brightline update

Behind a paywall - would you mind summarizing, please?
In a nutshell, Brightline wants to lay it's tracks along SR-417, for which they would need a lease from CFX, the local toll agency. Universal, the I-Drive lobby, and some people living along SR-417 in the Hunters Creek community want them to lay their tracks along SR-528 and stop at the Convention Center, but it would cost about an extra $1 billion.

The CFX board has no power to tell Brightline where to run their tracks, but they have the power to veto the lease along SR-417, so they've been caught in the middle.

So the update is that in yesterday's meeting, after 2 hours of whining and threats by Hunters Creek, Universal, and I-Drive, the board decided not to make a decision, and just approved a resolution to continue discussions with Brightline. They're hoping that will satisfy Florida DOT, which had required Brightline to get CFX's approval by 7/31 or risk losing their franchise to lay tracks in the I-4 right-of-way to Tampa.

MCO to Tampa officially approved..

Central Florida Expressway Authority Board cleared the way for Brightline to study a high-speed rail alignment along this corridor.
The new 17-mile-long path would connect the Brightline station at MCO to the I-4 corridor.
Brightline is still working with the Florida Department of Transportation for the corridor’s final leg that would connect Orlando and Tamp with a high-speed rail.

"Today's resolution of support brings us one step closer to connecting Orlando and Tampa with Brightline's modern, eco-friendly intercity rail service,” Christine Kefauver, Brightline's senior vice president for corporate development said.
Brightline also hopes to bring in thousands of jobs to Central Florida with the expansion.
The expansion project connecting Miami to Orlando is expected to reach completion in late 2022.

According to the MCO site, S terminal will have 15 gates. I wonder which airline will get them? If not Delta, Jet Blue or Southwest, there will be a lot of walking & luggage handling to get to the Brightline connection (which will be duplicated at DS evidently.).
And if Mears Connect is $40 or more per person, the limo service will be a better choice and more convenient for DW and I and much better for larger families.

According to the MCO site, S terminal will have 15 gates. I wonder which airline will get them? If not Delta, Jet Blue or Southwest, there will be a lot of walking & luggage handling to get to the Brightline connection (which will be duplicated at DS evidently.).
And if Mears Connect is $40 or more per person, the limo service will be a better choice and more convenient for DW and I and much better for larger families.
Brightline is not an airport shuttle. It is an intercity railroad that will stop at both Orlando Airport and WDW, with hourly service.

Of course a purpose-designed airport shuttle should be more convenient than an hourly intercity rail service which happens to stop at both locations. If it's not, the shuttle service is not doing a very good job.

To me, the real problem with using Brightline MCO-DS is not the fact that I might have to wait an hour for the next train.

It's "Okay, I'm at Disney Springs...now what???"

Obviously that is something that could be overcome with shuttles from the Brightline station, but it's still an issue for me. Rather than the intermediate train trip, I'd just take Mears or Uber.

To me, the real problem with using Brightline MCO-DS is not the fact that I might have to wait an hour for the next train.

It's "Okay, I'm at Disney Springs...now what???"

Obviously that is something that could be overcome with shuttles from the Brightline station, but it's still an issue for me. Rather than the intermediate train trip, I'd just take Mears or Uber.
IF the Disney Springs station comes to be, I'm sure there will be some sort of transportation from there, at least rideshare and taxi stations, because of the guests coming from Miami and Tampa, not just from MCO. But I'm with you, if I'm flying into MCO I'm not likely to take the Brightline train to DS. However, it might make me more likely to consider flying into Tampa than I do now!

Brightline is not an airport shuttle. It is an intercity railroad that will stop at both Orlando Airport and WDW, with hourly service.

Of course a purpose-designed airport shuttle should be more convenient than an hourly intercity rail service which happens to stop at both locations. If it's not, the shuttle service is not doing a very good job.

I never said it was a shuttle. I called it a connection.

Also this:

Among the many service enhancements Goddard outlined is the introduction of Brightline’s new mobility as a service platform that will address guests’ first and last mile connections. Delivered in partnership with software company Iomob, the new service is intended to provide guests with full door-to-door travel service, eliminating the gaps created by the first and last miles and reducing environmental impact. It will be powered by a brand new, state-of-the-art, digital platform that will make its app experience and website completely frictionless. The new mobility service is designed to provide door-to-door travel through improved access to stations, offering a selection of private luxury cars, shared shuttle services, golf carts and micro-mobility options.

and this:

Brightline’s expansion stations in Aventura and Boca Raton continue to progress. The Aventura station is currently under construction, while the Boca Raton station is expected to break ground in the coming months. Construction to Orlando has surpassed the halfway point and is on target to be complete by the end of 2022. Moreover, discussions remain underway with local stakeholders regarding expansion to Disney and Tampa.

Full press release here: brightline announces plans to resume service (gobrightline.com)

Also this:

Among the many service enhancements Goddard outlined is the introduction of Brightline’s new mobility as a service platform that will address guests’ first and last mile connections. Delivered in partnership with software company Iomob, the new service is intended to provide guests with full door-to-door travel service, eliminating the gaps created by the first and last miles and reducing environmental impact. It will be powered by a brand new, state-of-the-art, digital platform that will make its app experience and website completely frictionless. The new mobility service is designed to provide door-to-door travel through improved access to stations, offering a selection of private luxury cars, shared shuttle services, golf carts and micro-mobility options.

and this:

Brightline’s expansion stations in Aventura and Boca Raton continue to progress. The Aventura station is currently under construction, while the Boca Raton station is expected to break ground in the coming months. Construction to Orlando has surpassed the halfway point and is on target to be complete by the end of 2022. Moreover, discussions remain underway with local stakeholders regarding expansion to Disney and Tampa.

Full press release here: brightline announces plans to resume service (gobrightline.com)
Yeah. The Miami Brightline station is part of a large complex called MiamiCentral. I don't know if there is any connection between this and Brightline's door-to-door plans, but Uber has contracted for office space in 3 MiamiCentral. Their offices are supposed to open in January 2022.

• A future 84-mile rail extension between Orlando and Tampa following Interstate 4 — with a station in Disney Springs — is under environmental review. Company officials project this service could start in 2028 and push Brightline's total Florida investment to $8 billion.

A lot has to happen in the next 7 years before it becomes reality. Many of these projects start off with optimistic projections of future expansion that eventually depend on how many riders they actually get with their existing routes. You would still have the logistical issues of getting you and your luggage to your hotel from Disney Springs.

Over the last two weeks, we've done several trips on FL 528, and have seen some noticeable progress on Brightline. Previously they were working on the roadbed, but now they are putting down ties, have put up several train signals, and have laid a few miles of actual track. It's finally starting to take shape.

Over the last two weeks, we've done several trips on FL 528, and have seen some noticeable progress on Brightline. Previously they were working on the roadbed, but now they are putting down ties, have put up several train signals, and have laid a few miles of actual track. It's finally starting to take shape.
In vero beach I noticed the new signs that say high speed train.
The trains run every hour past my house. My kids love seeing them. If anyone is in south florida and wants to ride.. DL the app for a free ride .. Miami to West Palm beach

Very exciting! It seems the tracks have also been installed at MCO from 528 into the new airport station/terminal, I have noticed this on several recent flights into MCO.. Brightline cannot come soon enough!

Very exciting! It seems the tracks have also been installed at MCO from 528 into the new airport station/terminal, I have noticed this on several recent flights into MCO.. Brightline cannot come soon enough!
Agree! Our DD goes to school at UCF, so we can't wait for another option to go both ways.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter