Can I park at Target?

Lizzzys

Mouseketeer
We are staying at the Sheraton Garden Grove and I see there is a Target right across the street. Sheraton GG charges $12/day parking and I'd like to avoid this charge if possible. We plan to use the pay per day shuttle to and from DL but am wondering if it's likely that I'll get towed if I leave our rental car at the Target for the 3 days we'll be there? It is not a 24 hour store.... But aren't they like Walmart and allow overnight parking?

I mean, there is no guarantee that they will tow you, but there is CERTAINLY no guarantee that they won't! All it takes is one call from an employee that sees your car sitting in the parking lot late at night to report your vehicle and they will tow you out of there, and I assure you that it will cost a lot more to get it from the impound lot than it would if you had just paid the $36 to park for your 3-day trip. Don't risk it!

Going to Disneyland but can't afford $36? Sure makes sense!

Should of stayed further away where parking was free if it was that big of a deal.

BTW if it's not a 24 hour store, you're very likely to get caught

We have watched the tow trucks hauling cars out of various parking lots all the time. I haven't seen it in that specific lot, but I wouldn't risk it for $36. Getting your car out of impound costs upwards of $300.

I'm with the others.. honestly $36 is worth the piece of mind to me that 1. I won't get towed 2. it's parked in the hotel parking lot. I mean sure people can still get to it and break it but it's not in a parking lot and people will ignore it. I think in the hotel if something is wrong people are more likely to report it.

I wouldn't risk it. $36.00 is $10.00 @ DL. Lol

I'm not bad, I was drawn this way!

Ooooh Kayyy.... I guess I'll suck up the $36 charge and park at the hotel.

I do like to cut corners wherever I can when I travel (it's part of the fun for me!), but what really got me thinking of alternatives was the fact that I read reviews on tripadvisor that said the valet parking was slow and I figured I could eliminate the hassle altogether.

But you're right... I definitely don't want the hassle and expense of being towed... so I'll pay :)

I think they are REALLY on that in Anaheim and they get a pretty decent revenue from towing fees.

My husband has worked in retail all his life and it was not unusual for him to get to work befor 5am. One morning when the next manager arrived and went in he was surprised to see him and said he did not know he was here as his car was not in the parking lot. My husband went to look and the car was gone. It ended up that the property owner had a tow co. Go thru every night and tow the cars. Unfortunately the tow co. Went several hours later than normal that night and got my husbands car. :confused3 It was a very hefty charge but the property owner had to pay the bill. But we had to take several hours out of our day to get the car back.:mad:

So my advice would be Don't do it!

Why not just stay at a hotel that doesn't charge for parking instead?

Are you a member of the hotel's reward club (in this case, Starwood Preferred Guest)? Being a member can get you perks like free parking. We've had our parking fee removed several times at various Sheratons around the DLR area. Also, sometimes AAA offers a special rate that includes free parking. Worth looking into for future visits.

Because another cost-saving measure I use is Priceline :) No choosing which hotel you receive. Flame Away!! :flower3:

Why would you expect flames for that?

You should expect advice, though. And that is to use a site like better bidding dot com, so that you have a really solid chance of either knowing what hotel you're going to get, or what group. Like when I used them for a one night stay, I KNEW that its as either going to be the Hilton near the convention center, or some Hyatt. So I could look at their specific websites, see the charges I was likely to incur by staying there. In my specific case, both of those hotels had a hefty parking fee, and I was able to make an *informed* choice to give up my same-base-rate room at Motel6, and go with the Hilton or Hyatt and pay a bit more for parking.

It's really important to use a site like that, IMO.

If you're stuck with this hotel...why not evaluate if you REALLY need the rental car? If you're going to DLR all 3 days, are you going to be using it? We got a car once for one day; rented it from John Wayne Airport, then turned it in the next morning at the Alamo/National place on Katella. We went to Trader Joes, got DH and DS haircuts, went to Panera, did all sorts of errands in that day, and didn't need the car after that.

If I were you, I'd skip the rental car and use ART. However, I don't know what else you plan on doing, so I don't know if that's feasable for you. You'd skip the rental fee and well as the parking fee.

I LOVE to save money! coupon codes etc.. but not being sure my car will be there isn't one I will risk

Tow truck drivers often aren't kind or gentle with cars.. I had mine towed by accident and it was a hassle to get it comped and the company to pay for the repairs (Our apartment complex had assigned parking I was in my spot, but my neighbor transposed the number we were 134 she was 143.. and they towed MY car instead of the one in her spot.. I think she might of had to pay for the tow, but their insurance paid for the damage they did to my car)

When we stayed at the Marriott on the other corner in May they cautioned us to not leave a car parked in the "shopping center across the street or it will get towed".

We came in on a shuttle and they thought we had a car we were not declaring.

Also if you leave it in the Joes crab shack parking lot it will get towed also.

Because another cost-saving measure I use is Priceline :) No choosing which hotel you receive. Flame Away!! :flower3:

Ooooh we are big savers too! :wave2: We cut corners where we can so we can save the most money for Dland!! We have never been big hotel snobs or anything, to us, it's just a place to sleep. Sure, we want to try to get the best place we can for what we are willing to spend, but we don't like to spend more than $100/ night, and even that is on the high end! LOL For next time, maybe consider Hotwire's unnamed hotels! We just did this for our trip in a couple months. Not only did we get a 3.5 star hotel for 7 nights for only $399 WITH taxes and fees, but on Hotwire, you can see beforehand the general area you will be in, as well as if the hotel has free parking/breakfast and any resort fees. We made sure to purchase one with free parking and breakfast (the breakfast is particularly important to the hubs!) The only thing that is unknown is the name, until you pay. :) I like that certainty and peace of mind when handing over hundreds of dollars! hehe

Are you a member of the hotel's reward club (in this case, Starwood Preferred Guest)? Being a member can get you perks like free parking. We've had our parking fee removed several times at various Sheratons around the DLR area. Also, sometimes AAA offers a special rate that includes free parking. Worth looking into for future visits.

The OP booked through Priceline, so even if she was SPG Platinum, those benefits would not apply to this stay. At the present time, free parking is not a benefit of SPG membership, even for elites. -- Suzanne

I expected flames because I didn't think asking the question above would provoke the reaction Billibongi gave me either. It was a legitimate question. People park for free all over the US and Canada in Walmart parking lots with their RV's etc. I totally expected, was open to and listened to the advice I received.... but to insinuate I shouldn't be going to DL just because I wanted to try to be frugal in an area I thought I could?? Come on!

I did use Better Bidding as well as Bidding for Travel. I as well aware that I would likely incur parking fees in this area. It wasn't a surprise at all. When the Sheraton came up I noticed that Target is conveniently located right across the street from my hotel. YAY! Great for shopping! And like I said above, that got me wondering if it might just be cheaper/easier to do my own parking at Target to avoid the hassles that I've heard others have had with the Sheraton's valet Parking. (missing keys, vehicles left unlocked, taking a long time to fetch the vehicle) Now that I know that parking at Target will likely result in a tow... I won't do it. :) That's all I was asking.

I pricelined the car rental too (and received it for a song.... $15/day for 4 days, mid-sized) so it makes economical sense for us because there are four of us. I also usually like to take a quick trip to see the Pacific ocean while we are there. That is a big part of coming to California for us.

Why would you expect flames for that?

You should expect advice, though. And that is to use a site like better bidding dot com, so that you have a really solid chance of either knowing what hotel you're going to get, or what group. Like when I used them for a one night stay, I KNEW that its as either going to be the Hilton near the convention center, or some Hyatt. So I could look at their specific websites, see the charges I was likely to incur by staying there. In my specific case, both of those hotels had a hefty parking fee, and I was able to make an *informed* choice to give up my same-base-rate room at Motel6, and go with the Hilton or Hyatt and pay a bit more for parking.

It's really important to use a site like that, IMO.

If you're stuck with this hotel...why not evaluate if you REALLY need the rental car? If you're going to DLR all 3 days, are you going to be using it? We got a car once for one day; rented it from John Wayne Airport, then turned it in the next morning at the Alamo/National place on Katella. We went to Trader Joes, got DH and DS haircuts, went to Panera, did all sorts of errands in that day, and didn't need the car after that.

WOW Really you are willing to take the risk of having a rental car towed for a $12 daily parking fee. This is a SPG Category 2 Hotel which means it is way cheaper on points and nightly rates are a lot less than Sheraton Park or Sheraton Anaheim . Still Starwood standard and besides most Hotels have a parking fee. $12 is alot better than some metro areas at $45 per day or $55.

Why do you need a rental car ? The daily shuttle which is not part of The ART system and only stops at 1 other hotel is only $3 per day for anybody over the age of 9 is what I believe the hotel told me when I called regarding my reservation. There is lots of options from the airport to hotel that are way cheaper than renting a car.

There is a target obviously across the street to pick up some snacks etc in for your room. THey have a club floor so instead of getting a car pay for the upgrade to the club floor and enjoy the cont breakfast and bottled water . Looking at the maps there is plenty of places within walking distance to get something to eat.

I am sorry, I just do not get how everyone complains about parking at hotels. Really ? I hear it all day long being in the hotel business. I just do not get it. Take the risk but is it really worth a $36 charge for parking ??????????????:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter