• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bug spray?

Husband and I travel to Disney quite often and we never take bug spray. I think we've been "bitten" twice. Once each. Now, on the trail up to Anna Ruby Falls this past weekend, husband is covered with bites.

honest question - are there mosquitos in Disney? i know they must be in Florida because ive read of Zika being there but here in NYC mosquitos feast on me and I don't think ive ever gotten bitten in Disney. LOL.

They have an excellent pest program and even use bats as part of it. You can actually see them come out near dusk if you know where to look.

I commonly find them around lights next to the lakes. Wilderness lodge dock being the worst.

We stayed at POR last week and there was a can of spray in the room at check in. However, I never saw a single mosquito. Did see purple martin houses several places. Not sure if they are new, or if I just noticed them this trip.

Disney really does do a good job at pest control, but I don't think it's unreasonable to be concerned. Disney is still offering free bug spray, but if you'd like to pack some before you go, I'd suggest Babies R Us. BRU has repellents that are safe enough to use on infants, and work well enough to use on the whole family.

For the six month old, I would check and see what your pediatrician recommends. Personally, my family's favorite is ecodiva, which is made locally in Tennessee. I think this is just sold in stores locally, but it looks like you can also buy it online. My husband and I both have skin allergies and can't wear normal bug spray so someone recommended this. It smells wonderful and works REALLY well! Plus, no allergic reactions since it's all natural products. We've taken it with us to WDW several times and have never had any bites.

I have never used butg spray at Disney and doubt I ever will.
Absolutely no reason to unless perhaps you're staying at the campsites.
Disney does an excellent job at bug control.

Have stayed at the FW Campground for too many trips to count (since opening) and have never used insect spray or even seen a mosquito, and we've stayed most times of the year. Not saying there aren't some there, but they've never invaded our personal space.
Maybe we don't taste good!
We're from LA and they sure like us there!! :)

Have a trip planned end of April and don't plan to use any repellent.

Thank you all. While I don't recall ever having an issue in the past when I have gone....I just got some bites sitting in my backyard (we just moved back to FL) the other night. So just wanted to make sure.

Can anyone confirm that they still give free bug spray? Leaving in a few days and preparing the suitcases. :)

They have an excellent pest program and even use bats as part of it. You can actually see them come out near dusk if you know where to look.

I am a HUGE fan of bats (like my family has to literally drag me away from the bat exhibit at AK) but I have never noticed them before. Can you tell me where you have seen them before? I would love to watch for them on our next trip?

I can understand WDW wanting to have bug spray available for their guests. With the amount of women of child-bearing age who visit, I imagine they want to play it as safe as possible. With that said, my DH and I always comment on the LACK of bug bites we get at WDW. I am literally a magnet for nibbling bugs (my DH gets bit and has ONE bite, I'll have 16) and have terrible reactions to them (even high does of Benadryl around the clock doesn't help when I've been bitten), but I don't think I have ever had a bug bite at WDW. We've never used bug spray in the past and I still have never been bitten. I believe WDW has a very robust program to combat mosquitos and other bitting bugs.

In all my trips I have never been bothered by bugs and bugs usually love me. On our last trip in August we went to AK at night and we definitely got lots of bug bites. I know plan to definitely use bug spray when we go see ROL.

So not to start any thing here but I just recently moved to FL and found a few bug bites on my legs. I was talking to my mom and told me to make sure I had bug spray for the kids when we go to Disney in April.

What is a good bug spray for a 2 year old and 6 month old? Something that would be good to cover the whole family but really make sure its safe for the kids.

We go to Disney every Aug./Sept. with a group of 10+ and have gone every year for over a decade and we've never used bug spray while at Disney and I can't remember any bites we've gotten. If it were me, I wouldn't bother with it. Other parts of FL., def., but we've had no problems at Disney.

It will be of some interest to know that Disney is so concerned that they now put cans of repellant in all of their resort rooms and encourage guests to use it.

And, they offer it free to guests in the parks, etc.

Oh, I totally think this is just to make them look better and make "guests feel better" about the whole Zika craze last year. I don't think they have any genuine concerns.

Of course. There are mosquitoes everywhere.

Not in Iceland.

To the topic at hand, however, I get eaten alive at home in the Boston area, and do not have the same problem in Disney. With that said, better safe than sorry. I did some quick research and bug sprays are safe for kids starting at 2 months, so I think it'll just come down to personal preference for you!

FWIW, i've never got a bug bite while at Disney, and my family and I have never used repellent while there.

I am a HUGE fan of bats (like my family has to literally drag me away from the bat exhibit at AK) but I have never noticed them before. Can you tell me where you have seen them before? I would love to watch for them on our next trip?

now that you know they are there, you'll see them flying around. I commonly catch one or two out of the corner of my eye, especially near water that has trees near it. MK I see them them the most.

The interesting spot to bat watch is in magic kingdom. You want to go on the wood bridge next to the hub between the tree near adventureland that used to be a smoking area and ye old xmas shop which has a character meet and greet behind it. When it gets closer to dusk but not completely dark yet stand on the bridge near the middle and look towards the building (it's skippers canteen). you'll see them come out from under the building and fly over you dispersing. It doesn't last long and they go all over the place once out but it's a whole community.

Last June while waiting for the Jungle Book show to start they bit us on the legs several times. I had at least 6 bites. That is the first time I have been bit while at Disney.The stupid thing is I bought bug repellent and left in the room.

It will be of some interest to know that Disney is so concerned that they now put cans of repellant in all of their resort rooms and encourage guests to use it.

And, they offer it free to guests in the parks, etc.

No just outside of RoL on a table.

Can anyone confirm that they still give free bug spray? Leaving in a few days and preparing the suitcases. :)

I think it's inconsistent in the rooms. I'm at 5-6 trips moderate and value in last 10 months and only once was it in our room (and I never saw any on housekeeping carts). But all trips, including last week, there were big pumps in the parks.

I'm completely serious.

I'm a natural mosquito magnet, but if I spray myself down with Amber Romance, I never get a bite. It's a tip I learned from a guy who used to give swamp boat tours in Louisiana.

My Mom used (and I remember reading) that Avon Skin So Soft worked too. I don't think at first they appreciated the PR on it since it was a bath product but they embraced it and now make it specific with added Picaridin, probably have to to claim it as bug spray.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter