Brightline station to be at Disney Springs

Wow. Average fare between south FL and DS is > $100/person. At that price I suspect most families will drive.
Yeah, I was surprised at that too. We'll see what the actual fare is, though. That was from a bond offer prospectus and they might have been a little exuberant on the fares. IRL, the fares will be determined by competition.

One example -- Red Coach (which my daughter uses to go back and forth from Miami to UCF) is usually $45-$50 from MIA to MCO. It takes 4 hours vs 3 hours via Brightline. And of course, there are also the options of flying or a one-way car rental.

At $100 per person for Brightline, a family of 4 would certainly have to take a long hard look at alternatives.

Wow. Average fare between south FL and DS is > $100/person. At that price I suspect most families will drive.
Yes. They said they're targeting fare for 1 person to be about the same as the cost of driving.

Mileage by the Turnpike from Miami is about 230 mi., so figure about 11 gallons of gas, around $22 at current prices. Tolls are about another $20. That's way short of $100. I don't think wear & tear & other intangibles add up to another $68.

They say there will be family discounts, and fares are lower during non-peak travel times, but hopefully the convenience of avoiding that long, boring drive up the Turnpike will be an attracter.

Mileage by the Turnpike from Miami is about 230 mi., so figure about 11 gallons of gas, around $22 at current prices. Tolls are about another $20. That's way short of $100. I don't think wear & tear & other intangibles add up to another $68.
Exactly. Not to mention that having your family in the car with you doesn't cost any more except possibly a bit worse gas mileage.

I would never pay that $100 fee, I would rent a car.
I think a lot depends on the situation.. What if they make the train a type of "magic express" on the rails with kids activities, snacks, movies etc. Perhaps it could be done is such a way like you step right off the airport monorail at MIA and straight into the WDW 'bubble' with a party atmosphere. No traffic, no lights, and with today's hi tech who knows? Maybe even resort check in and other perks on board may be possible. A train is a lot more comfy than a bus.

I think a lot depends on the situation.. What if they make the train a type of "magic express" on the rails with kids activities, snacks, movies etc. Perhaps it could be done is such a way like you step right off the airport monorail at MIA and straight into the WDW 'bubble' with a party atmosphere. No traffic, no lights, and with today's hi tech who knows? Maybe even resort check in and other perks on board may be possible. A train is a lot more comfy than a bus.
It would be a pretty straightforward thing to have a special car or two for Disney resort guests only -- a part of the adventure. It would also be doable to work out a fare arrangement where Disney got a reduced fare and part of that was worked into the room rates. I can see them working out something in the $40-$50 per person range if the demand is there.

Luggage transfer would need to be worked out. Baggage claim is in the lower level of the airport, but the MIA Mover access is on the 3rd level between the two large parking garages across from the terminals themselves. Travelers could get their own bags, elevator to the 3rd level, and use the moving walkways the rest of the way -- but it would be better if the bags were moved for them.

Possibly a better option would be a bus pickup outside baggage claim downstairs and a quick 1.5 mile ride over to the train station. Much better than a crowded MIA Mover car.

I think a bigger problem is going to be the frequency of Brightline trains from the airport. The logistical stuff can be resolved, but nobody's going to want to wait for two hours for a train.

if you believe ANY of this .... :rolleyes1

you have not watched the financial reports .... this company is gonna ask for a bail out SOON

It would be a pretty straightforward thing to have a special car or two for Disney resort guests only -- a part of the adventure. It would also be doable to work out a fare arrangement where Disney got a reduced fare and part of that was worked into the room rates. I can see them working out something in the $40-$50 per person range if the demand is there.

Luggage transfer would need to be worked out. Baggage claim is in the lower level of the airport, but the MIA Mover access is on the 3rd level between the two large parking garages across from the terminals themselves. Travelers could get their own bags, elevator to the 3rd level, and use the moving walkways the rest of the way -- but it would be better if the bags were moved for them.

Possibly a better option would be a bus pickup outside baggage claim downstairs and a quick 1.5 mile ride over to the train station. Much better than a crowded MIA Mover car.

I think a bigger problem is going to be the frequency of Brightline trains from the airport. The logistical stuff can be resolved, but nobody's going to want to wait for two hours for a train.
Great points - but what if they added a WDW waiting lounge at MIA airport in between trains? Maybe we should be imagineers..

Brightline gave a presentation to the CFX board yesterday:
  • Anticipated construction start: Q2 2023
  • Anticipated revenue service first segment (including SunRail to Airport): Q3-Q4 2026
For those interested in the details, the slides, including fairly detailed maps of the latest alignment, start on page 1145 of this 90 MB file: https://www.cfxway.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/2021-03-11-Agenda-with-attachmentsv1-2.pdf

Or for those who do not want to download all 90 MB, I copied them to my Google Drive and you should be able to view them here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O64qOTv2n3MeaeWV47sWKEaU359eeqfb/view?usp=sharing

Brightline gave a presentation to the CFX board yesterday:
  • Anticipated construction start: Q2 2023
  • Anticipated revenue service first segment (including SunRail to Airport): Q3-Q4 2026
For those interested in the details, the slides, including fairly detailed maps of the latest alignment, start on page 1145 of this 90 MB file: https://www.cfxway.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/2021-03-11-Agenda-with-attachmentsv1-2.pdf

Or for those who do not want to download all 90 MB, I copied them to my Google Drive and you should be able to view them here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O64qOTv2n3MeaeWV47sWKEaU359eeqfb/view?usp=sharing
Thanks for the update! I wish this information was more widely known. There seem to be people who still think they’ll get off the plane and onto the DME train next year.

Well that's a year better, but like Carolyn said, a lot of people are still thinking train service is going to be next year. Very interested in seeing if Disney just lets people find their own way for the 5 years or works out something with MEARS. I can't see them creating a bus to park line on their own for only a few years of return.

How about Ft Lauderdale to Miami? Thanks!

ETA - As you can see I am anxiously awaiting this train travel!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter