CABANA BAY BEACH RESORT Thread..........

So I got back from my conference. Thank you for the helpful tips.

I didn't have time to experience the pools, or much of what the hotel had to offer. While the conference was great and I learned a lot, I wont go into that here.

Had this been a family vacation, we would have come away from it pretty happy. We usually spend as much time as we can in the parks. So the hotel being clean, and the room being comfortable is key, and the Cabana Bay Beach was.

They put me in the Americana section, room 5503 (5th floor). It was very close to the elevator, but I couldn't hear that. I did hear the "neighbors" from time to time at night. If I got up against the window, and looked to the left, I could see the top of the Hulk coaster, Dr. Doom's Fearfall, Dudly Do-right.

When I was checking in, and asked, the person behind the desk said that I would have to walk to the conference areas in the Royal Pacific, so that is what I did. They had signs saying "do not cross here" at the Adventure Way intersection right out front. So instead, I ended up following the Castaway building to the walk way and bridge over Adventure Way down near the Hollywood Way intersection, then up, around and into the Sapphire Falls resort lobby and walk the rest inside... 1.25 miles one way in 75 Degrees, 80% Humidity, and sun, as you can probably imagine, I was sweating when I got there. BUT the walking too and from really helped my back feel good!! I had surgery a few years ago, and lately its been really hurting, doing that much walking, 2.5miles for the round trip, and lots of walking session to session accounted for over 5 miles each day, really helped! I know I could have tried an Uber, but I figured until one got to the hotel, and got back to drop me off between the Royal Pacific and Sapphire, it probably would have taken longer than the walking, so why spend the money.

As for the hotel. The room was nice. The beds were a little uncomfortable at first, but by the second night I found my spot and slept pretty good the rest of the week.

The conference provided breakfast and lunch, so I mostly just ate dinner at the Bayliner Diner. The food was what I expected. Basic (burgers, dogs, pizza, chicken), but good for what they had. The Jerk Chicken with basmati rice was a treat. It was seasoned perfectly, the chicken fell off the bone and was tender and juicy. Unfortunately there were evenings the condiment dispensers were empty, and the packet bowls only had honey mustard, so I had to walk around to find yellow mustard for my hotdog one night, and hamburger the other. While I got the refillable resort mug, occasionally the Coke Freestyle machines were coming up empty. I usually went for regular Coke or Vitamin Water Zero, and I'd often find the machines had categories of drinks (i.e. Coke, Powerade, Vitamin Water, Vitamin Water Zero) blacked out (i.e. empty), so I'd have to walk around and check each machine. One night, I did see a repair man working on a machine, so maybe they were just malfunctioning?

The gift shop had a nice assortment of T-shirts, towels, backpacks, and other items. So I did manage to get a few souvenirs before I checked out.

The Starbucks was always full and had a long line. I didn't stop there.
Sorry about the walking issue. There’s a line in Pirates of the Caribbean about the rules are more like guidelines. I cross there at the light, as do others, do need to exercise caution though.

Glad you enjoyed IOA.

I had a quick trip to Universal. We left early due to the Hurricane. Thought it was best to go home before the storm started coming through. We had a very nice room at Cabana Bay. It was quite fresh. It looks like the carpet had been replaced and the mattresses were great. We had a great interaction with three staff members. Front desk, housekeeping and Maintanance. We had to call maintanance due to the fact that the small refrigerator wasn't working. He came immediately and it was fixed by the time we returned from our day.

It was so clean and fresh.

I haven’t tried in years, but you used to be able to bring your own and they would inflate it for free. not sure of the current rules and prices, it may be less expensive than buying one there.

On my last trip, they now have an air hose on the side of the shack and you can just inflate it yourself. Sooooo much quicker than having to wait in line for them to do it.

Will be staying in july with my family of 4 for 2 weeks. I was planning on renting a car for the 2nd week as we still want to do some other non-universal things. I am starting to wonder if I should rent the car for 2 full weeks and just pick it up at the airport. This will save +-50$ on uber. But the car rental is 250$ more and parking will add another 140$ to that. So all in all 340$ (390-50 from the uber) more for renting the car for the full 2 weeks opposed to just 1 week. Why i'm contemplating this is because I wonder if we won't be spending a lot more than that on food for the week for a family of 4 staying onsite. I take it we would mostly eat at Cabana bay itself and maybe citiwalk a night or 2. I've got no idea of the cost of food in these restaurants. And no idea if going to a restaurant offsite would be much cheaper. Tips welcome!

Will be staying in july with my family of 4 for 2 weeks. I was planning on renting a car for the 2nd week as we still want to do some other non-universal things. I am starting to wonder if I should rent the car for 2 full weeks and just pick it up at the airport. This will save +-50$ on uber. But the car rental is 250$ more and parking will add another 140$ to that. So all in all 340$ (390-50 from the uber) more for renting the car for the full 2 weeks opposed to just 1 week. Why i'm contemplating this is because I wonder if we won't be spending a lot more than that on food for the week for a family of 4 staying onsite. I take it we would mostly eat at Cabana bay itself and maybe citiwalk a night or 2. I've got no idea of the cost of food in these restaurants. And no idea if going to a restaurant offsite would be much cheaper. Tips welcome!
Are you staying in a standard room or family suite?
you could do a grocery run either way but with the suite you have the microwave which is really nice. I’m not sure off site restaurants will save you a ton of money-maybe ask on the Where to eat thread several people post experiences with local Orlando restaurants. the food at CB is good but I’d get sick of it for two weeks lol.

I've got no idea of the cost of food in these restaurants. And no idea if going to a restaurant offsite would be much cheaper. Tips welcome!
On Universal's website you can find menus including prices for the restaurants around the resort (parks, hotels, and City Walk). Helps for budgeting & planning.

Also you can Doordash food in.

Are you staying in a standard room or family suite?
you could do a grocery run either way but with the suite you have the microwave which is really nice. I’m not sure off site restaurants will save you a ton of money-maybe ask on the Where to eat thread several people post experiences with local Orlando restaurants. the food at CB is good but I’d get sick of it for two weeks lol.
We are in a family suite.
So was hoping to shop for snacks, light lunches etc. Without a car more of a challenge unless you go for instacart etc (but nuissance that you have to be there to pick it up)

This is a very good thread damo created to help folks with menu`s and prices.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...do-including-menus-updated-regularly.2681315/

We are in a family suite.
So was hoping to shop for snacks, light lunches etc. Without a car more of a challenge unless you go for instacart etc (but nuissance that you have to be there to pick it up)
The suites are great. A lot of times we had leftovers from dinner for breakfast or lunch since the portions are usually pretty large. The kids loved the pizza at CB and would often eat that leftover for breakfast. Having a car would be convenient but then it’s the added cost. You could also use private car service from airport. It’s more expensive than Uber but will include a stop at grocery store

I did not know that this would include a stop at a grocery store. Thanks for that. I will look into it.

Found fridge photos! Now next questions - I'm weird. Condiments in Bayliner Diner - are they still individually wrapped or the older pumped style? Are peanut butter packets still out or just mustard, mayo and ketchup?

Last edited:
Further to this..does anyone know the current price?

Trying to find inner tubes in late October in Canada is proving challenging LOL.
Funny you say that. We bought our tubes several years ago from Canadian Tire! They had maple leafs all over them, and we still bring them each trip! lol I don't remember what time of year we bought them though! Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter