CA Grill menu changes : (

They did this same thing last year during free dining and then changed it back when it was over.

I don't mean to follow you from thread to thread. :) I just wanted to state that we were there last year in mid September and we did order the sushi and it was not considered an entree. So I am not sure when you ate there but in mid September they did not have it temporarily changed!

I am in a bad nightmare! More and more DDP resturants are slashing thier menus. I can't take it anymore! :sad2:

Disney announces it 2008 Deluxe Dining Plan and menus are being cut back at "regular" TS places as well as Signature Restaurants? Just a coincidence? :confused3

Did the info. about the sushi come from Disney itself? Sorry... just confused and wanted to get my facts straight.

My DH and I have been debating about eating at the CG or FF and depending on the answer might help where we go (I can't eat sushi right now being prego, so I don't care but he was only wanting to go to the CG for that reason).

I got sushi as an appetizer on the DP last year over Labor Day weekend (free dining period), the Spicy Sensation I believe.

Snake in the Grass or Yoshi's deluxe platter counted as entrees.

I still think it's going to end up being the same as last year (sushi OK as appetizer except the Snake and Yoshi's, cheese OK as dessert.) I go September 2, maybe somebody will get out there before that and report back.

The info apparently comes from a menu listing dated August 07 that is posted on the DIS menu database. It's not a scan of a menu.

I will be so disappointed if this is true. One sushi roll is not an adequate entree! We love love love sushi and I was so looking forward to sampling the sushi appetizers. This just won't do!

Hopefully it is a mistake...

Well this was not my experience last year during free dining. I have eaten at CA grill 4 x in the past year and sushi has always been an appetizer, including Snake in the Grass (which we ordered last year, not this year, but we've never been told by CM that there was a restriction, only read it here on the Disboards :confused3)
And I never saw a change between free dining time and regular time either...
I would be interested to know where the Dis boards got the updated menu from:confused3 ...and still waiting to read first hand reports.

2004 Menu :thumbsup2 :lmao:

Brick Oven Baked Flatbreads

Quadruple Cheese, Alfredo sauce, crispy garlic chips and basil chiffonade* $9.25

Cured Duck Breast with Soft Goat Cheese, Sweet Onions and Fig Essence $11.75

Grilled Chicken, Chipotle Crema, Caramelized Onions-Peppers, and Tomatillo Salsa $9.25

Roasted Portobello and Cremini Mushrooms with Red Onion Jam and Gorgonzola Cheese* $9.00

Sushi & Sashimi

Spicy Tuna Hand Roll $10.00

Sushi Sampler $11.75

"Peeky Toe" Crab California Roll with avocado and cucumber $17.00

Spicy Sensation - scallops, tuna, avocado, tobiko and fireball sauce $16.75

Sashimi Trio...Yellowfin Tuna, Salmon and Hamachi $14.50

Yoshie's Deluxe Sushi Platter $22.75

Medusa Roll with wasabi cream and teriyaki drizzle $14.00

"Snake in the Grass" - Shrimp tempura with avocado, eel and cucumber $22.00

Yellowfin Tuna Three Ways - Poki, Tartar, and Tataki $18.75

First Course

Wild Mushroom Soup with porcini custard and chives* $8.25

Hearts of Romaine Salad with Green Goddess Dressing and sourdough croutons $8.25

Warm Castroville Artichoke stuffed with crab and gulf shrimp with Meyer lemon butter $11.50

Baby Spinach Salad with Gorgonzola, Creminis, Warm Smoked Bacon Vinaigrette and Soft Cooked Egg $9.25

Sonoma Goat Cheese Ravioli with Sun-dried Tomato Nectar, Shiitake Mushrooms and shaved beaufort* $10.00

Roasted Golden Beets and Pickled Red Beets with soft Goat Cheese, cherry vinaigrette, and Honey Pine Nuts* $9.25

Shrimp and Avocado Salad with Watercress, Water Chestnuts, and Pineapple-Candied Ginger Vinaigrette $13.25

Main Course

Copper River King Salmon with Warm Spring Vegetables, Salsa Verde, and Avocado Cream $33.00

Maryland Soft-shell Crabs with Aromatic Garlic Broth, Crispy Grit Cake, and Roasted Chile Aioli $29.00

Soft Cannellini Bean and Spinach Ravioli with Artichokes, Legumes, Camembert, and Herb Broth $19.75

14 ounce Grilled New York Strip with Organic Arugula, Marble Potatoes, and Wild Mushroom Butter $35.00

Halibut Steamed with Banana Leaf, Basmati Rice, Cucumber Salad, and Fragrant Hong Kong Vinaigrette $28.00

Oak-fired Beef Filet with Three Cheese Potato Gratin, Romano beans, and Tamarind Barbecue Sauce $34.50

Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Creamy Polenta, Cremini Mushrooms, and Zinfandel Glaze $21.75

Roasted Free-Range Chicken Breast with Pea-and-Carrot Risotto, curry-citrus broth $23.00

* Vegetarian Zone ... we will cook vegetarian for you!

Desserts

Mango Crème Brulee with petite mango salad and refreshing mango frappe $8.75

Honey-scented Sponge Cake with "Peaches and Cream" and Crunchy Toffee Candy $8.25

Rich Valrhona Chocolate Torte with Caramel Berries, Blackberry Ice Cream, and Hazelnut Florentine $9.50
Cheese Please! Nancy's Hudson Valley Camembert, Beaufort, Aged Cheddar Flan, and Parmesan Crisp 9.75
Bing Cherry Napoleon with Cherry Caramel, Vanilla Panna Cotta, Crispy Phyllo, and Amorena Cherry $10.25
Warm Valrhona Chocolate Cake with Molten Center and White Chocolate Ice Cream $9.50
Purple Pluot Sorbet with Nectarine Soup, Honey-crisp Peaches, and Frozen Crème $6.75

Wines

House Wines and Sake

Mutsu-Otokoyama Sake $15.00
Macrostie Chardonnay '02 $7.75
Mason Sauvignon Blanc '01 $6.75
Kenwood White Zinfandel '02 $6.75
Honig Cabernet Sauvignon '01 $7.75
Roederer Estate "Brut" Sparkling M.V. $7.75
Ravenswood "Vintners Blend" Zinfandel '01 $6.75​

I so enjoyed the 5 cheese platter in May. It is the whole reason we made reservations for Sept.

I am going to be very upset if the cheese is considered an entree!:confused3

Once someone has returned from CA Grill on Free Dining, would you please be so kind as to confirm/deny the sushi rumor? It's not a huge deal, but I am curious, as I was seriously excited about having sushi (but not in place of an entree, and not at $20+ a roll...)

Thanks!

It really is pathetic, because CG counts as 2 TS services. A $20 entree should be a 1 TS meal.

I agree!

Once someone has returned from CA Grill on Free Dining, would you please be so kind as to confirm/deny the sushi rumor? It's not a huge deal, but I am curious, as I was seriously excited about having sushi (but not in place of an entree, and not at $20+ a roll...)

Thanks!

I'd like to hear from someone as well. Travelgirl, I do see you are going before me, so when you return will you post something here about your meal?

I have never eaten at CG and I am SO looking forward to it...especially the sushi rolls! I LOVE sushi and my DH does not care for it. So I was glad to eat somewhere that's not an "all japanese" place where he can eat what he wants.

It really is pathetic, because CG counts as 2 TS services. A $20 entree should be a 1 TS meal.
Yes, good point but with one problem. CG isn't pulling items expensive entrees like WGPs. So far, what I see is CG moving more expensive apps to the entree menu. There are many entree items over $20. Below is a menu updated this month on this website for CG:

"Snake in the Grass" Roll - Shrimp tempura with avocado, eel, and cucumber. - $22.00
Buffalo Strip Steak - Served with a corn pancake, fava beans, wild mushrooms, bacon and crispy shallots. - $36.00
California Grill Cheese Selections - Choice of any three cheeses for $11.00 or choose all five for $16.00 The Selection of Cheeses includes Bandage Wrapped Cheddar: aged for 30 months this traditional English-style cheddar is nutty and creamy with a developed tang; Mimolette: Hard, unpasteurized cow's milk cheese that is basically a matured Edam that ripens for 6 - 9 months. Intensely fruity and popular as a cooking cheese; Bergblume: raw cooked curd cow's milk cheese made in the tradition of Gruyere that is washed in a solution of herbs and flowers which give the rind a pine green color and its flavor intensely herbaceous; Juliana Goat Cheese: raw milk aged goat cheese in a small one pound wheel with herbes de Provence pressed into the rind before aging. The herbs transform the mellow flavor of the Old Kentucky Tomme; Bleu de Gex: the milk comes from the Montbeliarde cows and the spores used to come from the plants eaten by the cows, but today the bacteria is injected into the cheese.
Double Crunch Rainbow Roll - Cobia, Salmon, Tuna, Tempura crunch, and Tobikko. - $19.00
Dungeness Crab California Roll - Made with avocado and cucumber. - $17.00
Grilled Pork Tenderloin - Served with creamy goat cheese polenta, cremini mushrooms, Zinfandel glaze, and sage. - $26.00
Oak-fired Beef Filet - Served with crushed red potatoes with Nueske's bacon, green beans, and teriyaki bbq sauce. - $36.00
Pacific Halibut - Served with spring onions, chanterelle mushrooms, crushed potatoes, and red wine reduction. - $31.00
Red Snapper Fillet - Served with crispy rice galette, saute of summer vegetables, and coconut curry sauce. - $31.00
Ricotta Gnocchi Gratinee - Served with roasted tomatoes, wilted arugula, olive tapenade, and aged balsamic. - $23.00
Roasted Free Range Chicken Breast - Served with Heirloom tomato panzanella and tomato-sherry vinaigrette. - $28.00
Sashimi - Yellowfin tuna, salmon, and Hamachi. - $16.00
Sushi: Spicy Sensation - Scallops, tuna, avocado, Tobiko, and Fireball sauce. - $18.00
Wild Alaskan King Salmon - Served with fingerling potatoes, crispy bacon, baby spinach and egg vinaigrette. - $32.00
Yellowfin Tuna Three Ways - Poki, Tartar, and Tataki - $20.00
Yoshie's Deluxe Sushi Platter - Maki and Nigiri - $24.00

ooh....

ok so what should I order? hehe

If this is around on Jan 2nd, I'm ordering it! Not because of the price but because I love steak and have never had fava beans! :rotfl: If it were a lamb steak, I'd have the "Silence of the Lambs Combo". :rotfl2:

Buffalo Strip Steak - Served with a corn pancake, fava beans, wild mushrooms, bacon and crispy shallots. - $36.00

And a Chianti...:rotfl2:

Those prices are pretty close to the LeCellier and Coral Reef entrees. Both 1 TS. I wonder if they will switch any 1TS and 2 TS around after they are done tweeking the menu.

Those prices are pretty close to the LeCellier and Coral Reef entrees. Both 1 TS. I wonder if they will switch any 1TS and 2 TS around after they are done tweeking the menu.
I think that part of the reason why CG is a 2 TS meal is because of it's location. It's has the best view in all of Disney and the dinner has the fireworks show. I may agree that the lunch could be 1 TS but I don't see the dinner being 1 TS. If you rated a resturant's TS rating on menu only, HDD and character dinning would be only 1 TS.

I did look at Le Cellier and Coral Reef's menus.

Le Cellier (updated this month, on this site) While pricey, CG clearly has a more expensive menu with 6 items more than LCs most expensive item.
14 oz New York Strip Steak - Served with balsamic red onions, watercress, and roasted Yukon potatoes finished with veal demi-glace. - $26.99
7 oz Filet Mignon - Glazed with maple BBQ sauce and accompanied by cream cheese mashed potatoes. - $26.99
Beef Bourguignonne - Served with roasted mushrooms, red wine, Pappardelle noodles, and chive creme fraiche. - $21.99
Grilled Pork Chop - Served with sauteed herb gnocchi, wilted rapini, and Icewine apple butter. - $20.99 Herb Crusted Prime Rib - Served with Roasted Yukon potatoes, finished with veal demi-glace. - $21.99
Le Cellier Mushroom Filet Mignon - Baby portobella wild mushroom risotto with white truffle and herb butter sauce topped with fried parsnips. - $27.99
Seared Free-Range Chicken - Served over white beans and seasonal marinated veggies topped with lavender butter. - $19.99
Seared King Salmon - Served over sweet maple corn cake with candied walnuts and maple-ginger glaze. - $20.99
Shrimp, Scallop, & Mussel Bouillabaisse - Served over a pearl couscous with rich vegetable broth. - $22.99
Spiced Black Bean Cake - Roasted red pepper stuffed with black bean and corn dressing served with noodle salad and peanut sauce. - $15.99

Coral Reef (updated this month on this site) Going in to this, I'd have guessed that CR would be priced higher than LC but no. It's a bit less. Again, less than CG.

Blackened Catfish - Served over pepperjack cheese grits, topped with a smoked tomato compote, and drizzled with a balsamic glaze. - $20.99
Grilled Chicken Breast - Served with roasted Yukon potatoes, caramelized leeks, and pancetta vinaigrette. - $20.99
Grilled Mahi-Mahi - Served over Israeli Couscous and baby spinach with honey-soy glaze. - $25.99
Grilled NY Strip Steak - Served with potatoes au gratin and broccolini. - $21.99
Grilled Pork Chop - Served with roasted veggies and peppercorn-brandy sauce. - $21.99
Pan-seared Ahi Tuna - Served with Wasabi mashed potato and Soy glaze. - $26.99
Pesto Risotto - Made with grilled Portobello mushrooms, crumbled blue cheese, and tomato-lemon grass broth topped with crispy leeks. - $16.99
Seared Sterling Salmon - Served with Guacamole garnish and served with Wild rice medley. - $23.99
Shrimp Pasta - Served with stir-fried vegetables. - $23.99

My point is that while I agree that apps have been added to the main menu (even the desert cheese platter), the main menu is still as prices as before. Take the sushi and cheese off the entrees and see what is left:

Grilled Pork Tenderloin - Served with creamy goat cheese polenta, cremini mushrooms, Zinfandel glaze, and sage. - $26.00
Oak-fired Beef Filet - Served with crushed red potatoes with Nueske's bacon, green beans, and teriyaki bbq sauce. - $36.00
Pacific Halibut - Served with spring onions, chanterelle mushrooms, crushed potatoes, and red wine reduction. - $31.00
Red Snapper Fillet - Served with crispy rice galette, saute of summer vegetables, and coconut curry sauce. - $31.00
Ricotta Gnocchi Gratinee - Served with roasted tomatoes, wilted arugula, olive tapenade, and aged balsamic. - $23.00
Roasted Free Range Chicken Breast - Served with Heirloom tomato panzanella and tomato-sherry vinaigrette. - $28.00
Wild Alaskan King Salmon - Served with fingerling potatoes, crispy bacon, baby spinach and egg vinaigrette. - $32.00

The better argument (or at least it seems to me) is that WGPs dropped it's steaks from the menu. That is an argument I can get behind! WGPs average menu cost dropped considerably with these deleted items off. While there are some tasty entrees left, It certainly is a drop in value.

We (6 of us) ate at California Grill two nights ago. This is what I can report. Two of our party got Sushi as both appetizer and entree. I got the cheese plate as an appetizer. I knew going in that this wasn't going to be possible, but when I asked our server he said anything from the sushi, appetizer and soup/salad menu could be used as an appetizer. I asked him about the cheese plate and he said we could have it for an appetizer or for dessert.

For what it's worth, we have been in Disney for two weeks (leaving tomorrow). I think it all depends on the server you get. Fortunately, we lucked out at California Grill.

Will be posting my dining report as soon as I return.

We (6 of us) ate at California Grill two nights ago. This is what I can report. Two of our party got Sushi as both appetizer and entree. I got the cheese plate as an appetizer. I knew going in that this wasn't going to be possible, but when I asked our server he said anything from the sushi, appetizer and soup/salad menu could be used as an appetizer. I asked him about the cheese plate and he said we could have it for an appetizer or for dessert.

For what it's worth, we have been in Disney for two weeks (leaving tomorrow). I think it all depends on the server you get. Fortunately, we lucked out at California Grill.

Will be posting my dining report as soon as I return.

cool! :thumbsup2 Thank you SO SO much for posting this!

I'm sorry but I'm confused about the appetizers, entree thing. :confused3 :confused3
If I'm on the DDP I get an app, entree and desert. If I want to order something extra I can pay out of pocket for it correct? Or am I reading this right and can only order what the DDP pays for..
We were there last Sept and the meal was wonderful. We are going back in Sept 08 on the new DDP(not happy with changes but still worth it for us)(Hoping for free dining again) I'm trying to figure this out before I do my planning of ADRs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter