happy with the WiFi at Copper Creek when I was there a few years ago. The fastest WiFi I found on property was in Whispering Canyon Cafe. I uploaded my photos while I ate lunch.

Obviously that won't help for doing online classes, but if anything can be downloaded maybe try the lobby near that restaurant.

We were actually in a dedicated 2-BR (first time in anything other than a hotel room or studio - was actually a cash stay that got switched from Yacht Club to Polynesian hotel side to CCV 1-BR, then upgraded on arrival to a 2-BR). I tried it on at least 2 of the TVs, maybe all three. I know the living room and the "master" bedroom were the same - just not strong enough. I question whether there was a wifi router in the room at all because even the wifi signal strength wasn't great in any of the rooms. I also assumed the internet signal it was carrying wasn't the fastest either.

I was not happy with the WiFi at Copper Creek when I was there a few years ago. The fastest WiFi I found on property was in Whispering Canyon Cafe. I uploaded my photos while I ate lunch.

Obviously that won't help for doing online classes, but if anything can be downloaded maybe try the lobby near that restaurant.
I was thinking that if we need to, maybe I'd have them get on at those desks on the 2nd/3rd floor of the lobby kind of above Whispering Canyon - so that's good to know about it working better near there.

Some of the TVs port configuration make it hard to plug the stick into the back. I bring an extension HDMI cable that I plug into the back and then the fire stick plugs into that. It makes it more visible so I don’t forget to pack it back up and gives more room for the power plug to reach the outlets. Works great on the in room Wi-Fi
I travel for work a fair amount and second this suggestion 500%. They're only a few bucks on amazon or monoprice.com. They not only make it easier to hook them up but also allow you to reposition the stick to a better spot if the wifi isn't the greatest. HIGHLY recommend picking up at least a 3 foot HDMI extension cable for your travel bag (and an extra stick if you travel a lot, too. When I upgrade, the previous one becomes my travel one :) )

The extension cable I use: https://amzn.to/3mzyGIL

Not sure about GFV, but one potential issue is the quality of the wifi. We tried to do this at Copper Creek (stayed there this past August), and the wifi in our room was just too crappy.

Either it was resort dependent or post Covid world has changed the number of people trying to access the wi-fi at the same time. (More people WFH and online schooling.) Never had an issue streaming movies at OKW, BWV or BCV in studios or 1 bedrooms.

We couldn't get our firestick to work at CCV in February. The internet was painfully slow. We also couldn't get it to work at RIV but those tvs have screen mirroring so we got it work that way. I wish all resorts would add that feature. I will say that wifi speed at RIV wasn't that great.

See my post above - get an extension cable that allows you to move the stick around a bit. Sometimes the area behind the TV is bad if the signal is already not the greatest to begin with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter