Buy Riviera now, but can't use any points until Dec 16....

Buying for 1 trip is probably being rather short sighted. And they'd definitely want to make certain that the reservation they wanted was able to be booked. Welcome Home bookings aren't guaranteed on availability - they'll do what they can for them though. But you can rent a reservation or pay cash or wait until after Dec 16th to go. It can be easy to get caught up in DVC and that you must own to visit but there are other ways to visit WDW too. Now if you already had a plan to purchase the other resort perhaps but maybe that should be the only resort one buys at.

You could pay cash for the trip and rent out the first points you purchase to "pay" for that cash reservation. So no, if only based on the desire to take a trip before Riviera opens I'd say it's a pretty bad idea to purchase a few points somewhere else.
It seemed like a convoluted concept to me. If they want Riviera it seems best to just buy there and do as you say for the earlier trip.

Just reading that OP wants to stay at RIV. Why? It is a point gobbler. Plus, the gondola could be a disaster. Packed all the time from pop century and other people riding it just like the monorail. Plus, no A/C. Not trying to start the debate again but Ugh. If we ever stay at RIV, it will not be often. We feel the same about GFV. Too many points and you are last on the monorail getting to magic kingdom so the darn thing is packed.

Just reading that OP wants to stay at RIV. Why? It is a point gobbler. Plus, the gondola could be a disaster. Packed all the time from pop century and other people riding it just like the monorail. Plus, no A/C. Not trying to start the debate again but Ugh. If we ever stay at RIV, it will not be often. We feel the same about GFV. Too many points and you are last on the monorail getting to magic kingdom so the darn thing is packed.
Soon you’ll be able to walk from VGF to Magic Kingdom.

Same with shared busses with the Poly. Ridiculous that deluxes share at all, but every bus that stopped at VGF was full of Poly guests. We just started using Lyft since it was just us two last trip. What a pain. I finally realized that we are just an EP resort family.

Same with shared busses with the Poly. Ridiculous that deluxes share at all, but every bus that stopped at VGF was full of Poly guests. We just started using Lyft since it was just us two last trip. What a pain. I finally realized that we are just an EP resort family.

You wouldn’t have liked staying at BWV way back when it shared MK, AK and Downtown Disney (now DS) buses with Swan, Dolphin, YC and BC and was the last stop. Sometimes the MK bus wouldn’t even stop because it was so full.

You wouldn’t have liked staying at BWV way back when it shared MK, AK and Downtown Disney (now DS) buses with Swan, Dolphin, YC and BC and was the last stop. Sometimes the MK bus wouldn’t even stop because it was so full.
I still don’t really. The one bus stop is hellacious. I am not a fan 😬, but still a better experience than VGF.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter