Brightline station to be at Disney Springs

That's really good news. DS would be the terminus for the time being - right? I'm trying to speculate if Brightline would take the place of DME. I kindof think it would, but I'm picturing how everyone's luggage would affect the schedule of the high speed rail. If Brightline is expected to be a commuter rail line the average commuter is not going to want to sit around waiting for the vacationers to get all their bags off the train at the airport.

I can't imagine Brightline replacing DME. How many DME bus trips per day? How many Brightline trains? Is anyone going to sit at the train station for 3 hours waiting for the next train?

My guess (and it's a guess) is that Brightline may not even pick up passengers at MCO on the northbound trip from Miami until their route is open all the way to Tampa.

Walt Disney World and Brightline Enter Into Agreement Regarding Brightline Station at Disney Springs

I wonder whether this will eventually lead to direct theme park transportation?

Possible transfer of Brightline checked baggage to WDW resorts?

On another thread, someone brought up the possibility of a Skyliner connection to CBR.
I will say even if they dont the uber from DS will be more affordable than from the airport... and hopefully faster than waiting on disney transport.

I will say even if they dont the uber from DS will be more affordable than from the airport... and hopefully faster than waiting on disney transport.
Right. Uber would be probably $20 or more less expensive and pickup would be virtually instantaneous.

And don't forget -- the majority of WDW visitors stay OFFsite, and therefore aren't eligible for DME anyway.

Right. Uber would be probably $20 or more less expensive and pickup would be virtually instantaneous.

And don't forget -- the majority of WDW visitors stay OFFsite, and therefore aren't eligible for DME anyway.
We have 4 people so uberxl.. it was $37 because they add the tolls in... we had DME but the line was crazy long.

I've mentioned this is several other Brightline threads, but Brightline is going to be a big plus for the following groups of people:
  • People from South Florida who don't want to drive to WDW. That's a large group of folks, many of whom now bus to Orlando.
  • People who are combining their WDW visit with a cruise from either Port Miami or Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale). Port Miami, in particular has many, many more cruise options (the busiest cruise port in the world), and there will be a Brightline terminal right on the port itself.
  • People who are combining their WDW visit with touring South Florida to see South Beach, the Florida Keys, the Everglades, etc, etc.
  • People who have better flight options/airfares flying into MIA or FLL than they have to MCO.
I'm sure Brightline will also be offering all sorts of packages combining the train fare with cruise/airfares/hotel stays at discounted prices. They are going to be very complimentary to other options.

That's really good news. DS would be the terminus for the time being - right? I'm trying to speculate if Brightline would take the place of DME. I kindof think it would, but I'm picturing how everyone's luggage would affect the schedule of the high speed rail. If Brightline is expected to be a commuter rail line the average commuter is not going to want to sit around waiting for the vacationers to get all their bags off the train at the airport.
Checked baggage.

I can't imagine Brightline replacing DME. How many DME bus trips per day? How many Brightline trains? Is anyone going to sit at the train station for 3 hours waiting for the next train?

My guess (and it's a guess) is that Brightline may not even pick up passengers at MCO on the northbound trip from Miami until their route is open all the way to Tampa.
I think they're targeting hourly service. That's what they had most of the day on the existing line before the pandemic.

There will be a maintenance facility at the airport. If the demand is there and there's money to be made, they could run shuttles to WDW between the intercity runs. It depends on how much equipment they'll have.

Nice try..but not for us, after a 9 hour flight from UK getting dropped off at DS doesn't beat DME direct to your resort hotel.

I think they're targeting hourly service. That's what they had most of the day on the existing line before the pandemic.
Yeah, but that's really targeting a completely different market.

Currently they are competing with Tri-rail, which runs from West Palm Beach to MIA airport. Also Amtrak which also ends in Hialeah, just a couple of miles north of the airport. Brightline terminates in downtown Miami currently, and will eventually terminate at Port Miami. Brightline is adding several other local South Florida stops (Boca, Aventura) in coming months to bolster that commuter market.

Nice try..but not for us, after a 9 hour flight from UK getting dropped off at DS doesn't beat DME direct to your resort hotel.
Now that depends how long you have to wait for your bus.. when we went in October and we were told 45 mins minimum. So we used uber of course this is covid so things by 2022 should be back normal

So if they drop you off at Disney Springs, how will you get to your resort? You can’t take luggage on the regular busses.

So if they drop you off at Disney Springs, how will you get to your resort? You can’t take luggage on the regular busses.
No doubt there will be a bus facility to transport people to the various resorts.

Brightline takes checked baggage. If you're arriving by train from somewhere in FL, Disney may offer to collect tagged baggage at the train station and deliver it to your resort, similar to the service from the airport.

If the train eventually replaces DME at some times of day, there's no reason the existing baggage delivery service couldn't continue as is. It is operated separately from the buses by a different contractor.

Brightline takes checked baggage. If you're arriving by train from somewhere in FL, Disney may offer to collect tagged baggage at the train station and deliver it to your resort, similar to the service from the airport.

If the train eventually replaces DME at some times of day, there's no reason the existing baggage delivery service couldn't continue as is. It is operated separately from the buses by a different contractor.
DME no longer handles incoming luggage and RAC is gone. Carry on roller bags arent allowed in regular Disney buses. Its not just checkable luggage. Disney would need to offer DME like bus service or guest would need to use ride share, taxi or car service.

The train might make it easier for Disney to transition DME from a free service to a pay service, with Disney subsidizing some of the cost

DME no longer handles incoming luggage and RAC is gone. Carry on roller bags arent allowed in regular Disney buses. Its not just checkable luggage. Disney would need to offer DME like bus service or guest would need to use ride share, taxi or car service.

I'm sure Joelkfla is perfectly aware of that, it's just that in the time frames being considered for start of Brightline service to Disney, I would expect those services will have restarted.

I'm sure Joelkfla is perfectly aware of that, it's just that in the time frames being considered for start of Brightline service to Disney, I would expect those services will have restarted.
Yes, they are saying construction is not planned to start until Miami-to-MCO is complete, so allowing 2 years for construction (which is very optimistic), WDW service would be at least 2025. They're saying the full Tampa line won't be open until 2029!

If Disney decides that it wants Guests to use Brightline from the airport, I'm sure they'll figure out a way to make it reasonably easy.

Couldn't they could run dedicated WDW express trains only for WDW visitors arriving at MIA airport (or even MCO)? In that case, a person could board at the Miami airport, and while it would take a few minutes to get all aboard with luggage, a direct run with no stops straight to WDW would be highly efficient and I would think extremely relaxing and enjoyable.

Imagine a long trip on a plane from across the country and especially from overseas countries who want to visit WDW but do not want to hassle with rental cars or busses? Couldn't this mean that even a long plane ride would become muich more easy to handle with the knowledge it would be followed by a relaxing train ride straight to WDW? Disney could run it as a type of 'Magic Express' by rail and have Disney movies and decorations onboard. Airline passengers could be met at the terminal itself, have their luggage and themselves wisked aboard the train and relax. I myself would DEFINITELY sign up and be far more likely to make even more trips to WDW.

There is also a potential cash bonanza for WDW; just imagine if this new transport service also helped to motivate people to book on-site reservations at WDW hotels and DVC resorts rather than stay off site? Imagine how much more revenue would come into WDW if guests arriving in MIA airport literally went straight to their WDW hotels and skipped all other tourist attractions in Orlando? IMO this might just be a potential gold mine for WDW and a win-win for those of us who love WDW as well as WDW itself!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter