Buy Riviera now, but can't use any points until Dec 16....

skbyrne

Earning My Ears
Making a trip in two weeks. Have airfare and tickets. Have previously looked into DVC twice before. Backed out once, did nothing the other time. Now, looking into buying Riviera, but disappointed the points can't be used now for this trip in another DVC resort!! Doesn't seem right. I can buy Aulani at same price as Riviera, or something even cheaper $/pp, and be able to use the points right away. But I don't think I want my home resort to be in Hawaii. Does home resort really matter? I always plan my vacations about 3 months out. Any thoughts?

If you never book more than 7 months in advance then the home resort makes zero difference. However availability gets tighter and tighter each year and if you are usually booking 3 months in advance and you have fixed dates you may end up very unhappy with DVC ownership. It's not something I'd recommend and definitely not paying premium direct prices for.

Yeah, I don't think it's going to work well for you, you will just end up more frustrated than not with timeshares, and never having the availability you want. Just FYI, Riviera have resale restrictions so when you get frustrated with DVC ownership, you will take another big hit / loss when it comes time to sell if you buy Riviera. I say slow down and read and learn if you really want to purchase, DVC will still be available later.

Great3

Yeah, I don't think it's going to work well for you, you will just end up more frustrated than not with timeshares, and never having the availability you want. Just FYI, Riviera have resale restrictions so when you get frustrated with DVC ownership, you will take another big hit / loss when it comes time to sell if you buy Riviera. I say slow down and read and learn if you really want to purchase, DVC will still be available later.

Great3
What does "resale restrictions" mean? As opposed to the other established resorts? For example, we debated buying less points at the Polynesian, which is probably our favorite resort.

What does "resale restrictions" mean? As opposed to the other established resorts? For example, we debated buying less points at the Polynesian, which is probably our favorite resort.
Never mind....I found the terms of the restrictions. Definitely something to consider

Right, the original 14 resorts can still be traded out to each other, even when brought resale. If you buy Riviera direct, yes, you can still trade out, but anybody who buys from you afterwards as a resale, is now only restricted to using at Riviera.

Big difference in most people's mind, and most that buy resale, already learned and educated themselves about all the advantages and disadvantages, so they will make their offers accordingly.

Great3

Have a look at this excellent post:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/p...-studios-1-bedrooms-june-2018-update.3689931/
As you can see, if you are looking to book studios on average 3 months out the situation is pretty grim. Most of the year you would need a lot of luck just to put together a few days at the bigger resorts and during peak time you have zero chance.
1BR are slightly better but still availability is very limited and only during slow time at the bigger resorts.
If you cannot book at least 7 months out DVC will be cause of frustration for the next 50 years.
If you decide to buy, then buy SSR, since it's the cheapest resort and within 7 month SSR point and VGC/DRR/VGF points are worth the same, why pay double for the same product?

As an aside, Riviera cannot be used yet because the points and resort do not exist yet from a legal perspective. Sales right now are pre-open.

Until Riviera opens it is not a member of the timeshare association, and the real estate cannot be used.

So, thanks for the comments. I should mention that we are buying almost outright and probably have no plans to resell. We come to Disney a lot, almost every year, and probably should have done this a long time ago. We have a family of 6, so 2 studios is more economical than a 2 BR villa, and definitely over the years, better than paying outright retail rates for rooms. (We do stay at Art of Animation a lot, but my kids are getting older, and we need the bed space and the bathrooms that 2 studios offer.) So, with that being said, I will check into SS and maybe that would make more sense dollar wise, but not necessarily time wise - if I have no plans to sell. But the fact that I am paying out of pocket for this particular trip when I have decided to jump into DVC doesn't make it feel as "magical".

So, thanks for the comments. I should mention that we are buying almost outright and probably have no plans to resell. We come to Disney a lot, almost every year, and probably should have done this a long time ago. We have a family of 6, so 2 studios is more economical than a 2 BR villa, and definitely over the years, better than paying outright retail rates for rooms. (We do stay at Art of Animation a lot, but my kids are getting older, and we need the bed space and the bathrooms that 2 studios offer.) So, with that being said, I will check into SS and maybe that would make more sense dollar wise, but not necessarily time wise - if I have no plans to sell. But the fact that I am paying out of pocket for this particular trip when I have decided to jump into DVC doesn't make it feel as "magical".
If your are planning to snag two studios, you will likely find that difficult at less than 3 months out.

How can you expect to use points for a resort that is not open until mid December? I would suggest you learn more about how DVC works and it's rules. It is a very cost effective for most, but if you cannot plan ahead, more than 7 mo, you will be in for many disappointments.

As an aside, Riviera cannot be used yet because the points and resort do not exist yet from a legal perspective. Sales right now are pre-open.

Until Riviera opens it is not a member of the timeshare association, and the real estate cannot be used.
Not only that but the whole mechanism of trading doesn't work if your home resort cannot be used. Theoretically, when you book outside of your home resort, you are then creating availability at your home resort. So, if they allowed Riviera points to be traded prior to open, it would create an availability crisis.

Making a trip in two weeks. Have airfare and tickets. Have previously looked into DVC twice before. Backed out once, did nothing the other time. Now, looking into buying Riviera, but disappointed the points can't be used now for this trip in another DVC resort!! Doesn't seem right. I can buy Aulani at same price as Riviera, or something even cheaper $/pp, and be able to use the points right away. But I don't think I want my home resort to be in Hawaii. Does home resort really matter? I always plan my vacations about 3 months out. Any thoughts?
Hi!

Congrats on thinking about DVC. I’m in the same boat. Something I learned in this process (as someone who wants Hawaii for one of my contracts) is that home resort really does matter! The biggest thing I’m going over right now is how to make sure I can start planning vacations farther out, when I will get my choice of room type and resort. Best of luck and happy contract shopping! :)

It does seem like DVC would be good for you in the long run if you are pretty much going every year, if only you can just book ahead sooner at 7 months or more. The biggest benefit to buying direct from DVC is discounted Annual Gold passes, otherwise, I would rather save money via resale. Do the math, especially if you are a biag family and will buy these annual passes. As far as not selling, if you truly won't sell at all, and keep it to the end of the 50 years contract, than it doesn't matter where you really buy, and you should buy whichever resort you like best. But
I am betting needs and wants will change within the first 20 years of ownership,
and you may end up considering to sell.

We aren't against buying DVC, as most of us here are owners, we just don't want you to end up being disappointed and understand that you will need to make fundamental changes to how/when you book. If your job doesn't allow for that flexibility, than things aren't going to work out as well.

Great3

Last edited:
Does home resort really matter? I always plan my vacations about 3 months out. Any thoughts?
If you only plan 3 months in advance then DVC is not a good fit for you. Most people plan 7-11 months out, preferably 11 months to ensure they get the room they want for the time they want. I would put purchasing DVC on hold until you are at a point when you can plan further out.

I should mention that we are buying almost outright and probably have no plans to resell.
No one buys with the plans to sell. But many people buy and life gets in the way - job loss, divorce, death and people have to sell.

We have a family of 6, so 2 studios is more economical than a 2 BR villa, and definitely over the years, better than paying outright retail rates for rooms.
With a family of 6 you would definitely appreciate the space and amenities of the 2BR over 2 studios -- you can't even compare 2 studios to a 2 bedroom villa so yes it costs more points but it also provides more space, a full kitchen and laundry -- both a god sent while on vacation. Plus 2 studios may or may not be close to each other -- it can be requested but not guaranteed.

Definitly look into more economical options -- this means instead of paying outright for a direct riveria contract look at the resale market for other better buys - SSR or AKL are better options so with your money you thought you would spend to buy points to get 2 Studios at Riviera you can buy a larger resale contract at an older resort and be able to afford a 2br

It does seem like DVC would be good for you in the long run if you are pretty much going every year, if only you can just book ahead sooner at 7 months or more. The biggest benefit to buying direct from DVC is discounted Annual Gold passes, otherwise, I would rather save money via resale. Do the math, especially if you are a biag family and will buy these annual passes. As far as not selling, if you truly won't sell at all, and keep it to the end of the 50 years contract, than it doesn't matter where you really buy, and you should buy whichever resort you like best. But
I am betting needs and wants will change within the first 20 years of ownership,
and you may end up considering to sell.

We aren't against buying DVC, as most of us here are owners, we just don't want you to end up being disappointed and understand that you will need to make fundamental changes to how/when you book. If your job doesn't allow for that flexibility, than things aren't going to work out as well.

Great3
Thank you for the feedback. Yes, we are doing Annual Gold passes, as our 8 night trip in less than two weeks has us already paying over half the price in tickets alone. You make excellent points. I don't have to buy at Riviera, in fact our favorite resort is the Polynesian (it's where my husband proposed 20 yrs ago, so more of an emotional attachment than anything), but you can't beat the price of Riviera now at 188pp, with the extra incentive offer, vs 235pp if we were to go with points at Polynesian. And we can get 270 points (paying for 250) vs only 200 at Poly. Of course we considered buying Aulani for the same price, as well as the incentive offer that is still out there I think. But as I peruse the boards here, I see that many people combine or buy more resale points later. Maybe that's an option, too? And now, I see that maybe we should just buy SS for dollar value too. AND i can use my points now!

Thank you for the feedback. Yes, we are doing Annual Gold passes, as our 8 night trip in less than two weeks has us already paying over half the price in tickets alone. You make excellent points. I don't have to buy at Riviera, in fact our favorite resort is the Polynesian (it's where my husband proposed 20 yrs ago, so more of an emotional attachment than anything), but you can't beat the price of Riviera now at 188pp, with the extra incentive offer, vs 235pp if we were to go with points at Polynesian. And we can get 270 points (paying for 250) vs only 200 at Poly. Of course we considered buying Aulani for the same price, as well as the incentive offer that is still out there I think. But as I peruse the boards here, I see that many people combine or buy more resale points later. Maybe that's an option, too? And now, I see that maybe we should just buy SS for dollar value too. AND i can use my points now!

Yes, I would buy 75 points direct from DVC, and the rest of the points via resale in that case. If you don't mind any resort at all, can be happy at SSR, than that's the best deal to be had, especially if you are going to book at under 7 months anyways, at that point, all points are equal, doesn't matter what resort you own or what points the resort come from, so might as well buy one of the lowest MF's resort with one of the lowest buy-in cost. Else, buy the resort that make most sense to you.

If you buy the points direct, and there's availability at any of the DVC resorts, you can book it as you are well under the 7 months window at this point. If you buy resale, it will take 1-2 months to close on the transaction. But a DVC purchase is for the long term, you shouldn't rush the decision for this one trip.

Great3

I can beat both by buying Poly resale. Can get a good Poly contract for $150pp.

Yeah, if you really want Poly, and don't mine some sleep around points, than I would buy the 75 points direct at SSR (I believe currently $160 a point), and the rest of the points at Poly resale. That's what I would do if I were in your shoes. Just my ideas only. Only you will know exactly what you need / want. Again, lots of options. Just take it slow, and consider all aspects ( + / -) of what each prospective purchase scenario would look like. You are doing the right thing now by perusing this board and gaining as much information as possible before signing on the dotted line.

Great3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter