California Dazzling: A Roadtrip Vacation Spectacular - Last Update and Final Thoughts 11/8

That is a cheap excuse!! :rolleyes::rotfl:

Not at all! If you try a food an absolutely hate it, no one would say you are "chicken" and scared to eat it again.

Why? And I am serious. I have no clue about hamburger presses and what they do and why a Disneyland one would be more special than a Disneyland spatula.

I just figured I'm the resident Burger Guy, so anything that combines Disney and burgers would be up my alley.

Michael says you are most likely a Philadelphia Eagles fan (and if I just butchered the team name, I am very sorry!).

Michael is correct. Being a Philadelphia Eagles fan, I am generally committed to a lifetime of pain and suffering. But we also hate the Dallas Cowboys.

I am all in favor of you becoming an Imagineer!!!!!!!!!! :cool1:

That makes two of us!

Oh, I had not made the connection!! I loved those vintage posters they have for the NPs and got quite a few as postcards!

Those postcards are fantastic! Sarah collects them, too. She has a bunch of them displayed on the closet door in her bedroom. I should snap a photo.

It was actually your trip reports that made me go out and research possible eateries.

Wow, I feel honored!

:thumbsup2 Yes, another thing I learned from your trip reports!

Soon my ego will know no bounds! But I'm glad this made for a good experience!

(Btw, sorry for not being on your trip report. I always try to keep the updates until I actually can comment on them and then I don't find the time to do that and then I don't read there... So, maybe you already announced the big summer vacation at WDW is going to be the next Captain Oblivious Family Summer Vacation!)

No, we won't be going to WDW quite yet. We figure Drew needs to be old enough to remember his first trip. And I haven't announced next year's trip yet. So come on over and get reading!:rotfl2:

They do have a large bakery case outside filled with plenty of good looking pies and such:

drooling_homer-712749_gif.png.jpg

I'll leave out the tale about the spooky old people seated in the booth next to us that had a conversation about how US media hasn't been fair in its reporting on Hitler.

Um...what?? That's a little unsettling.

BTW, for folks who don't mind driving into Sequoia I find Three Rivers a great place to stay. It is tiny, but has a Pizza Factory (smallish west coast chain), great Mexican place and in the last few years got a Subway for desperate diners.

I will need to take note of this for long-range planning.

Just another reason why we are the greatest nation on Earth.

::yes:: 'Merica!

Ok, obviously making credit card fraud even easier is a proof of quality for a country...

Ok, fine. I'll take your cash if you really want to give it away.

I took note that @Captain_Oblivious had not been here yet as the Delaware box was totally empty:

What a cheapskate! Figures he is from a state that no one actually is sure exists!

First:

delawhere-434.jpg

And second, Michael might want to take note that Florida isn't exactly representing itself well, either!:rotfl:

Looks like gorgeous country!

We generally try not to design roads with obvious hazards on the edge of pavement like that. I'm guessing historic tree specimens get special treatment.

But I totally fell in love with the sequoias! You will have to endure many more tree pictures!!

I don't mind! They look amazing.

Zooming in, you could actually see where the fire was burning!!

Wow, that seems a little too close for comfort!

Researching the accommodation options inside the park I quickly found out that National Parks seem to follow the Disney Company pricing example: charge as much as you can.

::yes:: It's just a simple demonstration of the Laws of Supply and Demand.

But it did look far more old and tired than the pictures I had seen before I booked it. Especially the carpet appeared to be ancient.

The shock came with the bathroom. It seemed to be the original bathroom they put in there when they had built the cabin in the 1940s or so:

I think when Michael saw the bathroom he lost all his faith in my trip planning abilities.

I guess I'm more used to standard National Park accommodations, because this looks perfectly fine to me! I think I've learned through the years that when you're staying inside a park, chances are the lodging will be very, very rustic and basic. No frills, old rooms, etc. But generally I've found that they're clean and provide for your basic needs. It's part of the experience!

I think they go overboard with the bear warnings because of all the stupid people who do stupid things.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people.

Because some time after 2 a.m. I woke up. I am not sure what woke me up, but I think it might have been the smell. It was smoky. Very smoky!! And it only took my brain two seconds from registering that I smelled smoke to coming to the conclusion that the cabin was on fire! And – bam – I was wide awake! I sat up and looked around. No fire to be seen. Then I remembered the wildfires and looked outside to see if the fire was already outside the cabin. Nothing there. And by then I had woken up enough to realize that somehow the wind must have turned and it was just the smoke from the fire that was still a safe distance that was now moving over to where we were and that if the fire was in any way dangerous for us, someone would come and wake us up and evacuate us. So, I went back to sleep….

I was in a dead sleep. And suddenly M was awake like ... like the cabin was on fire. It took me, even in that state, all of 10 seconds to smell it and figure out what she thought and why she woke this angry bear up from his hibernating. I was NOT happy. It was just one of those moments ...

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

Next time, just pack some marshmallows so you'll be prepared if the cabin is on fire.

And another great update. I just love all the photos of all those wonderful trees. It has been VERY long since we were last in the area and you brought back some awesome memories. Not sure if I would have liked waking up to the smell of smoke either. Guess I would have been wide awake in an instant as well.

So you liked Marie Callender's? We only went once, in Santa Barbara, and it was enough to stay away from it ever since. Maybe we should give it a try when we are in California in the summer.

But then here in Germany you always have to either sign or use your PIN for a credit card purchase, while in the US it seems to be common that they just swipe the card.

Just another reason why we are the greatest nation on Earth.

Ok, obviously making credit card fraud even easier is a proof of quality for a country...

:rotfl2::rotfl2:Just what I was thinking, Magdalene!

Before our trip Michael had gotten some coupons from a restaurant chain called Marie Callender’s

Your lunch looked really nice. I like Marie Callender's. They do fantastic comfort food.

I'll leave out the tale about the spooky old people seated in the booth next to us that had a conversation about how US media hasn't been fair in its reporting on Hitler.

I think the technical term is "There is one born every minute." I know I could not have kept my mouth shut in the face of such ignorance.

It turned out that the fire was not really close to where we were planning to stay, Grant Grove. But the rest of Kings Canyon was more or less inaccessible.

What a shame that the fires through a spanner in the works, but at least you were safe were you were going.

Some people were so nice to stand in front of one of the trees we drove past to give us some sense of how large these trees are:

DSC09606.jpg

That is seriously impressive.

I had woken up enough to realize that somehow the wind must have turned and it was just the smoke from the fire that was still a safe distance that was now moving over to where we were and that if the fire was in any way dangerous for us, someone would come and wake us up and evacuate us.

That must have been so scary. I am glad that everything was OK.

Corinna

That's great you had an extra hour until checkout!

That is always nice when you can get that! I wish they would offer it on the cruise ships!!

Nice to not have to jump on the road first thing in the morning!

Yes, this day was meant to just not have a lot to do and rush around and it worked very well.

Nice of him to join you!

Michael will always want to go to the hot tub. He could live in those things.

It's always nice when you find someone to take your extras. We usually give them to the Bell Services guys in Florida.

I never had a lot of left overs. I wonder if the Bell Services guys end up with a lot from all the different people?

I have never tried this either!

The Italian Ice is not a real delicacy, but it is something fun and different.

Ah yes a familiar weekly sight for me, although with Daylight Savings, it's been a while since I have seen it in the light.

Here the days are starting to get longer - hope you get to see it in daylight soon!

It sounds like you met some "entitled" folks who think that the rules of society do not apply to them. And people wonder why there is a whole generation of young folks who think they are "owed something" from the world, and rules don't apply to them.

::yes::

It was a tad bit more interesting to read....

Thanks for being so polite!!! :goodvibes

And not nearly the safety record of Disney.

:scared1:

Not only that but the south end of the Valley is where all the breezes send that polluted air. The mountains keep it in the south end of the Valley so it's even worse and more concentrated right as you come down the Grapevine.

I can see how that would happen.

Whew! I'm glad it worked out as a good recommendation.

It was really great and we got such a good rate!

We had several friends who lived in Tulare, one who went back home for Hospice, and then we became friends with his family. We used to have to visit for days at a time to take care of one dear friend, who we finally moved to Long Beach so that we didn't have to keep going up to "rescue" her. Unfortunately she passed away within a week of moving to her own place locally. We tried quite a few different hotels there before finding that nice one.

How sad about your friend! But I am very glad that you did so thorough hotel research there!

I might go through there on my next trip up north specifically to try that place!

I think you would like it! It is quite quirky!!

Good! I'm glad that staying in Tulare fit another need as well.

It was perfect! There were a few places where I thought we could try an outlet mall and this was the first one and we were immediately successful. Perfect! :thumbsup2

This seems to be a really popular hotel for German tourists. I have run into them at the hotel before as well.

I wonder whether it is sold by some of the German package tour companies. A lot of people would book trips to California and the South West as packages with rental cars and all the hotels pre-booked. These trips always have crazy itineraries where you spend most of the day driving from one place to the other without any real time for touring. But they seem to be very popular.

And I see that you have posted another update that I will need to catch up on once I post this one!

:thumbsup2 I am trying to move a bit quicker. I have to admit that I kind of would love to not have any trip report going for some time before my next one in order to recharge my writing batteries a little. And to have time to hang out on other people's trip reports!

:thumbsup2 I am trying to move a bit quicker. I have to admit that I kind of would love to not have any trip report going for some time before my next one in order to recharge my writing batteries a little. And to have time to hang out on other people's trip reports!

I know exactly what you mean! I am trying to wrap up my December trip before my March trip and it is becoming quite a thing! But I have at least a week before I need to have the next day posted so I think I'm OK for the next few days!

I can spend them getting caught up with comments on yours and at least a couple other's TRs!

Well, the Californian's consider the trip tip barbecue. You might not. But I am not getting involved in the American BBQ war. I am currently already under enough flak for being a "bread snob"! :sad2:
Okay, I can go with the tri tip you had being considered BBQ. At least it is a noun. As for the American BBQ war well, some people are confused and think that BBQ is actually a verb and something that you do, instead of something you eat............ :lmao: :rolleyes1

I cannot tell you how amazing those trees were for me! And these were not even the really amazing ones. But I totally fell in love with the sequoias! You will have to endure many more tree pictures!!
So I guess this is where the saying can't see the forest for the TREE came from............. :D I totally understand your sentiment.............I have made basically this same drive before, however not enough time to stop at Sequoia NP as I drove straight through to Yosemite. But there were some really impressive Sequoias there to enjoy, so I was equally impressed when I first saw them. :love:

The main room also tried to look quite nice:

DSC09630.jpg
Like a scene from I Love Lucy............ :teeth:

The shock came with the bathroom. It seemed to be the original bathroom they put in there when they had built the cabin in the 1940s or so:

DSC09628.jpg
At least they decorated the wall with a picture of a woman taking a picture with her camera............. :rotfl2: This looks a whole lot nicer than some accommodations I have had to "rough it" in when out camping when you go to the bath houses............. :scared1:

Pretty much. Although I did have the feeling that the cabin would be a bit ''rustic'', I was surprised that it really needed to be torn down and replaced by a new one. Just way too rough around the edges. I much prefer the Comfort Inn and Suites (used to be Holiday Inn Express) in Three Rivers.
Okay, so we have Magdalene the bread snob, and Michael the pampered room snob........ :scratchin :rotfl:

I asked about that and got the answer that the bear can do more damage to the car when it tries to get in than it would to the cabin (i.e. it is easier for the bear to get into the cabin than into the car!!!!) and we would be able to evacuate the cabin fast enough if the bear came in (!!!!).
You don't have to evacuate the cabin fast, you just have to evacuate faster than Michael.......... ;)

And then ... then ... it got exciting!
Hang on, this is a family site.......let's keep it PG. :faint:

Nice updates Magdalene........you got some beautiful shots of the scenery. California has some fantastic places to commune with nature! :thumbsup2

Once you have the money for the trip to WDW, hopefully all the hard work you are putting in right now will pay off and you can have those little extras! From where you are a short hop to Anaheim should be easy!

That's definitely the plan! Might even make having an AP worth it. Who knows.

I have no idea if the Revolution is still around. But some of the coasters looked very scary!!

6 Flags ramps up Coaster Scary Factors for sure! But lack the theming which IMHO outweighs a better/badder coaster.

some people are confused and think that BBQ is actually a verb and something that you do, instead of something you eat............ :lmao: :rolleyes1

I think most of the West Coast uses that verbage. I didn't know "grillin'" was something interchangeable to BBQ until a few years back. I always thought "grilling" was done inside or out.

Hello everyone, I am back!! So sorry that I took such a long absence, but somehow Michael and I have been really busy. But now he is back home, I am over the virus that I got just in time for his departure, and am full of energy to get this trip report finished!! Not that there are a lot of new travel plans in the near future, but I still have a little trip report for our winter visit to Disneyland Paris to write...

I will try to get through all the replies - please don't be offended if I do not reply to every single comment you made. I guess by now you would have forgotten what you commented on anyway because I did not reply for such a long time... :rolleyes1:eek::sad2::scared::oops:

Nice to not have to jump on the road first thing in the morning!

That is always great - and the place I would wish it could happen the most would be on a cruise ship!! I have read that on some lines you can disembark whenever you want during the changeover day. What a wonderful concept!!

It's always nice when you find someone to take your extras. We usually give them to the Bell Services guys in Florida.

That's a great idea, too!

I have never tried this either!

You should go for some Joe's ice! One could even say that it is plant based: just water and sugar! ;)

Not only that but the south end of the Valley is where all the breezes send that polluted air. The mountains keep it in the south end of the Valley so it's even worse and more concentrated right as you come down the Grapevine.

That makes sense!! Thanks for the explanation!

Whew! I'm glad it worked out as a good recommendation.

The hotel you recommended was really great! We got a great price and for one night it was perfect.

We had several friends who lived in Tulare, one who went back home for Hospice, and then we became friends with his family. We used to have to visit for days at a time to take care of one dear friend, who we finally moved to Long Beach so that we didn't have to keep going up to "rescue" her. Unfortunately she passed away within a week of moving to her own place locally. We tried quite a few different hotels there before finding that nice one.

I think it is great that you were taking care so much of her, but how sad that she passed away so quickly once you had arranged to be there for her even more!

I might go through there on my next trip up north specifically to try that place!

I am not sure if you would think it so special as I did. For me this type of food is something I just can't get here!

This seems to be a really popular hotel for German tourists. I have run into them at the hotel before as well.

I wonder if they sell beds to German package tour companies. Here are many package tour companies that offer driving tour packages to German tourist: 14 days around the South West including flights, hotels and rental car. Of course the descriptions sound great, but when you look at them you realize that you are driving 600 miles a day on average - how would you ever have time to stop and look at anything?

ETA: And now I realize that I already replied to your post once - I wonder if I said the same time this time around!!

Last edited:
Look! a mini-WL! LOL!

Yes, you can tell where Disney got its inspiration from - the National Parks!!

The drive made me homesick for the scenery. California is definitely a very beautiful state. Outside of the cities.

My guide book was talking about how spectacular California is as it has all climate zones besides the antarctic. Which now makes me wonder where the tropical rainforest is in California... But nevertheless, the impressive thing we noticed was how varied scenery and landscape was!

Glad you enjoyed Marie Calendars! I grew up on their chicken pot pies, which were to die for. Mmmm! Razzleberry pie.

I could tell that the place was very popular with locals that came from church!

In Palm Springs the joke was the last time our group was in town the hotel ran out of liquor....... All I can say is most of the group knows how to have fun.

Oh, that does sound like fun people!! :rotfl2:

Yeah you just need to get the nerve to walk in because sometimes they look dangerous.:rotfl2:

I think it was in Denmark where every place selling food has to show a sticker on the door telling the customer which "grade" they got at the last hygiene inspection by the local authorities. It came in smiley form: happy green, yellow neutral and red unhappy. I thought that was a great way to help customers. I never saw a red one though...

Smoke would do it. A bear would do it. Smoky the Bear would definitely do it.:rotfl2:

And yes I would happy to be awakened if someone smelled smoke and suspected a fire. Glad to find out it wasn't one but happy not to die in my sleep from smoke inhalation. :thumbsup2

Exactly! It was really smoky and that can be dangerous!!!

I just figured I'm the resident Burger Guy, so anything that combines Disney and burgers would be up my alley.

That makes sense!! What does one do with a burger press though?? I am sure it is a different concept from a garlic press.

Michael is correct. Being a Philadelphia Eagles fan, I am generally committed to a lifetime of pain and suffering. But we also hate the Dallas Cowboys.

I understand that concept. Nuremberg's soccer club causes its fans through lots of pain and suffering as well. It is quite well known for that. And they all hate Bayern München.

Those postcards are fantastic! Sarah collects them, too. She has a bunch of them displayed on the closet door in her bedroom. I should snap a photo.

I saw the picture on your thread - looks great!! I was hoping to put them all into one frame together. There are these frames for multiple pictures. I just need to find one with the right format.

No, we won't be going to WDW quite yet. We figure Drew needs to be old enough to remember his first trip. And I haven't announced next year's trip yet. So come on over and get reading!:rotfl2:

That makes sense. And since you announced next year's plans already, I can see why you are not so concerned that Drew will not remember that trip. :rotfl:

And second, Michael might want to take note that Florida isn't exactly representing itself well, either!:rotfl:

That's true. But have a look at Western Europe! We did quite well!

We generally try not to design roads with obvious hazards on the edge of pavement like that. I'm guessing historic tree specimens get special treatment.

I am sure the people who built the first roads there were not nearly as qualified as you are. Maybe if the imagineer thing does not work out you could apply to the National Park service to improve their roads?

I guess I'm more used to standard National Park accommodations, because this looks perfectly fine to me! I think I've learned through the years that when you're staying inside a park, chances are the lodging will be very, very rustic and basic. No frills, old rooms, etc. But generally I've found that they're clean and provide for your basic needs. It's part of the experience!

The problem was less the old than the starting to rot part of the bathroom. The main room was just old, but ok. And the beds were actually surprisingly comfortable.

And another great update. I just love all the photos of all those wonderful trees. It has been VERY long since we were last in the area and you brought back some awesome memories. Not sure if I would have liked waking up to the smell of smoke either. Guess I would have been wide awake in an instant as well.

I am happy that you enjoy the tree pictures! There will be more!!

So you liked Marie Callender's? We only went once, in Santa Barbara, and it was enough to stay away from it ever since. Maybe we should give it a try when we are in California in the summer.

Yes, it was nice. But I think there are plenty of other interesting places to eat at in California, too. We had a coupon and that made it a good choice. And I think Michael had some nostalgic feelings for it. It was definitely a place that I would go to again though.

:rotfl2::rotfl2:Just what I was thinking, Magdalene!

Oh, sometimes it is so great to have another European perspective on things!! :thumbsup2:rotfl:

Your lunch looked really nice. I like Marie Callender's. They do fantastic comfort food.

It seemed like a nice place, but I would not judge it solely on that one visit.

I think the technical term is "There is one born every minute." I know I could not have kept my mouth shut in the face of such ignorance.

Yes, unfortunately. I find it very difficult to keep my mouth shut, too, but then I also find it difficult to say something. I hate situations like that!

What a shame that the fires through a spanner in the works, but at least you were safe were you were going.

Yes, it all worked out.

That is seriously impressive.

The trees are so amazing! More pictures to come!

Okay, I can go with the tri tip you had being considered BBQ. At least it is a noun. As for the American BBQ war well, some people are confused and think that BBQ is actually a verb and something that you do, instead of something you eat............ :lmao: :rolleyes1

I am going to stay out of that BBQ war!! Sounds dangerous. I just care if my food is tasty!

So I guess this is where the saying can't see the forest for the TREE came from............. :D I totally understand your sentiment.............I have made basically this same drive before, however not enough time to stop at Sequoia NP as I drove straight through to Yosemite. But there were some really impressive Sequoias there to enjoy, so I was equally impressed when I first saw them. :love:

Yes, Mariposa Grove in Yosemite has Sequoias. However, it is currently closed for renovation. Not the trees, but the roads etc. They are actually removing the roads and put in boardwalks instead to avoid damage to the roots of the trees.

Like a scene from I Love Lucy............ :teeth:

:rotfl:

At least they decorated the wall with a picture of a woman taking a picture with her camera............. :rotfl2: This looks a whole lot nicer than some accommodations I have had to "rough it" in when out camping when you go to the bath houses............. :scared1:

At first I was :confused3 then :rotfl2:! The bathroom was generally ok, it was just rotting away in pieces - see large black spot in the corner at the bath tub.

Okay, so we have Magdalene the bread snob, and Michael the pampered room snob........ :scratchin :rotfl:

Exactly! And you will know which snobbery I consider the more sensible one! :snooty:

Actually, Michael tried to convince all my German friends and family of me being a bread snob. And they all tried to explain him that I was right and he obviously had no clue about bread!!! :rotfl2: I guess wer are a country of bread snobs!

You don't have to evacuate the cabin fast, you just have to evacuate faster than Michael.......... ;)

:thumbsup2 And let him fight with the bear! If I manage to film it, he might even get an Oscar for it!

Hang on, this is a family site.......let's keep it PG. :faint:

Nice updates Magdalene........you got some beautiful shots of the scenery. California has some fantastic places to commune with nature! :thumbsup2

Yes, it is a beautiful place!!

That's definitely the plan! Might even make having an AP worth it. Who knows.

If the DL AP prices keep rising at their current rate, you soon would have to visit daily to make it worthwhile... :sad2:

6 Flags ramps up Coaster Scary Factors for sure! But lack the theming which IMHO outweighs a better/badder coaster.

I think you will enjoy the "extra" in my Disneyland Paris trip report. There will be a few interesting observations as to the necessity of theming.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter